Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I actually cut Star Trek a fair amount of slack for the forehead aliens, beyond the budget reasons. The whole point of early Trek was that the aliens encountered were just metaphors for some aspect/problem of human society (racism, greed, fascism, etc.) that the crew would then have to solve. Making them human-like makes them relatable to the common problem in our society, while at the same time makes them distinct enough to separate them from humanity. It's not a perfect solution, but I think especially in the TNG era they did well with what they had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And then later TNG introduced a plot twist that they were all descended from a race that looked suspiciously similar to the changelings but rather decidedly wasn't, further adding to the confusion.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm not sure if that was a good idea executed badly, or just a terrible idea.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Halloween Jack posted:

In the diagrams of coilguns I've seen, multiple coils along the barrel are actually pulling the projectile forward, rather than repelling it away from the receiver. Would that make a difference? (If you have a coil near the receiver repelling while another coil near the end of the barrel is attracting, would their reactions act against each other, canceling recoil effect on the shooter but placing shear stress on the barrel?)

Remember that as the coil pulls the projectile forward, the coil is also being pulled towards the projectile. Since the coil is mounted in the barrel, the barrel is being pulled backwards towards the projectile, pushing the rest of the gun backwards. The gun just happens to be a lot heavier and stabilized by the shooter so the force is largely absorbed to (relatively) minimal effect.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doresh thank you for putting that together. That seems like a lot of work, but its quite cool how Fight does make all of her moves feel pretty distinct.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ah, so the recoil is going into the shooter's body regardless of whether or not it's a pulling force. So any reduction in recoil would have to come from some combination of the projectile being lighter, the lack of escaping gas to deal with, or the recoil reaction taking place over a relatively long period of time compared to a gunpowder combustion.

I understand that in Star Wars and Mass Effect, the guns are mass accelerators--they have significant recoil because of the incredible force used to drive a microscopic projectile.

Kurieg posted:

And then later TNG introduced a plot twist that they were all descended from a race that looked suspiciously similar to the changelings but rather decidedly wasn't, further adding to the confusion.
I've noticed that it's pretty common, in SF stories where all the humanoid races are descended from some progenitor race, for the progenitors to be sort of blank and featureless like the Dominion Founders. (Compare the Engineers from Prometheus.) So I think it's a case of convergent evolution based on the same design concept...just within the same setting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

But it's okay, because everyone immediately forgot about that after the end of the episode.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Evil Mastermind posted:

But it's okay, because everyone immediately forgot about that after the end of the episode.

They showed up in Star Trek: Online a couple times.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I've noticed that it's pretty common, in SF stories where all the humanoid races are descended from some progenitor race, for the progenitors to be sort of blank and featureless like the Dominion Founders. (Compare the Engineers from Prometheus.) So I think it's a case of convergent evolution based on the same design concept...just within the same setting.

It doesn't help that the ancient alien was played by the same woman that played the female founder. And that her makeup was basically the female founder with veins instead of hair.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Wasn't there a twist at the end of season 1 of TNG where Starfleet was being controlled by aliens that looked like piles of spaghetti or am I losing my mind?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Wasn't there a twist at the end of season 1 of TNG where Starfleet was being controlled by aliens that looked like piles of spaghetti or am I losing my mind?
No, that happened, but they were little slug-like things that crawled inside people and took them over. But again, that was another idea that was abandoned almost immediately once revealed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Serf posted:

WE SEEK PEACEFUL COEXISTANCE
(Throat pulsates like a frog croaking)

Also, those were originally supposed to have been the lead-in to what became the Borg.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I love that episode ("Conspiracy") so much just because they got away with a shocking amount of gore for a TV show at the time, all heads exploding and chest-bursting slugs. It was like David Croenenberg directed a ST episode.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Since vulcans and klingons and humans and many others seem to be able to baby it up and produce fertile offspring, whether they're separate species at all would be a matter of debate.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Aliens producing offspring is in itself incredibly dumb. Of course the same goes for half-elves and half-orcs and all that.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Serf posted:

They also show up in Star Trek: Online, I believe.

STO, the land of forgotten narratives.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Simian_Prime posted:

I love that episode ("Conspiracy") so much just because they got away with a shocking amount of gore for a TV show at the time, all heads exploding and chest-bursting slugs. It was like David Croenenberg directed a ST episode.

If I remember correctly, that was the one and only TNG (and maybe any trek?) episode to have a viewer warning on it.

The idea that they were the original conception for what became the borg always made me wonder what could have been with that. Like, I assume it'd be 99% conspiracy type stuff with parasites, but the idea of some sort of crazy techno-organic "implants" would have been wacky cool. Probably would have fit the Star Trek aesthetic about as well as the Yuzhong Vong did for Star Wars, though.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Now imagine that in a court scenario. Without actual physical contact.

Halloween Jack posted:

If you're talking about Contenders, that's one of the few supplements out there that just makes me mad. It's like they were just completely taking the piss, and pissing on their audience. Making up cool Street Fighters for the PCs to fight or ally with shouldn't be hard.

Does "Sakura, except she's also Captain Tsubasa" sounds interesting enough?

Simian_Prime posted:

I actually cut Star Trek a fair amount of slack for the forehead aliens, beyond the budget reasons. The whole point of early Trek was that the aliens encountered were just metaphors for some aspect/problem of human society (racism, greed, fascism, etc.) that the crew would then have to solve. Making them human-like makes them relatable to the common problem in our society, while at the same time makes them distinct enough to separate them from humanity. It's not a perfect solution, but I think especially in the TNG era they did well with what they had.

And sometimes the lengths they went through to explain why they to resort to ill-fitting sets and costumes were hilarious. I especially love the episode where the went to the mafia planet where everyone looked and acted like some cheesy 30s gangster because they were following some equally cheesy novel.

Barudak posted:

Doresh thank you for putting that together. That seems like a lot of work, but its quite cool how Fight does make all of her moves feel pretty distinct.

It's easier than you think. The corebook has already covered a few archetypical (aka Street-Fighter-ish) Moves you can grab and customize, to say turn Ryu's move set into Sakura's. It gets trickier if you scour wikis in case you've missed some weird detail (aka "I didn't even know Sol Badguy had moves that can crit").

I'd say the trickiest part is Basic Qualities, if you're some math nerd like me who just has to look up frame data and stuff.

RandallODim posted:

STO, the land of forgotten narratives.

Guardian of the original continuity.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 14, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Doresh posted:

Does "Sakura, except she's also Captain Tsubasa" sounds interesting enough?

By SF standards, sure! The actual bestiary in SF is just "Generic Early 90s Direct-to-Video Movie Thug," "Generic Early 90s Direct-to-Video Movie Gangster," "Generic Early 90s Direct-to-Video Movie Ninja," and a few more like that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TNG went through a bunch of villains as they found the show's path. It was going to be the Ferengi until they turned out to be jokes, it was going to be the Bluegills until budget turned them into the Borg who were going to be more like their tech-eating "Q-Who" versions than the assimilation lovers they became, but the writer's strike killed the later Season 2 episodes they were going to show up in.

*I think they realized they were running into trouble because they brought the Romulans back in and they became TNG's fill-in badguys.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Romulans really filled the niche that the Klingons did in TOS (which is to be The Scheming Russians) since they started to go more into the Klingon warrior monoculture.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Plus the Klingons were their allies now. Worf was an exchange officer in his original version instead of a war orphan.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rifts World Book 8: Japan Part 16: “A trio of Oriental scientists from the Japanese Empire, stepped forward and bowed.”

Power Armor

We get the laundry list of features that all power armor has, including: nuclear power, radar, combat computer, targeting computer, laser targeting, thermo-imaging, infrared, telescopics, radio, loudspeaker, voice-actuated lock, environmental protection, radiation shielding, and polarized vision. We also get the exciting new rules that "light" power armor (under 9') gets a tremendous Prowl penalty and "heavy" power armor can't sneak at all. We're also told "88%" of power armor pilots in Japan get a special cybernetic head-jack not listed or priced anywhere that gives them minor piloting and combat bonuses. So there's that.

Seriously how do you remember to include a depth gauge but not a cyberjack? What did I even review that section for? Marciniszyn, have you ever edited a book in your life? :argh:

Original American SAMAS power armor, not appearing in this book.

Japanese SAMAS Power Armor

So, we get the return of :siren: Erin Tarn :siren: out of nowhere, but don't worry, she hasn't visited Japan. Instead, she's here to reveal in prose that the SAMAS (Strategic Assault Manned Armor System, we learn finally) suits were originally developed by the American Empire in concert with Armatech. Originally made for police and rescue, they were instead brought in by the military for further development. The Coalition seemingly rediscovered the designs, and then went on to add spikes and skulls as is their nature. Erin talks about seeing this at the Great Library of Chi-Town before it was burned down by the Federation of Magic... or was it? She speculates that it was likely looted and the books secreted away, and then burned by Karl Prosek's fledgling government, who then used the "attack" as a means to murder those associated with the library and seize its secrets for themselves. Oh, and eliminate thousands of learned individuals as "conspirators". She credits only a handful of surviving staff - including Plato as the former head librarian. Which is a little bizarre, because we know by now that Plato is an ancient dragon, which seems like a bit much for the human-dominated nation. Well, maybe he was shapeshifted 24/7 or something. Or Siembieda forgot. One of the two!

We get a lot of handwringing over the horrors of the Coalition that has nothing to do with Japan. Well, back to the land of the rising sun and falling moon.

Kinda looks like a samurai if you squint so hard you close your eyes.

Armatech "Samurai Class" SAMAS Power Armor

This is essentially the SAMAS armor from the corebook with psuedo-samurai stylings because :japan:, replacing the rail gun with a modestly more powerful particle cannon, mini-missiles in the arms, and a neural stick as a sidearm. One of the many cases Rifts could be like "this is like X only with instead of Y it has Z" but instead they reprint the whole stat block, because we need that much more filler. Speaking of filler...

Sparkle or spikes?

Glitter Boy Power Armor

So Armatech had apparently had been provided copies of the glitter boy for research and development, and instead of researching or developing that much they mostly just copied them wholesale. There'll be new models designed for civil defense that don't cause the sonic boom-

sonic boom

sonic boooom

sonic boooooom

save the planet from disaster

- er, um. Anyway. It calls them both tanks and infantry here and there, not really seeming to grasp the difference between the two, but mostly conventional glitter boys are used to defend the wilderness borders and shores of the Republic of Japan. We get a complete reprint of the glitter boy from the corebook, as if it wasn't right there in a book we don't already own, along with new and dodgier art, and then we get:

New Glitter Boys

Once again, we get the laundry list of drawbacks for the boom gun: that it causes a sonic boom that can be hazardous to unprotected soldiers and civilians, requires them to lock down, is shiny and hard to conceal, so they decided to create other variants. In case you're wondering, they're almost universally inferior - unlike the orbital glitter boys of Mutants in Orbit, almost all of the replacement weapons have around a third or less of the firepower of the original, making them into much more generic armored suits. This is the third time we've gotten additional glitter boys, for the record, with others appearing in Mutants in Orbit and Rifts World Book 5: Triax & the NGR.

Remember, camo doesn’t need different shading, it’s just random lines you scrawl all over something.

"Point" Glitter Boy

A smaller recon glitter boy, it doesn't really... glitter much. It has camo paint over the chrome job that's supposed to melt away when hit and somehow leave the glitter underneath intact. Sure, that makes sense.

:tizzy:

Perfect sense. (No, there are no rules for how that works.) It has only about 2/3rds of the toughness of the original glitter boy, is about 50% faster, and replaces the boom gun with a "Multi-Barrel Laser Rifle (M-BiLAR) AT-5000" which is as lovely as its name is long, doing only 1/3rd the damage of the boom gun. It also has a light rail gun on its forearm, smoke dispensers, and an enhanced sensor suite including a camera to stream video back to HQ. In general, about the only thing that makes it really exceptional is the improved durability over other equivalent power armor suits. But there isn't a lot it can do that a SAMAS can't.

Guess which is the more damaging shoulder.

"Hawkeye" Glitter Boy

This is supposed to be the anti-aircraft glitter boy, essentially the same as the basic model but instead having the M-BiLAR laser that the "Point" has... which is actually worse than the core glitter boy at anti-aircraft duties. It has a slight bonus to hit (+2 when aiming), true, but it don't down most aircraft. Meanwhile, the core boom gun has more range and three times the damage. It isn't even a contest.

Where the "Hawkeye" redeems itself, however, is with a special nanotech-designed missile system that allows it to use medium-range missiles that are the size of mini-missiles (though the damage listed is that of long-range missiles...). Taking the damage listed, this means it can do around three to five times the damage of a boom gun with its missile volleys, which bizarrely, the Republic of Japan has opted not to use on any other armor or vehicle. I mean, a soldier with a rocket launcher that used these things would revolutionize warfare in Japan and blow up all the samurais, but apparently the technicians of the Republic are some kind of idiot savants. :down: In any case, it also gets... two other regular mini-missile launcher, for some reason, I guess if it runs out of its super-missiles it can go back to those.

Optional GB Weapon Systems

We get several alternate replacements for the boom gun, including:
  • AT-1800 All-Purpose Rail Gun: A slight improvement on the medium rail gun. Actually better than M-BiLAR, which once again makes me wonder why they bother with the M-BiLAR.
  • Underwater M-BiLAR AT-5500: A blue-green laser (see my review of Underseas as to why this doesn't make science sense) that can fire underwater but has slightly reduced range. As mentioned in Underseas, there are no listed penalties for firing lasers underwater anyway.
  • GMS-APM Launcher: A mini-missile box that can fire up to 12 at a time, proving once again one of the few things that can top the boom gun is just firing poo poo-tons of missiles. It'll cost ridiculous amounts of money, of course, but hopefully the Republic is footing your missile bill.
We get a note that no particle beam weapons have been developed for the glitter boy because their range is limited to about 3000 feet, but are Rifts combat scenes really intended to take place at over ten football fields apart, by high-tech war machines firing weapons at each other from the literal horizon? That doesn't seem to be the intent, and that's about the only time this poo poo would matter. Make those particle beam weapons. PBs for GBs, guys. It rhymes.

Voted “most likely to get shot down in a first-person shooter”.

ATPA-85 "Power-Spy"

Moving away from the glitter boy parade, we move on to the Power-Spy, which is really more like an enhanced suit of normal armor than actual power armor. It provides more protection, has nanotech healing packs... as if a normal human could survive most damage in Rifts long enough for any nanobots to repair it... and enhanced strength. It lets you run faster and jump higher, has a ion gun to fire shots from your nipple zone, and vibro-blades in the wrists. It specifically notes it doesn't have the normal Prowl penalty that power armor now suddenly gives. 'Salright, I guess. There's an H-Brand version with lower stats that gives a mild prowl penalty instead.

Remember, guns don’t have to point at the enemy, they can just stick out any which way in RIfts!

H-Brand "Ninjabot"

This is about as ninja as a bandana on your forehead that says "NINJA" in English letters.

Yeah, like that. However, unlike most of the ninja poo poo in this book, for once the irony is deliberate. This is designed to be styled to appeal to weeaboos and ninja fans, but has the same -50% Prowl penalty as other power armor, and no real ninja would be caught dead in it. It has relatively low M.D.C. for a power armor, a dinky ion gun located in the chest, a forearm vibro-blade, and mini-missile launchers. It also has some special "ninja" systems like a grappling hook, magnets in the hands and feet to climb "surfaces containing metal", and a self-destruct mechanism. Mostly a piece of crap, but once again, the joke is intentional for a change.

”My shoulder plates are actually detachable hovercraft!”

IPA-40 Dai-Katana Bugei

Despite the name, this has no relation to John Romero or the bitches he makes. Instead, it's a light samurai-themed suit of power armor that runs around at 100 mph with limited flight (where "limited" means "five hours", lawl) and is supposed to as frontline skirmishers for Ichto. They're modestly tough, with an average rail gun (sometimes loaded with silver rounds), mini-missiles from the shoulders, and vibro katanas from the wrists, which... doesn't seem to be a good way to hold katanas, but I'm not a vibrokendo grand master or anything. Oh, and it has a head laser it'll never use, but Siembieda likes getting to shoot light from his temples, I guess. Pew pew.

No, it doesn't actually have a daikatana. :effort:

I think this was drawn as a giant robot and they just decided it wasn’t.

IPA-45 Ikusa (or "Warrior")

That's a confusing nickname.
  • Cyber-Ninja: "Look out, they have warriors!"
  • Juicer-Ninja: "What? Of course they have warriors."
  • Cyber-Ninja: "No, warriors, like the power armor!"
  • Juicer-Ninja: "So they have warriors in Warriors?"
  • Cyber-Ninja: "I guess? Oh, look, one stabbed me while we were trying to who's on first this poo poo!"
  • Juicer-Ninja: "Maybe there is a genius to the name after all, for I, too, am stabbed!"
Also, ikusa means "army", "battle", or "campaign", not "warrior" anyway. Whups.

Once again, this is another power armor designed after samurai from Ichto, this time with the oni-styled face mask. Man, if only this logic applied to our own countries, all of the American power armor could look like Civil War soldiers or plastic army men. Obviously, you style all your poo poo after ancient warriors, and only one type of ancient warriors. Where's the yamabushi power armor? The sōhei power armor? The yoriki-styled power armor? Nope, just samurais. Anyway... it's about half as fast as the Bugei but is slightly tougher, has a slightly bigger rail gun, mini-missiles, a shoulder laser, and, of course, a vibro-daisho. All these robo-samurai is starting to get pretty wearying. There's also some talk about how H-Brand copying the Ikusa nearly led to war from Ichto, because that's a logical response to somebody making lovely knock-off weapons you could smack down in a heartbeat.

What I said about guns going any direction? Fuckin’ double that here.

IPA-50 "Grenadier"

Moving away from samurais for a moment, we get the grenadier, which looks more like a Battletech escapee. It's actually drat tough, about twice as tough as any other IPA power armor and about 2/3rds as tough as a glitter boy. Surprisingly, perhaps because how the burst fire rules weren't considered, this can actually top the glitter boy in firepower, since it can fire eight grenades from its IR-50 "Super-Launcher" as a burst. And even though grenades are crap, enough high explosive or plasma grenades actually tops the boom gun in damage and actually gets a burst radius as well. It also has mini-missiles that can swarm out of its ridiculous launch tubes aimed every which way (but loose), which can also top a GB's damage output. Though a lot of power armor get sold as "glitter boy killers", this is one of the few that might manage it.

It looks really, really dumb, though.

”JUSTICE RAINS FROM- wait, I’m unarmed?”

IPA-60 Tazu-Tengu Power Armor

Tazu means "rice-field stork", by the way. So it's a stork bird demon. It's a light power armor designed mainly to fly at 350 MPH, and has no notable weapon systems, though it apparently carries grenades. Civilians can use it with the license, but the civilian versions are brightly colored to distinguish them from their military counterparts. Apparently well-to-do people like using it to travel around looking like birds. Though it's described as quiet, it has the same Prowl penalty most power armors get.

Kicks the poo poo out of normal tengu, to be sure.

IPA-62 "Super-Tengu"

Man, the Superman extended family just keeps getting weirder and weirder. :raise:

Actually, this is just the heavier military version of the Tazu-Tengu, and is slower but tougher, adds a small mini-missile launcher (free with each box of Mega-Cracker-Jacks™), also uses grenades, crummy wrist lasers, and... that's all. It's similar enough to the SAMAS but lacks a strong primary armament, requiring the user to lug a gun around. Bizarrely, this armor has a special bonus to save against "electricity and electro-magnetic energy" and reduces damage from it, and it has a reduced prowl penalty even though the Tazu-Tengu doesn't, with no justification at all. Just does.

Searchlight or monster lure?

IPA-70 Mizu Mi

Rifts World Book Eight: Japan posted:

Mizu Mi translated means "water serpent."

Actually, my Japanese is pretty bad, but even so, I think that actually means "water beauty" in a pretty mangled sense. Snake or serpent would be "hebi". "Mizu no mi" would be "Fruit of the water." Japanese! The internet made it easier, at least. "Mizu Ri" would at least mean "Missouri", so there's that. Not that it looks like a snake either, instead being an underwater power armor that's fairly tough but seems designed more for work than war, with a plasma cutter, vibro cutter, mini-torpedoes, and the worst blue-green laser. It also has magnetic pads to cling to metal objects and special underwater sensors. Mostly just a flavor or utility thing to have, you wouldn't really want to fight in it.

Next: Mighty Robots, Mighty Vehicles.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

wiegieman posted:

Romulans really filled the niche that the Klingons did in TOS (which is to be The Scheming Russians) since they started to go more into the Klingon warrior monoculture.

I'm okay with Romulans becoming the replacement old Klingons so that we could have Gowron and every episode involving Gowron (except maybe the last one).

And Star Trek: Klingon, possibly the greatest FMV game ever made.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

*I think they realized they were running into trouble because they brought the Romulans back in and they became TNG's fill-in badguys.

The event that brought the Romulans back coincidentally was caused by the Borg. It just didn't get addressed until after people forgot that thread due to the aforementioned strike. The Borg were also supposed to originally be insects too but that got abandoned because of budget reasons I think. I didn't know about the mind control slugs being related though.

I wonder if there's some sort of universal paradox that makes it so every generation of every species has a version of Kurtwood Smith or Jeffrey Combs running around.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

RandallODim posted:

I'm okay with Romulans becoming the replacement old Klingons so that we could have Gowron and every episode involving Gowron (except maybe the last one).

And Star Trek: Klingon, possibly the greatest FMV game ever made.

Or that great VHS game where you were yelled at about BEEEJ! COMMIT BEEJ!

Link:https://youtu.be/d9UkKBEfPkQ

See 6:23 for example

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 15, 2017

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
I cannot contribute anything to Star Trek chat. Sorry :(

Hunter: Tooth and Nail – Part Four: Crunch Part One, or; “My, What A Big Endowment You Have” Said The Actress To The Bishop

The next part of Tooth and Nail contains most of the actual mechanical stuff in the book. It has new Tactics, new Relics, and, like the other chapters of Mortal Remains, presents a simplified set of rules for creating your own Beasts and Heroes. But the first thing it contains is something that makes me realise I've been making a mistake in my discussion of this book this whole time, you guys.

It turns out that there aren't three Compacts in this book, as I'd thought, but two; Yuri's Group and the Reckoning. The Merrick Institute, stars of the last segment of my last entry in this review, are actually what Hunter calls a Conspiracy. In case you don't know NWoD/CoD's terminology, here's an explanation: Hunter: the Vigil was the first NWoD book to introduce a tiered organisational system to describe the scale on which supernatural organisations operate, one which later books in the line adopted. The system breaks all these organisations down into three tiers: tier one is operating on a purely local level – a suburb, a handful of city blocks, or a small town – like an individual cell of Hunters, pack of Werewolves, or coterie of Vampires; tier two is on a regional level, spanning a large city or wide geographic area, like a Consilium of Mages, a Freehold of Changelings, or a regional Hunter organisation like the Long Night. Tier three represents agencies and groups that operate on a national or global level (although global is sometimes its own tier in this system, tier four); most supernaturals aren't organised enough for this sort of scale, so there aren't that many examples other than Mage Orders and Ministries, massive Hunter Conspiracies, and possibly Vampire Covenants. Tier three groups are either extremely strong and influential in a given nation, have a truly global reach with bases and influence and agents all around the world, or both. In Hunter's terminology, tier one groups are cells, tier two groups are Compacts, and tier three groups are Conspiracies.

I needed to get all that out of the way so I can express my surprise at the Merrick Institute's status as a Conspiracy, not a Compact. Being a Conspiracy implies enormous reach and influence, spanning at least a large country or a region/group of smaller ones, and possibly extending, like the Malleus Maleficarum or the Cheiron Group, around the entire world. TMI... are not that. Their numbers are never stated but they don't come across as being all that high (I'd be surprised if we're meant to think there's more than fifty or sixty of them), they have no organisational structure, and while they stretch across a broad, undefined area of the United States, they have no great influence anywhere; no human agencies that unwittingly do their bidding, no quiet influence in any government departments, not even any real safe houses. If the book says they're a Conspiracy, they're a Conspiracy, but I get the feeling the authors only put them at that level because only Conspiracies get access to their own special powers, in the form of Endowments.

Endowments take as many forms as there are Conspiracies; they're not powers that come from a single source like Awakened Magic or Changeling Contracts, but various mystical or technological discoveries made and used exclusively by a given Conspiracy. Examples include the super-tech used by Task Force: Valkyrie, the alchemical elixirs of the Ascending Ones, or the Cheiron Group's supernatural organ implants. The Merrick Institute's Endowment is called “Dreamscape,” and it covers the powers that TMI operatives have to influence the dreaming world.

Dreamscape is three basic Merits from one to five dots in cost, and a few specialised Merits you can take when you've reached certain levels in those three basic Merits. The three basic ones are Dream Shield (it's Armour for the dream world, and some extra bonuses to resisting supernatural effects in dreams, going up with the amount of dots you invest in the Merit), Dream Sword (you can create an actual handheld melee weapon in dreams or project blasts like the Blast Numen; again, their damage rating goes up the more dots you have in this Merit), and Dream Shaping.

Dream Shaping is a lot like Spirit Influence; it gives one a certain amount of control over objects in the dream world, and the more dots you have in the Merit, the more you can do. The first-dot ability, Enhance, is basically the first-dot Influence ability, Strengthen. The two-dot ability is Deaden, which lets you do the opposite of Enhance (i.e. shrinking, weakening, or lessening things). Much like how you can't create new stuff with Enhance/Strengthen, you can't fully destroy anything with Deaden, only bring it down to almost nothing. The three-dot ability, Control, basically combines Manipulate and Control from the Influence list. The fourth-dot ability is Create, which is more-or-less the same as the spirit ability, and the five-dot ability is Destroy, which is like Deaden but you can go all the way and destroy an object or phenomenon in the dream world.

Dreamscape also gives access to seven derived Merits. They're all fairly simple in execution. Absorb and Fortify means you can siphon Durability/Structure from objects in the dream world and use them as temporary health boxes. Colossus means you can make really big objects with shaping. You've already seen Dreampushing; it means someone outside the dream world can manipulate things in dreams, although not terribly much. The book's guidance is “she cannot make physical attacks but has fine manipulation. Essentially, if it could be done with hands, but not arms, she can handle it.” You can also use your Dream Shaping from outside the dream world via this one, so it's clearly the best Merit. Regenerative Mind means you can regenerate Willpower spent specifically on Dreamscape abilities, and also do yourself bashing damage for more Willpower. Shielding Mind lets you confer your Dream Shield Merit on other people. Warp means you can use Dream Shaping as a reflexive action, and Wrack lets you use your Dream Sword to do damage to your opponent's Attributes.

There are also some dream-related Merits that any Hunter can take (possibly other characters as well). These are: Dream Avatar, a one-dot Merit you can buy as much as you like, which means you can add extra points to your attributes when you're in the dream world (cheap and very powerful if your campaign includes a lot of dream stuff; useless otherwise); Easy Out, Easy In, a four-dot Merit letting you spend a point of Willpower to reflexively leave a nightmare, or to quickly re-enter a nightmare you've left via the same method (seems like too high a cost to me for a Merit you then have to spend Willpower for every time you want to use it); Ephemeral Fetish, a dream memento of a real object now lost or destroyed, but once significant to the character, which can function as a very powerful protective object, weapon, and tool in dream space; and Dream Medic, a one-to-five-dot Merit which we covered earlier. It allows you to use real-world chemicals to heal dream damage or give a dreamer certain bonuses. I don't know how it's meant to work. Some of the bonuses make sense with certain drugs (giving someone a bunch of amphetamines probably would increase their Speed or Initiative in the dream world), but the healing bit is weird to me. Given that dream damage affects your physical body (still stupid to me), is someone using this Merit to heal dream damage patching up the wounds that appear on your real body when you take damage in dreams? And if that's so, why isn't this just a normal Medicine check? I'm aware there's no explanation needed as to the 'why' of what's happening, because this is a game about supernatural stuff and there doesn't need to be a rational explanation for everything, but some instructions on the 'what' and 'how' would be nice, because I can't even picture what's meant to be going on when this Merit is being used.

There are also a handful of new Endowments for other Conspiracies, specifically an Elixir for the Ascending Ones and three Relics for Aegis kai Doru. No weird organs for Cheiron, unfortunately :(

The Elixir, Drop of Dreams, is just the one mentioned in the Ascending Ones' writeup in Part Three, the one that lets them visit the realm of primordial dreams. Nothing too exciting. It's a two-dot potion. You drink it, fall unconscious for a bit, and visit whatever ill-defined part of the Astral the Beasts live in. Dramatic failures attract the attention of Beasts and allow them to enter your dreams.

The first Relic entry, Dream Relic, is an add-on to an existing item rather than a Relic in and of itself. It represents a Relic that has been destroyed in the physical world and now only exists in dreams, and having the Merit means that that Relic, or a manifestation of it, has attached itself to your character's dreaming self, and now appears with you whenever your character is in a dream. Whether multiple people can be bonded to the same Relic in this way, or if a character can have the dream version of a Relic that still exists, is never specified. The Relic gains the same benefits as an ephemeral fetish (from the same Merit, above), and is also easier to activate; the character can choose to activate it by taking dream damage, as well, rather than just spending Willpower. It's an extra two dots on top of the Relic's normal cost.

Finally passing out of the realm of dreams, Actual Relic Number One is Perseus' Mirrored Shield, for three dots. By buffing the mirror and spending Willpower, it becomes a mirror that the Hunter can use to look at monsters. Looking at a monster via the mirror makes the Hunter immune to any Dread Powers it has, so long as those powers specifically target the character; an Exceptional Success on the roll also allows the Hunter to see the true form of any monster in the mirror's reflection. A Dramatic Failure means the Hunter thinks the shield's powers are working even though they're not, and fighting a monster while looking at it via the shield gives penalties to all relevant combat actions. Not bad to be immune to any directed powers, but if a creature just has super-strength, can set fire to the entire room you're in, or can otherwise attack you indirectly with its powers, you're still hosed. Also not much use if the vampire pulls a gun on you.

Perseus was almost the Greek archetype of a good, selfless, pious hero, not self-aggrandising like Theseus, temperamental like Herakles, or sacrilegious like Bellerophon. Having him show up here means the writers are associating him with the capital-H Heroes of Beast, theoretically meant to be selfish amoral arseholes, in a way that makes me, a Classical Studies student, quietly seethe. Moving on.

The second Relic is Saint George's Sword, for five dots. It's a Roman sword, old and somewhat blunt. It has a damage rating of 1L, gives a -1 penalty to hit, and any Dramatic Failures when activating it or hitting with it cause it to break. The sword itself reforms in a small market about a month after it breaks, but explicitly nowhere near you, the chump who just broke it. On the bright side, activating it properly and hitting a monster with it causes the monster to take one lethal damage per turn, which can only be stopped by killing the sword's wielder. Exceptional Success on activating it also makes its damage rating worth a drat and gives it Armour Piercing to boot. Using it against a human while activated causes the bleeding wounds to appear on the wielder, though (and there are no instructions on how to make this bleeding stop), so use with caution and possibly not against cultists or mages. A neat trick indeed if you can get it to work, but given the possibility of it shattering or inflicting terrible wounds on you if mistakenly used on a human, I'm not sure it's worth the five-dot rating.

The book also comes with four new Tactics. The first is Damsel in Distress, in which the primary actor pretends to be a perfect victim for the monster to lure it into striking distance, then hits it hard and in its most vulnerable point while the other actors appear to distract it so he can get away afterwards. This one's clearly meant for literal-predator-type monsters like vampires and Beasts, although the book seems to think you should use it on Heroes as well by pretending to be “someone to be 'saved.'” There's a significant dice penalty if the monster hasn't been lulled into a sense of security by the target first, as “monsters instinctively do not trust their prey,” but a single Manipulation + Persuasion roll removes the whole penalty, so it's not a big deal.

If it works, the primary actor gets extra successes in his dice pool, and can use the Killing Blow rules against the monster on his first turn. If it doesn't, he loses his Defence and the monster basically gets a free round of combat against him.

Going to Groups is the signature Tactic of Yuri's Group, and like them it's one of the more interesting things in a not-very-interesting book. It's basically group therapy for monsters to help them control their urges to feed/kill.

The primary actor in this case is the monster, again a predatory type like a Beast or a vampire. Unlike with the previous Tactic, Heroes are not called out as an example of something on which the Tactic could be used, even though trying to help Heroes overcome their compulsions is kind of a big thing for Yuri's Group. There's no reason you couldn't use this Tactic on them, though.

So the primary actor talks out their feelings and struggles, and the supporting actors listen and offer whatever support the primary actor needs. This includes “substitute meals,” and I'm not sure if that means the group are bringing a live chicken to every meeting with a vampire or if they're offering their own wrists to drink from, but either way it seems a bit counterproductive. Maybe they're just bringing along a microwave dinner as an alternative to live human blood?

And then I woke up and I realised I was in a Beast supplement...

If the Tactic works, the primary actor loses the need to feed for about a week, and don't lose any Willpower/take any other ill effects for not feeding. She reduces any penalties that she might suffer for not feeding by 2, and can use the successes rolled when activating the Tactic for extra dice to resist the temptation to feed, on a one-for-one basis. However, if she gets down to one Willpower point, she takes a whopping -1 penalty to all her Physical Attributes, including derived traits. Also, she cannot kill, engage in brutality while feeding her hunger (if I'm reading it right, she can still feed, but presumably only consensually and in ways that don't cause harm, or perhaps just on animals), or regain Willpower through her Vice, or the effects end.

This process has to be repeated weekly, or else the primary actor will fall off the wagon. But if one goes on for long enough, she might be able to reduce or remove her hunger altogether:

quote:

With Storyteller discretion, this Tactic may result in a monster eventually shedding her hunger completely, and coming to terms with herself. This generally means she finds other sources of sustenance or can sustain herself on a minimal amount.

A hopeful note.

From a personal point of view; I have had one-on-one counselling (although never group therapy) often in the past for my fun, fun complex of depression, anxiety, and paranoia, and sometimes still have it now, and having the ability to talk out your problems with a willing and sympathetic ear really is great for keeping the demons at bay. None of what I have is really harmful to others, only myself, so it's not a one-to-one correlation, but I think that's probably one of the main reasons why I like the idea of this Tactic and Yuri's Group in general so much; the process of overcoming one's negative thoughts and impulses via social contact and the help and support of other human beings strikes a chord with me. Genuine life advice from an F&F review: if you're having mental health issues or harmful thoughts and impulses you can't deal with, chances are you're not alone, and it really does help to be able to reach out and talk to someone. It can be a counsellor, it can just be someone you know and trust. Personal note over, sorry for the digression.

I Need a Hero, the next Tactic, is the other thing that was discussed in Yuri's Group's writeup; goading a Beast into attacking with overwhelming force so as to draw a Hero into the fight. It's fairly self-explanatory; the actors draw the Beast into unleashing its full fury, and stay out of its way while it's raging, until a Hero can arrive to join the fight. It supposedly turns people who meet the requirements for Heroes, but are not yet Heroes, into Heroes. The Hero comes sooner or later depending on how densely peopled the area is. Fairly simple.

It's also apparently used by the Reckoning to create Heroes to kill. They think it draws Heroes, without realising that it actually turns people into them, so the Compact is creating its own victims. They're still very charming people, you see.

The last new Tactic is The Procedure. This one is how you get into the world of dreeeams, man, in the particular way that the Merrick Institute's hunters do it (i.e. with the primary actor entering the dream and the secondary actors monitoring the proceedings via computer from the outside), although Null Mysteriis and the Cheiron Group do it as well. The primary and secondary actors can assist each other in dealing with the dream world through their computer link, although teamwork actions are done at -2, as the two parties are seeing kind of different things; these teamwork actions can be taken by both the primary and secondary actors in the dream world, with either the primary actor doing stuff and the secondary actors pointing things out or assisting in minor ways via the Dreampushing Merit, or the secondary actors basically just telling the primary actor what to do and the primary actor doing it. The secondary actors can also pull the plug and yank the dreamer out of the dream world in an emergency. It's the puller's job from TMI's writeup last section, basically.

This Tactic can only be done with advanced equipment, like a fully-equipped lab or all the junk TMI regularly lug around. By the way, the writeup for the Tactic only says it can enter the primordial dream, the place where Beasts hang out, and not any other part of the Astral. So, as written, not useful for your Null Mysteriis group trying to explore the Temenos, sorry.

Incidentally, the “Organisations” section for this Tactic says that it's the signature Tactic, not of “the Merrick Institute,” but of “the Dream Warriors.” So I think TMI really was called the Dream Warriors in an early draft of this book, a name slightly less bland and considerably more cheesy. Also taken from a Nightmare on Elm Street sequel, I believe. Kind of sad they didn't use it; it's a way better name than what they ended up with.

Next time: Crunch part two – the rules for making Beasts and Heroes. Spoiler alert; Heroes kind of get the shaft.

The Sin of Onan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noLPhZvcBpw

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Holy poo poo. I guess it's canon that all Merrick Institute Hunters have ridiculous 80s glam rock hair now.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

quote:

Going to Groups is the signature Tactic of Yuri's Group, and like them it's one of the more interesting things in a not-very-interesting book. It's basically group therapy for monsters to help them control their urges to feed/kill.

Reminds me a bit of that Ugly Americans cartoon.

The Dream Warrior stuff has potential, but it doesn't need Beast. Great for scenes like 'roll to improvise a sensory deprivation tank'. And that Freddy movie is fun too.
'Merrick' in the context of sympathetic monsters makes me think of John Merrick, The Elephant Man.
I just finished reading Firestarter, and it goes into the nuts and bolts of a generic Secretive Government Psychic Lab. Lots of worrying about funding.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Original American SAMAS power armor, not appearing in this book.

Japanese SAMAS Power Armor

So, we get the return of :siren: Erin Tarn :siren: out of nowhere, but don't worry, she hasn't visited Japan. Instead, she's here to reveal in prose that the SAMAS (Strategic Assault Manned Armor System, we learn finally) suits were originally developed by the American Empire in concert with Armatech. Originally made for police and rescue, they were instead brought in by the military for further development. The Coalition seemingly rediscovered the designs, and then went on to add spikes and skulls as is their nature. Erin talks about seeing this at the Great Library of Chi-Town before it was burned down by the Federation of Magic... or was it? She speculates that it was likely looted and the books secreted away, and then burned by Karl Prosek's fledgling government, who then used the "attack" as a means to murder those associated with the library and seize its secrets for themselves. Oh, and eliminate thousands of learned individuals as "conspirators". She credits only a handful of surviving staff - including Plato as the former head librarian. Which is a little bizarre, because we know by now that Plato is an ancient dragon, which seems like a bit much for the human-dominated nation. Well, maybe he was shapeshifted 24/7 or something. Or Siembieda forgot. One of the two!

We get a lot of handwringing over the horrors of the Coalition that has nothing to do with Japan. Well, back to the land of the rising sun and falling moon.

I remember this coming out and being really disappointed that the Japanese SAMAS wasn't the MADOX-01, which Kevin Long basically ripped it off from a variant of the anime model from an old B-Club and added a skull head.

Also, when they eventually did decide to go back with Chaos Earth and depict the Golden Age before the Coming of the Rifts, the predecessor of the SAMAS, the Silver/Golden Eagle, looked nothing like that picture of the pre-Rifts SAMAS

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
*somewhere within the black tower where the Beast dev team is sealed*

"Okay, so what should be our Hunter conspiracy with global reach that act as antagonists for our monsters that feed on emotional and physical toture?"

"How about abused kids in wheelchairs?"

"....Perfect" :911:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The thing with the Merrick institute is that the institute itself is a national government organization devoted you torturing kids, the pcs are just the escapees of that. So it's a conspiracy in the "is literally a government conspiracy" sense but from a Hunter standpoint it might as well be a cell.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I remember this coming out and being really disappointed that the Japanese SAMAS wasn't the MADOX-01, which Kevin Long basically ripped it off from a variant of the anime model from an old B-Club and added a skull head.

Also, when they eventually did decide to go back with Chaos Earth and depict the Golden Age before the Coming of the Rifts, the predecessor of the SAMAS, the Silver/Golden Eagle, looked nothing like that picture of the pre-Rifts SAMAS

Yeah, I noted it wayyy back in my review of Triax & the NGR, but I didn't know of those variants, thanks! Likely the later artists of Rifts World Book 8: Japan didn't know about the swipe or were trying to avoid it. The Ulti-Max from Rifts Sourcebook is also reminiscent of the MADOX - I noted it felt like a swipe at the time of that review, l but didn't recognize what.

To be fair, Chaos Earth wasn't originally intended to be in continuity, which created some issues and contradictions when they decided to fold it back into the main Rifts universe. (Yes, folks, Rifts has alternate continuities, as if the main one wasn't enough of a mess.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer Fantasy: Night's Dark Masters

Actual rules? Not fluff? What is this madness.

Before we get to making your own bloodsucking abominations to either play as or throw at your players, there are a host of new vampire hunting classes for normal PCs (or to have come after a vampire PC). Now, the basic Vampire Hunter from the core book is a second tier (you can promote directly into it out of a basic career if you're a tomb robber or bounty hunter) class that focuses on endurance, stealth, investigation, and decisive assassination; fighting vampires straight up as a human is a really good way to get yourself killed. The classes in this book mostly follow the same model, focusing on investigation and stealth to get the upper hand on a vampire by finding its weaknesses. The two knightly careers, Black Guard of Morr and Knight of the Raven (which is a promotion for Black Guard) focus more on ranged weaponry than is common for a knight, because vampires lose a fair amount of their advantages at range and it's easier to make a silver bullet or arrowhead than a silver sword. There's also the Agent of the Shroud, an investigator and spy who focuses on the murder mystery aspect of hunting vampires; they can promote out of most academic careers or petty criminal careers and they focus much more on knowledge, stealth, and tracking than actually killing the thing themselves when they find it. Finally, they add in an optional replacement for Master Wizard for a 3rd wizarding career, the Magister Vigilant, part of an order of specialized mages who investigate rumors of necromancy and corruption among the colleges of magic to keep the witch hunters from having to get involved. There's also the Killer of the Dead, an incredibly skilled warrior and absolute nutjob of a 3rd tier career, with no further exits and requiring you to be half-mad to take it: These are people who have grown so successful and talented at killing vampires that the major bloodlines know their names. This leads to a paranoid, secluded life, with nothing left for them but the Hunt as they try to ash as many of the bastards as they can before the prey catches up to them. The Killer is one of the most powerful combat careers in the game, being able to raise its WS and BS by 35% over its base (Champion, the purest fighting career, gets +40) and giving tremendous physical stats, immunity to fear, tons of combat talents, and knowledge of their enemy. Just it's going to be the last career a PC takes, one way or another. A Killer of the Dead is the kind of PC who could directly take on a young vampire one on one, even a Blood Dragon, and probably win even without exploiting weaknesses.

We also get some basic rules for how to spot vampires using their lack of reflection without making yourself obvious (assuming your target turns out not to have a reflection), rules for how people with Magical Sense can pick out the dark magic flowing off the undead, how to force them to flinch (and recognize that they did so) with silver, holy items, or magic herbs, and how to do something ridiculously insane and cut yourself, scar yourself, and treat the wound with silver paste (hopefully without infection) so as to give yourself a magical injury that will ache in the presence of the undead. It also includes rules for silvering weapons, or making a wholly silver weapon (silver is not a good metal for swords, silver plate it instead. It will only last for d10+5 successful attacks, but it's better than the -10% WS of a Silver weapon and the chance of breaking the stupid thing). Getting your weapon blessed will let you do a lot of damage, and it might be easy to convince a priest to help you fight an abomination (or you might just pay them). If a vampire is vulnerable to silver, a silvered weapon that does at least one wound does 3 extra. ALL vampires take 3 extra wounds from any damaging hit from a blessed weapon, even if they don't have an especial weakness to holiness. Blessed weapons will always work. This means if you know your target is vulnerable to silver, a pair of blessed, silvered pistol rounds will do (assuming you're a good shot and have some shooting talents) d10+11, ignore 1 point of armor, and reroll damage once. If you manage to ambush a vamp with a pair of blessed pistols, he's in trouble; this is a good example of how their stats tend to look insurmountable but if a PC exploits their weaknesses and takes them by surprise, they can definitely be killed. Also note, again, if you have designs on being a Blood Dragon who fights Chaos Warriors for the fun of it: Chaos blessings work exactly as well on them as the blessings of kinder Gods.

Now, in general, WHFRP uses the same statlines and basic rules for every character, PC or NPC. Normally this is a huge mess in a game, but the stat system is simple enough that it works out fine for the bestiaries and general foes. Then, when you get a foe who needs to be a unique individual to hunt down and study, like a vampire, it works out especially well. Vampires can constructed completely, of course, but they can also be rolled in either a simplified, generalized style if you want a less important villain, or built from the ground up like a PC if you intend one to be around awhile. WHFRP loves having big charts you can roll on to generate something if you don't have a solid idea yet; you can roll for what bloodline (or lack of bloodline) your vamp will have, you can roll their stats, you can roll their career before they became a monster like a normal PC, etc etc. I've never really minded the existence of all this optional randomness. For one, it's made clear it's optional; if you already know your PCs are going to be up against a Von Carstein rake who is slumming it in the shadier parts of Nuln and playing serial killer, the book encourages you to just make that character. This exists if you're trying to give yourself an idea, or (despite their insistence) if you're making a bloodsucker as a PC.

This chapter also starts to illuminate why vampires are so goddamn hard to kill: Say you're making a basic Von Carstein with the simplified stats and rules, so one that won't bother with careers and being built from scratch. They roll 2d10 for each stat, but their bases are WS 60, BS 30, S 50, Agility 50, Toughness 50, Intelligence 30, Willpower 60, and Fellowship 40. With a base of 18-31 Wounds, 2 Attacks, magic, faster movement than an elf, and the possibility of special abilities called Blood Gifts. And that's a 'generic' one. An entire party that's decent at combat can probably defeat such an enemy, but fighting that kind of foe without a plan is ill advised.

If you decide to customize a character, you build the character as a normal human (rolling or deciding stats as you prefer) and assign their careers, though the book advises to be careful with giving too much experience to something you're already going to apply a very powerful template to. Then, you apply +10 WS, +0 BS, +10 Str, +15 Toughness, +15 Agility, +10 Willpower, and either +10 Fellowship if they're from a pass-for-human line or halving their fellowship if they're not. Then you add +6 Wounds, +1 Attacks, +1 Magic, and +2 Movement permanently, give them access to natural weapons, give them a bite they can use while grappled to drain enemy Strength and heal themselves, improve their senses, and let them see in the dark. You also reduce their Fate to 0, though; no vampiric character can ever use Fate Points. These bonuses are crazy good: Every Vampire basically gets the bonuses of a second tier fighting career added to their base stats, which means it doesn't count against the advance caps for their career. Next, there are several actual Vampire careers: A vamp needs these badly and a vampire PC will be juggling the desire to advance in human careers (they can always exit into a human career any of their past normal careers could enter) with the desire to get ahead in the vampire careers, because they reduce how often you need blood and provide more Blood Gifts. The initial career, Thrall, focuses on upgrading physical stats and makes a vampire only need to feed every Toughness Bonus days (so one with a Toughness of 50 would need to make a successful blood drain once per 5 days or start to suffer penalties and insanity from starving), rather than once per TB hours without any vampire careers. What skills and talents it requires varies wildly with your bloodline; a Lahmian is going to be stuck in Thrall for thousands of EXP as she masters every single aspect of art, tradecraft, politics, and science that the rigorous training that line requires brings, while a Dragon will be picking up plenty of fighting career talents and a variety of weaponry. Next, a Count gets plenty of general talents and skills, and is no longer segregated by Bloodline. Counts also require such trappings as a proper evil laugh and rampant megalomania. They also gain the ability to feed once per TB weeks. A Lord is incredibly powerful, to the point that the system would struggle with one as a PC, and they only need to feed once per TB months. Every one of these careers a vampire enters immediately gives them two Blood Gifts, one from their main bloodline and one from a line of their choice (which can be a second from their line). Most starting PCs or foes will at least start out entering the Thrall career.

Next Time: Blood Gifts, Weaknesses, and Going Crazy!

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 4, 2017

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I noted it wayyy back in my review of Triax & the NGR, but I didn't know of those variants, thanks! Likely the later artists of Rifts World Book 8: Japan didn't know about the swipe or were trying to avoid it. The Ulti-Max from Rifts Sourcebook is also reminiscent of the MADOX - I noted it felt like a swipe at the time of that review, l but didn't recognize what.

To be fair, Chaos Earth wasn't originally intended to be in continuity, which created some issues and contradictions when they decided to fold it back into the main Rifts universe. (Yes, folks, Rifts has alternate continuities, as if the main one wasn't enough of a mess.)

I just think it's funny that after several books of Kevin Long anime-rip mecha, the Japan ones are all very Westernized designs meant to 'look Japanese'.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I did it. I read the thread. Well, not very word because holy moly. But I am caught up.

So.

How about them beasts, huh? That sure is a thing there has been a lot of in this thread.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

occamsnailfile posted:

I just think it's funny that after several books of Kevin Long anime-rip mecha, the Japan ones are all very Westernized designs meant to 'look Japanese'.

Palladium will be flailing for a great mecha artist for ages after Long leaves (sorry, Breaux). Ramon Perez does really cool and exaggerated machines, but isn't until Chuck Walton that they'll have a definitive mecha artist that feels like a Kevin Long successor. Guy is a machine on the recent equipment books, it's just too bad the actual :words: don't nearly do his art justice.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Palladium: it's just bad :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Kurieg posted:

The thing with the Merrick institute is that the institute itself is a national government organization devoted you torturing kids, the pcs are just the escapees of that. So it's a conspiracy in the "is literally a government conspiracy" sense but from a Hunter standpoint it might as well be a cell.

Wait, the nWoD didn't have a government agency doing unethical psychic research on kids before? Or would you just use Cheiron Group or Project Valkyrie? It seems like something you'd need in the setting- see Mind's Eye (new low budget horror flick), Scanners, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Stranger Things, Firestarter, MK Ultra, etc.

oWoD, of course, had the Technocracy.