Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Colonel posted:

mainly i hope you're not super attached to alisha cause you're through with about a quarter of her screen time as a major member of your party

I've been forewarned on that front. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poorly

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I forgot when the mines are, but if you haven't encountered a mob full of casters on hard you haven't seen the worst zesty has to offer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah make liberal use of the quick save in the pause menu, it only lets you retry bosses for some reason, die to anything else and it's back to your last save.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I actually liked Zestiria quite a bit. I mean it's nowhere near my favorite Tales games but I had a decent time with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't hate it as much as some people and played through the whole thing but it was dumb and I was glad it was over.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Erg posted:

I forgot when the mines are, but if you haven't encountered a mob full of casters on hard you haven't seen the worst zesty has to offer

It makes the gratification of using Magilou in Berseria much sweeter

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

The Colonel posted:

honestly the worst part of zestiria is that its combat system narrowly avoids being really good and fun by introducing lots of annoying gimmicks and frustration over a really solid base with some fun character movesets

This is my main problem with the game. I thought it was some decent fun, but the new stuff they introduced made it feel like they were really struggling to make new systems.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Erg posted:

I'm playing on normal because Tales games are usually pretty bad at scaling difficulties.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm playing on normal because Tales games are usually pretty bad at scaling difficulties.

This hasn't been true since Graces f.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, Zestiria is pretty awful on harder difficulties unless you start grinding for particular equipment drops

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phantasium posted:

This hasn't been true since Graces f.

Graces F was actually the one I was thinking of when saying this. Bosses especially become incredibly unfun hp sponges.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I only remember Abyss on the hardest difficulty jacking up enemy defense so much that every character does 1 damage except Jade. So basically the game became a Jade solo playthrough. Yes, I did this. No, I can't explain why I did something so stupid.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh, Zestiria is pretty awful on harder difficulties unless you start grinding for particular equipment drops

It's hard to know anyone's familiarity so I just assume that people who say they aren't balanced haven't really tried since they actually made progress towards balancing harder difficulties other than the olden days when it was a hard "come back on NG+ with grade bonuses'.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Ephraim posted:

I only remember Abyss on the hardest difficulty jacking up enemy defense so much that every character does 1 damage except Jade. So basically the game became a Jade solo playthrough. Yes, I did this. No, I can't explain why I did something so stupid.

Can't let the bullshit win!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ah yes, Liger Queen and her 30k hp that needed working through. Good times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I beat Zesitira on 2 spots above normal without really touching the equipment stuff. People just need to use water form more.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tae posted:

I beat Zesitira on 2 spots above normal without really touching the equipment stuff. People just need to use water form more.

Having a giant gently caress off laser available at all times was pretty broken, yeah.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
ToZ wasn't really that bad on chaos. The experience down thing was a bit weird, but you end up getting the best gear in the game like 2/3s of the way through, so it's manageable. I still think ToX was the worst on higher difficulties, if we're putting the cut-off line at Graces. All about abandoning links so your partner doesn't murder you, micromanaging your AI, and HP sponge bosses you can't do weakness combos on. It's a real slog without Fel Arms. Graces was arguably easier on higher difficulties because the SP bonuses meant you had a plethora of titles mastered, and some of those master bonuses were really really strong. No amount of enemy stats in ToX2 could hope to balance its overpowered weakness system.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think you could go higher than hard on the Xillias on a first run, at the very least.

Although it is funny having Ludger's gun tutorial be a proper difficult fight.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
When I think about it, to be fair, I also had to micromanage the AI in ToZ a lot. I always think the game would have really benefited from having an AI setting for each kamui and by extension make it so AI wouldn't drop kamui until some threshold you set or manually control. It should have been separate from the BG controls. Just another one of the many little problems with ToZ, though...

You know I really liked Ludger's combat style, when I think about it. I liked Asbel a lot in Graces, too. I think I have a thing for different weapons/stances. Just so cool.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It makes the gratification of using Magilou in Berseria much sweeter

Yeah it owns that Magilou's break soul is dedicated to loving over those fights

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Graces F was actually the one I was thinking of when saying this. Bosses especially become incredibly unfun hp sponges.

Graces? But the difficulties have a multiplier for your own attacks that hit weak points, and also gave more experience/title EXP, and only buffed enemy HP/attack and not defenses. I never really found battles to take longer than they should except for the dragons.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

So I just beat Berseria and remembered that I never finished Zestria. Despite the not good things I hear about it I decided to play it again( and hopefully beat it this time). So I dug up my PS3 and started up Zestria, and first thing I noticed was how choppy everything was. Is this a problem with the PS3 version? If so I might attempt to get a copy for the PS4. Considering I apparently was only two and a half hours in, it doesn't seem like a big loss if I start over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So given that Berseria is spoiled a bit by Zestiria X, and Zestiria X is supposedly/apparently better than the game, is the best order to go about this mess at this point to play Berseria and then watch the Zestiria X anime?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In real terms, Berseria essentially comes between the two split seasons of The X. I think S1 will give you most of the setting baseline you need to catch onto most of the stuff in Berseria when you're meant to. I don't remember if they mentioned Mao, though. Probably not.

Berseria is completely possible to play with no Zestiria exposure, though. One thing won't make sense, but everything else is explained in its own terms.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Playing Zestiria first made me sad about Eizen in the back of my mind regardless of what happened, which sucked

Watching the Zestiria X version of events made me feel a little better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Blackunknown posted:

So I just beat Berseria and remembered that I never finished Zestria. Despite the not good things I hear about it I decided to play it again( and hopefully beat it this time). So I dug up my PS3 and started up Zestria, and first thing I noticed was how choppy everything was. Is this a problem with the PS3 version? If so I might attempt to get a copy for the PS4. Considering I apparently was only two and a half hours in, it doesn't seem like a big loss if I start over.

all versions of zestiria only run at 30fps, half of what berseria runs at. if you want it to look as smooth as berseria you'll need to buy it on steam and use a mod that lets you raise the frame cap

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

The Colonel posted:

all versions of zestiria only run at 30fps, half of what berseria runs at. if you want it to look as smooth as berseria you'll need to buy it on steam and use a mod that lets you raise the frame cap

Hmmm, my computer would most likely explode if I attempted to play a jrpg on it. Sad, but what're you gonna do? I'll probably just get the PS4 Zestria version for the improved graphics whenever I see it on sale or something. In the meantime I'll watch the Zestiria anime and put my PS3 away, until I get to finishing Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Xillia, and Tales of Xillia 2, and the Tales of Symphonia Chronicles double pack. Goddammit my backlog is too big.
:negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The PS4 port of Zesty doesn't have any graphical improvements over the PS3 version other than 1080p and a consistent 30fps.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I played the PS3 version of Zesty in Japanese, and it was clear the game was not meant for that system.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Today on Tales of Zestiria the X:

Somewhere in the distance, Sorey's voice is faintly heard.

"Uh, am I still the main character? Anyone? Hello?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sorey more like borey

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Uhhhh I don't know where the Maltran sub-plot is going now.

I don't know where the Zavied thing is going now.

And I have no idea in general what's going on with Alisha after this.

This is basically like 5 hours cut from the game so far. Like what the Alisha DLC should've been.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Welcome to Zestiria.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there no grade system in Graces F or is it just hidden?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

grade is awarded after game completion and varies depending on what you've achieved in your playthrough

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

Today on Tales of Zestiria the X:

Somewhere in the distance, Sorey's voice is faintly heard.

"Uh, am I still the main character? Anyone? Hello?"

Haven't caught up yet, but: good.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
God even the skit in Alisha's episode is better than the ones about Sorey and Rose. It feels like actual character humor and not an unrelated manzai routine jammed awkwardly into the middle of philosophy and death.

Glad they remembered that not only does Bartlowe exist but so does Lunarre and either of them might even do literally anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Sakurazuka posted:

Grade is given for certain actions. For example, you get grade for each side quest you complete (and if you do all of them, that's 415 grade for the PS3 version). As for grinding for grade via combat performance, you get 0.1 grade for each technical bonus you achieve, which maxes out at 256 total. You also get grade according to your max combo, so up to 999 total. There's also stuff for getting titles, and mastering skills. There's also stuff for arte usage, but that can get wildly grindy. Basically, don't stick around one zone using the same artes over and over and over again if you want more grade. Do lots of different things on lots of different characters.