Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ronnie posted:

It was really nice of them to announce the DLC just a few weeks before release. Totally not a deliberate move.

EDIT - oh also do not show this added content. Definetly a transparent business decision.

Couldn't you take this as a good sign that they didn't start working on the DLC until the main game was complete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know why people are so angry about this. They didn't announce the DLC until after BotW was completed. The DLC doesn't come out for a few months, meaning they are still working on it and it isn't cut content from the game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Augus posted:

Couldn't you take this as a good sign that they didn't start working on the DLC until the main game was complete?

No, because he's looking for reasons to be aggrieved

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's a key difference there, tho: those games are bad. Good games are good.

Smash, MK8, Splatoon, Super Luigi U, etc. have shown that Nintendo is good with their DLC and making sure you get a full game before having to pay any extra, by that hand i'm optimistic for the BotW dlc. I'll probably wait until the hard mode stuff is shown off before buying, or potentially wait until the extra story/dungeon is out, since extra items for the early game doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah, but Zelda isn't out yet. I'm expecting it to be good and have it preordered, but that doesn't mean it will be. We both agree on the connotation of DLC in general throughout the industry, and thus understand the reaction, yes?

e: Announcing DLC before a game is launched is almost always interpreted poorly as well.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I assume that the general response to this is people feeling somewhere between okay with this and a little annoyed with this but still looking at picking it up, with a few outliers thinking this is the very worst thing ever or thinking this is in no way a potentially poo poo move and that anyone that has any negative opinion over this is just whining.

It'll probably be fine, and I am looking forward to taking dumb tourist screenshots with Link in the Switch shirt across Hyrule, but this was handled in possibly the worst way it could have been with the gaming community customer base being how it is.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Crawfish posted:

I assume that the general response to this is people feeling somewhere between okay with this and a little annoyed with this but still looking at picking it up, with a few outliers thinking this is the very worst thing ever or thinking this is in no way a potentially poo poo move and that anyone that has any negative opinion over this is just whining.

It'll probably be fine, and I am looking forward to taking dumb tourist screenshots with Link in the Switch shirt across Hyrule, but this was handled in possibly the worst way it could have been with the gaming community customer base being how it is.

There's no "good" time to announce this sort of thing because people will always find a way to get pissed off about it, because that's how "gamers" are. They're the kind of people who look for a reason to be mad rather than having a concrete set of wants/needs and then evaluating from there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ronnie posted:

It was really nice of them to announce the DLC just a few weeks before release. Totally not a deliberate move.

EDIT - oh also do not show this added content. Definetly a transparent business decision.

The new stuff probably isn't in a showable state yet. Not having anything to show off is a good sign.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This thread reads like it's reacting to news from 2007. Downloadable paid content!? Ludicrous!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PerrineClostermann posted:

e: Announcing DLC before a game is launched is almost always interpreted poorly as well.

Unless it's for fighting games.

Or maybe it was just for Smash in general.

People lost their poo poo when Mewtwo was announced remember? Well okay like actually most people were elated but some for some reason interpreted Mewtwo as a forty dollar piece of DLC they had to buy and were previously only planning on getting the Wii U version.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

jivjov posted:

The new stuff probably isn't in a showable state yet. Not having anything to show off is a good sign.

Not really disagreeing with you, but some of the stuff in the DLC probably won't be shown off because it involves showing off stuff in the main game they avoided.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Nerds on the internet make a good point, it would have been nice to include this pass as part of the super expensive sword and coin limited edition copies of the game.

Specially for the countries who aren't getting the cool gamepad case as part of it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yeah, but Zelda isn't out yet. I'm expecting it to be good and have it preordered, but that doesn't mean it will be. We both agree on the connotation of DLC in general throughout the industry, and thus understand the reaction, yes?

True, I understand skepticism about it, and I feel that April would be the better time to announce it once reviews and crazy people who play the whole thing can tell everyone that the game is massive and complete. However the connotation of DLC means bad leads mostly to kneejerk reactions where people don't really put much thought before throwing their hyperbole in order to complain, usually for some consumer moral high filled with buzzwords.

What they Say was not executed well, but what Nintendo's doing (waiting until the game has officially gone gold before even talking about it, letting the DLC take 4-7 and 9ish months to release and the substance of what the DLC even is) is pretty promising given their past history.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lemming posted:

There's no "good" time to announce this sort of thing because people will always find a way to get pissed off about it, because that's how "gamers" are. They're the kind of people who look for a reason to be mad rather than having a concrete set of wants/needs and then evaluating from there.

That's not "gamers", that's just people in general. You'll find the same kind of thought in fans of anything, from music to parachuting. Not all of them of course, but that mix of pessimism and hyperbolic anger exists across the spectrum, not just in one group. It's more pronounced in some groups, but that's almost certainly because those groups are bigger and more visible, not because its exclusive to or even really any more prominent in those groups.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 15, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

tsob posted:

That's not "gamers", that's just people in general. You'll find the same kind of thought in fans of anything, from music to parachuting. Not all of them of course, but that mix of pessimism and hyperbolic anger exists across the spectrum, not just in one group. It's more pronounced in some groups, but that's almost certainly because those groups are bigger and more visible, not because its exclusive to or even really any more prominent in those groups.

Yeah, true.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Lemming posted:

Well... "Hey, we're working on some DLC, don't have anything to show yet because we're just getting started but we'll probably have something new to show at E3" would probably go over pretty well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Aonuma was asked if they would be combining the console and handheld Zelda teams together and he said no, he likes how they approach games differently.

Then he was asked if the handheld Zelda team could be producing for the Switch, to which he said "Yes, there is definitely a possibility".

This is awesome news. If we just go back and forth from 2D to 3D Zelda games every year or two on the Switch, I will hand Nintendo all of my money.

This would be the perfect way to handle the franchise. Sorta like how Pokemon has been alternating between new generation and remakes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Keiya posted:

Well... "Hey, we're working on some DLC, don't have anything to show yet because we're just getting started but we'll probably have something new to show at E3" would probably go over pretty well.

if you're not a giant sperg, they pretty much implied that.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

if you're not a giant sperg, they pretty much implied that.

You should take some time and learn about the concepts of "tone" and "connotation," which were quite different between the announcement and that person's post.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Keiya posted:

Yeah there would be no backlash like

"Why won't they tell us what's in the DLC?! It's probably just new skins!"

"Give us a release date! I need to know when this will release because of some stupid specific reason that only applies to me!"

"They won't even give us a price! Nintendo is ripping us off! I'm not wasting my money on some useless poo poo!" *Begins to throw something towards his large collection of 100+ amiibos, but thinks better of it*

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like the game went gold a relatively short time ago. Hell your special and master nerd editions are probably sitting right now covered in dust in some distant warehouse, the DLC isn't cut content but I'm also willing to bet it's not post-game content, more like a sidestory thing that can happen ambiguously post or pre last boss

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New Super Luigi U was as good as a whole new game on its own and people still acted like the price they were asking for is outrageous.

They did that even when Nintendo started giving it away.

I just think fans don't have much of a good idea how much things are worth.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Yeah, the handling of the announcement is definitely what sent me from mildly annoyed to being internet angry.

There's no mental model for any of this. I cannot think of a single dungeon in any previous Zelda game that I would have paid even $10 for, let alone $20, and I've never once heard of paying for a difficulty option, especially not a couple months after release

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt because MK8 DLC was fantastic, and maybe once I play the game it'll all make sense, but they didn't even try to justify it. I'm dropping $400 to play a game that's been delayed 2 years, and 2 weeks before I get it they're asking for more money without explaining what i'll get for it

Hopefully no matter how you feel about DLC you can agree that this is a bad look

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirPenguin posted:

Yeah, the handling of the announcement is definitely what sent me from mildly annoyed to being internet angry.

There's no mental model for any of this. I cannot think of a single dungeon in any previous Zelda game that I would have paid even $10 for, let alone $20, and I've never once heard of paying for a difficulty option, especially not a couple months after release

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt because MK8 DLC was fantastic, and maybe once I play the game it'll all make sense, but they didn't even try to justify it. I'm dropping $400 to play a game that's been delayed 2 years, and 2 weeks before I get it they're asking for more money without explaining what i'll get for it

Hopefully no matter how you feel about DLC you can agree that this is a bad look

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Yeah there would be no backlash like

"Why won't they tell us what's in the DLC?! It's probably just new skins!"

"Give us a release date! I need to know when this will release because of some stupid specific reason that only applies to me!"

"They won't even give us a price! Nintendo is ripping us off! I'm not wasting my money on some useless poo poo!" *Begins to throw something towards his large collection of 100+ amiibos, but thinks better of it*

Agreed. You just can't please everyone.

I could never understand people that get super upset at DLC. It's an obvious business decision. People pay for it, regardless of yours or my opinion. If Nintendo can make some extra money from a relatively small amount of work/effort on their part, why wouldn't they? If you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Also, its only $20. If that is such a dealbreaker for you, should you really be spending $300+ on a new toy?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just a reminder than we (and by we I mostly mean our parents) paid the equivalent of over $100 for the Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, and Link to the Past.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

There's no mental model for any of this. I cannot think of a single dungeon in any previous Zelda game that I would have paid even $10 for, let alone $20, and I've never once heard of paying for a difficulty option, especially not a couple months after release.

Metro Last Light, Dragons' Dogma, and Dying Light were all games that offered a "hard mode" as DLC at one point, based off of quick cursory research.

In any case, I'm thinking the value of that pack will be in the Cave of Trials, not the hard mode. It's like everyone is deliberately leaving that out of the discussion.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
People were wondering about how the whole "Link gets targeted by lighting during rainstorms" thing would work out.

Here's your answer.

Link, Link hurry. Hurry TAKE YOUR CLOTHES OFF FOR GOD SAKES HURRY!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like how upset Cat Peach seems to sound after it happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was the worst voice I've heard in my entire life.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's a "cutesy"-sounding puppet voice on a segment for children.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TFRazorsaw posted:

it's a "cutesy"-sounding puppet voice on a segment for children.

...that is primarily watched by hygiene-deficient 30 year old men

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Hedrigall posted:

...that is primarily watched by hygiene-deficient 30 year old men

I didn't know you were such a big fan.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure kids watch a healthy amount of the video game content on YouTube in America AND Japan. They're a big part of why that stuff has exploded in number the last few years.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm pretty sure kids watch a healthy amount of the video game content on YouTube in America AND Japan. They're a big part of why that stuff has exploded in number the last few years.

Hell I know time stopped and nothing had more importance in the universe whenever anything Nintendo related popped up on TV when I was a kid so I can't imagine kids having free unlimited unbridled access to it wouldn't take advantage of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUiWD3Ob9Po
This intro signaled the most important moment of my week every other week growing up

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Hell I know time stopped and nothing had more importance in the universe whenever anything Nintendo related popped up on TV when I was a kid so I can't imagine kids having free unlimited unbridled access to it wouldn't take advantage of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUiWD3Ob9Po
This intro signaled the most important moment of my week every other week growing up

That looks like Doom

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Cave of Trails is cool
Hard Mode is neat
Additional Map Feature!?!?!

New Original Story is cool
New Dungeon is cool
Additional Challenges??!?

Not really going to worry too much about it until they give more information about what each thing is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I don't really read Games all that much.....is the reaction to this DLC typical of the attitude around here. Because if so yuck.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Escobarbarian posted:

So I don't really read Games all that much.....is the reaction to this DLC typical of the attitude around here. Because if so yuck.

It's rather muted here. Other places are uh, more vocal about it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yes I can't imagine going to a YouTube or IGN comments section about this. I would probably start openly weeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

amount of switch preorders cancelled because of the zelda dlc reveal: higher than 1, 10, and possibly even 10%