Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
The peak came near the end of '89 and the Nikkei collapsed in 1990. Nippon Tech came out in '91, and the myth of Japanese dominance was still going strong at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The peak came near the end of '89 and the Nikkei collapsed in 1990. Nippon Tech came out in '91, and the myth of Japanese dominance was still going strong at that point.

I'm a bit miffed that Torg Eternity is bringing them back as Pan-Pacifica, mostly because Nippon Tech constantly abused the trope that every Asian character was a Nippon Tech or Marketplace spy, ninja, or patsy or what have you. I would rather have Marketplace be multi-ethnic so I don't expect the Chinese restaurant waitress or the Korean convenience store owner I might find in the average city to be some Kanawa assassin in disguise.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doresh posted:

Now let's think about the possibility of all those big neon AR signs containing hidden information that only shows up for the right people.

OBEY

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

It's also pre-Internet and dominance of the 24 hour new cycle. The Japan is doomed, these guys can't stop humping pillows, fluff pieces hadn't come into vogue yet. People were more focused on the collapse of the Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact than the collapsing property market in Japan.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Young Freud posted:

I'm a bit miffed that Torg Eternity is bringing them back as Pan-Pacifica, mostly because Nippon Tech constantly abused the trope that every Asian character was a Nippon Tech or Marketplace spy, ninja, or patsy or what have you. I would rather have Marketplace be multi-ethnic so I don't expect the Chinese restaurant waitress or the Korean convenience store owner I might find in the average city to be some Kanawa assassin in disguise.

It was Nippon Tech that had the explicit rule that any organization of 100 people or more had at least one traitor, too, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RandallODim posted:

It was Nippon Tech that had the explicit rule that any organization of 100 people or more had at least one traitor, too, right?

I think it was 3 or more.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rifts World Book 8: Japan Part 15: “Most of the people of the New Empire follow the ancient ways, so only samurai carry the Daisho, however, mercs, adventurers and "techno-lovers" (just about everybody else) do not give the weapons or the samurai caste the reverence they deserve and may use a Daisho, katana or wakizashi separately.”

High-Tech Weapons
Patrick Nowak & Kevin Siembieda

Appro of nothing.

Armatech Industries

... is the old international name used by "Akizuki International", a company in the Republic of Japan. So, why are they still using it even if Japan is completely isolated and it's hard as hell to say "Armatech" in Japanese? Well, it's a mystery. They were a world leader in lasers, particle beams, bionics, nanotech, and in general your usual military-industrial complex kind of things, given they sell almost exclusively to the government and the samurai class. I guess we have a samurai class in the Republic too, now? Before the rifts, they got tasked with making variations on the SAMAS (revealed to stand for "Strategic Armored Military Assault System” for the first time) and the Glitter Boy for the American Empire, so look forward to rehashes of those later on. Nonetheless, their equipment gets leaked onto the black market (lower case) all the time. It's illegal and the government will confiscate them on sight. As such, they tend to be rarer and more expensive outside of the Republic. They're polite about it and won't press charges if it seems to be some ignorant foreign adventurer, but it's not like they'll make up for the money you paid. Less cooperative people tend to get shot.

H-Brand

What does the H stand for?

:iiam:

This is a company in the Kingdom of Otomo that makes cheap knockoffs of Armatech's stuff, and though it says they're "good, reliable items", it gives a number of vague penalties to inflict on PCs that buy their crap (less durable, heavier, jams at some GM-inflicted moment). The classic gotcha move. “Oh, you wanted to save 10% on your gun, the gun jams 10% of the time, that’s balanced, yeah?”

Sometimes they just draw a real gun and say it does mega-damage.

Odds & Ends

We get some idea of what "credits" are - debit cards, mainly, that somehow have a universal standard that's anonymous (bitcoins?) but usable by anybody with the card, because down with security and up with random muggings. Some places don't use credits (gasp!) and may use barter (choke!). Well, I guess that's why they call it Bartertown. It notes that the Republic uses an incompatible credit system based on the Yen, so your money's no good here, outsider! The Empire of the Sun finds swipe machines offensive to the spirits and god and the emperor so they use barter, the most efficient way to run an economy! Even the koku was better than that, but koku.

Then, suddenly, Siembieda is dropping truth bombs about lasers. We've seen this in previous books, but it's been a long time since we reviewed Rifts Conversion Book, so we can :rolleyes: at it once again.

Do laser weapons have recoil when fired?

:eng101: What Siembieda says: No.

:eng99: What the truth is: Yes. But likely not enough to notice.

Do laser weapons make a noise when fired?

:eng101: What Siembieda says: No. That's just Star Wars + Trek with their zappity-do-dah!

:eng99: What the truth is: Lasers make a tremendous racket because they ionize the air like a lightning bolt. There's video on this, just look up pulse lasers.

What about other energy weapons?

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Ion weapons and particle beam weapons make no sound.

:eng99: What the truth is: There's no such comparable real-world weapon to an ion weapon, but if lasers ionize the air, it's very reasonable to assume an ion weapon would, and make a loud sound. Particle weapons are basically the same as a gun, just using a different kind of ammo and projection system (that is, particles rather than a bullet). Siembieda is wrong in thinking of particle beams as an “energy” weapon.

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Ion weapons and Particle Beams weapons have no recoil.

:eng99: What the truth is: Ion weapons would probably be the same as lasers and have negligible recoil. Particle beams would have recoil because they’re firing matter.

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Plasma would have recoil due to the immense release of energy.

:eng99: What the truth is: He’s correct but his explanation is wrong. Plasma would have recoil because you're firing matter, just like a gun. Just because it's in a plasma state doesn't make it "energy".

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Plasma would only make noise due to the firing mechanism.

:eng99: What the truth is: Plasma would, once again, probably make noise. It's a key component in "screaming" sonic weapons being developed and tested by the US military right now, after all!

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Gamma guns would make no noise and have no recoil.

:eng99: What the truth is: Presuming we're talking about some irradiating weapon, probably not. Siembieda is probably right. But there are no such weapons in Rifts.

What about rail guns?

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Rail guns would make noise and have recoil just like a conventional firearm.

:black101: What the truth is: Siembieda is entirely right.

Call of Duty: Republic Roguemando

With that out of the way, we can then move on to actual equipment, starting with the SNARLS Weapon System developed by Armatech (and not H-Brand) used to sense and target invisible foes, as well as provide instant identification of supernatural beings and enhanced humans. There's the Armed Forces Personnel Backpack with a variety of wilderness survival items, a homing beacon, extra ammo and weapon parts, explosives, and some variants have a radio or rail gun ammo. We get a rehash of E-Clips, and are told H-Brand makes worse E-Clips than Armatech but stat-wise they're the same. We also have Energy Canisters that provide extra ammo but give an extra penalty to hit. Vibro-Blades get re-hashed, and of course there's a vibro-katana that does more than a vibro-sword (somehow, even though they both use the same tech) and also get vibro-tanto, vibro-wakazashi, vibro-kusari-gama (the chain is not vibro, tho), vibro-yari, vibro-naginata, vibro-bisento, vibro-tiger claws (in case you need to vibro-climb?), vibro-sai, and vibro-arm claws (like TMNT's Shredder has). There's also a vibro-jitte - somehow, a blunt weapon getting the "vibro" treatment. I think there might be other uses for that. There's also an "exploding shuriken" that creates an "energy field" that only does S.D.C., which I think is an error, but so much of this book is an error it's hard to tell. Whew! I'm all vibro'd out, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea what I mean. :shrug:

Nanotech wiffleball.

Thanks to some characters getting the ability to convert S.D.C. damage to M.D.C., we get an extensive list of Japanese weapons mostly copy-pasted from earlier Palladium books with some new setting notes. To boil it down, the best one is the katana or the no-dachi, since they do the most damage and damage is the only mechanical metric. There is a cute note about vampire hunters running around with bokken, though. There’s a number of art pieces copy-pasted from the old Palladium Book of Weapons and Armor, as well. All we get for the weapon is a description, how much damage it does, and maybe a range. If you’ve seen a Palladium book you’ve already seen it, and I don’t feel the need to cover it. We then can start on with special weapons:
  • AT-N20 Neural Stick: Taser tonfa, does no mega-damage and can't jolt full body armor, but against eligible targets it gives a massive debuff that largely will take somebody out of a fight.
  • AT-AAD Anti-Armor Dissolver Missile or Grenade: A grenade filled with nano-bots that destroy mega-damage metal alloys. It takes a minute to weaken armor and about a half-hour to start destroying specific components, then goes inert after nearly an armor. As such, it's nearly useless in the pace of Rifts combat, but I guess it could be useful for sabotage. There’s a rant about how restricted this is to the military, how rare nanotech is, and how players will be lucky to get their grubby little hands on a single shot, etc.
  • AT-23 Plasma Thrower: Like a flamethrower, but plasma so it does mega-damage. Does decent damage but runs out of ammo quick.

Energy Pistols

The gun parade marches on! A lot of these have H-Brand knockoffs listed that I won't go into detail on, they usually have reduced range or ammo.

Palladium paid for a drawing of a pen.
  • AT-6 "Mini" Laser Pistol: This is a literal laser pen that does minor mega-damage. Criminals love it, police hate it! Yet the government-co-opted arms manufacturer still pumps them out... no, seriously, they drew a laser pen and put it in a book. Rifts!
  • AT-8 Laser Pistol: This is a pistol that can be used by civilians... if you work for security or are a corporate bigwig. It's for use against "supernatural beings, mutants, and corporate ninja", but given it does only 1d6 Mega-Damage, all of the above are likely to laugh and cram this piece of crap right down your Structural Damage throat.
  • AT-2 "Sharpshot" Police Special Laser Pistol: Does twice the damage of the AT-8, but twice crap is still crap. It has laser targeting for +1 to hit, but only when aiming. That's right, +5% extra accuracy makes this a "Sharpshot".
  • AT-130 Particle Beam Pistol: A military-only weapon that does decent damage that H-Brand "doesn't even know exists". What? Pay attention, H-Brand! I guess they fell asleep.
  • H-10 Combat Laser Pistol: A cheap civilian pistol that's somewhere between the AT-8 and AT-2, and is terrible, but at least it has deep ammo capacity. You do crap damage, but more of it.
  • H-13 Ion Pulse Pistol: This really looks like a submachine gun. It even says it resembles as "pre-Rifts submachine gun", but no. It does as much as a light rail gun with its bursts, which is to say it does middling damage.
Energy Rifles & Rail Guns

Like it says on the tin.

Huge scope, tiny bullpup.
  • AT-23 Police Stun Rifle: A save-or-suck weapon against normal humans that aren't in environmental suits or partial cyborgs, or full cyborgs to lesser effect. Note that the full damage setting does mega-damage and bypasses armor, so it's actually better than normal weapons against people who aren't in effective spacesuits. Even if they don't die, they're likely to be fairly helpless in a fight.
  • AT-84 "Sharpshot" Laser Rifle: A rifle-sized version of the AT-2 that is "a favorite of assassins and snipers", but I'm not sure why. It won't one-shot any armored targets and any old weapon is just as good against unarmored targets. "I'm the deadly and efficient assassin, I took him down in seven... no, eight shots!"
  • AT-88 Combat Laser Rifle: Fires a laser or grenades for generally terrible damage from either. H-Brand doesn't copy it, and I can see why.
  • AT-230 Particle Beam Rifle: A particle beam rifle that is "one of the most powerful rifles on Earth", which is only the kind of thing you can say if you haven't read the last couple sourcebooks. Hell, South America has one that does over double the damage this one does! Still, it does do solid damage.
  • ATU-80 Underwater Assault Rifle: It can fire a crappy laser or a crappy "vibro-spear" and I'm really start to wear on these minor variations on weapons most PCs aren't going to want or touch. Wow, a spear that does 1d6 Mega-Damage and takes a whole attack to reload? Yeah, I'm sure they'll be all over that.
  • H-15 "Scattergun" Shotgun: Yes, that's right, it's a shotgun named after a shotgun. It has a "short range" of 500 feet, like most shotguns, and fires explosive bullets for middling damage... twice. That's right. It has two shots that likely won't take anything down, and then takes a full attack to reload each shell. Practical.
  • AT-600 Rail Gun: Essentially the same as the corebook light rail guns, only with a slightly lower strength requirement. Page-filler.
  • AT-1200 "Super Rail Gun" A little more damage than the corebook medium rail runs with a very high strength requirement. Does about as much damage as the AT-230 above, which... has no strength requirement, and costs a third of what this does. :confused:
  • H-600 Rail Gun: Essentially the same as the medium rail guns from the corebook, only... no, essentially the same. :zzz:
  • ARC-2 "Nighthawk" Defense System: Why is it called the nighthawk? Does it fly? Well, no, but I guess it sees in the dark. It's basically an automated robotic sentry version of the AT-1200. We don't actually get any idea of its combat stats to attack with are, though- I can presume it doesn't get any combat bonuses and gets 4 attacks a round, but that's just by elimination.
  • AT-25 Pump Grenade Launcher: Grenades are pretty useless for doing damage in Rifts and this is no exception, but it has a useless laser to go along with it.

Making Guns Out of Boxes: Drawing Guns the Rifts Way.

We then get a bunch of new explosives, like concussion missiles that do less damage than other missiles of their class but almost always knock down their targets. There's heavy-hitter missiles that supposedly do more damage at reduced range, but their damage is often the same or only slightly more than other missiles in their class. There's heat-seeking missiles that get a big attack bonus with no downside. We get torpedoes and depth charges reprinted for the handful of vehicles in here that use them. Grenades are mostly just reprints outside of the concussion grenades that cause knockdown but only minor damage. And finally, we have satchel charges that can be thrown 2d4 x 10 feet (irregardless of your strength), but have a blast radius of 30 feet. Good luck not blowing yourself up!... but you can plant them normally, that’s just shade thrown at players who want to use them as thrown weapons. Mind, throwing satchel charges is something soldiers have historically done since their invention, but gently caress that, this is Rifts! Speaking of explosives, there's a CC-26 Bomb Detector... which only as a 65% chance of detecting bombs at 75 feet. Well, better than nothing, I suppose. Land mines get expanded rules, and there are a variety of special mine detectors you can now add to vehicles for 40%-90% roll, or you can use Detect Ambush or Detect Concealment rules to detect them at a -10% to -50% penalty. Yes, there are only penalties involved, never bonuses. Good luck not getting yourself blown up! :v:

Next: The Glitter Boys: Big in Japan.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

wiegieman posted:

In many ways, China is still a developing nation. Because they use so much coal they are choking on their own pollution, enough that they are seeing impacts on crop production. Comparatively large numbers of their population are rural illiterates, whereas other economies typically see a wide spread of technical skills required in those areas. They still rely heavily on sate-sponsored industrial theft rather than home-growing ideas. Most dangerous of all, they are fast approaching the point where their half-commitment to fair business cannot be propped up by government spending on fake projects and aggressive currency controls.

The Chinese Miracle is collapsing much faster than the Japanese miracle, modern Chinese pop culture is loving terrible thanks to state interference, and there is a general decline in the power and influence of nation states.

Another key thing is, China kinda realized from the get go while their getting richer and more powerful that they aren't going to ascend into pre Cold War superpower status. Japan bought into the "Japan is going to rule the world!" bullshit as much America did. Novels and self help books about the superiority of the Japanese business model, school system, and morality/family unit were huge in Japan until the early 90's when it became apparent that the decline was permanent. This corresponded into moral panic over Otaku for obvious reasons.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hey guys, let's talk about Star Frontiers in System Mastery's 88th episode. I like this one. It's relatively simple and it has great alien races in instead of just green forehead prosthetic-mans.

Edit: The episode is busted. I'll remove this when it works.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 14, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, the Star Frontiers races are great. Who doesn't want to play 'shapeshifting goo man convinced dad jokes are the highest form of comedy?"

Nobody, that's who.

Though sadly I think what killed it was "A Sci-fi game with no rules for having your own spaceships". Or...rules for Spaceships, at all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I only have dim memories of "this is neat, but what do I do with it?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, the Star Frontiers races are great. Who doesn't want to play 'shapeshifting goo man convinced dad jokes are the highest form of comedy?"

Nobody, that's who.

Though sadly I think what killed it was "A Sci-fi game with no rules for having your own spaceships". Or...rules for Spaceships, at all.

Someday I'm gonna get back to Myriad Song because it sounds like this has the same issues and virtues.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

wiegieman posted:

I think it was 3 or more.
No, it's 100 or more. The larger the group, the more traitors you'll get.

theironjef posted:

Hey guys, let's talk about Star Frontiers in System Mastery's 88th episode. I like this one. It's relatively simple and it has great alien races in instead of just green forehead prosthetic-mans.
Oh poo poo yeah Star Frontiers was my first sci-fi game. It's one of the reasons I miss boxed sets so much. Of course, the problem was (as it often was with old RPGs):

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"this is neat, but what do I do with it?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I figured the general thrust of Star Frontiers gaming was "Stumble across a scheme run by the Space Annelid Mafia and try to stop them from completing their doomsday device for vague reasons of "I keep my stuff on this planet that I can't leave because we have no idea how spaceships even work in the setting"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leaving aside amateur Sinology and so on, I think China HAS been incorporated in cyberpunk media to some extent, it's just that cyberpunk stuff fell out of fashion for a while. (One theory, bleakly, is that it wasn't fictional any more.) In Deus Ex, Hong Kong/mainland China were important locations, weren't they? Even in Neuromancer, the mcguffin was a Chinese military virus.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Nessus posted:

Leaving aside amateur Sinology and so on, I think China HAS been incorporated in cyberpunk media to some extent, it's just that cyberpunk stuff fell out of fashion for a while. (One theory, bleakly, is that it wasn't fictional any more.) In Deus Ex, Hong Kong/mainland China were important locations, weren't they? Even in Neuromancer, the mcguffin was a Chinese military virus.

The future is Chinese in Deus Ex, yeah. Also Firefly and Cowboy Bebop. It's just not as common as Japanese cyberpunk stuff is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

cyberpunk is stupid racist nerd fetish poo poo. cyberpunk and steampunk fans should be drowned en masse like that one episode in the french revolution where they drowned priests in the loire

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Steampunk's poo poo, yeah, but cyberpunk predicted a ton of stuff, and the aesthetics are cool. If you want all the Japanophilia of it with none of the tech, tho, see Ridley Scott's Black Rain.

In Australia, 'China is taking over' is a common fear. OTOH, we get new Stephen Chou movies in theatres. Looper also has a mixed Chinese & Western future (less exotic when you live in Sydney but still cool).
Where does Hong Kong cinema fit in? This is, what, the 3rd Wuxia game we've seen? And while Feng Shui is the most obvious example, World of Darkness has a ton of John Woo influence.
When I was a kid, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was huge, and the Chinese historical blockbusters I see on TV seem pretty cool & would make great RPGs.
Is there an RPG scene in China? There's like 3 Ip Man franchises, one of them's gotta have an RPG.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

icantfindaname posted:

cyberpunk is stupid racist nerd fetish poo poo. cyberpunk and steampunk fans should be drowned en masse like that one episode in the french revolution where they drowned priests in the loire

Sorry you can't enjoy good things because nerds made bad things from them, but Neuromancer is still good no matter how much garbage is pumped out by people who didn't really get it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RandallODim posted:

Sorry you can't enjoy good things because nerds made bad things from them, but Neuromancer is still good no matter how much garbage is pumped out by people who didn't really get it.

it's still bad sorry

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Young Freud posted:

Well, Pan-Pacifica implies a much broader reach than just Japan, and the Pacific region offers an extremely diverse array of peoples, and therefore possibilities for corporate spies. Throw Australia and my own home of GLORIOUS NEW ZEALAND in there and you can even have white people doing the spying if you really want. Diversity!

Full disclosure: I haven't read any of the background materials for Torg Eternity. If they're called Pan-Pacifica but restricted to just Japan, I am going to be super pissed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Sin of Onan posted:

Well, Pan-Pacifica implies a much broader reach than just Japan, and the Pacific region offers an extremely diverse array of peoples, and therefore possibilities for corporate spies.

Yeah, I've read one book that featured a Pacific Commonwealth whose founding members were the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Micronesia and the other small island nations, and the Philippines.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Dareon posted:

Actual Play - Beacon in the Black

That was a fun read!

Interesting to see noqual and the akata- they were a big chunk of a chapter from Paizo's old Second Darkness campaign, and I didn't think I'd ever see those anti-magic, zombie-making, tentacled space lions again!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Sin of Onan posted:

Well, Pan-Pacifica implies a much broader reach than just Japan, and the Pacific region offers an extremely diverse array of peoples, and therefore possibilities for corporate spies. Throw Australia and my own home of GLORIOUS NEW ZEALAND in there and you can even have white people doing the spying if you really want. Diversity!

Full disclosure: I haven't read any of the background materials for Torg Eternity. If they're called Pan-Pacifica but restricted to just Japan, I am going to be super pissed.

Yeah, Pan-Pacifica has expanded quite a bit.

e: From what I've seen, it looks like Kanawa doesn't get a foothold in the States. Probably because Kaah isn't just losing territory because metaplot anymore.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Alien Rope Burn posted:

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Plasma would have recoil due to the immense release of energy.

:eng99: What the truth is: He’s correct but his explanation is wrong. Plasma would have recoil because you're firing matter, just like a gun. Just because it's in a plasma state doesn't make it "energy".

What about rail guns?

:eng101: What Siembieda says: Rail guns would make noise and have recoil just like a conventional firearm.

:black101: What the truth is: Siembieda is entirely right.
This is really interesting. I never realized that about magnetic weapons, even though I've watched videos of people firing homemade coilguns. That said, I've read that a railgausscoilwhatever gun would allow you to fire a smaller round with greater force, reducing the recoil to the shootier, and/or that because magnetic acceleration would happen over a longer period of time, the recoil experienced by the shooter would be far milder than an equivalent bullet.

With plasma weapons, aren't you talking about an extremely small amount of matter? Most games envision a plasma weapon as firing a stream or bolt of plasma out of a reactor/tank fulla plasma, but I've always preferred David Drake's powerguns, where each shot is a plastic cartridge containing an extremely small amount of metal atoms to be ionized.

The Sin of Onan posted:

I think the most believable vision of the future of Asia I've seen in a game is Infinity, where China absorbs an economically depressed Japan and Korea. That makes a lot more sense to me than Japan pulling off that whole Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere thing in the 21st century.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 14, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's still recoil, regardless of the length of the barrel the laws of physics state that for every action there needs to be an equal and opposite reaction. The amount of force imparted to the target is the amount of force the gun+wielder system needs to absorb, but since the gun is long and heavy, and the way that the force is imparted, it would probably be more "Push back into the firer's shoulder" than "Wild muzzle climb".

Same with plasma weapons, it's an amount of matter so there will be at least some recoil.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, plasma would have recoil either way, that just varies the amount depending on the mechanism. Either way, he's wrong as to why, which is my point.

You're probably right that rail guns might not have the same "kick" or feel but the amount of force on the firer would ultimately be the same.

Granted I'm not a scientist or engineer and I could have certainly gotten something wrong as far as fictional rayguns go, but I can at least do better than Siembieda.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Recoil from personal firearms is something that - at least in declassified, online, English-language publications - has not really been extensively studied. It's possible and for most intents and purposes easy to quantify the forces and energy, which are often termed "recoil" in scientific language, but recoil-as-experienced, the physiological effect of recoil, are much less well-understood. Though for the case of high-velocity railguns, the experience of recoil will be little different from the recoil of an equivalently sized and capable firearm.

The real difference is probably that with a railgun, there's no excess exhaust gasses that contribute to recoil after the bullet has left the barrel, so you get a slight reduction in recoil compared to an equivalent firearm.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember in the UFO After-X games the early plasma weapons just contain the stuff, then decontain it in a specific direction in a horrifying aerosol mist of plasma like a shotgun.

I have no idea if that's at all plausible, but the idea of a mist of sun-hot matter is pretty metal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
My favourite idea for a "plasma shotgun" is from Mass Effect, where the gun actually launches three small toroids. On impact, the toroids arc electricity between them that flash-fries the air into plasma.

Kurieg posted:

It's still recoil, regardless of the length of the barrel the laws of physics state that for every action there needs to be an equal and opposite reaction. The amount of force imparted to the target is the amount of force the gun+wielder system needs to absorb, but since the gun is long and heavy, and the way that the force is imparted, it would probably be more "Push back into the firer's shoulder" than "Wild muzzle climb".

Same with plasma weapons, it's an amount of matter so there will be at least some recoil.
Well in the case of Hammer's Slammers powerguns, it's a plastic cartridge with a small number of precisely-aligned copper atoms in that get ionized.

In the diagrams of coilguns I've seen, multiple coils along the barrel are actually pulling the projectile forward, rather than repelling it away from the receiver. Would that make a difference? (If you have a coil near the receiver repelling while another coil near the end of the barrel is attracting, would their reactions act against each other, canceling recoil effect on the shooter but placing shear stress on the barrel?)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer Fantasy: Night's Dark Masters

The native soil of Sylvania, and its exports of misery, death, terror, and inexplicably fine wine

Sylvania has always been a harsh, gloomy, and suspicious land, located in the furthest eastern reaches of the Empire. During the ancient history of the Empire, they quietly avoided joining Sigmar's tribal confederation and refused to deal with dwarves, because they reasoned dwarves came from the same direction as the orcs and so they had to be connected. Sylvania originally struggled along in obscurity, the insular people keeping their own company and bothering no-one, until the Black Death of the 12th century post-Sigmar. The population of the county was devastated, and even moreso when first a rain of poisonous warpstone fell all over the province, and then when terrible ratmen began to spill out of the base of the World's Edge Mountains to sack and loot the place for said warpstone. Warpstone being raw, crystallized magic and something akin to a mixture of plutonium and cocaine for Skaven. They were only stopped by the intervention of Frederick van Hel, a wizard who had learned to raise the plague dead from a mysterious foreign prince (It was Vlad). Whenever foreign foes would threaten Sylvania in the future, even foreign undead, they would be met with the unquiet bodies of generations of Sylvanians. The character of the province grew even darker, their original stoicism and suspicion replaced with a blase attitude towards death and dying that would seem almost suicidal to a foreigner. The rulebook lists their major exports as death, terror, and misery.

Among the Dark Wizards who ruled Sylvania, the most prominent were the Von Draks. Count Otto von Drak's daughter, Isabella, would then become Isabella von Carstein when she wedded the foreign Prince Vladimir, who showed a remarkable knowledge of Sylvania and its ways, almost as if he had been watching the place for centuries. Up until Manfred's original defeat in the Wars of the Vampire Counts that brought an end to the fighting, Sylvania would be ruled by Von Carsteins, who were regarded as violent and horrifying but much fairer about it than the Von Draks. Afterwards, the Empire made the huge mistake of delegating the rulership of the province to many of the lesser nobles of Stirland, the neighboring province. Many of them hated their new subjects and regarded being given land in this dreary country as an insult, and took it out on their people. To the average Sylvanian, the Imperial rulers were no better than the Von Draks, certainly worse than the Von Carsteins, and worse at protecting the country than either. When Imperial Witch Hunters initiated a great purge of the province to try to root out remaining Carstein sympathizers, they only made things worse; the Sylvanians began ever more to see themselves as a separate people entirely and to hate the Imperials as tyrants and invaders. When the Von Carsteins began to return, the people of Sylvania were happy and proud to welcome them; anything but these Imperial, foreign devils!

The soil is bad. The weather is harsh. The land is riven with monsters and still shot through with dark magic from the warpstone. But the people of Sylvania pride themselves on surviving it all. Their technology is backwards and provincial, and they are suspicious to the extreme of hating all non-humans (Sylvanians would generally rather have a mutant for a neighbor than a dwarf or an elf, and are astonished the Empire tolerates them as citizens). Most Sylvanians have no idea they are technically, legally still part of the Empire and most could not tell you the current Emperor. They have their own language and many do not speak Reikspiel; similarly, foreigners are suspicious, as they might be more Stirlander tyrants or big-hatted murderers out to kill the Count. Outsiders risk being handed over as part of a village's blood tax while the locals rejoice that they will have to pay less this month. Dark wizards, necromancers, feral ghouls...all these things are common problems, and the Sylvanians bear them without complaint. That is simply the way of life: Sometimes the Count demands more and some people die. Sometimes the monsters attack and the militia and local necromancer can't stop them in time. Sometimes the crops fail and some of your people starve or you have to resort to cannibalism in the winter. Such is life, and most do not even complain. The main sop to this sort of mixture of learned helplessness and stoicism is how Sylvanians have a thousand and one small superstitions for warding off misfortune. Anything out of the ordinary could be bad luck and could draw these powerful forces to you, so you must be ready to fling salt over your shoulder or spit in your reflection to ward it off.

If you wish to play as a Sylvanian, you can choose to substitute Common Lore (Empire) from the normal human skills for speaking Sylvanian, and you can swap the normal urbane Gossip skill for Outdoor Survival if you want to be very antisocial and from one of the backwater villages, but otherwise they're normal humans. You may, of course, choose to have a ridiculous accent. I prefer to imagine they sound like the Janosz Poha from Ghost Busters, because they seem like the type to declare allegiance to 'VIGOR, SCOURGE OF THE CARPATHIANS! SORROW OF THE MOLDAVIANS!", but that's just me.

Next Time: We Make A Vampire, And The Book Assures Us They Are Not For Use As PCs Before Giving Tons Of Rules Only Useful For A Vampire PC (And Then Having A Section On Using Them As PCs Later).

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 4, 2017

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LatwPIAT posted:

The real difference is probably that with a railgun, there's no excess exhaust gasses that contribute to recoil after the bullet has left the barrel, so you get a slight reduction in recoil compared to an equivalent firearm.

I would say railguns and coilguns are more energy-efficient, in that more of the energy is used solely to accelerate the projectile than do some random explosion stuff.

Still, there's plenty of energy getting loose in their. It's why railgun barrels don't last very long.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

In the diagrams of coilguns I've seen, multiple coils along the barrel are actually pulling the projectile forward, rather than repelling it away from the receiver. Would that make a difference? (If you have a coil near the receiver repelling while another coil near the end of the barrel is attracting, would their reactions act against each other, canceling recoil effect on the shooter but placing shear stress on the barrel?)

No, cause the respective forces are the same, if you pull or are pulled by an object it is moved in the opposite direction of your movement, same as if an object pushes or is pushed by you.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

theironjef posted:

Edit: The episode is busted. I'll remove this when it works.

Seems like it's working now?

I always liked this old ad for the game.

Strangely, AFAIK one of the factors that killed Star Frontiers wasn't D&D, but sadly it was the Buck Rogers game getting focus instead. An interesting footnote is that most or all of the Star Frontiers races showed up again in Spelljammer, just renamed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

And then again in D20 Future, without the renaming! (And thus basically unplayable because of how 'well' 3.5-derived D&D handled weird race qualities like being a bug-centaur or "Can kind of half-assedly glide"

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 14, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I always liked this old ad for the game.

Strangely, AFAIK one of the factors that killed Star Frontiers wasn't D&D, but sadly it was the Buck Rogers game getting focus instead. An interesting footnote is that most or all of the Star Frontiers races showed up again in Spelljammer, just renamed.
I have a bunch of old comics with that ad in them! And I was like "How did I never ever hear about this? It's by the company that made Dungeons & Dragons!"

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Fight! - Round 2

Chapter 6: Systems and Settings (Shadow of the Game Attorney)

This is a rather short section on campaign building and GM tools. No pictures here, but I've got a few from somewhere else. You'll thank me later.

Building Thugs

Thugs are the mooks of the game, very similar to your typical beat-'em-up punks. They appear in large groups, don't have a lot of attack variety (to the point that they only have one attack eachin Fight!), and fall over easily. Instead of a small Life Bar on their own, they just get a "Life Save" akin to a tabletop wargame.

The Thugs' overall strength and the PCs skill distribution (with or without enforced hard caps by the GM) can greatly change how fights with Thugs feel. You could have swarms of Thugs that fall over like Dynasty Warriors grunts, or vicious elite mooks that can actually put up a fight. Or both at the same time.

In the corebook, Thugs were tiered into levels, from "Normal" aka level 0 for civilians up to level 5 for dangerous Thugs who hit hard and have enough Quality slots to fill up with goodies, like the ability to inflict Hit Stun (which Thugs don't do by default) or being close enough to a proper Fighter that the PCs don't gain extra actions against them.

If those 6 levels and customization options aren't enough, Round 2 introduces a point-buy system. Just write down the desired stats and effects and compare the total with the base templates to see how weak or tough the creation is.

These point-buy rules also come in handy for a certain campaign options: The first chapter of this supplement introduced the "Hidden Abilities" Weakness that locks your move set behind having to henshin, put on some power armor or whatnot. If you think that still being able to kick rear end with Basic Moves and such is still too much, how about having the PCs built their unpowered PCs as Thugs, and having them buy the new Combat Training to suck less as Thugs?
Since an unlucky save can cause Thugs to go down in one hit, fighting in this state is pretty darn scary. Still, very fitting if your campaign looks less like Street Fighter and more like Gundam or Sailor Moon. You might even pull of Metal Slug if the PCs are stuck being Thugs.

Social Combat

This is the big one. Social Combat has an odd fasciniation for certain people, as it promises to expand simple skill rolls or roleplaying with the excitement and tactical finess of the system's combat rules.
The end result of this noble goal can end up a bit weird, though: You either have something like Exalted were Social Combat is just plain mind control, or you end up with a "Lite" version of the normal combat system were everyone can do the same action.

Fight! doesn't screw around with its attempt at Social Combat and just uses everything from normal combat: the 1-dimensional map, Combos, Special Moves, even Super Moves. There's even an extra layer since everyone has a pool of points to activate fitting Qualities on themselves to gain bonuses or Weaknesses on "opponents" to give them penalties.

He will verbally juggle you out of prison.

Once everyone's on board with building "OBJECTION!!" as a Super Move, it's time to change the character creation and advancement rules. Characters now have around 50% more points to play around with, with the catch being that they have to divide these bettn normal and social stuff.
I'd probably be careful letting PCs overspecializes, lest someone derails the campaign with a Social Combat monster.

God tier, plz nerf.

Alternate Campaign Styles

This section gives a few guidelines to adapt Fight! to something less orthodox by fighting game standards:

If Capcom's excellent duology of Mystara beat-'em-up is any indication, then something like Fight! and Traditional Fantasy Gaming can work quite well. This type of campaign should make plenty use of Thugs and Dramatic Combat, where Combos aren't a thing, Moves are used more like Encounter Powers and you can use all sorts of non-combat skills to affect the outcome of the fight. PCs should also be separated into "Warriors" who are created normally and "Non-Warriors" who focus more on skills than raw combat ability.
This section also introduces a nice modifier to the Buff element that lets you Buff others to simulate support spells.

Mecha Gaming is more straightforward. Since pilots rarely fight outside of their mecha, you can usually get away with building them as a single character.

Supers Gaming probably has everyone invest in the Powers Quality, and the Dramatic Combat has probably the most cinematic feel for this type of campaign.

That's all the book hightlights, but you can easily come up with other stuff. Why, I think most of us should be familiar with a certain long-running franchise whose characters and plotlines are about as ludicrous as your typical fighting game, except conflicts are settled in a less physical way...

Duel Fighters - where every character is Testament.

FAQ

A collectin of answers, clarifications and sometimes corrections, most if not all appear to come from the game's Google group page. Very oldschool.

And then the book ends with an Appendix of all the various campaign options, and where to find them if they're from the corebook.

Bonus: Example Character (Warning: A new wall of text appears!)

Now let me whip out a character I didn't know exist until like two pages ago, using my fighting game knowledge and investigative journalism powers. I picked Power Level 3 as starting point because you can get your first Super at that point, and your defenses start to look a lot more well-rounded.

quote:

Pullum Purna

A wealthy princess from Saudi-Arabia (or just somewhere in the Middle-East, depending on the Bio) who alongside her bodyguard Darun Mister ran into a couple non-canon Street Fighter shenanigans in her quest to find her father (who may or may not have ties to Shadaloo).
Pullum is a dance battler with a heavy focus on swift kicks, including drill kicks similar to Cammy and Dhalsim, a sommersault kick that reminds me a lot of Virtua Fighter, and a downward kick like Kim from KoF would use. Sounds pretty fun.

At PL3, she has 50 points in her Life Bar (which we can't change in any way) and 30 points of Fighting Spirit (which we can raise).

The most important step for a character is figuring out the Basic Qualities of Strength, Speed and Stamina. We can pick a balanced array (1/1/0) or a specialized one (2/0/-1).
Since she's one of these fastest characters in the game, and these dance-types rarely top the health rankings, I go for Strength 0, Speed 2 and Stamina -1. To double down on the Speed, I use that 2 solely to boost Iniative, giving her a base die of 1d10 instead of 1d6. Anyone trying to go before her has to pay Fighting Spirit to keep up, which in turn helps her conserve Fighting Spirit for stuff like not trying to get hit.

Every Power Level beyond the first grants Combat Bonuses, one of the few static bonuses in the game. I put a +1 in both Control and Defense. The former makes it a bit easier to consistently pull off Combos and Special Moves, and the latter is added to the Defense Total any attacker has to beat, no matter how she's trying ot defend.
Other possible Combat Bonuses were Damage and Accuracy. The former is only added once per attack, not for each hit in a combo.

Next up are Combat Skills. There are 11 points to spend, with the three defensive skills (Defense, Evasion and Tactics) currently having a hard cap of 3. I go for Defense 2 and the other two at 3, leaving 3 points for Combo and 1 in Ki (which we need for the Super later).
The 3 points in Combo allow for 3-hit Combos. We can later increase these Skills later.

Non-Combat Skills are your "normal" skills. We have 35 points to spend, with a current maximum of 9 in any given one.
Agility and Thug Thrashing are primarily used when dealing with Thugs. The former makes it harder to for them to hit with ranged attacks like guns, while the latter grants extra attacks against Thugs. 5 points in each sounds good in case some punks or Shadaloo soldiers show up.

SInce Pullum is rich belly dancer, I can probably not go wrong with spreading the remaining points among Acrobatics, Athletics (for general gymnastics stuff), High Society (etiquette), Performance (belly dancing), Presence (basically posing to get everyone's attention), Smooth Talking (diplomacy). So far, so good.

Qualities, Weaknesses and Quirks are for you merits and flaws. Pullum currently has 5 Qualities to pick from, and can potentially gain more through Weaknesses. Leftover Qualities can be turned into Fighting Spirit or Combat Skill points.

A Quality she'll most definitely need is Technique, since she's one of the few characters in Street Fighter Ex with a double jump (which got turned into a Move in EX3, but man does that sound awkward). This lets her boost her Evasion if need be.

Fight! has a bunch of Qualities that give little bonuses to various forms of interaction depending on what fighting game tropes a characters falls into. Pullum definitely qualifies for Attractive, Charming and Sexy. Only characters like Mai Shiranui would serve as better faces of the party.
Being wealthy also easily qualifies her for the Wealth Quality. Having the party travel across the globe should be no issue.

Since one of her goals is finding out what happened to her father, this could qualify for a Weakness, probably a Vow of sorts that can tempt her into making poor decisions.
This Weakness grants us an extra Quality, which we'll keep in reserve for now.

Quirks are harmless character flaws or similar things that make the character stand out. Around 1-2 per character sound okay. I give her Distinctive Appearance because she's a belly dancer and Clueless because she messes around with Shadaloo despite not knowing a lot about them. Impulsive could also work.

Now onto the fun part: Special Moves! We have 30 points to get those. And since they are in just about every fighting game known to man, I also give her a free Sweep and Basic Throw to go with it.
The Sweep is a Command Move that deals damage comparable to a Basic Move, but also hits low (more accurate against blocks, less so against evasions) and knocks down. The Basic Throw is a L2 Special Move with the Throw Element, leaving 1 free slot for customization. Her most basic throw is Ordence Foot, where she grabs the opponent and gives him a hard kick. I'll go with Hurl for more knockback and to occasionally kick the opponent against a wall or something.

She also has a somewhat more elaborate (L3) throw called Neck Factor which I'll add because Frankensteiners are always fun. Smashing headfirst into the ground gotta hurt, so more damage it is. Position Shift also seems fitting, which adds some options if there are more opponents or Environmental Hazards around.

For a fast Command Move (aka L2), she has the Alacer Wrist, which has her step forward and do a punch. I'll add a bit of Fast Recovery so she can use this to prepare for the next turn.

Her first proper Special Move is Drill Purrus, a forward spinning drill kick like Cammy. It's a L3 because it is pulled of with the standard Hadoken motion, and it gets the Elements Mobile (to move farther before attacking) and Knockback Advance (which causes her to stay close to the opponent after the knockback). This leaves 2 more Slots, which go into Damage.
She can also use the Move in the air, which is build as its own Move. It has L4 (gotta press some "up" direction to jump first), and the exra slot goes into Aerial. This puts her in risk of eating a Shoryuken, but any other type of interrupt or counter will be easier to avoid since she's airborne.

Purim Kick is basically a Shoryuken (aka a L4 Move), except done as a backward somersault kick. It's an anti-air Move that knocks down on a hit, but allows no prior movement because she's just jumping in place. Since the kick comes out quite fast I also go for the Subtle Element, which makes the Move harder to counter. The rest goes yet again into damage.

Ten'el Kick (a L3) is a downward kick. She can jump over projectiles with this, so it gets an Evades Ranged, with Move Before Attack because we're in the supplement now. I also throw in an Hard to Evade because the kick's arc makes it hard to jump over.

Finally her first Super. I'm cheating a bit here since she has a bunch of more normal Supers that would probably come first, but who cares? I want to defeat enemies with dance.
Gradeus Pearl has Pullum whip out her tambourine and shoot a musical note at her opponent. Getting hit starts an animation where she forces the opponent to have a dance off, which she will of course win.
This Super would normally be a L7, only usable as a tier 3 super in a game where every Super has 3 tiers like in Street Fighter Alpha. Screw that, I'm making it a normal Super, aka L5.
As a Super, I have a whooping 10 Elements to play around with, though at least half must go into specific Elements: the pricey Increased Accuracy (why not? We can afford it), Increased Damage (yes), and Breakthrough and Invincibility. Breakthrough allows for partial arts (which does not apply here since either the projetile hits, or nothing happens), and Invinciblity lets her steal Initiative if the rolled totals are close enough. Well, she's already quite fast, and the thing about these projectile supers is that it really sucks if the opponent sees them coming to soon, so I think this doesn't quite apply either. She can still win initiative in case of a tie, since all Supers can do that.
The musical note is also Ranged and probably also has No Ranged Response (aka no Hadoken-cancelling here). Damage isn't too high thanks to the low Ki, but we can work on that with further levels. Also bit of Increased Glory can't hurt because defeating people through dancing ought to be worth a bit of extra XP.
Finally, the Super needs the Unique Super Element because it has nothing to do with any of her normal Moves. I'll also add a Slow Recovery since, again, missing with a super projectile blows.

(Street Fighter EX also has a universal guard breaker Move, but I'd hand that one out on a campaign basis.)

And with that I have 5 Move Points left, which I'll put into Fighting Spirit for some rushdown advantage. The remaining Quality goes towards Ki so she can start building up her Ki damage, which can already happen next level. That thing will get scary.

A lot of her Moves deal same-ish damage, though they each have their preferred situations. This gives her a rather consistent damage output. They all deal a lot more than her Basics, which nudges her towards using Specials instead of long Basic Combos. You could probably replace some of the damage increases with other Elements for a more accurate adaption, but this is already getting a bit long.
Her main strategy will probably be to win Initiative in order to Hit Stun the opponent because long Combos will end her. Her scariest opponent is probably a counter-focused or charge character, since those play very defensively and don't care about losing Initiative quite as much as others.

PL 3
Life Bar 50
Fighting Spirit 35

BASIC QUALITIES

Strength 0
Speed 2 (Initiative)
Stamina -1

COMBAT BONUSES

Control +1, Defense +1

COMBAT SKILLS

Defense 2, Evasion 3, Tactics 3, Combo 3, Ki 2

NON-COMBAT SKILLS

Acrobatics 4, Agility 5, Athletics 4, High Society 4, Performance (belly dancing) 5, Presence 4, Smooth Talking 4, Thug Thrashing 5

QUALITIES
Attractive, Charming, Sexy, Technique: Double Jump, Wealth

WEAKNESSES
Vow (finding her father)

QUIRKS
Clueless, Distinctive Appearance (belly dancer)

SPECIAL MOVES

L2 Ordence Foot Acc. +1 Dmg. 1d6
Hurl, Throw (2)

L2 Alacer Wrist Acc. +0 Dmg. 1d8
Fast Recovery, Increased Damage (2)

L3 Sweep (modified Basic Move) Acc. +0 Dmg. 1d4
Hits Low, Knocks Down (2)

L3 Neck Factor Acc. +1 Dmg. 1d6+1
Position Shift, Increased Damage, Throw (2)

L3 Ten'el Kick Acc. +0 Dmg. 1d8
Evades Ranged, Hard to Evade, Increased Damage (2)

L3 Drill Purrus Acc. +0 Dmg. 1d8
Increased Damage (2), Knockback Advance, Mobile: Move 2 Ranges

L4 Air Drill Purrus Acc. +0 Dmg. 1d8
Aerial Increased Damage (2), Knockback Advance, Mobile: Move 2 Ranges

L4 Purim Kick Acc. +0 Dmg. 1d8
Anti-Air, Increased Damage (2), Knocks Down (2), Subtle; No Movement

L5 Super Gradeus Pearl Acc. +1 Dmg. 1d8+1
Increased Accuracy (3), Increased Damage (3), Increased Glory, Ranged (2), No Ranged Response, Unique Super; Slow Recovery

Next Time: Anyone wanna see the "bestiary"? It's sadly not quite as "amazing" as the one for the Street Fighter RPG.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't know if this is mentioned in the episode, but you can actually get the various Star Frontiers from here with the okay of the license holders.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doresh posted:

He will verbally juggle you out of prison.

Once everyone's on board with building "OBJECTION!!" as a Super Move, it's time to change the character creation and advancement rules. Characters now have around 50% more points to play around with, with the catch being that they have to divide these bettn normal and social stuff.

Objection! as a super move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Idunno why Space Jef and Space Jon mentioned Star Wars in the same breadth as ridgehead aliens, since Star Wars really isn't bad about that like Star Trek is. Because Star Wars makes movies and cartoons without Star Trek's budgetary limitations, and also because ridge-faced aliens who easily incorporate into a multicultural cosmopolitan society are against the grain of Star Wars.

If you're talking about Contenders, that's one of the few supplements out there that just makes me mad. It's like they were just completely taking the piss, and pissing on their audience. Making up cool Street Fighters for the PCs to fight or ally with shouldn't be hard.