Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

What is there to talk about?
Could make that argument about a lot of stuff on SA, yet here we are.

Josh Lyman posted:

There was not. There was very minor discussion in the UK megathread.

I had to go to Reddit to find discussion. :barf:
Okay, thanks for the confirmation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just going to be a couple pages of "X is really pretty" and "Yeah it looks amazing."

Neither of these things can be said about cable quality.

I'll watch it after they release the UHD Blu-ray. There's really no other way to watch it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I believe there was some discussion in the last Couch Chat too? I might be imagining this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I believe there was some discussion in the last Couch Chat too? I might be imagining this.
Ya. Snow leopard and penguins made me cry.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

There was. I mean it's only 3 episodes so I'm not sure it needs a thread even.

God dang those penguins were badasses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's an episode of the Invisible Man from the second season, I think it's called Brother's Keeper that has an incredibly sad sacrifice in the last few minutes that has always been good at making me tear up.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

I mean it's only 3 episodes

Umm, I have some good news for you.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

I mean, it's a pretty bad episode to watch if you haven't watched the show, because you have no context for the characters. Plus the impact on you as a viewer of the character that died is gonna be nil because you didn't know them from watching the show.

I don't think that's true, there are a few things that don't work but the themes are pretty universal. Like I said I don't really like the show at all outside of that episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looten Plunder posted:

Umm, I have some good news for you.

Son of a bitch!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Continuum thread has been archived so I figured I could stick this here

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh, that's what Santa Clarita Diet is about.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The Continuum thread has been archived so I figured I could stick this here

I like that whoever marked out their last name, but you could still find it easily by going to their twitter account which they didn't mark out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

I like that whoever marked out their last name, but you could still find it easily by going to their twitter account which they didn't mark out.

There was an article I read about 2 guys who snuck into the Super Bowl. They had declined to give their names so they don't get in trouble. But it included embeds from one's twitter feed where his account is @lastnamefirstname.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Longbaugh01 posted:

:cripes:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lycus posted:

Oh, that's what Santa Clarita Diet is about.

Yet another in netflix's continuing line of awful show names that convey little to nothing of what the show is.

Good show though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

Yet another in netflix's continuing line of awful show names that convey little to nothing of what the show is.

Good show though.

Netflix's model doesn't really need to do that, so they can go for jokier titles.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
they could've called it Mombie

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

What is there to talk about? It's not like there's a plot or anything besides the small story of the snow leopard family. It's just going to be a couple pages of "X is really pretty" and "Yeah it looks amazing."

I guess republicans will hate the global warming message though.

There's the iguana vs. snake chase in the first episode which is one of the greatest things ever shown on television, but everyone has already seen that since there were memes and remixes online the next day.

IRQ posted:

There was. I mean it's only 3 episodes so I'm not sure it needs a thread even.

God dang those penguins were badasses.

It was only 3 episodes, really? I thought I was behind on it and turns out I saw it all.

less laughter posted:

That would have been a bit on the nose, since they make that joke in the show itself.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 15, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's also a terrible title. I kind of assume it was an early title for the show that got scrapped and then used as the comic title.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

less laughter posted:

I haven't watched a single episode and it obviously seemed to be about zombies. :confused:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Since we've got a lot of Americans fans here I'll just point you all to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBxUgqe8eQ

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

It was only 3 episodes, really? I thought I was behind on it and turns out I saw it all.

There are 6 episodes :geno:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't watched a single episode and it obviously seemed to be about zombies. :confused:

I don't know how you figured that out without knowing anything about it. I didn't see the blood at first in the smaller title card, so I just noticed a man and woman carrying a cooler. When I read some of the episode titles, I thought it was about suburban serial killers or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

I don't know how you figured that out without knowing anything about it. I didn't see the blood at first in the smaller title card, so I just noticed a man and woman carrying a cooler. When I read some of the episode titles, I thought it was about suburban serial killers or something.
I remember seeing a poster that had Drew Barrymore eating a heart or something.

Also "diet".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the initial conversation was you couldn't tell just from the title alone. Although even if you went on Netflix first you'd see the heart burger thumbnail so

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

On my app, it's just Barrymore and Olyphaunt carrying a bloody cooler.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The marketing I saw seemed to be purposefully satirical self help type ads that if you actually read or looked closely at revealed there was something up and hinted at zombies without being overt. I thought it was kind of clever.

For the most part I assume Netflix doesn't see a major need to overly explain its shows since if you're a subscriber you're eventually going to notice the show in the banners or menus.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My early impressions were that it was about cannibalism, not necessarily full-on living dead (though I understand that's a little ambiguous?)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

For the most part I assume Netflix doesn't see a major need to overly explain its shows since if you're a subscriber you're eventually going to notice the show in the banners or menus.

My problem is that with a lot of those I have no idea what the show is about and they release so many now it's hard to keep up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Santa Clarita Diet was just a Netflix Original Family Sitcom because my eyes also glaze over anytime Netflix shoves shows at me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lycus posted:

Well, it's not not about that, technically...

STAC Goat posted:

The marketing I saw seemed to be purposefully satirical self help type ads that if you actually read or looked closely at revealed there was something up and hinted at zombies without being overt. I thought it was kind of clever.

When it came out, it was the "featured" thing that shows up as the default selection and shows a clip when Netflix starts up.

precision posted:

I thought Santa Clarita Diet was just a Netflix Original Family Sitcom because my eyes also glaze over anytime Netflix shoves shows at me.

This is true, Netflix shovels out so much poo poo these days that it's not a given that anything it's pushing hard is worth paying attention to.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 15, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

raditts posted:

Well, it's not not about that, technically...

Heh, well, true, but you know what I mean, non-supernatural killers.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Has Netflix become the Wii of tv, producing 20 shovelware titles for every decent one?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Has Netflix become the Wii of tv, producing 20 shovelware titles for every decent one?

I would say the Steam Greenlight of TV, but I'm not totally sure which of those is worse.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress was that finale of Santa Clarita Diet?

I'm not categorically against a cliffhanger to end a season but it wasn't even that good of a cliffhanger. Off the top of my head I can think of three better mid season cliffhangers.

Awful.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What are these bad Netlix shows? Whilst not everything is amazing, I'd recommend pretty much everything I've watched.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Looten Plunder posted:

What the gently caress was that finale of Santa Clarita Diet?

I'm not categorically against a cliffhanger to end a season but it wasn't even that good of a cliffhanger. Off the top of my head I can think of three better mid season cliffhangers.

Awful.

It reminded me of the last Longmire finale. It felt like they forgot to upload one or two episodes.

Looten Plunder posted:

What are these bad Netlix shows? Whilst not everything is amazing, I'd recommend pretty much everything I've watched.

I only watched one episode for shits, but I would not recommend Fuller House.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 16, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lycus posted:

I only watched one episode for shits, but I would not recommend Fuller House.

I'd imagine it was on par with the original. Just the people that grew up watching that you know, grew up. Now they realize it wasn't very good to begin with. Or maybe they don't realize it and think it was. Who knows. I assume that's also what happened to the Boy Meets World spinoff.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

I'd imagine it was on par with the original. Just the people that grew up watching that you know, grew up. Now they realize it wasn't very good to begin with. Or maybe they don't realize it and think it was. Who knows. I assume that's also what happened to the Boy Meets World spinoff.

My brother, who dug Full House when he was growing up, kept up with Fuller House for shits and giggles and one day he realized that he was really, genuinely into the show. He sees it as an updated version of the kind of charmingly cheesy late 80s-early 90s sitcom that Full House represented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Since this is where Planet Earth II chat goes, here is Hans Zimmer previewing his Coachella gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHyuh0Ooro

• Locked thread