Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/WRESTLEZONEcom/status/830530880515035136

Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

mama mia

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
That video will be interesting if/when Jarrett & Co. get rid of him. The firings/departures are over yet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

considering that every company not named WWE tapes in advance, this really isn't that big a deal and is kind of the actual smart way to do poo poo if you don't have to broadcast it live.

and with where TNA is financially, broadcasting it live is stupid.

I think they're cutting down on the # of tapings in a session. The last two sessions were almost a week long, but that was when they were on shakier ground.

Look at the total lack of buzz for ROH TV and tell me it is somehow a good thing to have a month of TV in the can. TNA did something sort of kind of buzz worthy at the tapings a month ago and it hasn't even aired yet. No one gives a poo poo now.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Look at the total lack of buzz for ROH TV and tell me it is somehow a good thing to have a month of TV in the can. TNA did something sort of kind of buzz worthy at the tapings a month ago and it hasn't even aired yet. No one gives a poo poo now.

If TNA hadn't undone the best thing they did at the tapings then I would be counting down the days until it aired.

Of course, they undid it, so laaaaaaaaaame.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

RealFoxy posted:

James Storm's faction that includes Eddie Kingston and Bram called the DCC (Death Crew Council)

Bram's still with the company? I thought he was a wife strangler or something.
I remember because TNA kept announcing that they signed him to a multi-year contract, and I'd never heard of him before or ever again except a couple months later when he was arrested.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Historically I can't think of a single show that is as out of date as TNA and was really successful except for WWF TV in the 80s. I think they only taped 4-5 weeks out too. Memphis did 90 minutes weekly. Crockett did weekly tapings every Wednesday, I think Mid South did weekly tapings, as did Portland, St. Louis, Hawaii and pretty much every other territory I can think of.Those kind of tapings wouldn't be cost effective anymore but taping two months out is never going to produce gripping TV. It feels stale before you see it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

plus on the old WWF tapings you could see when they were at the end of events and the crowd was just fuckin swaying from exhaustions

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

MassRafTer posted:

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If TNA hadn't undone the best thing they did at the tapings then I would be counting down the days until it aired.

Of course, they undid it, so laaaaaaaaaame.

What's being referred to here? Spoiler tag it or just point me at a link if necessary, or just in case someone here cares about avoiding TNA spoilers in 2017.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

What's being referred to here? Spoiler tag it or just point me at a link if necessary, or just in case someone here cares about avoiding TNA spoilers in 2017.

I think they're referring to Josh Barnett winning the TNA title then having the result overturned

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

You'd be hard pressed to find any one man with more concentrated levels of douche than Josh Matthews

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
One big problem with the extend of advanced tapings TNA does is that it just smacks of desperation. It doesn't quite come across as a cost-cutting thing and more like a "Holy poo poo we might not be in business tomorrow, here I found some spare change how much can we tape with that" thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'll be in Orlando for the first week of March and could totally go to this, so it feels nice to say no to the opportunity.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

ROH TV sucks because they rarely shoot hot angles unless its leading up to Final Battle or another big show and their schedule is weird. ROH's post-PPV tapings don't show up until weeks after the actual PPV which makes it hard to really get any actual post-PPV buzz going.

TNA doesn't really have that problem because their a broke promotion that runs 2 big shows a year and isn't forced to shoot some really weird asynchronous programming schedule.

MassRafTer posted:

Historically I can't think of a single show that is as out of date as TNA and was really successful except for WWF TV in the 80s. I think they only taped 4-5 weeks out too. Memphis did 90 minutes weekly. Crockett did weekly tapings every Wednesday, I think Mid South did weekly tapings, as did Portland, St. Louis, Hawaii and pretty much every other territory I can think of.Those kind of tapings wouldn't be cost effective anymore but taping two months out is never going to produce gripping TV. It feels stale before you see it.

TNA's next set of tapings is 4-5 weeks.

Grendels Dad posted:

One big problem with the extend of advanced tapings TNA does is that it just smacks of desperation. It doesn't quite come across as a cost-cutting thing and more like a "Holy poo poo we might not be in business tomorrow, here I found some spare change how much can we tape with that" thing.

THe last 2 rounds of tapings were pretty much desperation moves by Dixie as she was looking to sell. Though now that it's happened and they're not taping 2+ months of TV in a session, I'm interested in how it'll go.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

RealFoxy posted:

James Storm's faction that includes Eddie Kingston and Bram called the DCC (Death Crew Council)

That is a real dumb name

This idiot has a funny way of spelling Tony Schiavone

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This offends me deeply.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

I'll be in Orlando for the first week of March and could totally go to this, so it feels nice to say no to the opportunity.

Meanwhile I got suckered into going to a secret TNA taking :mad:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

lmao like two pages of people throwing tantrums over a week. jeez louise

As for Josh Matthews, I kinda liked him in WWE and felt bad for him when they let him go. I thought he worked well as a foil for JBL, for example, or even with Striker. I haven't watched a ton of TNA since he joined but he's kinda turned full IRL heel which is sad. Poor kid. Shoulda just been happy he got on Tough Enough.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

at one point Josh Matthews was brain-jacked by the Undertaker while he kept trying to tell Kevin White not to kill himself.

That's the only good memory i have of Josh Matthews

E: he wasn't bad on PBP for "Velocity", now that I think of it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorgolflox posted:

That is a real dumb name

This idiot has a funny way of spelling Tony Schiavone

I liked Tony until WCW got bad and he didn't give a poo poo anymore. :negative:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DJExile posted:

at one point Josh Matthews was brain-jacked by the Undertaker while he kept trying to tell Kevin White not to kill himself.

That's the only good memory i have of Josh Matthews

E: he wasn't bad on PBP for "Velocity", now that I think of it.

He was also on Are You Serious? which was great.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Josh Matthews looks like he describes himself as a nice guy to women on a regular basis.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Death Crew Council is somehow even worse than Beat Down Clan

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Murder Clown was a great wrestling name.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

MinibarMatchman posted:

TNA's entire history is them coming up with horrible heel stables.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grack posted:

MEM was worth it for Big Poppa Pump's insane rants.

"HE'S FAT!"

"You're a half-breed and I'm gonna treat you like a half-breed!"

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

Beat Down Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta Care 'Bout.

Aces & Eights, now THAT was a stable. A terrible, terrible stable.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Remember when Hernandez joined Beat Down Clan and they were in nearly every segment, but then Lucha Underground said TNA couldn't show him on TV because he was still under contract?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
No one has been able to explain to me what DCC's gimmick is supposed to be yet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

grack posted:

"The GAY community!?" made it all worth it, though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Germansimp posted:

Beat Down Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta Care 'Bout.

Aces & Eights, now THAT was a stable. A terrible, terrible stable.

Remember when Aces & Eights had like 20 people, then they started to get unmasked and suddenly there was only about 5 or 6?

EDIT: Remember when all the faces of the company came together to fight Aces & Eights and lost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuBE_eeH3Wo

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 15, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Rhonne posted:

No one has been able to explain to me what DCC's gimmick is supposed to be yet.

When we figure it out we'll let you know.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember Luke Gallows getting paid to do absolutely nothing but drink and it was awesome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wait they're going to cut the roster further

Like how

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wait they're going to cut the roster further

Like how

They fire everyone except Jarrett, Russo, and the Harris brothers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd be okay if they cut good wrestlers like Drew, Eddie and Jade, so they can go on to actual good promotions.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RZApublican posted:

"The GAY community!?" made it all worth it, though.

Don't forget AJ waving a chainsaw around and calling people faggots

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't forget AJ waving a chainsaw around and calling people faggots

That moment encapsulates everything that has made TNA the glorious hot mess that it has been from its inception.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aces and Eights was awful because it was a stable of laughable jobbers plus a deflated Ken Anderson

I don't care how hard they tried, Bully Ray Dudley never was and never will be an intimidating mastermind

On the other side of the coin, the Main Event Mafia was one of the worst loving ideas ever conceived. let's have all the 36 yr old+ guys go over the younger talent, brilliant. Samoa Joe is beating us? Oh now we paid him off because we're too lovely to actually beat him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aces and Eights on paper wasn't a horrible idea but they took fooooooorrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeevvvvvvveeeeeeer to get them up and going, then immediately jobbed like all of them in PPVs for a while so they were never really a threat.

MEM was awful.

• Locked thread