Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

They are still involved in Super Stock NHRA and the like with the Drag Pak Challengers. Dodge knows their bread and butter, which is why the new Dodge Demon is basically being marketed as "we don't care, this thing is an animal in a straight line and gently caress you if you want anything else".

Aren't the top fuel engines based off an old Chrysler design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

iospace posted:

Aren't the top fuel engines based off an old Chrysler design?

They used to be, and still are sort of, being hemispherical heads but they are basically custom built from the ground up nowadays. The Donovan block 417's from the early 70's basically led the way for full custom built engine blocks, followed by Keith Black's 426's.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:rip: Neuville

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lol Neuville crashed on a super-special, always hilarious when that happens

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

WRC is actually pretty good so far this year??? I'm not used to WRC being entertaining.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Its only 3.8 seconds between Latvala and Tanak for the lead too after 15 stages. Always good when the standings aren't set going into Sunday. Ogier only 16 seconds down and may become a factor, but I hope he doesn't.

Østbergs rear wing fell off yesterday and he isn't in the overall contention. He changed goals to go for the record jump at Collins Crest. 42m and more than 160kph over the crest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isHqHdHxHEQ

I kinda love the bare bones nature of the WRC as well. The FIA™ WRC™ Certina™ Official Timekeeper for that stage was a slightly rusted Volvo 850 on the start line with a laptop in the back.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

WRC is cool and good but so is NHRA top fuel wackiness. It just so happens it is the Winternationals event here in Pomona and of course the once a year it should rain it would be right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug posted:

Its only 3.8 seconds between Latvala and Tanak for the lead too after 15 stages. Always good when the standings aren't set going into Sunday. Ogier only 16 seconds down and may become a factor, but I hope he doesn't.

Østbergs rear wing fell off yesterday and he isn't in the overall contention. He changed goals to go for the record jump at Collins Crest. 42m and more than 160kph over the crest.

I kinda love the bare bones nature of the WRC as well. The FIA™ WRC™ Certina™ Official Timekeeper for that stage was a slightly rusted Volvo 850 on the start line with a laptop in the back.

I love it when people are all "Eh, gently caress it, not going to win. TIME FOR FUN"

See also Project 400, which was a stunt done in Le Mans with a car that couldn't win, but topped out at 405 km/hr (252 mph) on the back stretch.

They put the chicanes in two years later.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

iospace posted:

I love it when people are all "Eh, gently caress it, not going to win. TIME FOR FUN"

See also Project 400, which was a stunt done in Le Mans with a car that couldn't win, but topped out at 405 km/hr (252 mph) on the back stretch.

They put the chicanes in two years later.

With a Delorean engine, no less!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Humbug posted:

Tanak is seriously impressing me and I think he's in for a big season, I still remember him nearly winning that rally last year in the DMACK Ford.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
So Latvala took it which is cool for him and for Toyota. This season could be quite good, and all the cars seem competitive. Ford and Toyota both have wins, despite perhaps being underdogs before the seasons. Neuville/Hyundai dominated both rallies until crashing, and will probably manage a win eventually. The Citroen might be a bit off the pace ,but they have the most resources and history, and should be able to challenge for wins eventually.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Awesome result especially for Tommi Mäkinen and Akio Toyoda who've taken quite a bit of criticism for giving the Toyota WRC effort to Tommi Mäkinen instead of continuing with Toyota Motorsport Gmbh. It is quite a feat to build a WRC team and cars from scratch in 1 ½ years and finish 2nd in the first rally and 1st in the second rally! The Yaris WRC are built at the farm where Tommi was born and where most of the 140 people employed by Toyota Gazoo Racing now work: https://www.google.fi/maps/place/To...16!4d25.7146609

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug posted:

So Latvala took it which is cool for him and for Toyota. This season could be quite good, and all the cars seem competitive. Ford and Toyota both have wins, despite perhaps being underdogs before the seasons. Neuville/Hyundai dominated both rallies until crashing, and will probably manage a win eventually. The Citroen might be a bit off the pace ,but they have the most resources and history, and should be able to challenge for wins eventually.

How mad was Ogier after not winning for once?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tanak is the real deal. Ran Ogier harder than any teammate I can remember since Loeb at the Monte, and beat him straight up here.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

iospace posted:

How mad was Ogier after not winning for once?

He was the first over to congratulate both Tommi and Latvala and seemed genuinely happy for them on the podium. He hosed up spinning on the very first corner on Sunday, so its not like he has anyone to blame but himself and to his credit, he didn't.

Tanak is definitely one to watch. He did some pretty heroic driving saving the final spot on the podium in Monte Carlo with a misfiring engine. That final corner

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Are wrc replays available anywhere? I want to check them out to see if I like it.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The youtube channel has pretty good recaps. as does Red Bull TV. If you want full replays and all the onboards you can get WRC+ for something like 5€ pr month. There isn't a continuous video stream like other events though. Only certain stages are live video, since that requires several helicopters. Speaking of which, there where some incredible heli shots today. Ill see if ill find some video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNNmCF8WYE

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Are wrc replays available anywhere? I want to check them out to see if I like it.

Motors TV shows official highlights during the week and a nightly recap of the day. Some cool person sometimes makes a torrent of those

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske to run Honda's DPi program starting next year, apparently

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138173-penske-honda-imsa-dpi-expected-in-2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

Penske to run Honda's DPi program starting next year, apparently

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/138173-penske-honda-imsa-dpi-expected-in-2018

:getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So that's Cadillac, Mazda, Honda, and the half-factory Nissan program. Four DPis, and with a possibility they could spin out more than just one team per (or that Caddy could add another car or two). And this means each WEC P2 make would have a DPi partner in the US.

It all makes far too much sense.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I can seriously see IMSA totally gutting P2 internationally with the exception of ELMS. It just seems like a far better arrangement. ACO might have to cave in eventually.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

I can seriously see IMSA totally gutting P2 internationally with the exception of ELMS. It just seems like a far better arrangement. ACO might have to cave in eventually.

On the other hand, being a WEC P2 team means you get an invite to Le Mans, and is probably a more interesting option to many single-seat washouts with money than a Europe-only short series or an American series without said LM24 invite. (And there's almost nothing stopping one-off Daytona 24 or Sebring runs too).

Keep in mind P2 is picking up the slack for a weak P1 class this year, it's just something of an Oreca benefit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

And this means each WEC P2 make would have a DPi partner in the US.

I wouldn't bet on Honda using Oreca, honestly.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

I wouldn't bet on Honda using Oreca, honestly.

Didn't Penske buy an Oreca? Or did that stall out? If not then can see Ligier with how they did with Shank or Dallara because of Indycar.

e: Funny thing, I think none of Penske's Indycar drivers can drive for him in IMSA thanks to being official GM drivers?

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 14, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Didn't Penske buy an Oreca? Or did that stall out? If not then can see Ligier with how they did with Shank or Dallara because of Indycar.

e: Funny thing, I think none of Penske's Indycar drivers can drive for him in IMSA thanks to being official GM drivers?

And his NASCAR drivers are Ford guys. They'll find a way.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

harperdc posted:

And his NASCAR drivers are Ford guys. They'll find a way.

I was more thinking they would be in direct competition to a GM car. And McMurray and Larson aren't the banner manufacturer driver like Power and Pagenaud but would love to be wrong.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most IndyCar drivers don't have personal service contracts with their manufacturer, so it makes it easier. Bourdais/Dixon/Kanaan were all in Ford GTs last year despite being Chevy drivers in indycar, and were back this year despite all being Honda drivers now.

Penske generally doesn't like to let his drivers double dip, though. He wants them focused on IndyCar etc. But hes allowed it occasionally in the past, like when he entered Briscoe and Helio in the Petit LeMans after the IndyCar season was over and they won in class.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Surely he could utilize the Australian drivers he has in v8 supercars

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In addition to Honda-Oreca, Midweek Motorsport has been rumoring an Alfa-Romeo DPi bid as well, which would make 5.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
After what happened to Donahue I can see Penske's reluctance. Not based on any emotional reason, but because it could hurt his future success.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Anyone want to buy a DeltaWing?

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/314/Historic-Race-Cars/listings/37424/2013-Panoz-DeltaWing-Coupe.html

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hell no

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
BTCC news:

The Turk's return to Beemer land has been confirmed. The grid is now all set bar two good seats - one Subaru, one BMW, that'll probably go to Warren and Collard respectively. Overall the grid is looking good; a number of seats have swapped to drivers who should be stronger and none have really gone to worse.

Collars and Warren would be the status quo. Collard could pop up at Subaru (Warren sticks to team manager role) and WSR hopefully won't fill his old BMW spot with a pay driver. Worse case is Warren continues to bed-block a Subaru that should be winning races and the BMW seat is given to a pay driver so WSR can find having AJ and Turk.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://youtu.be/vPZ7aJZW_Sg?t=1m50s

:stare:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Now that was some drat good racing

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Everyone on the stand needed new pants after that gently caress.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The FIA heard people saying WRC was good this year and decided that cannot be allowed because their cool new fast cars are apparently now too fast.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People are blowing that out of proportion, stages have been getting cancelled for having too high average speeds (which usually means it has way too many boring straight sections) for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Isn't Sweden the fastest rally of the year? Should not be much of a problem anywhere else exept maybe Finland.

• Locked thread