Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sockser posted:

I've watched all of season 8 and none?? Of season 7 because the Orgalorg stuff really killed 100% of my interest in the show.

That said, I'm digging everything they've done in season 8 and I guess I'm obligated to watch the entire season I skipped.

Season 7 is probably my joint favourite season of the show so far. It felt like they found a really good balance between goofin' and feelin' at the start and kept it going throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Hey now Mama Said (an early season 7 episode) was fun :colbert:.

I remember nothing about that episode, other than that one out of place song.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

IUG posted:

I remember nothing about that episode, other than that one out of place song.

It's the one with Canyon and the Mushroom thing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Orgalorg" is a stupid name for an intergalactic menace.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Finally caught up with on demand because the DVR was confused.
I know we're all talking about Islands, but Bronwyn reminded me so much of a girl I had a crush on way back in high school. :gbsmith:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Finally got around to watching Islands.

Jesus christ.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

These loss.jpg parodies are getting out of hand.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The episode about VR was kind of contradicting the show's usual message about escapism, I felt. It was especially jarring to have Minerva's subjects in the same arc portrayed as in need of saving from their own happy bubble.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Honestly it seems narratively that it's more important that the humans under Minerva now have a choice to leave if they want than to be outright kicked out

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The VR episode just jogged a memory loose of a Silver Surfer episode that had something similar going on. Don't remember much other than people hooked up to VR fantasies and tended to by robots like in the at ep though. Anyone know what im talking about?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah I once binged Silver Surfer on Netflix. I don't remember whether they kept the machine off or not.

I think the difference in the second life episode is that it's implied everyone in vr has some kind of cartoon cancer and they aren't really strong enough to work in real life anymore. They didn't let B-MO stay after all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I didn't view it as a super happy ending really. They only need the VR because they're hosed otherwise.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So I binged the entire series over a few weeks. That sure was a ride.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Attestant posted:

So I binged the entire series over a few weeks. That sure was a ride.

Oh my god, I can't even imagine that. What the hell was that like?! :psyduck:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
In retrospect I kind of regret not posting something like impressions per season, because it all blurs together. Especially seasons 1-6. It didn't help that a lot of it was passive watching while doing other things.

I'd describe it as a whole lot of white noise, with moments of absolute brilliance dotted within it.

(edit) To further ramble on about this:

I decided to check out the show, because I watched and loved Steven Universe, and how it has fairly complex characters and stories, at least for a cartoon. I liked it a lot, and Adventure Time seemed at least superficially similar. A continuity heavy cartoon with occasional heavier topic.

This was mostly true, though I think AT doesn't handle characters and character development quite as well, and there are a lot more standalone episodes that just aim to be funny. This is ok, but not quite what I was expecting. Overall it seems like most people prefer the older, continuity light episodes? Meanwhile I loved the later seasons (starting from S7 and Stakes) more.

The funny parts can be absolutely brilliant too, but I felt like most of it was kind of boring and skippable? Meanwhile Finn romance stuff was probably the worst in continuity, and I appreciate how later seasons seriously toned that stuff down.

I feel like S7 (and especially Stakes) is where the show started to feel like what I hoped for. Telling longer character-driven stories, without forgetting to be funny and charming.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 13, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seasons 5-6 don't have character-driven stories? drat that poo poo really DID blend together for you.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Escobarbarian posted:

Seasons 5-6 don't have character-driven stories? drat that poo poo really DID blend together for you.

I phrased that a little bad, maybe. It's more that they struck a better balance during S7.

But yeah, it all kinda blends together. It's a lot easier to remember invidual moments, rather than where they place in the series.

(edit) Also Stakes and Islands were a really nice way to handle longer stories. Say, compared to previous major storylines that were either slowly dotted over several episodes, or really brief season ending + next season open combos.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 13, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah. It's always had a chaotic mix of kinds of episodes, and that variety of voices is a big part of why I like the show. And now it seems like starting with season 7 they found a way to let the different styles coexist in a way that feels really good. It's nice to see a good show find ways to improve even this far into its run. (I really liked Jesse Moynihan's super weird existential stuff, but I'll admit that losing his episodes has made it easier for them to arrange the remaning bits and ideas into a show where even the wildly-different-toned episodes feel like they belong next to each other)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think there's a general consensus that season 7 (and so far 8) is a real high point of the series. It's always been a mix of spontaneous adventure romps, introspective philosophical musings and character-driven arcs, but these last couple of years they've really got the balance right.

I wonder if there's a factor of their audience maturing in this. Adventure Time started in 2010; a kid who watched the first season aged 10 is staring down adulthood now. I don't know how many would still be keeping up with their childhood cartoons but I don't know how many new faces have picked it up either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've literally never heard that consensus anywhere, but I certainly wouldn't argue against it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wondering if it's worth having a Star Vs The Forces Of Evil thread, since it's gotten quite good in the second series. It would be something to talk about during the gaping voids between Steven Universe and Adventure Time episodes.
I'd start one, but I'm pathologically lazy and illiterate.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

I think there's a general consensus that season 7 (and so far 8) is a real high point of the series.

Seasons 1 and 2 are still my favorites personally. For me the core of AT has always been more like "Dungeon" and "Storytelling" than the plot driven and artsy stuff that came later. But yeah, the last season and a half have been a really nice return to form for the show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Say Nothing posted:

I'm wondering if it's worth having a Star Vs The Forces Of Evil thread, since it's gotten quite good in the second series. It would be something to talk about during the gaping voids between Steven Universe and Adventure Time episodes.
I'd start one, but I'm pathologically lazy and illiterate.

I'd say yes, I'm currently watching Star vs. from the beginning after initially skipping it and it gets really good.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 are still my favorites personally. For me the core of AT has always been more like "Dungeon" and "Storytelling" than the plot driven and artsy stuff that came later. But yeah, the last season and a half have been a really nice return to form for the show.

Same. I never really cared why Finn is the only human or why Jake can stretch. They just are. Episodes that just showed new aspects of the world only to discard them ten minutes later are my favorite.

(That said I did cry watching Simon sign the Cheers theme song)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love both! But generally (ie not Orgalorg) I find the story stuff more consistently great then the random funny eps. s7 does have some real crappy episodes like President Porpoise, but they barely ever gently caress up big picture-wise imo (I know a lot of people disagree re Finn romance stuff in s5 etc)

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Escobarbarian posted:

I love both! But generally (ie not Orgalorg) I find the story stuff more consistently great then the random funny eps. s7 does have some real crappy episodes like President Porpoise, but they barely ever gently caress up big picture-wise imo (I know a lot of people disagree re Finn romance stuff in s5 etc)

Finn Romance stuff is great, though, it's such a normal thing for a 15 year old boy to completely mess up like that. That was some of my favourite poo poo.

Rexides posted:

Same. I never really cared why Finn is the only human or why Jake can stretch. They just are. Episodes that just showed new aspects of the world only to discard them ten minutes later are my favorite.

(That said I did cry watching Simon sign the Cheers theme song)

Good job, you passed the Voigt-Kampff test!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cavelcade posted:

Finn Romance stuff is great, though, it's such a normal thing for a 15 year old boy to completely mess up like that. That was some of my favourite poo poo.

No argument from me, but a lot of people seem to find it pretty insufferable.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Dad's dungeon is still the best episode in the show.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I really wasn't a fan of the romance stuff. I didn't find it all that funny, nor intriguing enough as drama, either. Just kinda bland, average teenage awkwardness.

I've enjoyed some of the post-romance arc stuff related to it, though. Like the Huntress Wizard episode, his comments to Fern about PB related memories, etc. I find funnier in retrospect, I guess?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Escobarbarian posted:

No argument from me, but a lot of people seem to find it pretty insufferable.

15 year olds are insufferable, so...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cavelcade posted:

15 year olds are insufferable, so...

Well exactly

Zeruel posted:

Dad's dungeon is still the best episode in the show.

Definitely my favourite episode from seasons 1-3 at least. It's real good.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'd say yes, I'm currently watching Star vs. from the beginning after initially skipping it and it gets really good.

It's alright. I think it's a really super great show for kids with some great positive messages, but I don't know if I'd really watch it if I wasn't such an animation nerd.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I listen to baby-sword-rap on the reg to help me feel good. That parental love.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

How about Bee and PuppyCat?
They finally released the last episodes of the first season back in November (on paid service VRV, although you can find them online elsewhere *wink, wink*). I still have to watch them, but I loved the pilot and the first 4 shorts.

I wish it had been picked up as a full series on CN, though. The humor, plot, and animation style fits right in next to Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

They finally released the last episodes of the first season back in November (on paid service VRV, although you can find them online elsewhere *wink, wink*). I still have to watch them, but I loved the pilot and the first 4 shorts.

I wish it had been picked up as a full series on CN, though. The humor, plot, and animation style fits right in next to Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe.

I really dislike the approach they're taking with some of the other Frederator series. I watched the first episode of Season 3's Bravest Warriors, but I have to sign up at some other site to view the rest. I feel like I've waited years between season 2 and 3, so I can wait longer until they dump it on YouTube.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JazzFlight posted:

In my opinion it's twee trash and deserves all forms of obscurity. Imo.
The pilot was okayish, I guess.
Anime is bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna stay away from anything non-AT done by creeper Allegri thanks

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It seems like every day I have to remind myself, "You love The Pianist, don't you? So you know how important it is to separate the art from the artist."
Creatives are trash. All of them. Me, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The insanities and personal baggage that make an artist's voice unique and interesting can quite often make them an insufferable prick in other contexts. Such has been the nature of art since the dawn of time.

• Locked thread