Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Finished making some palm trees for my desert board using StrikingScorpion82's guide and I think they turned out alright. Maybe a little big but I wanted them to be easy to reach under.

Hoping these will really fill out the board and some more variety to it. We are playing Friday so I'll find out then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Found this tutorial on making chain link fences in (HO scale). The method could be adjusted easily enough to fit other scales; his channel has a lot of other good terrain tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_guMOYoCpw

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Those palm trees look awesome JITC, I may do something similar for the new Frostgrave game.

They look like they will be quite fragile though, how are you going to store them?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

No Pun Intended posted:

Found this tutorial on making chain link fences in (HO scale). The method could be adjusted easily enough to fit other scales; his channel has a lot of other good terrain tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_guMOYoCpw

Good tutorial, but the way he pronounces solder is driving me up the wall.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Floppychop posted:

With an L sound like a normal person? It's the Americans who make it sound like some sort of weird sex act.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Floppychop posted:

He's pronouncing it normally :confused:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Floppychop posted:

What's wrong with it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Pierzak posted:

What's wrong with it?

North American = sod-er
Europe = sol-der

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oh so it's like Aluminium then, where the rest of the world is fine and America can't spell :v:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

ineptmule posted:

Those palm trees look awesome JITC, I may do something similar for the new Frostgrave game.

They look like they will be quite fragile though, how are you going to store them?

Thanks. They are actually pretty sturdy since the gauge of the wire is pretty thick. The only part that I am worried about is the paper leaves. I dropped them off at my friends place yesterday and we just put them on top of the rest of our terrain.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Of course you pronounce the L. Maybe floppychop is just a bad example of Americans pronouncing things.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chance II posted:

What the gently caress are you guys talking about? Of course you pronounce the L. Maybe floppychop is just a bad example of Americans pronouncing things.

You do, do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRLHyUEezvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrVCkEoY_8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqV2xU1fee8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qps9woUGkvI

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Chance II posted:

I've never heard the "L" pronounced by people that routinely use the word.

Even Google backs up my claim

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-bbYH_akHg

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I've never heard the "L" pronounced by people that routinely use the word.

Even Google backs up my claim

Can confirm, this is how I've said it my entire life.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Whoops my bad! I thought we was talking about clams!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gasp! American and English pronunciation is different?! Who'd have thought?

My question: is there an easy way to mask the corner joins in laser cut buildings or is it just down to filler and painting?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

My question: is there an easy way to mask the corner joins in laser cut buildings or is it just down to filler and painting?

Filler and painting is the easiest, unfortunately. You could try the old excess glue trick and then smoothing it down but wood filler is the best bet imo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The etymology of the word solder shows that pronouncing the l is either a modern affectation after the French origin, or (archaic) correct Latin.

quote:

Modern form in English is a re-Latinization from early 15c. The loss of Latin -l- in that position on the way to Old French is regular, as poudre from pulverem, cou from collum, chaud from calidus. The -l- typically is sounded in British English but not in American, according to OED, but Fowler wrote that solder without the "l" was "The only pronunciation I have ever heard, except from the half-educated to whom spelling is a final court of appeal ..." and was baffled by the OED's statement that it was American. Related: Soldered; soldering. The noun is first attested late 14c.

Regardless, pronunciation "rules" are merely codifications of common usage. Enough people pronounce the ell that it is now "correct" because that's actually how language works.

e. For reference, Fowler was a British authority on the English language.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I've never heard anyone not use the L, but I live in the uk :shrug:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Depending on the scale of the building I have successfully used the plastic corner protectors that you can buy for drywall to act as a new Corner over the finger joints that they use for much of the construction of MDF Terrain.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

ijyt posted:

Filler and painting is the easiest, unfortunately. You could try the old excess glue trick and then smoothing it down but wood filler is the best bet imo.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Depending on the scale of the building I have successfully used the plastic corner protectors that you can buy for drywall to act as a new Corner over the finger joints that they use for much of the construction of MDF Terrain.

Thanks chaps - I'm trying to justify to myself that £50 for a dozen generic pitched-roof-four-window-and-door houses is outrageous and I should infact scratchbuild literally everything and although your responses are something I'm definitely going to use on the items I already have, I think to get anything approaching Eastern European/Russian buildings I'm going to have to scratchbuild them and may as well take my time with foamcore.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

spectralent posted:

I've never heard anyone not use the L, but I live in the uk :shrug:

I mean practically all of modern English is the result of Gaelic monks transliterating Old German words for French speakers when they quite likely spoke neither very well (if at all). The pronunciation of a "silent" L is pretty much just par for the course.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

Thanks chaps - I'm trying to justify to myself that £50 for a dozen generic pitched-roof-four-window-and-door houses is outrageous and I should infact scratchbuild literally everything and although your responses are something I'm definitely going to use on the items I already have, I think to get anything approaching Eastern European/Russian buildings I'm going to have to scratchbuild them and may as well take my time with foamcore.

You'll be able to use that endless tub of woodfiller on your scratch builds too, works well to represent stucco/plaster.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

ijyt posted:

You'll be able to use that endless tub of woodfiller on your scratch builds too, works well to represent stucco/plaster.

Also really good to model sand/dirt, depending upon the scale you're working at.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

I made some jungle terrain

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Nice!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

How are the fields at the back of this photo made?

I'm going to assume they're door mats sliced up somehow - maybe trimmed with clippers?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yep those are definitely door mats, trimmed to give an uneven look.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

This is going to sound like a really stupid question - but trimmed how? I'm not sure I want to risk my hair clippers on that heavy duty stuff!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

This is going to sound like a really stupid question - but trimmed how? I'm not sure I want to risk my hair clippers on that heavy duty stuff!

Scissors

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I have seen a method involving a heat gun to change the texture and stop shedding.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Southern Heel posted:

I'm going to assume they're door mats sliced up somehow - maybe trimmed with clippers?

I've seen them looking mashed down instead, with maybe a hammer?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Not a viking posted:

I made some jungle terrain

Hitting the green aquarium plants with a light coat of GW or Secret Weapon green wash really helps make them look less cheap FYI.

Southern Heel posted:

Here's a really good and simple tutorial on how to do different fields:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj4awpvMxng

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's that time of the month; everything is in 15mm from Forged in Battle

NTRabbit posted:

:duckie: OATH COMPLETE :duckie:

Just in time!

Claiming the challenge for trying to make my eastern village buildings look like they have lamps lit inside... that are exploding into flames, Michael Bay style! Yes, that's exactly it

4 photos of my ruin because I'm quite proud of how it turned out!

Had a power outage today, and in the pursuit of enough light to paint in I ended up making my Roman village sloppier than I wanted :smith:

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Does anyone have any good files for 3d printed Normandy-style pillboxes or tobruks? I've cruised through a few sites but haven't found much worthwhile.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hi, remember me?

Bad Munki posted:

A little while back, either in this thread or the mini painting thread, someone posted a little video demoing some mdf blocks with magnets in them, for the purpose of modular terrain I think. Well, I decided to rip that idea off unabashedly, and so here's what I've got. Sorry for the handheld footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYnpXs-MRWA

Thanks a bunch, whoever you were! :cheers:

The time is soon coming when I'll actually get to use this nonsense, so I'm finally getting around to painting, and will be producing these things en masse. Just thought I'd post a little travelog since this is a small milestone.

Start off by dumping a gallon of this black on there. It's made from some garbage bulk acrylic from Hobby Lobby, thinned with some garbage airbrush thinner from the same. It dries glossy like that and doesn't handle being applied thickly very well, but the goal is to get it down in the cracks, and the actual final paints will de-gloss it just fine, so at something like $5 for a pint once it's all prepped for the airbrush, it'll do.

Next, put on a healthy dose of reaper's 09086 Stone Grey.The goal is to get total coverage but neglecting the crevices. They'll get filled a bit, but not completely, it's fine.

Take a moment to consider where I want to go next.

Dump on a ton of GW Agrax Earthshade, wipe off lightly with a paper towel, it'll stain the stones and fill the cracks, but maybe wait until the previous layer has a better chance to dry first, otherwise it'll be a bit rough on that base color. I think this step will actually get tossed in the end, as I made a last-minute addition later on. But there it is anyhow:

Decide it's too dark, apply a roughly 50% coverage of 09292 Bathalion Chitin, doing a xenithal application to get some shadows in there.

At this point, I realized it was really nice out, so I decided to drain and muck out the pool next to my patio.

Taking that disagreeable job as inspiration, I opted to stain the individual stones various natural colors, to look more like worn, grody, naturally quarried stone. This is the most time consuming step, but it actually goes surprisingly fast and I think will allow me to skip the intermediate brown-washing-consuming step, so it'll probably roughly balance out. The color mix on the stones is about 4:4:2:6 Seraphim Sepia:Athonian Camoshade:Nuln Oil:Agrax Earthshade by count. I just work along that list and pick random stones, counting as I go, until I get close to the target number. The last one, the Agrax Earthshade, I just fill in the remainder of the stones, and that was what the count was.

The individual stone washes are the biggest hassle by far, but I think it puts a lot more life on the pieces, so it's probably worth it. I'm not going to add any more steps after this, though, since I now have to produce about a hundred of these things.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 7, 2017

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Holy poo poo man

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No way should you use expensive miniature paint at any step of a process that involves making 100 of those things, dude! Switch entirely to cheapo hobby lobby paint, and get some minwax stain for your staining, and you'll save yourself a lot of money.

That said, it looks pretty excellent. I'd say make sure you have the occasional two or three stones of the same color together, or the different colored stones will look too uniformly distributed.

Lastly, if you want to go one extra mile, I'd suggest you fill in the gaps on the "floor" stones a little bit vs. the "wall" stones. They'd fill with dirt, dust, etc. from being used pretty quickly, so if you want your dungeon to look like it's old & used, the floors should be well-trod. Maybe your first step before starting to paint would be to smear a coat of spackle or putty or whatever across the stones and then wipe with a damp cloth to reveal the stones themselves but still leave the cracks mostly filled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, is just as soon use cheaper bulk paints but honestly, I just haven't found any that fit the bill as well as the purpose-made model paints. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about various types of acrylics, but so far, everything I've tried just doesn't stand up to those precious bottles of liquid gold.

If anyone has any specific brands/types to recommend, I'd happily try them out. :)