Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

norman smiley needs us all tomorrow night. he needs our support. anyone who isn't there watching norman in his quest for gold is no friend of mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Norman Smiley is a shining light in this time of darkness.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like Norman deserves better than the Hardcore title.
I'm not sure if I'd be supporting him or enabling him.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

David Flair vs. Kimberly AND Meng vs. The Total Package? Be still my beating heart.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

I feel like Norman deserves better than the Hardcore title.
I'm not sure if I'd be supporting him or enabling him.

The WCW Hardcore thing is so weird. I suppose it has something to do with Turner S&P not wanting blood and broken glass everywhere but it's like a comedy version of something that's already pretty silly.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

The WCW Hardcore thing is so weird. I suppose it has something to do with Turner S&P not wanting blood and broken glass everywhere but it's like a comedy version of something that's already pretty silly.

It probably has more to do with WWF having their own comedy hardcore division.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm not sure if we were ever supposed to take the WWF's hardcore division seriously.
But once Crash Holly became champion and instituted the 24/7 rule then all doubts are removed.

Surprisingly Norman Smiley actually predates Crash Holly, which is weird because I could have sworn Smiley was Russo trying to re-create Crash.
Maybe it was something Russo had in the tank that The WWF decided to do after he left.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Tomorrow night, the tournament concludes with MAYHEM '99!

Semi Final: Chris Benoit vs Jeff Jarrett

Cruiserweight Title Match: Evan Karagias vs Disco Inferno ($25,000 bet at stake!)

Norman Smiley vs Brian Knobbs to crown a WCW Hardcore Champion!

The Revolution vs The Filthy Animals

Buff Bagwell vs Curt Hennig

Semi Final: Sting vs Bret Hart

Dog Collar Match: Vampiro vs Berlyn

Meng vs The Total Package

US/TV Title Match: Scott Hall vs Booker T

David Flair vs Kimberly

I Quit Match: Goldberg vs Sid Vicious

Tournament Final: WHO WILL BECOME WCW CHAMPION?

All this and more on Mayhem! I may not be able to run a preshow so tune in at 8 for MAYHEM! Will update if I free up earlier.

https://synchtu.be/r/TheDJRanPosition

There are going to be so many gently caress finishes :munch:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aye Doc posted:

norman smiley needs us all tomorrow night. he needs our support. anyone who isn't there watching norman in his quest for gold is no friend of mine
Jesus is watching Norman.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DJExile posted:

There are going to be so many gently caress finishes :munch:

I think this will have the most clean finishes of any Russo booked WCW PPV. So one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
This is the best Russo-booked WCW PPV. It all gets worse from here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I will be late but I set the room to start MSW at 7.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hurray!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

I will be late but I set the room to start MSW at 7.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And suddenly I can't connect

EDIT: Managed it but had to change browsers, that was odd.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 16, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Tomorrow night, the tournament concludes with MAYHEM '99!

Semi Final: Chris Benoit vs Jeff Jarrett

Cruiserweight Title Match: Evan Karagias vs Disco Inferno ($25,000 bet at stake!)

Norman Smiley vs Brian Knobbs to crown a WCW Hardcore Champion!

The Revolution vs The Filthy Animals

Buff Bagwell vs Curt Hennig

Semi Final: Sting vs Bret Hart

Dog Collar Match: Vampiro vs Berlyn

Meng vs The Total Package

US/TV Title Match: Scott Hall vs Booker T

David Flair vs Kimberly

I Quit Match: Goldberg vs Sid Vicious

Tournament Final: WHO WILL BECOME WCW CHAMPION?

All this and more on Mayhem! I may not be able to run a preshow so tune in at 8 for MAYHEM! Will update if I free up earlier.

you forgot CANADIAN NAZIS

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I didn't get home in time to catch this, but I hope you had the original tape and not the WWE network version where a bunch of the themes are dubbed over.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

I didn't get home in time to catch this, but I hope you had the original tape and not the WWE network version where a bunch of the themes are dubbed over.

We had the originals.

Congratulations, Vince Russo. You managed to take Chris Benoit and Bret Hart fighting for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship in Toronto, and make it boring.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

We had the originals.

Congratulations, Vince Russo. You managed to take Chris Benoit and Bret Hart fighting for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship in Toronto, and make it boring.

The finish was cool at least, when they were both scrambling for their finishers and Bret got the upper hand, but it wasn't as good as the Owen Hart Memorial one where Benoit was struggling to drag Bret down for the crossface, then Bret double legs Benoit and passes to half-guard :aaa: before locking in the sharpshooter.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

We had the originals.

Yeah it needed Jeff Jarrett coming out and interfering

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It seriously had... I think 4 (5?) people run in (Outsiders, Goldberg, Sting/Luger?) at various points and absolutely none of it played into the outcome. They were run ins simply for the sake of run ins :psyduck:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The best one was the Luger run-in during the Hart/Sting semifinal. It kind of ruins a cool finish - Hart elbowing Sting's injured leg to get out of the scorpion deathlock. Should've just had a regular match where Hart targeted the leg and then did the same finish.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

DJExile posted:

It seriously had... I think 4 (5?) people run in (Outsiders, Goldberg, Sting/Luger?) at various points and absolutely none of it played into the outcome. They were run ins simply for the sake of run ins :psyduck:

Dont forget Dean Malenko and his Canadian disguise

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Last week on MAYHEM '99 Bret Hart won the world title!

This week:

The Alt-Right vs The Filthy Animals for the WCW Tag Titles!

Evan Karagias vs Saturn!

Vampiro vs The Wall!

Jeff Jarrett vs Bret Hart for the WCW World Title!

Kidman vs Eddy Guerrero

Meng vs Elizabeth

Lash Leroux vs Disco Inferno

TYGRESS VS SPICE

Buff Bagwell vs Booker T

MADUSA VS ASYA

Chris Benoit vs Dean Malenko in a FLAG MATCH

Sting vs Meng

and The Outsiders vs Goldberg and Meng!

See all the fallout from the PPV, plus NWA MSW at 7 PM! 8 PM for Nitro!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Somehow those 12 matches probably won't be as bad as the dozen matches from last week.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

3 Meng matches and people call Russo a horrible booker

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There is a typo on one of those Meng matches.

But just one of them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

3 Meng matches and people call Russo a horrible booker

In a company where everyone is buried and nobody gets over, the seemingly random pushes doled out to people which are never followed up on are kind of interesting.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Every time. Every drat time Jeff Jarrett shows up in a segment with The Outsiders, Bret Hart, Sting, The Total Package etc I just keep thinking "Holy butts Jeff you do not belong out there go join the revolution or something."

On one hand: gently caress Hulk for being a selfish douche who got his right to be selfish interpreted in the most favorable way possible by a sympathetic judge.

On the other: Holy poo poo SOMEBODY had to be the one to tell Russo "No Russo, you have hitched your wagon to a stupid horse with a stupid gimmick. Stop trying to turn your mediocre turd of a pet project into something he will never be."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Every time. Every drat time Jeff Jarrett shows up in a segment with The Outsiders, Bret Hart, Sting, The Total Package etc I just keep thinking "Holy butts Jeff you do not belong out there go join the revolution or something."

On one hand: gently caress Hulk for being a selfish douche who got his right to be selfish interpreted in the most favorable way possible by a sympathetic judge.

On the other: Holy poo poo SOMEBODY had to be the one to tell Russo "No Russo, you have hitched your wagon to a stupid horse with a stupid gimmick. Stop trying to turn your mediocre turd of a pet project into something he will never be."

You do realize Hogan didn't refuse to do a job at Bash at the Beach. It was a storyline and the lawsuit came about because Russo's planned, agreed upon scripted promo deviated from the agreement and violated the spirit of the creative control clause.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

You do realize Hogan didn't refuse to do a job at Bash at the Beach. It was a storyline and the lawsuit came about because Russo's planned, agreed upon scripted promo deviated from the agreement and violated the spirit of the creative control clause.

The "worked shoot that got worked into a shoot" aka the Russo Special

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

The storyline came about because Hulk refused to job.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

In a company where everyone is buried and nobody gets over, the seemingly random pushes doled out to people which are never followed up on are kind of interesting.

I'm still confused by the brief Brad Armstrong push.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

The storyline came about because Hulk refused to job.

No, the storyline came about as part of a continuing attempt to make Hulk Hogan an anti-authority Steve Austin like babyface. They'd done the same stupid finish 10 months earlier.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Considering WWE's refusal to push anyone but the people they want, I can almost appreciate WCW's "throw everything against the wall" approach. If only they thought to check if anything stuck.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I just remember the plan for Bash at the Beach being Booker walking out as champion and it not being a last minute thing. I feel like the Observer had details on the storyline weeks in advance.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My understanding was that as BatB was being booked Russo tried to get Hogan to job conventionally, but Hogan used his CC to shoot down every scenario that Russo concocted no matter how strong it made him look. So Russo went with the finish that we saw. Hogan agreed and that was that. Until Russo either let his frustration boil over in the promo or used the opportunity to go off-script, not realizing that that in and of itself was a violation of Hogan's CC. Maybe I was misinformed, but I'm not exactly inclined to disbelieve a story involving Hogan being uncooperative. The Booker/Jarrett match could have been concocted in a different manner so it doesn't necessarily contradict anything the Observer reported.

Either way, Hogan being that pedantic about not getting his way exactly the way he wanted was a prime example of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"

Then again, gently caress Jeff Jarrett.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

My understanding was that as BatB was being booked Russo tried to get Hogan to job conventionally, but Hogan used his CC to shoot down every scenario that Russo concocted no matter how strong it made him look. So Russo went with the finish that we saw. Hogan agreed and that was that. Until Russo either let his frustration boil over in the promo or used the opportunity to go off-script, not realizing that that in and of itself was a violation of Hogan's CC. Maybe I was misinformed, but I'm not exactly inclined to disbelieve a story involving Hogan being uncooperative. The Booker/Jarrett match could have been concocted in a different manner so it doesn't necessarily contradict anything the Observer reported.

Either way, Hogan being that pedantic about not getting his way exactly the way he wanted was a prime example of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"

I agree Bret screwed Bret.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Bischoff, Russo and Hogan were trying to work the boys with the Bash at the Beach booking. The idea was likely to play off of the belief Hogan buried Billy Kidman and now wouldn't put over Jarrett, and would play into Hogan's whole FUNB gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, if I was misinformed, I was misinformed. It happens.

That having been said. Would Hogan have put over Jarrett conventionally were he asked?

Because really using your creative control clause to sue over 'losing' in a promo is really the height of pettiness, even if it's within your rights.

Unless Hogan decided that it was just a good excuse to get a great severance package. I guess I can't fault him for wanting out.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 25, 2017