Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

The Duggler posted:

Lol if you aren't prefiring and randomly shooting walls at all times

This isn't a stealth game

fuze/capitao are probably my most played operators because belt fed machineguns moreso than clusterbombs/fire arrows

my aim isn't that great, i can pop headshots if i really try but for the most part i find that the main thing people forget to do in this game is use most of their bullets before the round is over.

one of my favorite defensive tactics is to just go off a floor above/below the objective and comepletely loving destroy the walls until i'm down to my last handful of shells or the attackers are moving in too closely. i swear this swiss cheese poo poo slows them down significantly more often than not and even makes them paranoid because of how effective kill holes can be in this game.

my pre-round setup with cav/smoke is generally running to an area like this and using every single shotgun shell this way since you only actually ever need the pistol/mac10 with dank leaf skins on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the challenge is all week, right? i want my heart skin but I'm not home today.

polka
May 10, 2007

Going up!
Yes, it's all week.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://giphy.com/gifs/linarf-l0HegPCCBdC2g2pVu

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjbubt_mnZQ

:toot:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://streamable.com/mabak

Hit detection is deffo hosed this patch.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 15, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's hosed every patch, Pinky.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

God drat this camera bug is frustrating,

Hard please tell me there is a fix coming down the line soon

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

The Duggler posted:

God drat this camera bug is frustrating,

Hard please tell me there is a fix coming down the line soon

Shouldn't take too long since they already fixed it a couple seasons ago! :v:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/8bWouEg.gifv

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Blackadder rides again

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/GXg3KPd.gifv

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

:bravo:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jesus Basticle, maybe you should just stop standing around so close to the objective room when you know Fuze is planting his gadget, huh? :v:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

not my gifs

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/z9yli
https://streamable.com/d42g7
https://streamable.com/ovw1x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqaTTnF4Biw

Basticle fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 16, 2017

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I got this game after the free weekend and just got placed into Gold 2. What rank do i have to get to to avoid the children? Since finishing my placement games today, i've had a game where 2 people left when they saw my account was level 30, a game where my team TKed me because i picked Fuze and apparently i shouldn't do that, and a game where my conceded because i was the last one alive and got lost on the map.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CJ posted:

I got this game after the free weekend and just got placed into Gold 2. What rank do i have to get to to avoid the children? Since finishing my placement games today, i've had a game where 2 people left when they saw my account was level 30, a game where my team TKed me because i picked Fuze and apparently i shouldn't do that, and a game where my conceded because i was the last one alive and got lost on the map.
Bad news, chief.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Hey Hard, I don't know if the uPlay dudes sit across the aisle in next bank of cubicles or are in Shanghai or whatever but tell those dudes to nix the cheap google two factor authentication and get something decent. I enabled it on a lark before I logged off a few nights ago. I Get back from vacation yesterday and uPlay couldn't get beyond the initializing phase. I thought maybe the For Honor roll out patch had gummed up the works or something so I spent the next several hours punching holes in my firewall, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and the uPlay client, and messing with my routers settings trying to get the connection to work. Then I remember what had changed :hurr:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Uplay dudes are in southern Sweden (maybe somewhere else too, but I saw them hiring there).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
My favorite thing about uPlay is how uPlay changes in the last four have made it so that Ghost Recon Future Soldier now crashes to desktop whenever anything happens with your friends list and GRFS has never been patched to deal with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snbd5d6475g

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 16, 2017

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

CJ posted:

Welcome! The community can be toxic sometimes like any other game but really it seems you only had a bad stroll. A lot of people are noob friendly but i'd suggest learning the game a bit more in casual. Also, play with goons.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Also Fuze is great, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

CJ posted:

If you're on PC then join the goon mumble or discord and you'll be able to play with cool dudes who love to shoot mans and will probably love you, too!

Sounds like you ran into an unusually bad string of dickheads, I would recommend staying out of ranked until you've actually learned the maps though, because while those guys absolutely were dickheads, on the other side of things, it is incredibly frustrating to have matches in the mode where people go to play things seriously get thrown because of players who can't help but be dead weight because they haven't yet put enough hours in that they know the maps well enough.

Goons will gladly play with you no matter how bad or new you may be though.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Also Fuze is great, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

@CJ Just don't plant your charge on wooden barricades when you're the only one making noise. Wait for some gun shots to cover the planting sound. Also plant your charges from above if you can and assume someone is roaming there just to counter you.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I just want to say that this season's ranked matches have been universally great for me. Very evenly matched and often go into overtime. I'm not sure if it's because matchmaking was improved or everyone's still adjusting to the new operators (I know it isn't because I'm playing better).

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Sometimes this game is just the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVU-Z9888no

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Basticle posted:

I just want to say that this season's ranked matches have been universally great for me. Very evenly matched and often go into overtime. I'm not sure if it's because matchmaking was improved or everyone's still adjusting to the new operators (I know it isn't because I'm playing better).

Agreed, especially in solo ranked. Almost everything is going up to 9 rounds unless one team quits out

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What is this, a video for Lal?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If anybody missed out on that sweet Newegg deal for the regular edition for $15 (and doesn't want to buy the starter edition, natch) PM me; I've got a couple extra. Sale is still running for the next 16 hours after this post though.

Seriously though we're hitting 3 full squads regularly in the Discord, getting a heap of new players.

(also I miss old Sledge, being able to do a full height sledge hole was great)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 16, 2017

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude

I like how in the game before that (I think) Apoc or you was telling me flashbangs were more useful than claymores. I've never successfully breached after flashbang throws--combined with my lack of skill (the claymore placement in that video was an afterthought on my part) they are effectively useless.

Also Hard fix the mic volume issues. I'd rather everybody sound like they are screaming in my ear (BAS already does anyway) than actually have to scream at my teammates to the chagrin of my neighbors.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medlar posted:

I like how in the game before that (I think) Apoc or you was telling me flashbangs were more useful than claymores. I've never successfully breached after flashbang throws--combined with my lack of skill (the claymore placement in that video was an afterthought on my part) they are effectively useless.

Also Hard fix the mic volume issues. I'd rather everybody sound like they are screaming in my ear (BAS already does anyway) than actually have to scream at my teammates to the chagrin of my neighbors.

The trouble with flashbangs is it's pretty easy to avoid getting blinded by them if you spot them (cooking them can help reduce the time they'll have to react but it still might land behind a desk or something), and there's no way to really tell that they've worked except that you don't immediately get shot to death when you charge into the room. It's a gamble but learning how to time them and getting the positioning right can help. You can also try deliberately drawing people to looking at them - roll one under a door barricade and then smack/shoot the barricade before it goes off and odds are good someone will try to shoot at you through the door and get blinded (of course this means they'll also be aiming right where you're going to come in when they get blinded so it's not a great strategy since they might just get lucky with blind spray and kill you anyway).

People also have a bad habit of waiting after flashing so that it's worn off by the time they breach. When you hear that bang you need to be in the room immediately.

I should also mention that I am absolutely terrible at this game so this advice is more of an "in theory" kind of thing than based on actual successful experience.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

lohli posted:

If you're on PC then join the goon mumble or discord and you'll be able to play with cool dudes who love to shoot mans and will probably love you, too!

Sounds like you ran into an unusually bad string of dickheads, I would recommend staying out of ranked until you've actually learned the maps though, because while those guys absolutely were dickheads, on the other side of things, it is incredibly frustrating to have matches in the mode where people go to play things seriously get thrown because of players who can't help but be dead weight because they haven't yet put enough hours in that they know the maps well enough.

Goons will gladly play with you no matter how bad or new you may be though.

I dunno, if you're at such a poo poo rank that someone who has played for 2 weeks is already at the same MMR as you, then you have bigger problems than your teammate not perfectly knowing the layout of the Bank map.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CJ posted:

I dunno, if you're at such a poo poo rank that someone who has played for 2 weeks is already at the same MMR as you, then you have bigger problems than your teammate not perfectly knowing the layout of the Bank map.

Gold 2 isn't a poo poo rank. It's the upper end of average.

http://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-gb/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:154-277344-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

There's also the issue of the game being about both traditional twitch shooter gameplay as well as game knowledge and situational awareness. Fundamentally your ability to click enemy mans is the most important thing, but that sort of glosses over those cases of people being completely lost and not knowing the map layout to the point where they don't know when or where to expect to shoot dudes or what sounds mean and how to react to certain operators and their gadgets or where the objective is or how to get inside to where the action is.

You can be better than the average player if you're better than average at clicking heads but you won't end up beating folks higher than gold on reaction time alone.

And another thing is the way placement matches work, those initial 10 matches can throw you anywhere from copper to plat, and getting lucky or unlucky with which team has the good and bad players for those games makes a much bigger difference than any other time. I'm pretty sure that if you're lucky/unlucky enough you can dunk on copper level players and end up in plat where you're outclassed or end up in copper because you bumped into plat/diamond teams when you actually belong somewhere in silver/gold as an average player.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://gfycat.com/LimpGreedyIrrawaddydolphin

:stare:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

But did you hold your breath before taking the shot? Maybe a drone bumped into your foot and added 0.000004% bullet deviation?

SMP
May 5, 2009

The venn diagram of people w/ Trump avs and names and people who love to call me a friend of the family is a circle :allears:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I never realised you can set challenges through the ubisoft club, I just assumed that was some subscription poo poo.

God daaaaaaaaaaaamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I never realised you can set challenges through the ubisoft club, I just assumed that was some subscription poo poo.

God daaaaaaaaaaaamn

You're missing a lot of charms and skins then, RIP

• Locked thread