Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sefal posted:

Yes. the story is charming. It has quite a few (final fantasy) jokes that landed really well and got me laughing. the gameplay is fun. it's fun to collect all the monsters and train them.

the game also makes it ridiculously easy to train up any new monsters you get, so you never have to stick with ones you get early on if you come across ones that you want more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Vita version gets slow in towns.

But the Vita version of anything gets slow in towns.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

man nurse posted:

So is World of Final Fantasy worth it? More importantly, what are the chances it comes to PC later?

It was the best Final Fantasy game released last year.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh welp, PS Now support is being discontinued August 15th for every device except for PS4's and PC's. Warm up your class action machines!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What else did PS Now even run on.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PS3, Vita, PSTV, and certain Sony and Samsung SmartTV's if paired with a Dualshock 4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol it never even made it to my county.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps never

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

univbee posted:

PS3, Vita, PSTV, and certain Sony and Samsung SmartTV's if paired with a Dualshock 4.

The PSTV bundle I bought specifically advertised PS Now, and while I never used the service, I hope I can get compensated!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ps now should just be discontinued for all devices and the games release for the PS4 and be done with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They should just get top Japanese engineers / magicians to get PS3 games running on PS4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They should just get top Japanese engineers / magicians to get PS3 games running on PS4

They should just give out free ps3s with every ps4

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
They should just sell decent emulators for $60 a pop.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

They should just sell decent emulators for $60 a pop.

I am a proud owner of a Bleem! cd. Worth every penny to have played castlevania SOTN without owning a playstation.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It probably wouldn't be too hard to come up with a USB attachment that has cell processing to emulate games. It's a shame we couldn't have a bottom attachment like with what was potentially planned with the SNES and Sony.

Ryoga posted:

I am a proud owner of a Bleem! cd. Worth every penny to have played castlevania SOTN without owning a playstation.

Virtual Playstation was amazing back in my day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I could finally pack away my Demons Souls machine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ps now should just be discontinued for all devices and the games release for the PS4 and be done with it.

Agree. It still strange how the Xbone got 360 BC to a pretty good point, where the PS4 still doesn't have PS1 support.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Subscriptions are the new micro transaction

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rirse posted:

Agree. It still strange how the Xbone got 360 BC to a pretty good point, where the PS4 still doesn't have PS1 support.

the xbox ones cpu is not as different from 360 as ps3 to ps4

Xbox also isnt invested in streaming games, isnt selling on merits of current software, and they have a lot of money to solve problems with.

It was an easier problem, they were better equipped to solve it, and they absolutely needed to solve it to stop the bleeding.

Ps3 is weird tech, sony needs to validate owning a stream service, and the ps4 sells real well so they dont care

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rirse posted:

i think you should be asking yourself why xbone didnt have bc until it was really obvious they were in distant second place, if you want to know why the ps4 does not have bc of any kind

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
sony has to serve a bunch of different masters like their streaming division and 4k blueray player division and music delivery division (remember playing audio on a launch ps4?) and its responsible for most of the bad decisions they've made.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yoya posted:

sony has to serve a bunch of different masters like their streaming division and 4k blueray player division and music delivery division (remember playing audio on a launch ps4?) and its responsible for most of the bad decisions they've made.

They cut the 4k bluray guys loose with pro. No support to someones chagrin. but not mine idgaf

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

They cut the 4k bluray guys loose with pro. No support to someones chagrin. but not mine idgaf

4K Blu-ray is in a really weird place because it's a straight-up downgrade if you're not using a 4K HDR screen because the color grading is often done differently and in a way where you're expected to have HDR; most discs will even straight-up tell you to watch the regular Blu-ray instead if your equipment chain isn't 4K capable. It's a bit different from DVD and Blu-ray which were explicit full upgrades and where it did sort of make sense to get the media and player even if the rest of your equipment wasn't maxing out the format's potential.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's insane to me that companies are selling consumer media at 4K, you could literally use them for cinema projections.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's insane to me that companies are selling consumer media at 4K, you could literally use them for cinema projections.

There was actually a major concern with this format because the higher-ups in movie studios feared clandestine theaters.

They still haven't figured out that only a miniscule segment of the population actually gives a gently caress how many p's the movie they're watching is at.

Short of the studios forcing consumers' hands, DVD isn't going away in our lifetime.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I just realized tonight that I forgot to buy the 2 dollar Katamari game and I'm real salty about it. Is there a place that shows like price history or frequency of sales so I can convince myself that I didn't permanently miss out on the deal?

E: the one time I forget to check the OP first. Looks like I'll have to wait another year, if they even have sales on it anymore. So salty.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 16, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Xbox also isnt invested in streaming games, isnt selling on merits of current software, and they have a lot of money to solve problems with.

It was an easier problem, they were better equipped to solve it, and they absolutely needed to solve it to stop the bleeding.

Ps3 is weird tech, sony needs to validate owning a stream service, and the ps4 sells real well so they dont care

Well yeah, that explains why PS3 games can't run on a PS4 unless you stream them. Doesn't explain why PS1 games can't run on a PS4 though, given that the PS4 is clearly powerful enough to fairly accurately emulate a PS1 (especially as Sony should know how a PS1 works, they made the drat thing). It's clearly powerful enough to emulate PS2 games with a few fancy features added in like trophies, consistent framerate and upping the display resolution with the PS2 Classics line, so I don't know why PS1 games are being skipped.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I was going to make some post about who really want' to play PS1 games on their PS4s but then realized that I want to play Nuclear/Soviet strike so what the gently caress SONY

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I was going to make some post about who really want' to play PS1 games on their PS4s but then realized that I want to play Nuclear/Soviet strike so what the gently caress SONY

sony would very much like people to want ps1 games, but once again, it would cannibalize their other, shittier efforts

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shadow225 posted:

I just realized tonight that I forgot to buy the 2 dollar Katamari game and I'm real salty about it. Is there a place that shows like price history or frequency of sales so I can convince myself that I didn't permanently miss out on the deal?

E: the one time I forget to check the OP first. Looks like I'll have to wait another year, if they even have sales on it anymore. So salty.

psprices.com has a good timeline.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

The Xbox 360 processor is nowhere close to the x86 architecture of the new console. I mean apples are closer to oranges than bigmacs but it's a technical marvel they are able to emulate the 360 at all and especially so well.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm pretty sure the main reason the PS4 can't play PS1 games is because they want to eventually start releasing PS1 classics with upscaled resolutions and trophies

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hmmmm maybe they should get on that.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Freak Futanari posted:

I'm pretty sure the main reason the PS4 can't play PS1 games is because they want to eventually start releasing PS1 classics with upscaled resolutions and trophies

I wouldn't mind. If they actually released them. So far it's only FF7 and parappa the rapper and wild arms 3 (Wild arms 3 may have been a ps2 game. not sure)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was PS2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Hmmmm maybe they should get on that.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I would pay a large sum of money if they ever put both of the Tombi games on the PS4 with trophy support

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sefal posted:

I wouldn't mind. If they actually released them. So far it's only FF7 and parappa the rapper and wild arms 3 (Wild arms 3 may have been a ps2 game. not sure)

FF7 is a port of the PC port's re-release and Sony had nothing to do with it. Sony..

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Yeah. I'm pretty sad right now because my PS3 broke down. It was one of the old ones that had hardware support for PS1 / PS2 games, and I have a pretty big collection of those. Lately, I've wanted to got back and play the early Yakuza games, and I don't have a machine that can do that . Kiwami is coming out in a few months, and I wanted to do a comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Ive never played the crash games and the remake looks like butthole but short of pulling my PS2 out of storage and tracking down ps1 discs I don't have a way of doing that.