Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

unpurposed posted:

Y'all,

I just got AT&T Fiber internet installed. What speeds should I be seeing on WiFi? I'm using their provided Pace 5268ac modem / router.

Even right in front of the router, I only get 240Mbps and a room away, I vary between 50-240. Great speeds, but nowhere near the promised gigabit. Tested on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

I haven't tested ethernet yet, trying that tomorrow.

Before I parrot the typical "modem/router combos are bad at wi-fi" comment and tell you to read the OP, what devices are you testing those speeds on? What are your walls made of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

unpurposed posted:

I just got AT&T Fiber internet installed. What speeds should I be seeing on WiFi? I'm using their provided Pace 5268ac modem / router.

Even right in front of the router, I only get 240Mbps and a room away, I vary between 50-240. Great speeds, but nowhere near the promised gigabit. Tested on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

~250Mbps on a wireless device is quite respectable considering you're matching a combo router/wireless device with whatever.

It's important to keep in mind that the only speed that AT&T cares about is the one you get at the termination point in your house, and the only realistic way to check that is with an ethernet cable.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 12, 2017

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Before I parrot the typical "modem/router combos are bad at wi-fi" comment and tell you to read the OP, what devices are you testing those speeds on? What are your walls made of?

I believe that ATT doesn't allow you to buy your own modem and you are forced to use theirs unfortunately. This seems to be the case online.

I'm testing on both a MacBook air and an iPhone 6S. Walls are made of drywall.

I will check Ethernet today as I haven't had a chance to unpack yet.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

unpurposed posted:

I believe that ATT doesn't allow you to buy your own modem and you are forced to use theirs unfortunately. This seems to be the case online.

I'm testing on both a MacBook air and an iPhone 6S. Walls are made of drywall.

I will check Ethernet today as I haven't had a chance to unpack yet.

Looks I may be able to put the modem into a quasi bridge mode and use my own router - airport extreme.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

unpurposed posted:

Looks I may be able to put the modem into a quasi bridge mode and use my own router - airport extreme.

I have the same model you do and 1Gbps over an Ethernet connection works fine, but the "bridge" is actually DMZ mode and works a bit oddly so good luck if that's what you want to do. I decided to just let it do the routing and add my own AP.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It sounds like AT&T locks that thing down really tight for their own reasons, so yeah the answer from the OP about getting an EdgeRouter for that fiber connection might not be the best idea.

Definitely test the ethernet from the modem first, if it's switching fine at hundreds of Mbps then an access point like what Eletriarnation has might be what's needed.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Some users on the DSL Reports forums have figured out a couple ways to completely bypass AT&T's gateway with a Linux box/Edgerouter between it and the ONT by selectively proxying the 802.1x authentication packets via a small C program or using ebtables. This will make AT&T's TV and phone service not work, since they require their gateway for operation, but for straight internet it's just about ideal.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What I'm learning from this thread is, "gently caress AT&T and be glad you have Cox."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cox is like the least of the evils, yeah

I read something that they fired a bunch of dedicated workers just before their reretirement/pension for dumb poo poo so that sucks

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I tested with a Macbook Air with a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter directly through one of the LAN ports on the Pace 5268ac. Getting speeds between 330-600 Mbps. Better, but still not gigabit.

Should I reach out to AT&T and ask? Or is my testing methodology suspect?

EDIT: Reading through my posts, I sound like a spoiled jerk complaining about great speeds. I'd just like to see if I should be expecting better or if this is on par.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 13, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

unpurposed posted:

EDIT: Reading through my posts, I sound like a spoiled jerk complaining about great speeds. I'd just like to see if I should be expecting better or if this is on par.

I have satellite and it peaks out at 15Mbit on a good day, has latency on the order of 700ms and aggressive data usage caps, and it cuts out if there's moderate snow or rain. Cable service terminates 10 poles from my neighborhood. My only alternative is CenturyLink Legacy (1.5Mb tops). US last mile sucks, and I am super jealous.

That being said, you chase every last ounce of throughput you can, buddy, don't be ashamed. Do it for those of us who dream of your connection.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

unpurposed posted:

So I tested with a Macbook Air with a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter directly through one of the LAN ports on the Pace 5268ac. Getting speeds between 330-600 Mbps. Better, but still not gigabit.

Testing gigabit is tough. I have AT&T gigabit and it's very hard to find someone that can actually push a full 900+ mbit to you. There's usually a bottleneck somewhere.

My advice is stop worrying about it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

unpurposed posted:

The Macbook Air cannot push gigabit either with a USB -> Gigabit adapter or Wifi. Tunderbolt might be different but that computer has no balls anyways.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

redeyes posted:

The Macbook Air cannot push gigabit either with a USB -> Gigabit adapter or Wifi. Tunderbolt might be different but that computer has no balls anyways.

All revs of Thunderbolt will drive full GigE.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also be sure to use http://beta.speedtest.net/ instead of the normal speedtest.net. The former falls down on faster speed tests.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone for the help!

New question:

This is the network closet in my new place. I have no idea how I connect my modem/router to this so that all the ethernet ports in my place are working.

How do I go about learning about this / understanding what this is? I've determined via a bit of trial and error that the station locations on the right map to specific ethernet ports in the house. Not sure which yet.

Is there a way that I can just run a cable from the LAN port of my router to something here and just get internet through all the ports?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

flosofl posted:

All revs of Thunderbolt will drive full GigE.

Not all thunderbolt adapters will.
Not all systems with thunderbolt can.
Most testing methods will also be their own impediment to wire rate tests.
Browser based testing is fundamentally flawed.

You have to ask yourself what you're actually testing: the software? The network adapter? CPU? System bus? Or the actual link? Perhaps even the remote server's link or interface?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Internet Explorer posted:

Also be sure to use http://beta.speedtest.net/ instead of the normal speedtest.net. The former falls down on faster speed tests.

It's better but still not as good as a regular iperf test.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

unpurposed posted:

Thanks everyone for the help!

New question:

This is the network closet in my new place. I have no idea how I connect my modem/router to this so that all the ethernet ports in my place are working.

How do I go about learning about this / understanding what this is? I've determined via a bit of trial and error that the station locations on the right map to specific ethernet ports in the house. Not sure which yet.

Is there a way that I can just run a cable from the LAN port of my router to something here and just get internet through all the ports?

You need an ethernet switch in there. The "telecom module" ports on the left you can ignore, that's for phone lines. The ports on the right, as you've figured out, are the patch ports that go to the different jacks in your house. Put a switch in there and connect it to the ports on right for the respective jacks you want active, and ditch the thing on the left.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have AT&T gigabit internet, and an er-lite connected to the provided router/modem's DMZ works perfectly for me-- the er-l reports eth0's ip/gateway (the ip for outside) as my outside ip/gateway and there are zero port/NAT issues that I've come across. Setting the port on the er-l or letting upnp2 do its work lets things through perfectly. I regularly hit 100 Mbyte/s downloading to my eth connected PCs (which is only like 300-400mbps but you'd be hard pressed to find a server that will serve a full gigabit to a single connection, I assume), and speedtests hit 900+mbps. On my macbook air, speed tests hit ~200 mpbs on a 40Mhz ac channel with a reported transmission rate of 270Mhz, so things seems as good as they can get for that. A haswell NUC, over ethernet, hits 500mbps and rising (it gets to ~475 and slowly keeps increasing until the end of the test).

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I have AT&T gigabit internet, and an er-lite connected to the provided router/modem's DMZ works perfectly for me-- the er-l reports eth0's ip/gateway (the ip for outside) as my outside ip/gateway and there are zero port/NAT issues that I've come across. Setting the port on the er-l or letting upnp2 do its work lets things through perfectly. I regularly hit 100 Mbyte/s downloading to my eth connected PCs (which is only like 300-400mbps but you'd be hard pressed to find a server that will serve a full gigabit to a single connection, I assume), and speedtests hit 900+mbps. On my macbook air, speed tests hit ~200 mpbs on a 40Mhz ac channel with a reported transmission rate of 270Mhz, so things seems as good as they can get for that. A haswell NUC, over ethernet, hits 500mbps and rising (it gets to ~475 and slowly keeps increasing until the end of the test).

Update! I was able to get 900+ Mbps up down when connected to my desktop via Ethernet.

How difficult was the er-lite to set up? The 5268ac doesn't seem to have upnp which is something I would like.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

100 MBps is 800Mbps. You're approaching the theoretical max of TCP over GbE.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

KillHour posted:

100 MBps is 800Mbps. You're approaching the theoretical max of TCP over GbE.

:downs: oh right. I have no idea what math I was using...

And the ER-L is pretty darn simple. The only quibble I have is that the default condition is rather annoying. DHCP is disabled, so you need to temporarily turn on a static IP to run the set-up wizards (which is good enough for like 90% of people). That should get you mostly set up and the incredible customizability of it should let you set everything else you need. For upnp2 (explicitly 2), I remember some command line stuff to set it up, but it wasn't hard or anything. I did not need to do a thing to get it to work with the att router, thankfully, it asserted its dominance on its own. The only complaint that I have with ubiquiti stuff is that something messes up between the er-l and a unifi: occasionally it will just break entirely and I will have to reset the ap to get it working again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You know, I was always happy when I saw like 800-900 Mbps on a gigabit link in a LAN environment, but when I ran my benchmark after upgrading to fiber I was able to get pretty drat close to 1000 Mbps. Not sure if the tool (beta.speedtest.net) is inaccurate or there is some black magic going on, but I was pretty happy.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
It's black magic. Ookla's speedtests try to account for packet overhead and other small losses in their calculations. I've had their speedtest report >100mbps on fastethernet before.

I've also run Ookla's speedtests between two 10gig servers that were logically direct-connected to each other, and gotten way less than 10gig results (compared to >9gbps with iperf)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im looking to upgrade my old rear end router to something dual band and capable of the newer wireless standards my new devices have.

I store my media on a couple external hard drives connected to my PC. I share them on the network so I can access them from my tablet and laptop also on the network. I noticed a lot of routers have usb ports for external hard drives but im not seeing any with more than 2 usb ports. I would to like to be able to access the external HDDs without needing my main pc to be on.

I found this device which seems to be designed for my needs
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164058
Am I correct? Is the usb 2.0 on this going to hold me back at all considering im only watching 1080p media at the most? Is this just a poo poo product and I really need a NAS box? I dont need or want to access the data off the network

The other option I can think of is connecting a powered usb hub to the router. I cant seem to find anything saying whether it works or not

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 15, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Fauxtool posted:

this is just a poo poo product and I really need a NAS box

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Any thoughts on the Ubiquiti UniFi stuff vs. the traditional EdgeRouter/Switches?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

UniFi has a slick user interface and everything can be managed in one place, EdgeRouters/Switches have more configuration options at the expense of a less user-friendly UI, and they're all managed separately. There are also some additional hardware options in the EdgeRouter line compared to the UniFi routers.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
UniFi is awesome for my parents at their house and their small biz. I ran it for a while but I tend to do goofy poo poo every now and then on my network thanks to the home lab so I'm back to an ERL. Still run their APs though. If you have a simple network and don't need to monkey with exotic poo poo then UniFi all day.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

H2SO4 posted:

UniFi is awesome for my parents at their house and their small biz. I ran it for a while but I tend to do goofy poo poo every now and then on my network thanks to the home lab so I'm back to an ERL. Still run their APs though. If you have a simple network and don't need to monkey with exotic poo poo then UniFi all day.

Doesn't UniFi require one to install their management application on a supported OS before you can do anything with it? That is, they don't seem to have a web-based management interface built-in into the AP? But, let's say you install their management application (virtual machine or something), does it need to run after that or can it be turned off?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I set up a new router at my moms house with uverse. Instead of fiddling with the router bridge mode I just turned off the wifi on the modem and setup the new router as an access point. Any issues with that setup instead of bridged node?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Volguus posted:

Doesn't UniFi require one to install their management application on a supported OS before you can do anything with it? That is, they don't seem to have a web-based management interface built-in into the AP? But, let's say you install their management application (virtual machine or something), does it need to run after that or can it be turned off?

UniFi requires either using their app on an iPhone or Android for initial setup, or else you need to use a UniFi Cloud Key (micro-pc running controller software) or else install the UniFi controller program on any OSX, Windows, debian/apt/ubuntu linux machine, or run a copy of the controller in a off-network "cloud" server. Yes you can turn the software off after provisioning, but if the AP loses its config for any reason, you'll need the controller software again. You'll also probably have to hard-reset the device since you're guaranteed to have forgotten the device password that was set when you configured but didn't backup the deployment.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I set up a new router at my moms house with uverse. Instead of fiddling with the router bridge mode I just turned off the wifi on the modem and setup the new router as an access point. Any issues with that setup instead of bridged node?

That will be fine as long as you're happy with the configuration options provided by the modem.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The controller is java, so its almost as universal as it can be. I also just use the same password as my router :shobon:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

smax posted:

That will be fine as long as you're happy with the configuration options provided by the modem.

Yeah, mom just needs internet and that's it.

Old uverse router was capped at 802.11g for some reason. New one gets much better range.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FCKGW posted:

Nope. It's how I have mine setup. Just turned off wifi on the UV gateway, and attached my Airport Extreme via ethernet. The Airport is in bridge/access point mode though, so no double NAT issues.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

FCKGW posted:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone know if there is some way to subscribe to Ubiquiti firmware updates? Rather than "whenever I remember to" it would be nice to get an email notifications--or ideally something I can tie into IFTTT or Flow--when firmware for one of my devices gets a new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Not sure if this is the relevant thread - I can't run ethernet to my PC, so I have a generic WiFi usb dongle (300n) which was acting up lately, random disconnects, high ping, fluctuating bandwidth etc.

Since I recently got a 100mbit line with included Ac1200 router, I wanted to try out a good WiFi pci-e card and got an Asus ac68 that just won't behave. I tried every pci-e slot, upgraded motherboard to latest bios, tried every possible combo of drivers (official old, official new, unofficial broadcom ones)... when it works it works great but it keeps randomly bsod'ing my PC and freezing it up when booting, support says it's all fine and it's a problem on my end so I am returning that crap.

After some research it appears that 90% of pci-e cards (that use broadcom chipset at least, apparently Intel chipsets are more compatible but pretty rare) do that exactly same thing on Windows 10 for some unknown reason. So what can I get to connect in 802.11ac to my router? What's a good working card or usb thingy? Looking at the Asus usb 68 but it's expensive and I am kinda afraid of Asus now. Something with external antennas and an extension cable would be ideal since the PC is far from the router and anything put behind it would have trouble connecting

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 23, 2017