Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

what kind of monster takes travis wood out of the NL

He's gonna be the starting DH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Travis Wood to KC?

KC is utilizing the Dallas Stars method of acquiring championship Chicago players.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Grittybeard posted:

Unless you just love baseball that much I'm going to tell you it isn't going to be worth it. At the least do yourself a favor and watch the away broadcasts if possible.

Actually, Rex Hudler and Sal Perez are really the only reasons for a neutral fan to watch a Royals game.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've played enough MLB the Show to never, ever want to hear Rex Hudler's voice ever again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grittybeard posted:

Unless you just love baseball that much I'm going to tell you it isn't going to be worth it. At the least do yourself a favor and watch the away broadcasts if possible.

Pretty much all my relatives outside of my immediate family are White Sox fans and I spent the better part of my childhood forced to watch their home feed. I have stared into the heart of true broadcaster hell, nothing could be worse.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

what kind of monster takes travis wood out of the NL

loving Missouri! :argh:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
But what is Joe going to do without a lefty to grind down with 60+ bullpen innings of arm strain

Somewhere Rob Zastryzny is waking up with a start

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Julio Cruz posted:

I've played enough MLB the Show to never, ever want to hear Rex Hudler's voice ever again.

And just like that the side is retired.

I had it in 07, 08, and then I bought it last season. I swear they haven't rerecorded any of the voice lines in over a decade.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 14, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rex Hudler has won me over with his indomitable bro enthusiasm and constant self effacing commentary.

That said if possible always listen to Royals games on the radio

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I like Brian Anderson and Dewayne Staats looks and sounds like he stepped out of 1978. He's had a horrible perm for as long as I've been watching.

The Marlins announcers are entertaining but I never remember their names.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rand alPaul posted:

Facebook just showed me that I shared this three years ago:

Big fan of the middle infield

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm like actually shocked that Jeter didn't date one of the Williams sisters at some point.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

CubsWoo posted:

Best hand-eye coordination of their lives

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/831220539364634625

Pictured: The all-time leader for consecutive errorless games in center field in the National League.

Inspector_666 posted:

gently caress, I'm shocked he hasn't been offered a cabinet position yet.

There's already one person in the administration with a history of failed real estate ventures who likely has brain damage.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Pictured: The all-time leader for consecutive errorless games in center field in the National League.

also pictured, the Cubs franchise leader in postseason homers

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

also pictured, the Cubs franchise leader in postseason homers

That just seems weird, given how young he is. Jay at least had a long time in center with a ground ball-oriented staff to help out his streak, even if he looks awkward in the drill.

I was curious so I checked and yes, Albert is ours. 18 while playing for St. Louis.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I still think there should be a rule where once you've made contact with a base you're considered to be 'on' the base as long as your foot/hand whatever made contact is above said base.

Why above? What of someone slides a quarter inch past the base, or to the right of it? You either are ok with grey areas or not, and I'm not sure how well some sort of subjective distance or he's on and only slightly off or whatever sort of rule would have to be implemented that would work.

Actually it wouldn't work. Giving umpires the ability to arbitrarily decide what is close enough is a terrible idea.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why above? What of someone slides a quarter inch past the base, or to the right of it? You either are ok with grey areas or not, and I'm not sure how well some sort of subjective distance or he's on and only slightly off or whatever sort of rule would have to be implemented that would work.

My main complaint is someone sliding into a base feet first and popping up on the base but his foot comes 1/16th inch off of the bag. That player has been safe for basically the entire time the game has been played until the last few years, and I don't think it makes the game better to check whether he came ever so slightly off the bag after beating the throw and the tag.

quote:

Actually it wouldn't work. Giving umpires the ability to arbitrarily decide what is close enough is a terrible idea.

It's true, the neighborhood play absolutely wrecked the game. The game was unwatchable while it was around.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Who also has a negative dWAR, because errors are and always have been a trash stat.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Capacitive touch bases that light up red when touched by skin or special gloves. Boom problem solved make me Commish

Actually this doesn't solve anything but it would look cool

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

My main complaint is someone sliding into a base feet first and popping up on the base but his foot comes 1/16th inch off of the bag. That player has been safe for basically the entire time the game has been played until the last few years, and I don't think it makes the game better to check whether he came ever so slightly off the bag after beating the throw and the tag.

It's true, the neighborhood play absolutely wrecked the game. The game was unwatchable while it was around.

Those two things are not the same and you know that.

So what is the distance that someone popping off the bag should be still considered safe and how do you actually measure that?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

That just seems weird, given how young he is.

Number of Cubs postseason games from 1946 to 2014: 31
Number of Cubs postseason games from 2015 to 2016: 26

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

New Concept Hole posted:

Seeing as he's on the Mets his arm will probably just fly off at some point during the season.

He'll Dravecky himself.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Those two things are not the same and you know that.

So what is the distance that someone popping off the bag should be still considered safe and how do you actually measure that?

If you want to get litigious about things directly above the bag full stop. If someone wants to jump 100 feet in the air straight up off the bag after beating a throw while someone's glove is on him he's safe. Yes it would be ridiculous, I find it not particularly more ridiculous than calling someone out for the pop up slide.

Call everyone out if there's any question at all that they aren't above the bag, I'm fine with that too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There isn't a camera angle that exists that will be able to tell you that someone is directly above the bag though. You're simply trading one set of problems for another. As soon as someone comes 2 feet off the bag straight up and is called safe, it'll be the exact same issue.

IMO its better to have an absolute that is actually measurable (on the bag or not) then some sort of grey area where its basically educated guesswork to decide if someone is safe or not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Since my only issue is guys that quite obviously come slightly off the bag directly above it I don't find that particularly bothersome. Like I said

Grittybeard posted:

Call everyone out if there's any question at all that they aren't above the bag, I'm fine with that too.

Pop up slides are cool and good, and they shouldn't be discouraged.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Arguing that some people should be safe and others out based on the direction they come off the bag is a really bad idea!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Arguing that some people should be safe and others out based on the direction they come off the bag is a really bad idea!

I disagree with you!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Today, February 14th, the weather is warming, irises are poking up from the ground, and the Seattle Mariners pitchers and catchers are reporting to spring training.

It's a good day, folks.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Don't leave the bag and you won't get called out. I don't really see the issue with enforcing one of the most basic tenets of the game :confused:

Maybe you should only pop-up slide in situations where you won't get tootblan for it? idk I'm no joe maddon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809956

• Locked thread