Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

O_o..... I liked killing 10000000 orcs

There's still a ton of Orcs, they're more densely packed though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I thought I was dead facing a titan, had 2 hp left... but I read a tele scroll and made it out by chugging curing potions during the wait lol. Intense

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

dont sign your scrolls

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
level 27 with 3 runes in the abyss... I have every negative temporary mutation they can stick on me

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Aaaand dead. Unresistable damage ftl.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love reading crawl threads whenever they pop up because everyone sounds completely insane

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

I love reading crawl threads whenever they pop up because everyone sounds completely insane

Ever read this one? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718266

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Same

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

he cums on a drawing he made and then posts that he escaped the abyss

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I previously considered the guy who had dedicated his being to collecting burnt food in runescape to be the most powerful game alive. But now I see I was wrong

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

In the life span of our planet there have only been a small handful of world wonders. The galaxys great comets show us theiir beauty up close only every few centuries... So it is a miracle on par to the great acts of saints and sages throughout history that we live in a world where Chameleon Twist 2 is available to anybody with a nintendo 64 gaming console.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Intent+Ritual+Gnosis+Choice+Epic

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ristolaz posted:

I tried playing this again too. Everyone is pissed at all the changes but I cant tell the difference

its mostly the same but i'm sick of playing the game also, tbh. some of the new gods sound fun tho. i really liked the god of nothingness or whatever from a few versions back that was the last version i really played. used him to win a tournament random combo pick troll ice elementalist or something by sacraficing an arm and some literacy. but i gained the power to jump around AND shout at the vault 5 entrance, which made them all depressed and suicidal

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Garry Parrish posted:

Did they at least make it so there isn't a 90% chance of Saint Whatever and his motley crew of 200 Orc knights camping all 3 staircases.

saint roka was pretty rare in orc 4 my man

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my favorite part about orc is the loot is usually garbage and the exp is too! gently caress you! at least in elf 3 there's usually some good stuff and you get a poo poo load of exp for murkin elves

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lmfao

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
What's the proper way to play DCSS? I know there's webtiles or whatever, and you can download it, etc. Is there a definitive version or is it personal preference.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it doesn't matter. the tiles are fine and mostly look okay, and actually give u a bit more information than the terminal version, like a small minimap and some other stuff. i usually prefer to play online thru putty and ssh [the text version] tho because i know all the symbols already but i don't know what the tiles mean hehe. also webttiles is a little laggy sometimes in my experience, of course if u download it thats not a problem

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

mysterious loyall X posted:

it doesn't matter. the tiles are fine and mostly look okay, and actually give u a bit more information than the terminal version, like a small minimap and some other stuff. i usually prefer to play online thru putty and ssh [the text version] tho because i know all the symbols already but i don't know what the tiles mean hehe. also webttiles is a little laggy sometimes in my experience, of course if u download it thats not a problem

thank you

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

theres a cat race u can pick thats a magical cat and in the tiles version u can choose from a bunch of cat tiles to represent your cat. my lone cat win in version .10 or .9 a long time ago was with a cat that looked like garfield. SO tiles has that over the text version

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

doughvakiin posted:

What's the proper way to play DCSS? I know there's webtiles or whatever, and you can download it, etc. Is there a definitive version or is it personal preference.

Playing online lets you encounter player ghosts and also keeps stats of your games.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Player ghosts can be pretty dangerous, however.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh yeah always play online

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Player ghosts can be pretty dangerous, however.

they're all newb ghosts on d5 99% of the time, so if you get killed by it you are also a newb

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

There are a few people who go out of their way to make very strong ghosts on early floors.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

well consider it a gift if a ghost firestorms you on d7 then

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I do!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I wish cats left ghosts for every life so I could troll with tornado cat ghosts

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ghosts can't go up or down stairs, so use that to heal and kill the ghost for good XP.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Yeah generally the best plan around player ghosts is to get the gently caress out of there. Or banish them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Ghosts can't go up or down stairs

BUllshit dude.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

In Training posted:

BUllshit dude.

I'm not debating this poo poo again. Topic locked.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Can ghosts fall down trap holes?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

They fly so no, I think.

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*

So good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really need to play more of this game, it’s good but I’m incredibly bad at it and can never get more than a few levels in. I’ve been playing a lot of ToME but having to go through the same boring early dungeons every time is starting to p*ss me off so it’s time for a change.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Goodbye, ASSMAN.

2896514 ASSMAN the Conqueror (level 27, 199/199 HPs)
Began as a Demonspawn Fighter on Feb 17, 2017.
Was the Champion of Ru.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 5 runes!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really need to play more of this game, it’s good but I’m incredibly bad at it and can never get more than a few levels in. I’ve been playing a lot of ToME but having to go through the same boring early dungeons every time is starting to p*ss me off so it’s time for a change.

have you tried caves of qud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's a few simple things you can do to improve quickly, namely make sure you fight in areas that have been explored and kite enemies towards them when you discover them; use O for movement as that will stop you as soon as you find an enemy; use exclusions on dangerous enemies (I think the command is Shift+X, then move the cursor over them and press X) and that makes sure you won't wander into their line of sight by mistake; make sure you're manually training skills in the way someone said earlier (first main damage source, then survivability is a good rule of thumb); and if you're in a dangerous situation make sure you take all the time you need and consider all options and moves carefully.

Some races and classes are much easier than others as well - Hill Orc or Gargoyle Berserker is a good straightforward combination and has the benefit of starting with a god so you don't need to worry about choosing one later on.

e: I find the game's difficulty curve is strange in that most of the time it's pretty easy with sudden extreme spikes that can arise very unexpectedly.

Aston fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 17, 2017

• Locked thread