Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'm wondering if any of its real. We saw that he hung himself in the beginning. There's a chance this is all just his brain random firing before death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Might be time to duck out of this thread

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

frgildan posted:

I'm wondering if any of its real. We saw that he hung himself in the beginning. There's a chance this is all just his brain random firing before death.

I mean, it's always a possibility, but I feel like that gets us nowhere. It's sort of like how with the Mr. Robot thread everyone started assuming that literally everything was Eliot's insanity. It doesn't really accomplish anything to assume literally everything to be part of a dream sequence. Or, if you start with that assumption, then there's gotta be something real in there and that's what we should be trying to find, because that's where the story's gonna be.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

frgildan posted:

So you're saying Jacob's Ladder? I'm down with that. So nice to get to drop this How Did This Get Made leitmotif in here.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
They're all in purgatory

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

frgildan posted:

What if you're dying irl and this thread is just the random firings of your brain as you pass into oblivion?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Since Legion is connected somehow to the X-Men the "Devil with Yellow Eyes" looks an awful lot like Mojo . If anyone could pull that it would be Hawley.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

twistedmentat posted:

That Bollywood like dance number felt really french new wave cinema for some reason to me.

From that point forward, all I could think of was Wes Anderson, and not in a good way. More of a "same style without the funding to license more popular songs" way. :( I really want to like this, but some of this indie film arthouse nonsense needs to chill.

If I'd never seen any of Wes Andersons films before, I would be more apt to love it, but I have seen them all too many times for this razzle dazzle to impress me.

Story is great, effects are great, just reel in some of the cinematography and I'll be on board. Mr. Robot got it right, this beats you over the head with it for seemingly no reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Since Legion is connected somehow to the X-Men the "Devil with Yellow Eyes" looks an awful lot like Mojo . If anyone could pull that it would be Hawley.

100% if it's a character from the comics it's Shadow King. The yellow eyes give it away. Also the human form of Shadow King looks like a cross between Kingpin and Mojo in the comics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

100% if it's a character from the comics it's Shadow King. The yellow eyes give it away. Also the human form of Shadow King looks like a cross between Kingpin and Mojo in the comics.

Also shadow king has hosed with legion in the past during the Muir Island saga.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Medullah posted:

I'm having an old age crisis because I thought "Hah! Syd Barrett, nice reference if not a little too on the nose" and then I realized it may not be an obvious reference to you drat children watching this show get off my lawn

Spot on, fellow oldie.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
this show is loving awesome best to go into it not knowing anything about it echoing what other people have said its probably the best single episode of any show I've ever seen. The soundtrack was loving awesome. Tree guy. Wow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Story is great, effects are great, just reel in some of the cinematography and I'll be on board. Mr. Robot got it right, this beats you over the head with it for seemingly no reason.

Because it's rad, a hell of a lot of fun, and helps you get inside the main character's head

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

From that point forward, all I could think of was Wes Anderson, and not in a good way. More of a "same style without the funding to license more popular songs" way. :( I really want to like this, but some of this indie film arthouse nonsense needs to chill.

If I'd never seen any of Wes Andersons films before, I would be more apt to love it, but I have seen them all too many times for this razzle dazzle to impress me.

Wes Anderson? This is much closer in style Michel Gondry's work. And it's more than just a cheap knockoff imo.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

How did this feel Wes Anderson in any way? There might have been a shot here or there that might have been a bit Anderson-y, but that's it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
complaining that something is "too wes anderson" is almost always shorthand for "i'm joyless"

i mean the dance sequence IS totally unnecessary even from a showing things through david's fractured mind perspective imo but it's a blast/mindfuck in keeping with the show so who cares

e: VVV also this

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 12, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think to some people, having any kind of stylized production design makes something "Wes Anderson".

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

X-O posted:

poo poo, that makes way more sense. Maybe season 2 can be the intergalactic gladiator show.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
All we know so far is that David is a possibly crazy mutant with telekinesis, and some problem with unreliable narration, right?

I was a fan of the run this seems to be taking some cues from so I might have conflated some stuff from that and the pre-show press and I don't want to post any theories that rely on more comic knowledge than show knowledge.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

poo poo, that makes way more sense. Maybe season 2 can be the intergalactic gladiator show.

Nah, then it'd be too James Gunn

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I think to some people, having any kind of stylized production design makes something "Wes Anderson".

Agreed, random synchronized dance numbers aren't a Wes Anderson thing at all, this was some Bollywood stuff with a 70s French cinema filter.

gently caress I can't wait for the next episode because I really do want to see if it can keep up this level of crazy.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

feedmyleg posted:

If it evokes memories of the people one bullied in high school, it can also be "Tim Burton."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Agreed, random synchronized dance numbers aren't a Wes Anderson thing at all, this was some Bollywood stuff with a 70s French cinema filter.

gently caress I can't wait for the next episode because I really do want to see if it can keep up this level of crazy.

Yea that's why I thought of something from Later French New Wave films.

And Wes Anderson uses primarily static camera positions and pastel colours, nether of which are in the dance sequence.

While Syd is not a 1:1 Rogue, she does fit as a Rogue analog if your primary way of identifying Rogue is "can't touch people or she steals their powers", then she is going to remind you of her, and that is pretty much Rogue outside of the accent and hair. And Rogue does steal peoples minds, it's been shown that she clearly takes on parts of peoples personalities not to mention she literally was Carol Danvers for a while during Australia. I mean this was clearly her taking David's mind and switching bodies, but denying she isn't at least inspired by Rogue is like saying a mutant who has knives that comes out of his palms and doesn't feel pain isn't based on Wolverine.

Actually I made a joke when the first introduced Inhumans in Agents of Shield that they should make inhumans that were just the X-men but slightly tweeked "This is uh...Oni, who shoots laser out of his ears! And this is Duskwalker, he can teleport and is covered in purple feathers!" which is kinda like what Legion seems to be doing. It may not, I don't think they need to fill the show with recognizable characters, but I never like when they take a well known character, change a bit about them and use them in a story where the actual character would fit in fine. I'm worried its like the DC shows where the studio is all "we can't have a movie and tv version of a character, that would be confusing!" which is just silly.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
drat too many comic book nerds in the thread over thinking things.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
That was an incredibly weird pilot and I really dig it. I'm in for the season for sure.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
this is a good show and I like it a lot

well thanks for listening bye

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
My prediction is that old woman he shook hands with at the end will turn out to have been his dad all along and then later a figment of his imagination too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Megaspel posted:

My prediction is that old woman he shook hands with at the end will turn out to have been his dad all along and then later a figment of his imagination too.

Walks and not british so can't be his dad.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The twist is that all of it was literally real and none of it is in his head, even the stuff that seemed like it was.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Lowtechs posted:

drat too many comic book nerds in the thread over thinking things.

It's actually the non-comic book nerds over thinking things when it comes to what might actually be going on in the overarching plot.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

punchymcpunch posted:

The twist is that all of it was literally real and none of it is in his head, even the stuff that seemed like it was.

That's the penultimate twist, the true finale twist is when it slowly zooms out faster and faster, with the earth shrinking as the galaxy takes frames and so on until the universe is all in frame. The camera continues to zoom out and we see the universe was inside the eye of a Marvel writer this entire time. We continue zooming out further, out of the window of the Marvel building and into the home of you, the viewer. We see you watching yourself watching yourself, you turn to face the camera but you see nothing, you look back to the screen to see the camera zoom out even more. It starts to snow on your building, as we zoom out we see your building was inside of a snow globe held by an autistic child. The child looks directly at the camera and says, "blimey", it freeze frames and the credits rolls over it.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

It's been canon for decades that real life is part of the Westphall Multiverse.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
im seriously loving mad that he doesnt have the hair

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

punchymcpunch posted:

I really, sincerely hope that there is no twist. I'm sick of puzzle box poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You prefer a paint by numbers story?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

You prefer a paint by numbers story?

The man with a comic book avatar: "This story doesn't have a gently caress-awesome video game puzzle to figure out on social media channels (e.g. the show's Reddit, or a multi-level alternate reality game). Boring!"

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmmm, can't really make infographics to explain the story... no monologues about the existence of man... no multi-level clues spread across my favorite content channels. Hard pass on this one, goons. I prefer my stories intellectual.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weren't you one of the pretentious Taboo people? seems somewhat hypocritical.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no puzzle about Taboo. The narrative has been pretty straight forward so far. Unless you're one of the people who posts about TV in this forum, who'd have a hard time following an episode of Wishbone without asking two or three clarifying questions in the megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's your loving deal mate.

Go sit in the sun for a spell.