Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Tsyni posted:

I've hiked thousands of km and lots of multi day hikes and I've never had any chafing. It's always mysterious to me when people bring it up.

I've only had real mild amounts of crotch or rear end chafe in really humid conditions...not really even enough that I'm sure I'd take special stuff for it. The worst chafing I've had is in the dry high Sierras with shorts that were just long enough to rest at the back of my knee and the constant light rubbing while hiking was enough to start causing some issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I've had nipple chafing but if you have athletic tape, you can tape it over and be totally fine 100% of the time it happens. Thigh chafe is worse because it's probably something wrong with your clothes, so you often can't solve it without changing unless you have bodyglide or something with you, and even that sometime just treats the symptom instead of being a cure.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Body glide has always worked wonders.

If you're doing just 10-15 miles in a single day you might not notice anything. But 3 days into a longer hike the small seam of your underwear or your backpack strap can feel like a cheese grater against your skin. Just bodyglide yourself beforehand and you wont have to worry about it.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 14, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The entertainment industry calls it "gigbutt" and it is to be feared. I am told it comes from sweating and then not moving so the sweat dries, then moving again. I always call some powder and have gotten to the point where I can sense it coming on and deploy it in time.

The best relief I ever found was this anti-bedsore cream that we got sample packs of from some medical trade show booth. This poo poo was amazing but I lost my last pack and don't remember the name of it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Blister care cannot be overstated. I should have taken pictures of the blisters I got after my 40km days on the Janapar, despite being an experienced long distance hiker and my pack only being 20L. The problem? Stock footbeds in my moabs, which were not designed for long distance hiking.

Mammoth blisters: looked like a slug running between my big toe and the one over, along the entire pad of my foot below the toes. And then because I kept walking (time limited visa) I got blisters inside that blister, and blisters inside of that. It was blisters all the way down. I was limping for a week after I got back to Yerevan. Took several weeks for them to completely heal. :cripes:

Don't underestimate blisters. They'll gently caress you up real good.

Rime fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 14, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not hiking, but I once walked like 10 miles straight in a pair of lovely flipflops and by the time I got home both of my feet were absolutely covered in blisters. I couldn't even stand up for a couple of days. On like the 3rd day I started trying to walk and my feet crunched with every painful step.

It sucked.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm in the beginning planning stages of an epic Glacier National Park hike. Here's my proposed route:
Option 1 - approximately 50 miles, off the beaten path and we should be able to get permits fairly easily, a little concerned about missing out on some of the more famous sights but would offer some solitude I think.

Option 2 - approximately 52 miles. More in the core area so probably much larger crowds. Some potentially serious water crossings, some long hikes between campsites as well.

Option 3 - approximately 65 miles. Nyack is supposed to be beautiful and less crowded. Also get to see the Two Medicine area which looks great but will be busy. Lots of stream crossings, fairly easy(?) to get permits for most sites.

I'm looking to go in June as I have the whole month off, so time is not a factor for me. I plan on getting a shuttle to get us to and from trailheads. Anyone ever hiked any of these portions of Glacier? Am I being wildly optimistic here with distances and elevation gains? Any trails or sites that I'm missing? Or is Glacier in June best avoided and I should look towards the Tetons?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

I plan on getting a shuttle to get us to and from trailheads.

This could be an issue for the first trip since as far as I know there's no shuttle option on the west side of the park. Hitching is possible but harder from the Kintla Lake area than Bowman Lake, and probably a lot harder in June than later (the roadwalk from Kintla to Polebridge is about 15 miles and pleasant enough if necessary with great views of the western side of the mountains).

quote:

Or is Glacier in June best avoided and I should look towards the Tetons?

You'll want to keep an eye on this Snotel station. If SWE stays close average there will be snow at higher elevations. Some places in Glacier it doesn't matter, and then some of the passes will require traction and possibly an ice axe. It's kind of impossible to tell what's a doable trip and when until the snow levels peak. A good guide to problem areas are the dates sites open for reservations listed here. Areas with sites that start accepting reservations July 15 or later will almost certainly have some snow in June, and possibly a lot of it. You can still get walkup permits for those sites but might be camping on snow. Regardless of the snow peak you'll want to push your trip as late as possible.

Officer Sandvich fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 14, 2017

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks a ton for this! Snow depth in some passes was a concern for me so that link is great. I had planned on bringing crampons and dont mind some slow deliberate hiking over snow but I definitely dont want to be post holing or sliding off to my death when trying to go through a mountain pass. Definitely shoot for the last half of June as well. How are some of the stream crossings in June, fairly predictable or does it just entirely depend on the snow melt?

Any recommendations on any of those routes? Trying to plan which I want to be primary, secondary, third.

Glacier seems a bit different than some of the other national parks and Alaska in that it seems harder to plan a huge loop to hit all the sights, it's huge for one, way longer distances between mile markers. And, thankfully, the trails just say gently caress it and cross mountain ranges and streams instead of hugging them. Really looking forward to going as it's been on my list for a long time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hurray my parents are going to be taking myself and my girlfriend on a short road trip from Texas and drop us off at the AT the first week of April. That makes life far easier and it'll be nice to have a send off. Seems crazy that after a year of saving that the start is only a short 6 weeks away.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any recommendations on any of those routes? Trying to plan which I want to be primary, secondary, third.
The third is the one I'd go for: Far more remote, far fewer people. The elevations in GNP aren't nearly as high as in Colorado or Wyoming, so I think it's doable over a few nights. There is a similar problem with this route as your first, in that there are no shuttles on Highway 2, so you'll be hitching or otherwise relying on other people's transportation. Or, I dunno... Uber? Cell reception isn't always great on that highway, though, and I've never done that.

e: I will say, you can't really gently caress this up. The whole place is achingly gorgeous, and the permitting system prevents you from really bumping into a lot of people once you're in the backcountry.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks a ton for this! Snow depth in some passes was a concern for me so that link is great. I had planned on bringing crampons and dont mind some slow deliberate hiking over snow but I definitely dont want to be post holing or sliding off to my death when trying to go through a mountain pass. Definitely shoot for the last half of June as well. How are some of the stream crossings in June, fairly predictable or does it just entirely depend on the snow melt?

Glacier seems a bit different than some of the other national parks and Alaska in that it seems harder to plan a huge loop to hit all the sights, it's huge for one, way longer distances between mile markers. And, thankfully, the trails just say gently caress it and cross mountain ranges and streams instead of hugging them. Really looking forward to going as it's been on my list for a long time.

I have not done much hiking in Glacier but it's nearby so I get up there occasionally. In June in Glacier there will be a shitload of water in all streams. Snow up high, possible dangerous avalanche conditions as everything melts and wet slides occur. It's very common for slides to cover sections of going to the sun for example while they're still plowing. Also, snowpack in that area is currently well above average.

Lower elevation stuff will be fine.

Also keep in mind that you might be there before the park gets busy and the grizzly bears will be out and hungry.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 15, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

For some reason I missed the "June" part of that. I've been there then.

Good loving luck.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Especially this year. Lawdy. There'll be snow there until next winter.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Hurray my parents are going to be taking myself and my girlfriend on a short road trip from Texas and drop us off at the AT the first week of April. That makes life far easier and it'll be nice to have a send off. Seems crazy that after a year of saving that the start is only a short 6 weeks away.

Awesome! I'll be a week or so behind you. I can't believe it's finally happening either! Just got my US visa approved.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

For some reason I missed the "June" part of that. I've been there then.

Good loving luck.

Rime posted:

Especially this year. Lawdy. There'll be snow there until next winter.

Yeah after hearing from this board and speaking to the rangers a June trip just sounds like it'd be a frustrating experience. So it's off for this year.

My other idea for an epic June trip was the Rim To Rim at the Grand Canyon but that sounds boiling hot swamp rear end awful in June. So back to the drawing board.

Also public service announcement: ENCHANTMENTS LOTTERY START!

This will be I believe my seventh year entering in. I'm hopeful that they are cutting down on everyone in a group submitting a separate entry this year but who knows.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think I'm gonna plan a 4-5 day Onion Valley to Whitney trip with my dad but probably not until September. Hoping we can do a bunch of the trip with some out of the way trails or cross country

other than that, I dunno, don't have much planned this year with an infant to take into account. Should probably grab some campsites in various areas and do some car camping at least. Think I'll put in for a campsite up at Tuolomne Meadows for a weekend.

Probably will try to swing at least one other solo trip, maybe the Nelson lake trip in Yosemite I planned last year before snow made me change plans

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

George H.W. oval office posted:

Alan_Shore posted:

I've put together a gear list form my AT thru-hike, starting mid-April. If you want to take a look and poo poo all over me, I'd be much obliged!

https://lighterpack.com/r/exul26

Any estimate when you guys will be in the Smokies? I would guess May time frame, and if it is before I go out West I will be more than willing to bring some trail magic your way. Actually anywhere from Clingman's Dome/Newfound Gap to even possibly the Hot Springs area. All depends on timing, but remember there are some goon hikers in the area (I'm in Knoxville).

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Remind me again... Is trail magic weed, shrooms, or pizza?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The best trail magic is fresh socks and blocks of cheese.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Due to the nature of my job I'm more bring pizza and beer person. Now if my wife is able to come with me (which is normally the case) she likes to bring her magical one-hitter with her.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah after hearing from this board and speaking to the rangers a June trip just sounds like it'd be a frustrating experience. So it's off for this year.

My other idea for an epic June trip was the Rim To Rim at the Grand Canyon but that sounds boiling hot swamp rear end awful in June. So back to the drawing board.

This will be I believe my seventh year entering in. I'm hopeful that they are cutting down on everyone in a group submitting a separate entry this year but who knows.

You've been entering the Enchantments lottery for 7 years and haven't done it? You can just do it as a day hike, 18 miles isn't that far if you camp at the trailhead and get an early start. And while it's a cool spot, there are plenty of other spots in Washington just as cool. Gothic Basin, Copper Ridge, so many others that you don't need to do the competitive lottery to get to.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I wish I had an entire summer absolutely free to backpack as many places as I could...start further south, hit places like the Grand Canyon and other desert hiking I haven't done, work through the mountains and do some stuff in Oregon and Washington I've never done, etc.

Oh well, one day when I'm retired...if there's anything left to backpack

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Levitate posted:

I wish I had an entire summer absolutely free to backpack as many places as I could...start further south, hit places like the Grand Canyon and other desert hiking I haven't done, work through the mountains and do some stuff in Oregon and Washington I've never done, etc.

Oh well, one day when I'm retired...if there's anything left to backpack

when you're decrepit and retired, smh

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yesterday I was sitting around thinking "I wonder when the 2017 lottery starts" and I saw it starts today. I entered last year after having just moved to Seattle and got lucky but I'm positive it was only because it was a mid week trip and our last acceptable option (stuart lake) was what we got.

Ideally you want a core enchantment permit which is what everyone else is also trying to get. Stuart and Eightmile are the red-headed step children of the enchantments. Snow lake or Colchuck zones would also be good as they would get you at least closer to halfway through. Heads up though, Colchuck looked like loving lake Havasu during spring break. Its really popular for day hikers so it gets crazy busy and crowded. It was so incredibly packed that I am very happy that I didn't have a permit to camp there.

We hiked to Stuart lake and set up camp right next to the lake. We had rangers come in within 10 minutes of setting our packs down to check for permits, we chatted with them a little while and they told us that permitless hikers are a huge problem out there and that they get someone at least once a week during high season.

Stuart was cool because it was an easy scramble to get up to the ridge line between stuart and 8 mile. The third day we got up early, backtracked to Colchuck and went up into the core enchantments. It was awesome but brutal with all the backtracking and up aasgard pass, and back down it all in one day. We left around 9am and didn't get back until 2am. The core was still mostly snow covered in mid July and I expect this year might even be later as we've had a very snowy winter.

I guess what I'm trying to say, pick a place within the enchantments that might not be crazy high demand and explore it, then make a push through the rest on your way out. Also, clockwise seems to be the best route for going through. Down Aasgard pass is way easier than up it.

Colchuck Lake looking at Dragontail and aasgard pass to he left.

Going down Aasgard Pass looking down on Colchuck

Entering core enchantments from Aasgard pass

Verman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 15, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Verman posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say, pick a place within the enchantments that might not be crazy high demand and explore it, then make a push through the rest on your way out. Also, clockwise seems to be the best route for going through. Down Aasgard pass is way easier than up it.
I plan to target a weird time, but the snow could be a big problem because I'll be needing to get a much larger pack and supplies for more than just an overnight. If the trail was perfectly clear, I could see doing it on a very long day.

I have knees though, so there's no going down Aasgard Pass. As far as I'm concerned, that's one way uphill territory. I'll take my 2000ft descent in miles, not in 3500ft, thank you.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Any estimate when you guys will be in the Smokies? I would guess May time frame, and if it is before I go out West I will be more than willing to bring some trail magic your way. Actually anywhere from Clingman's Dome/Newfound Gap to even possibly the Hot Springs area. All depends on timing, but remember there are some goon hikers in the area (I'm in Knoxville).

Wow! That's really cool of you. Newfound Gap is 206.8 miles from the start of the AT, so mid-May would be my guess? Pizza and beer would be a cream dream! I'll send you a message closer to the time. Also, what's a magical one-hitter?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Gear chat time: I'm thinking of buying a few yards of cordura and making some prototype waxed 30L Klettersacks, something like this:

Because nobody except Topo Designs is making them anymore, and theirs max out at 25L and are gaudy:

I personally like the simplicity of the military style klettersack for backpacking in, uh, "unsavoury" locations. :airquote: Unlike modern tech woo packs, it's not a neon sign screaming "PLZ ROB ME, I HAVE WEALTH".

Think there's a market for this?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Rime posted:

Gear chat time: I'm thinking of buying a few yards of cordura and making some prototype waxed 30L Klettersacks, something like this:

Because nobody except Topo Designs is making them anymore, and theirs max out at 25L and are gaudy:

I personally like the simplicity of the military style klettersack for backpacking in, uh, "unsavoury" locations. :airquote: Unlike modern tech woo packs, it's not a neon sign screaming "PLZ ROB ME, I HAVE WEALTH".

Really? I feel like those style of packs have really started to come back in the last few years with the whole hipster lumberjack revival. Anything vintage, retro or old school is all of a sudden cool again, especially backpacks.

Another option is Fjallraven, kelty, Jansport, gregory makes a few, mountainsmith, etc. A lot of them tend to muddy the waters between hiking and lifestyle packs but they should all be mostly technical materials.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Southern Colorado is usually alright by mid-June, you'd usually only be encountering heavy snow about 13k or so.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rime posted:

Fjallraven makes some very similar packs.

I too like the looks but I've only seen Fjallravens on the backs of proto-hipsters in major airports.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yooper posted:

Fjallraven makes some very similar packs.

I too like the looks but I've only seen Fjallravens on the backs of proto-hipsters in major airports.
Waxed cotton is so 20th century

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In a pinch you can make a tent out of it. As long as you have some steel poles that weigh more than you do.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

In a pinch you can make a tent out of it. As long as you have some steel poles that weigh more than you do.

They can really hold up to some nasty weather though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Heh, I went to a presentation last night by Dick Cuthbert and Glenn Woodsworth, where they talked about exploring the unmapped coast range of BC back in the 1960's - in a canvas pup tent which leaked like a sieve and three men had to roll over simultaneously as there was so little room. :allears:

Thanks for the input erryone, I'll explore this market further. I'm really not down on the hipster bullshit bags. Just want something extremely simple which doesn't look like a neon sign.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rime posted:

Heh, I went to a presentation last night by Dick Cuthbert and Glenn Woodsworth, where they talked about exploring the unmapped coast range of BC back in the 1960's - in a canvas pup tent which leaked like a sieve and three men had to roll over simultaneously as there was so little room. :allears:

Thanks for the input erryone, I'll explore this market further. I'm really not down on the hipster bullshit bags. Just want something extremely simple which doesn't look like a neon sign.

I've canoed with Duluth Packs before, https://www.duluthpack.com/backpacks/canoe-packs . Until I just went to the website I had no idea they had so many packs. Those are made well but I hated life when portaging with them. They also look like something you'd pull out of the trunk of your Volvo once you arrive at your summer home in the Hamptons.

GoLite made a line of very simple packs. Unfortunately they're gone now but I'm sure someone else makes a light, simple, pack just like it.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
First post on SA - hiking the AT starting in mid-April!!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Rime posted:

Why not just get a modern backpack in an understated color like black or grey? Plenty of those.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Yooper posted:

GoLite made a line of very simple packs. Unfortunately they're gone now but I'm sure someone else makes a light, simple, pack just like it.

Light and simple: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/tags/lightning-60

I've had one of these for a few years and they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Rime posted:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/kletterwerks-flip-pack not quite 30L either though.