Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
NextOrder chat: Brick walling in chapter one, Red Veggies can critically injure my ultimates. Power creep is still present. Having fun but I'd kill to be able to upgrade my gym right now. Lilymon and SilverTaomon kicking some rookie butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Kortel posted:

NextOrder chat: Brick walling in chapter one, Red Veggies can critically injure my ultimates. Power creep is still present. Having fun but I'd kill to be able to upgrade my gym right now. Lilymon and SilverTaomon kicking some rookie butt.

yeah, the "level" next to the enemy names don't seem to make any sense as far as a gauge goes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mateo360 posted:

2)Digimon don't die in battle. There is no life system in this one so battle with reckless abandon.

so what's the failure state if it's not the digimon dying?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Them dying outwith the battles?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ahqsn_digimon-adventure-tri-soshitsu-2-pv_shortfilms

New PV for Loss

It really seems that Gennai is being controlled by whatever Piedmon did to him. Not only Machinedramon is here, MetalSeadramon is back as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Source on that? I didn't see anything that alluded to the black ball. Was it something in the dialogue?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

Source on that? I didn't see anything that alluded to the black ball. Was it something in the dialogue?

Speculation from my side on the basis he seems to command MachineDramon and MetalSeadramon on that PV. Plus the way he reacts to TK is eerily reminicent of Piedmon

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mandatory lesbian posted:

so what's the failure state if it's not the digimon dying?

I don't think there is one :shrug:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

mateo360 posted:

I don't think there is one :shrug:

Trainer failure goes up if they poop themselves. Haven't seen anything else trigger it yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mateo360 posted:

yeah, the "level" next to the enemy names don't seem to make any sense as far as a gauge goes.

yea it feels like the 'level' is some stupid relative thing that crosses what stage they're in and all. Like, a level 20 black agumon is way more dangerous than those level whatever red veggiemon and then they're even more powerful than the similar leveled champion digimon around them so I have no idea what I'm supposed to go on with them

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I wonder if level is more like average stats totaled at 10000 per or something. So a level 1 only has around x amount of total stats under the level threshold. So a 20 could be 20k total state points.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Kortel posted:

Trainer failure goes up if they poop themselves. Haven't seen anything else trigger it yet.

I wouldn't call that a failure since it plays into digivolution requirements

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

mateo360 posted:

I wouldn't call that a failure since it plays into digivolution requirements

TF = Trainer Failure? Or is it Toilet Failure?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
this game sounds like a toilet failure

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
it's actually TM for Trainer Mistake

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposed spoilers for Loss from With the Will

quote:

The episode's first scene is a flashback of the original Chosen fighting the Dark Masters. Daigo and Maki are among them, and according to 2channers they look like they're in 5th grade. Maki is possessed by the Homeostasis. I don't know if all the info I have about them is from this scene, or if more comes from other parts of the episode.
The original Chosen's Partners are Megadramon, Triceramon, Orochimon, LoaderLeomon, Hippogriffomon. Megadramon is Maki's Partner and is the Bakumon fro the poster. The other four Partners evolved into the Four Holy Beasts, who lent their power to Megadramon, who became engulfed in light shot himself like a meteor to destroy the Dark Masters, and dies in the process. After that, Megadramon was became incapable of turning into a Digi-Egg.

I'm not sure if it's explicit who becomes in the Evolution into the FHB, because the people in 2ch posted it multiple times, and in a way that makes it seem like they're speculating, but it seems to be this:
*LoaderLeomon -> Baihumon
*Orochimon -> Qinglongmon
*Hippogriffomon -> Zhuqiaomon
*Triceramon -> Xuanwumon
I'm unsure because someone posted the same thing, but with Orochimon and Triceramon swapped, and seemed like they were making a question.

Sora saw the Mysterious Man, but thought he was Ken. That's apparently the only mention of 02.

The Mysterious Man is "Gen'nai, but not Gen'nai inside". The 2channer who posted this said they didn't understand it because the meaning is not explained. He said to Takeru that the reason for causing a reboot was to bring back Digimon who became incapable of being reborn. Maki cooperated with him because she wanted to see Bakumon again. However, Bakumon doesn't remember Maki.

The one planned the reboot was Yggdrasill. The Mysterious Man is either working for Yggdrasill or is Gen'nai possessed by Yggdrasill, if I interpreted correctly another post. Alphamon is on Yggdrasill's side, but Huckmon is siding with Homeostasis.

There are some people asking questions about the Royal Knights, but none of multiple mini summarie mention them. It seems like the RK as a group aren't mentioned ar all.

Mugendramon and MetalSeadramon don't speak. The fights are:
-MetalSeadramon vs. WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. Brave Tornado was the killing move.
-Mugendramon vs. Hououmon, HerakleKabuterimon, and Seraphimon. That's the battle Aniventure said was exaggerated. 2ch also said they completely beat Mugendramon.

They are the only Dark Masters in the movie and they don't speak. Seems like the Mysterious Man is controlling them, like he did with Imperialdramon.

Apparently, Meicoomon became Meicrackmon.

Someone also said it seems tri.'s plot is not good. We should prepare for the possibility that it's not as good as everyone expects it to be.

It's seriously a bunch of :psyduck: but given the way Tri has gone so far I doubt is false.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Finally got my copy of Next Order and while I haven't had a lot of time with it, I can say I'm pretty pleased with it. Is a worthy successor to the original DW, ironing out some of its kinks and adding some pretty new elements that enrich the entire experience.

Having two Digimons is really fun, but my favorite part of it is the fact they really sell you the impression they are actual, living animals. They will let you know when there are items and/or important things on the field, they interact with each other and all the animations really gives them a lot of personality.

Being someone whose favorite Digimon are from the anime and who loves the RK as whole, I have no issues with the smaller roster. CS was cool looking but was pretty much a Megaten re skin whereas Next Order is pure and unadulterated Digimon.

I can tell a lot of care went into tying this game with the original DW, from the remixes of the classic songs to the atmosphere of Floatia, everything is an awesome callback to those hours I spend with my PSX and my trusty Digimon so many years ago.

Oh and Mameo is loving awesome

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I went back to Appmon today, after falling five episodes behind. I still think it's good, but I'm bad at keeping up with it for some reason.

Globemon's appearance was great and it showed just how ridiculous Ultimate Appmons are. It makes me wonder just how insane God Appmons will be.

Also Karan Eri-sama is the best and the center of the universe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpysWAWWmzU

Here's Globemon's intro if anyone wants to see it.

NEARLY ONE BILLION ENEMIES IN 60 SECONDS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I like the monster designs of Appmon, or at least the more evolved Appmon (the sumo guy was the first one that really caught my eye, and Globemon looks neat too), but the kids having pretty simple backgrounds and motivations that don't go much further than "let's save the world like the narration said" is kind of dull compared to the kids of many previous seasons who had inner turmoil or some sort of issue that they had to overcome. I stopped when guy who DGAF appeared with his hacking buddy, and while the little faceless demon thing in a hoodie is much more up my alley than Gatchamon and Musimon, I just had lost interest several episodes ago.

I guess if one out of the four main protagonists appeals to me then it really isn't that bad, but I'm lazy with anime. I'm glad I watched what I did though just because I got that episode with that out-of-nowhere "I should make a symphony with my butt" scene.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In what way is Haru's motivation any lesser than "let's save the world because I fell into another dimension and an old guy told me to", "the same but I'm a lot like the guy right before me", and "I'm bored so I'm going to listen to this random voice on my phone telling me to get on a train"?

Hell, Astra is my least favorite character in the whole show, but his "being a successor to a traditional Japanese art is conflicting with what I want to do and it causes me to chafe against my family" deal is exactly what drove Sora.

Also you quit like literally immediately before they revealed a major character's personal stake in the conflict.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

In what way is Haru's motivation any lesser than "let's save the world because I fell into another dimension and an old guy told me to", "the same but I'm a lot like the guy right before me", and "I'm bored so I'm going to listen to this random voice on my phone telling me to get on a train"?

Hell, Astra is my least favorite character in the whole show, but his "being a successor to a traditional Japanese art is conflicting with what I want to do and it causes me to chafe against my family" deal is exactly what drove Sora.

Also you quit like literally immediately before they revealed a major character's personal stake in the conflict.

With Adventure, the characters are fairly interesting just in how they interact and how freaking gigantic the cast is with everyone having unique personalities.

The whole choice to save the world didn't come just because, and in fact they had started on that path before they ever even knew Genai was a thing. Initially they only got involved in big fights because they kept stumbling into them, not because they wanted to. Survival, not heroism.

None of them did what they did because some one told them to. By the time Leomon was sane and told them the prophesy, they were all pretty determined to take down Devimon no matter what. That's before you got into their character backstories and the like and what drove them as people.

Frontier on the other hand is a trash fire and really isn't very good. So you know not a lot there.

I can't speak for Appmon because I just cannot get into it to give it a chance. Just wanted to clear that up on Adventure, because Adventure's writing is its sole saving grace most of the time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The majority of the Adventure cast certainly found a personal stake in the conflict, whether just by growing attached to the Digital World and its people or by having their personal lives become drawn into it or whatever.

The point is it didn't start out that way.

Taichi is the definition of a standardized leader for roughly half the show. His themes are broad ones like "take care of your partner and don't push him too hard" and "have courage". He's the core of the show like Haru is and his role in the story of Adventure isn't personal until Hikari enters the picture. They are definitely comparable in terms of their role in the story at their equivalent points.

Appmon is like a third of the way through its story. Most Digimon stories are just starting to develop its cast as more complex people at this point, save for Tamers which was throwing out high concept science fiction and moral questions by episode bloody three or so.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just saying, the way you described what Adventure's cast was like was entirely wrong on every level. Even starting out, the adventure cast are fairly unique just because they're not out to save lives or be heroes. They're just trying to survive in a world that seems to really want them dead. That's where Tai being courageous matters. There are other more subtle things that inform his character as early as the second episode but that's neither here nor there- most notably his more lackadaisical style and go with the flow attitude. Sharing his food with Agumon instead of being smart and rationing it.

He's still an archetype more than not but he's a fairly well defined one especially given the cast size.

I cannot speak for or against Appmon, again. I can evaluate Adventure so well just because I was right in the strike zone of the target audience for when it came out and I'm sure I'd be friendlier to Appmon if the same applied there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think those things conflict with anything I was really saying, though - you took the point I was trying to make far too literally.

My point is that you can boil the likes of Taichi, Daisuke, Takuya, Taiki - heck, even Masaru and Takato very early on - into very broad statements just like Craptacular! did with saying the Appmon cast's "lol we have to save the world because a voice told us to" if you phrase it a certain way and judge a character that's had dozens of episodes to tell you about them verses one that's less finished. Adventure is a fine show but it took its time getting to go somewhere just like its successors did.

I like Taichi enough but. You're also kind of giving him too much credit early on. "Sharing his food with Agumon instead of rationing it" is typical "adventurous fun loving kid does something foolish that ends up working out anyway." It's very textbook - which is FINE. It's for kids and it's the beginning of the show.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 15, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

I understand, but I wish they could be a little less on-the-nose than framing taking initiative and being a leader as "being the main character", which to me felt a little lazy even if they were trying to be meta. And as there's only four characters, you have a lot less avenues to find someone you like and tolerate the others, which is kind of how Adventure worked. Honestly, just about every fan had that one character on the team they found annoying as hell, but watched it for the peoples they liked. They also had problems getting along with each other, which also drove the drama somewhat. I know Tamers had only three characters, so this is not pushing new ground, but I also have never watched Tamers so I can only tell you how I saw it.

I put Appmon in the the "good but not good enough" category where it was easy to drop it since out of all my hobbies I give anime the least amount of time, and fall behind every season. I mean I watched Adventure US because there wasn't entire seasons of anime being streamed in 1999, and now there is and this is sort of nostalgic but also not really my bag? At some point when the show's more or less completed and I know how many episodes to an arc it might be worth checking out again.

My only production complaint is the repeated henshin stuff where they spin around and smack their devices a bunch, it seems kinda long and sorta dopey (this would be the place for a cool song or something but instead mons shout their name until they become chipmunks), but my understanding was that US TV evolution sequences were cut down to make room for more commercials so it's possibly more my perspective.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 15, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i haven't seen app monsters but adventure was not some serious drama with deep moral choices, so i think i can give a pass to this anime if it's not exceedingly complex motivation wise

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's not the Appmon saying the names over and over, it's the device. And well. Loud electronics that say weird to cool things are "in" over there now.

Haru's whole "the protagonist" thing never struck me as too much given that I've seen plenty of anime where that's a given part of conversation whenever a particular character is doing something ("I'm not going to be a side character this time!" and poo poo like that) and... the fact it doesn't really come up nearly as much after the first episode.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

but I also have never watched Tamers

stopped reading here

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I don't understand how you could be the kind of person that posts in the Digimon thread on Something Awful and not have seen Tamers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It is on my list. We don't subscribe to Netflix etc as a regular service so I'm waiting for the correct moment to jump on and binge.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

It is on my list. We don't subscribe to Netflix etc as a regular service so I'm waiting for the correct moment to jump on and binge.

The correct moment is now, go find a way to watch Tamers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Emong posted:

I don't understand how you could be the kind of person that posts in the Digimon thread on Something Awful and not have seen Tamers.

I've never seen Tamers, Frontier or Xros War either :shrug:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Fuckin watch Tamers, dudes. Can't believe we've gotta have this discussion in 20 god drat 17.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've never seen Tamers, Frontier or Xros War either :shrug:

That's a bad thing for Tamers

Keep doing what you're doing otherwise.

Tamers is flat out the best series. I think I prefer Adventure, and especially how much more fun the villains are- but Tamers is just a good goddamn show. One that I think the dub is inherently superior to the original over.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Watch Tamers.

And Savers.

They're the height of digimon for me.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Tamers is the best Digimon series. Adventure 1 is the most fun. Not a big fan of Savers or Frontier. XRoss Wars was silly and Hunters was almost as bad as Adventure 2.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kortel posted:

Tamers is the best Digimon series. Adventure 1 is the most fun. Not a big fan of Savers or Frontier. XRoss Wars was silly and Hunters was almost as bad as Adventure 2.

My loving man

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Burkion posted:

That's a bad thing for Tamers

Keep doing what you're doing otherwise.

Tamers is flat out the best series. I think I prefer Adventure, and especially how much more fun the villains are- but Tamers is just a good goddamn show. One that I think the dub is inherently superior to the original over.

I don't know, the voice acting in the dub os just as good as the original, but I'm not a fan of quite a few of the script changes.

Can't really go wrong either way though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roth posted:

I don't know, the voice acting in the dub os just as good as the original, but I'm not a fan of quite a few of the script changes.

Can't really go wrong either way though.

I can never go against the dub because Steve Blum as Guilmon is a beautiful wonderful thing