Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would wait for the x1 carbon coming next month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm being a bad and skipping to the end of the thread but is there any discounts or best place to get a Microsoft Surface 4 other than Microcenter? Do coupons come out or anything? I'm looking at an i5/256/8gb if that matters.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Coredump posted:

I'm being a bad and skipping to the end of the thread but is there any discounts or best place to get a Microsoft Surface 4 other than Microcenter? Do coupons come out or anything? I'm looking at an i5/256/8gb if that matters.

You could setup an alert on deal sites like slickdeals

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kiwid posted:

What's the best 13" ultrabook I can get for <$1600?

Prefer i7, 16gb RAM, 256GB SSD, non-poo poo screen resolution.

It does not have to be touch.

Probably the XPS 13, the X1 as mentioned, maybe look at the X270, Razr actually makes a good 13" laptop these days. Samsung series 7 or series 9. Check the refurb market too, getting a true quad core i7 for under $1200 with the current generation, is going to be difficult.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

You could setup an alert on deal sites like slickdeals

Ayyee, good idea. Done.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Probably the XPS 13, the X1 as mentioned, maybe look at the X270, Razr actually makes a good 13" laptop these days. Samsung series 7 or series 9. Check the refurb market too, getting a true quad core i7 for under $1200 with the current generation, is going to be difficult.

XPS 13 and X1 are very nice, but they're limited to 8GB RAM and I'm looking for something with 16GB RAM so I can run a few VMs while having 50-some chrome tabs open.

What do you all think of this: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/ASUS-ZenBook-3-UX390UA-XH74-12.5in-Core-i7-7500U-16-GB-RAM-512-GB-SS/4309342.aspx?pfm=srh

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

There are XPS13 versions with 16gigs, they just cost a ton.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kiwid posted:

XPS 13 and X1 are very nice, but they're limited to 8GB RAM and I'm looking for something with 16GB RAM so I can run a few VMs while having 50-some chrome tabs open.

What do you all think of this: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/ASUS-ZenBook-3-UX390UA-XH74-12.5in-Core-i7-7500U-16-GB-RAM-512-GB-SS/4309342.aspx?pfm=srh

gently caress ASUS, seriously.

Would you consider a Lenovo T260 or T460S an ultrabook? You can fit 24GB in those fuckers (I think) with a 16GB SO-DIMM

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get the X1 with 16 gigs. Also the new X1 comes out next month.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

poo poo I looked up the X1 carbon and it looks like a dream? When is it coming out?

I want a laptop that can run adobe cc well. Dunno much about intel 620. The form factor looks awesome compared to the beastie sager/clevos I'm looking at.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hello Laptop Megathread, how I love you so. I come now in a time of need(ish):

My Broadwell MSI laptop with a 970M has, and continues, to work fabulously. However, a year and a half of dragging it to various continents, moving halfway across the country, and taking it to work are starting to take a physical toll on the exposed plastic bits of the chassis (namely air vents). In case I need to make an emergency laptop purchase, I'm trying to settle on the one to buy (despite the fact that I would much rather wait until Raven Ridge APU powered laptops are available) so I have a just-in-case option for the near future.

Requirements:
  • Be able to run Rhino 5 3D Modeler (the specs page is pretty vague, but the i7-5700HQ in my laptop more or less chews through everything). I just don't want to end up with a Y processor that can't pull its weight in that application. Same for GIMP and RawTherapee for photo processing.
  • Sturdy. Like carry to work and back daily, travel frequently, don't-die. User-serviceable is a plus, but clearly the plastic chassis with aluminum coverings on my current laptop are inadequate.
  • TB3 over USB-C is more or less a personal requirement - I would really love to be able to have an eGPU to play my games/render models with (which kinda knocks out the Dell XPS 15 9560, since it only uses 2 of the PCIe lanes instead of 4)
  • Ultrabook-style is a plus since I carry it every day (although the 5ishlbs on my current MSI isn't too bad).
  • 5+ hour battery life would be super dope, especially for Netflixing in bed (tent mode style hinges are a bonus also).
  • 500GB+SSD would be excellent - I have a NAS coming in that will offload a bunch of stuff from my laptop/backup important work files, but keeping games local is probably the biggest consumer of my hard drive real estate.
  • 8GB RAM minimum, 16GB preferable.
  • $2k is the absolute positively maximum I could spend on such a device.

This kind of brings me to a handful of options:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (2017): I think, if an eGPU isn't barred by BIOS bullshit, this is going to be the right option. The spare TB3 port will allow for extra simple home docking for ethernet, DAC/amp, mouse, and microphone. Just kind of have to wait on the reviews for it.

Dell XPS 13: Looks like a good option for almost everything, but I'm not totally sure if I'll find myself CPU-bound on modeling and games (assume eGPU is attached for everything) if I should opt to pick back up on Fallout 4.

HP Spectre x360: I saw a few reviews for it crop up recently, and there are a few eGPU places that say it works, which is nice. Not sure if I'll run into the same CPU-bound problem as the XPS 13 for certain tasks, though. The larger touchpad is a nice option over the Dell, but outside of airports I am always using a mouse.

Lenovo ThinkPad T470S: All I know is that it will be a thing sometime this month. I haven't had a ThinkPad before, but it should be speccable up to i7, IPS

Razer Blade/Stealth: I don't know if these are sufficiently sturdy to handle dragging around with me every day to work. The 1060 in the Blade would save on needing to purchase an eGPU for the next two-ish years, so that eats up the $100 over my budget that the 512GB option. I'm just not sure about battery life on the full fat 14 inch model as well. Same question for possible CPU-bound tasks on the Stealth.

On-board HDMI/DP doesn't really matter to me since I'll probably end up with an Akitio Node or Razer Core to plug into an external display. If I pick up a display for work, I can find one that supports DP over TB3/USB-C. Over 1080p@60Hz isn't a thing I need in any application, even games (especially since it would take a hardware revision of the Steam Link to get that to my living room TV).

I'm open to any additional suggestions to research as well. Hopefully there's something out there that will be able to handle daily commute/travel and all that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kiwid posted:

16 GB RAM is available on most business class laptops, but it's a bto (build to order) option. If you buy off the shelf you're limited to specific feature sets.

With DDR4 finally available 32gb and even 64gb ought to be available as bto probably starting next year, even if it does nuke your battery life

Our product's minimum spec recently went from 16 to 32 GB RAM, which makes it really hard for the developers to run it in a VM and get real world performance out of it. People here were spitting venom when apple announced that they wouldn't offer 32 GB on the new MBP due to battery issues.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Further experimenting with the Plus reveals that you basically just can't use anything in tablet mode if it uses fixed size background assets, like many games. If the app is scalable at all it works fine. So basically anything with both portrait and landscape mode are good. However, if the Pro is considerably faster, and you plan to use a lot of apps at once, wait for the Pro. It's JUST weak enough to notice, which is the worst.

White Privilegist
Jan 13, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

You can get the X1 with 16 gigs. Also the new X1 comes out next month.

How will this affect pricing on the current/previous gen X1 Carbons? A bunch of the current gen ones went up on Lenovo's outlet site recently. Think they'll be cheaper a month from now?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Hello Laptop Megathread, how I love you so. I come now in a time of need(ish):

Check out the Alienware 13 R3. You can get one configured with an i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060, Thunderbolt 3, 512gb NVMe SSD, OLED Screen (beautiful 1440p screen, better then IPS), and 8gb of ram for ~$1600 from the dell website. It is user servicable so uou can then upgrade the ram yourself to 16gb and install a second SSD M2 drive into it.

Plus if you only want to use thunderbolt for just a eGPU, Alienware has it's only proprietary eGPU port / enclosure called the Alienware Graphics Amplifier which is significantly cheaper then Thunderbolt eGPU enclosures at <$200. Plus the port is directly wired to it's own dedicated PCI Express lane so performance degradation is less then using a Thunderbolt 3 port.

The downsides is that it's pretty thick of a laptop. But it's still a portable machine.

Also do not get the Razer Blade. I had to return mine because the fans would run at around 40 percent all the time even when idle.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Rabid Snake posted:

Check out the Alienware 13 R3. You can get one configured with an i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060, Thunderbolt 3, 512gb NVMe SSD, OLED Screen (beautiful 1440p screen, better then IPS), and 8gb of ram for ~$1600 from the dell website. It is user servicable so uou can then upgrade the ram yourself to 16gb and install a second SSD M2 drive into it.

Plus if you only want to use thunderbolt for just a eGPU, Alienware has it's only proprietary eGPU port / enclosure called the Alienware Graphics Amplifier which is significantly cheaper then Thunderbolt eGPU enclosures at <$200. Plus the port is directly wired to it's own dedicated PCI Express lane so performance degradation is less then using a Thunderbolt 3 port.

The downsides is that it's pretty thick of a laptop. But it's still a portable machine.

Also do not get the Razer Blade. I had to return mine because the fans would run at around 40 percent all the time even when idle.

The Akitio Node is "only" $299, which isn't that big of a deal, which is nice. The biggest thing I'm worried about is sturdiness. The plastic frame is giving me a little pause because it's a similar construction to the MSI that I currently have. I would rather shell out the extra for an enterprise-grade portable laptop first, then go for the gaming capabilities, hence the eGPU enclosure (sorry if I wasn't clear about that earlier). Thank you very much for the suggestion, though! Always good to have too many options than too few.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

The Akitio Node is "only" $299, which isn't that big of a deal, which is nice. The biggest thing I'm worried about is sturdiness. The plastic frame is giving me a little pause because it's a similar construction to the MSI that I currently have. I would rather shell out the extra for an enterprise-grade portable laptop first, then go for the gaming capabilities, hence the eGPU enclosure (sorry if I wasn't clear about that earlier). Thank you very much for the suggestion, though! Always good to have too many options than too few.

For what it's worth, the 13R3 has a solid aluminum chassis underneath it's plastic making it feel pretty sturdy but at a cost of being 5 pounds for it's form factor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Interesting, thank you! I'll take a look at some more reviews!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

White Privilegist posted:

How will this affect pricing on the current/previous gen X1 Carbons? A bunch of the current gen ones went up on Lenovo's outlet site recently. Think they'll be cheaper a month from now?

No idea. Lenovo's sales and its website are shitshows.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Picked up a Chromebook Plus. Excellent build, with a fantastic display. Keyboard and trackpad aren't bad at all, except for the keyboard being too cramped owing to the laptop being so narrow. 3:2 AR is sooooo nice though, it makes it worth it. No backlighting is pretty disappointing. Performance seems tolerable, though no where near as good as my Celeron Dell CB13. The stylus is nifty, but the input lag on it and the palm rejection are pretty poor. Android apps work well, but window sizing with them sucks.

From a build standpoint, its definitely worth the price, but I can't get over spending $450 on a Chromebook with an ARM processor.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I know as soon as I buy that, Lenovo's gonna release a 3:2 Thinkpad.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

[*] TB3 over USB-C is more or less a personal requirement - I would really love to be able to have an eGPU to play my games/render models with (which kinda knocks out the Dell XPS 15 9560, since it only uses 2 of the PCIe lanes instead of 4)

FWIW when I found benchmarks online at higher resolutions in actual games the perf cost of the 2 lane TB3 port wasn't very high. It seems like a big deal when you are running at lower resolutions at a really high frame rate (> 90), in synthetic benchmarks, and if you are running on the internal monitor. Finding those benchmarks helped me stick with the XPS over the MSI options.

I have the XPS 15 and its kicking rear end on Unity work which I'd think probably has similar requirements to Rhino 3. If build quality matters it is way above any PC laptop I've ever used.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ohhh really? Because I do like that the XPS 15 has the HQ CPU in it. Do you have any of the information on the 2 lane limits?

This is now a genuine dilemma between that and the X1 Carbon.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Requirements:
  • Be able to run Rhino 5 3D Modeler (the specs page is pretty vague, but the i7-5700HQ in my laptop more or less chews through everything). I just don't want to end up with a Y processor that can't pull its weight in that application. Same for GIMP and RawTherapee for photo processing.
  • Sturdy. Like carry to work and back daily, travel frequently, don't-die. User-serviceable is a plus, but clearly the plastic chassis with aluminum coverings on my current laptop are inadequate.
  • TB3 over USB-C is more or less a personal requirement - I would really love to be able to have an eGPU to play my games/render models with (which kinda knocks out the Dell XPS 15 9560, since it only uses 2 of the PCIe lanes instead of 4)
  • Ultrabook-style is a plus since I carry it every day (although the 5ishlbs on my current MSI isn't too bad).
  • 5+ hour battery life would be super dope, especially for Netflixing in bed (tent mode style hinges are a bonus also).
  • 500GB+SSD would be excellent - I have a NAS coming in that will offload a bunch of stuff from my laptop/backup important work files, but keeping games local is probably the biggest consumer of my hard drive real estate.

This kind of brings me to a handful of options:

Razer Blade/Stealth: I don't know if these are sufficiently sturdy to handle dragging around with me every day to work. The 1060 in the Blade would save on needing to purchase an eGPU for the next two-ish years, so that eats up the $100 over my budget that the 512GB option. I'm just not sure about battery life on the full fat 14 inch model as well. Same question for possible CPU-bound tasks on the Stealth.

On-board HDMI/DP doesn't really matter to me since I'll probably end up with an Akitio Node or Razer Core to plug into an external display. If I pick up a display for work, I can find one that supports DP over TB3/USB-C. Over 1080p@60Hz isn't a thing I need in any application, even games (especially since it would take a hardware revision of the Steam Link to get that to my living room TV).

I'm open to any additional suggestions to research as well. Hopefully there's something out there that will be able to handle daily commute/travel and all that.

I just received my Blade Stealth, refurbished but in like-new condition. First-gen (so Skylake, 8 GB RAM,) with a 256 GB SSD and they actually sent one with the 4K display instead of QHD. I had wanted the latter, largely for battery-life concerns, but the display is gorgeous and I'm not going to RMA something that I effectively got at like a $100-200 discount. I don't think this one was sent to me by mistake, either, since the other Stealth model they were selling had the 4K display with a 512 GB SSD instead; they do on occasion send a "better-than-listed" product like this, although it's usually with the "grab-bag" old laptop/desktop sales.

Anyways, it's really nice. Physically it seems durable, due to the metal chassis. The display and keyboard in particular are especially nice. eGPU support of course, although I don't have one yet. Only 2C/4T as you know, but the Kaby Lake refresh does have 16 GB of RAM and better battery life. I don't know if this (either generation) will work for you but I thought I'd share my experience.

kiwid posted:

What's the best 13" ultrabook I can get for <$1600?

Prefer i7, 16gb RAM, 256GB SSD, non-poo poo screen resolution.

It does not have to be touch.

See my comments above about the Razer Blade Stealth. You can get the i7-7500U + 16 GB RAM + 256 GB SSD + QHD version for $1250. (The Skylake version that I was supposed to receive refurbished with 8 GB RAM + 256 GB SSD + QHD display was $850.)

IuniusBrutus posted:

Picked up a Chromebook Plus. Excellent build, with a fantastic display. Keyboard and trackpad aren't bad at all, except for the keyboard being too cramped owing to the laptop being so narrow. 3:2 AR is sooooo nice though, it makes it worth it. No backlighting is pretty disappointing. Performance seems tolerable, though no where near as good as my Celeron Dell CB13. The stylus is nifty, but the input lag on it and the palm rejection are pretty poor. Android apps work well, but window sizing with them sucks.

From a build standpoint, its definitely worth the price, but I can't get over spending $450 on a Chromebook with an ARM processor.

I like reading these reviews of the new Samsung CB. It seems pretty nice, and more manufacturers are coming out with taller displays inspired by the Pixel. Don't worry too much about having the ARM CPU; ChromeOS doesn't care so for as far as you, the end user is concerned, it's irrelevant (outside of wanting to install Ubuntu and some non-ARM software.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was seriously looking at the new Samsung Chromebook Pro and was ready to buy right up until I realized that it didn't have a backlit keyboard.

As someone who primarily uses their Chromebook at home on the couch at night or in bed, a backlit keyboard is a pretty high priority item for me, especially after having used one on my Thinkpad for the last... Nearly five years

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I puled the trigger on the Acer VX15 with the 1050ti and IPS screen. I'll write something up when I use it for a while

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
$$??

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

$1050.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

ti.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

NewFatMike posted:

Requirements:
that.

I guess the question is will it run okay on a dual core Ultrabook CPU? Your current laptop has a very fast quad core, you certainly ain't going to come close to that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Ohhh really? Because I do like that the XPS 15 has the HQ CPU in it. Do you have any of the information on the 2 lane limits?

This is now a genuine dilemma between that and the X1 Carbon.

I'd check the eGPU reddits which have a ton of info.

The eGPU thing is kind of in flux at the moment as a lot of new enclosures are coming out / about to come out that haven't been tested much and may offer some better and cheaper options. A Dell engineer on twitter recently said they were going to get the XPS certified to work with those enclosures as some of the newer ones require some hacky work arounds unless your laptop has been specifically flagged to work with them which I don't think many are ATM.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
starting to research Windows laptops with:

15" >1080p screens
quad-core CPUs
16GB RAM
strong battery life (though I get that >1080p screens have a large impact on this)

Main heavy task is photo editing. I don't need extremely powerful 3D since I've got a good setup for Steam in-home streaming; 1050 or iGPU would be fine. I like the looks of the new XPS15 but I'm extremely wary of reports of coil whine, crackling speakers, etc. as that kind of stuff will bother me endlessly.

$2k is probably the most I'm willing to go for. Thanks for any recommendations!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

The eGPU thing is kind of in flux at the moment as a lot of new enclosures are coming out / about to come out that haven't been tested much and may offer some better and cheaper options. A Dell engineer on twitter recently said they were going to get the XPS certified to work with those enclosures as some of the newer ones require some hacky work arounds unless your laptop has been specifically flagged to work with them which I don't think many are ATM.

This is a good post.

Yeah there's about 10 usb-c thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosures about to come on the market, some of them were at CES in January, the next big trade show where release dates might be announced would be GDC at the end of March.

Hopefully the certification process gets streamlined, I would love to get an XPS 13 or 15, then add an eGPU when prices come down in a year or so. You can already very DIY adapters under $100 and some of the old USB 3.0 eGPU are $199 so there's probably still room for the prices to come down once a couple of models are on the market in close competition

T470 also comes with TB3 and a crappy GTX 940m, might make a good starter gaming laptop and then add the eGPU in a year or two

I can't believe I'm actually talking about eGPUs as a viable product. How time flies

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 14, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Phone posting is going to make this a nightmare, oh well!

dissss posted:

I guess the question is will it run okay on a dual core Ultrabook CPU? Your current laptop has a very fast quad core, you certainly ain't going to come close to that.

Yeah, that was my concern with the Broadwell i7 HQ CPU. It looks like for most 3D modeling programs a 64 bit 2GHz processor with SSE2 support should do it, so I guess that's everything? gently caress frequency for a minimum processor spec, but I guess it's not too demanding on the processor, probably more so on GPUs for the actual rendering process, but my 970M handles it like a champ.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, I've been catching up on a lot of it lately. I have to do some research because apparently the Node uses a newer controller and I'd be devastated if I loved either the Thinkpad or XPS 15 9560 and couldn't get them to work for ??? reasons.

It seems like it's mostly "routine" driver installations for the most part but some folks are getting weird behavior. Pretty whatever, I guess, I put up with Ubuntu for a few years on my primary machine, but hopefully they'll get more plug and play in the near future.

Hadlock posted:

This is a good post.

Yeah there's about 10 usb-c thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosures about to come on the market, some of them were at CES in January, the next big trade show where release dates might be announced would be GDC at the end of March.

Hopefully the certification process gets streamlined, I would love to get an XPS 13 or 15, then add an eGPU when prices come down in a year or so. You can already very DIY adapters under $100 and some of the old USB 3.0 eGPU are $199 so there's probably still room for the prices to come down once a couple of models are on the market in close competition

T470 also comes with TB3 and a crappy GTX 940m, might make a good starter gaming laptop and then add the eGPU in a year or two

I can't believe I'm actually talking about eGPUs as a viable product. How time flies

I made a deal on the first week of November with the Blues Devil at a crossroads for eGPU tech to be a viable option. He said there would be a terrible price. So worth.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hadlock posted:

This is a good post.

Do any of those eGPUs allow you to feedback to the laptop's display, or do they always require an external monitor?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, TB3 is just a wide open extension of your PCI-e bus from the motherboard direct to the CPU and the card is just acting as if it's in the case of a normal PC desktop.

Unless people are doing this with their desktop, where they somehow route the video signal from the PCI-e based video card, back through the bus, somehow to the onboard graphics on the motherboard, without introducing a bunch of latency. If you can do it there, then you could potentially do it. I don't think that's a very common use case. But maybe I'm wrong.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

emdash posted:

starting to research Windows laptops with:

15" >1080p screens
quad-core CPUs
16GB RAM
strong battery life (though I get that >1080p screens have a large impact on this)

Main heavy task is photo editing. I don't need extremely powerful 3D since I've got a good setup for Steam in-home streaming; 1050 or iGPU would be fine. I like the looks of the new XPS15 but I'm extremely wary of reports of coil whine, crackling speakers, etc. as that kind of stuff will bother me endlessly.

$2k is probably the most I'm willing to go for. Thanks for any recommendations!

The only laptop on the market with good enough Adobe RGB coverage is the 4k XPS models. Unless you are willing to compromise significantly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Do any of those eGPUs allow you to feedback to the laptop's display, or do they always require an external monitor?

Yes, this works, but with an additional performance penalty. As a rough example, due to the bandwidth limitations you might expect a 10% penalty (between the same card installed in a desktop vs. the external enclosure) putting the eGPU between the PC and monitor. If you instead had the eGPU connected to your laptop and wanted it to output back to the laptop's own display you might get a 20% performance penalty then. This is covered in some reviews like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFZGCwoRmo

eames
May 9, 2009

Something perhaps worth reading for those who are considering Razer notebooks (like myself)

Mobius 1 posted:

1. The Kepler generation Blade 14 (I believe it's a 870M GPU) - has a defect where the vBIOS chip is placed on the back of the GPU area, and that chip can only survive 75c before frying out. Due to the thin design and the chip not being cooled it is very easy for that chip to die and make the unit inoperable.

2. Newer Blades with Maxwell + Haswell / Skylake has issue where a VRM / mosfet bank would give up since the components used are low quality and cannot sustain high temperatures. These would eventually give up and need to be replaced by an astronomical cost of $700 out of warranty from Razer.

The whole thing is documented here, including a video of a notebook repair guy who claims Razer is replacing the underdimensioned/faulty mosfets with the same exact same parts on refurbished boards, as well as a non-statement ("contact support") by the CEO of Razer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/5tr8wt/razer_ceo_covering_up_cheappoor_design_of_razer/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-ceo-covering-up-cheap-poor-design-of-razer-notebooks.801443/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Atomizer posted:

Yes, this works, but with an additional performance penalty. As a rough example, due to the bandwidth limitations you might expect a 10% penalty (between the same card installed in a desktop vs. the external enclosure) putting the eGPU between the PC and monitor. If you instead had the eGPU connected to your laptop and wanted it to output back to the laptop's own display you might get a 20% performance penalty then. This is covered in some reviews like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFZGCwoRmo

Thanks you. That might be fine. I'm hoping the next laptop provided by my work has Thunderbolt. They provide it's and 8-16GB of RAM, but never get the discrete graphics option when it's available.