Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
who woujld even play mafaia?????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I don't know but Mega Man Mafia 2 needs 4~ or more players

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Asiina posted:

===================================================

:siren: Games currently needing players! :siren:

Note: I will try to keep this list up to date. Check back here if you are looking to join a game!

===================================================

Last I checked all games are full.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Guess I should open a game

what should the gimmick be?

maybe you can only post one word at a time?

and to vote two people have to coordinate

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Here's a list of gimmicks:

Reverse roles! - The cop sends a self investigation to their target. That is targeting someone just tells them that you are town. Bodyguard makes another player act as bodyguard for them. Etc. Only roles that can effectively be reversed are used, except for scum roles which are normal. Alternate name: Selfish mafia.

Loud Mafia! - Night action results are announced in thread at the start of the day. Quidnose was investigated as town. CCKeane was roleblocked. Scum roles may be obfustication, such as having an insane cop.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste and I are opening a game tomorrow.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm actually opening 20 games tomorrow.

1 player per game

Everyones a winner

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Infinitum posted:

I'm actually opening 20 games tomorrow.

1 player per game

Everyones a winner

Pre-sign me for all of em

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
If any of you asshats aren't signed up for FF4 yet,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810023&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Swallow your pride and :getin:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Actually I had a more real game idea a bit back

Open set up, Kill Jester

11 players

1 Jester
1 poisoner
1 cop [returns town or not town]
8 vt

Town gets two votes a day, the first is a jesterkill, it kills the jester, second vote is for the execution, if the jester is executed they win
The poisoner doesn't have a direct NK, they instead poison people. If the majority of the town players are poisoned at any point of the game, the poisoner wins, if the poisoner is targetted with the jesterkill, they get to poison two people that night
The cop returns town or not town, so you know
If the jester is poisoned, they die

Additional ideas?
If the jester is killed, the town gets two executions instead of one.
If the poisoner is killed, all poisoned town die. The jester is now susceptible to executions and there are no more night phases.

Things I'm unsure about :

The number of vts needed for balance
Should the two execution types be run parallel or consecutively
The cop might still be op there, maybe it also returns not town on poisoned town?

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 16, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pinterest Mom posted:

Tremendous Taste and I are opening a game tomorrow.

I hope it goes better than the last one you co-modded

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think we learned a lot from what worked last time around and we can make it even better.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I understand that there are a number of mafia options at this point in time.

Still, I must insist that you join Epsilon's mega man 2 mafia

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pander posted:

oh my god nothing has changed in four years
nope

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Amoeba102 posted:

First up is Your Personal Muse

What happened to YPM? He was the player who actually got me into playing more games with you fucks (he was scum in Sanborn Mafia and live-blogged his thoughts in the scumdoc which intrigued me enough to stick around).

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Transformers needs just 5 more hope to start tomorrow get hype

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Mafia Games needing more signups to open :siren:

AUSPOLFORMERS: THE MOVIE: THE GAME - SECOND STRIKE 16/21 Players
Gashapon Mafia 10/15+
[Mafia] Final Fantasy 4 Mafia 21/26
Mega Man Mafia 2 (M32) - The Siege Of Chateau Light 18/21

So fuckin sign up and play ya shits

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

What happened to YPM? He was the player who actually got me into playing more games with you fucks (he was scum in Sanborn Mafia and live-blogged his thoughts in the scumdoc which intrigued me enough to stick around).

I think he's busy with law school

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Jonathan Fisk posted:

what even is law school other than bickering over ultimately pointless trivia aka
mafia

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

Here's a list of gimmicks:

Reverse roles! - The cop sends a self investigation to their target. That is targeting someone just tells them that you are town.

I had this role once. It was weird.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isn't that role just called the Friendly Visitor/Towny or something?

I'm sure I've seen it before.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Unacceptable.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810023&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post469403094

Only need 3 more!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I know a lot of us create custom roles for role madness games, and I'm interested to see if anyone has a favorite role they created.

My favorite one is probably the recent ##CRASH ability I created for Katamari Mafia.

quote:

X times per game, you may ##CRASH into a player to kill that player, any player they targeted, and any player targeting them

I genuinely have a hard time creating scum roles that feel powerful and unique for role madness, but I think this one presents a strong power. At worst, it's an NK that kills one person. At best, it can create some cool situations where it hits a few people.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

quote:

The way these guys play basketball nowadays is just turrible. People are flippin' and floppin' all over the place and nobody has the balls to just take a decent hit once in awhile. Back when you played basketball - and you know you could still do it just fine - things was brutal. People were chargin' and fallin', people were gettin' injured but stayin' in the game because they had guts, y'know? But these people now are just plain turrible. You wanna show them all how it's done.

You are Sir Charles Barkley and you are a Town-Aligned Stud!

Role Type: Night Action
Submission: Via PM
You asked for it...CHAOS DUNK! At night, you can target somebody and CHAOS DUNK them. If successful, you will kill your target and anybody else they targeted that night. Your chance of succeeding depends on where you are on the basketball court. If you don't attempt this in a given night, you will move closer to the hoop by one level. Starting behind the three-point line (26.6% career average), you move to a field goal (54.1%), then a free throw (73.5%), then a dunk (100%). You get one success but as many attempts as you like.

As a Town-Aligned player, you win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Best mafia moment of all times imo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Host more games

also 4 more for gashapon mafia lots of gambling and posting guaranteed https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809823

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My favourite scum role is one I really want to be standard. It's from cat lady mafia and I called it Smokescreen.

You may target a player and obscure them from view. Any watchers watching them will see nobody visit. Any trackers tracking someone to them will see their target go nowhere. They will not know that their power has been disrupted.

As games are less likely to see cops and more likely to see multiple trackers and watchers, scum really need some more negative utility other than roleblocker and maybe framer? This is like ninja+ or a reverse ninja. I like that it's also far more likely to cause confusion in town because if you track somebody nowhere you won't usually talk about it, and if they get caught later on claiming to have gone somewhere then that's an unusual situation too.

Steal this role, I like it a lot.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

My favourite scum role is one I really want to be standard. It's from cat lady mafia and I called it Smokescreen.

You may target a player and obscure them from view. Any watchers watching them will see nobody visit. Any trackers tracking someone to them will see their target go nowhere. They will not know that their power has been disrupted.

As games are less likely to see cops and more likely to see multiple trackers and watchers, scum really need some more negative utility other than roleblocker and maybe framer? This is like ninja+ or a reverse ninja. I like that it's also far more likely to cause confusion in town because if you track somebody nowhere you won't usually talk about it, and if they get caught later on claiming to have gone somewhere then that's an unusual situation too.

Steal this role, I like it a lot.

I like this a lot. Also I hadn't thought about how far we had strayed from games with cops.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I like this a lot. Also I hadn't thought about how far we had strayed from games with cops.

Cops stifle conversation rather than driving it, as a rule. Also, great role!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Needs more Brutal Paranoid Janitor Cops who only know that they are Brutal Cops. Get scum returns on everybody, and everybody dies in the same night with the flip hidden.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I made Diqnol a vig who when he killed town became a standard brutal cop and when he killed scum became a paranoid brutal cop and that seemed fun.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Cops stifle conversation rather than driving it, as a rule. Also, great role!

I try to eliminate cops from my setups in favour of multiple trackers. They're more fun to play, they give scum a better chance to argue against them, and just overall make the game more interesting. The issue of course is that when 3 trackers is about equal to one cop then a single target roleblocker is comparatively much weaker. You can give scum multiple roleblockers but if there's only 3 scum you don't want that to be the only thing they can do. Also getting roleblocked isn't particularly interesting either. If it gets to the point where trackers/watchers start coordinating you need an AOE type ability.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think cops can be really interesting but only when they are non-standard/have a drawback for picking the wrong target. A standard cop is very predictable. If cop claim, scum will do what they have to to kill the cop. If there are other power roles (watcher, doc) they will do what they can to protect the cop. Game becomes follow the cop and boring. If, however, a cop cops a townie and has something/suboptimal happen to them, it becomes a much more thought provoking role for the person playing them. I might play around with the idea of cop variants soon.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Kashuno posted:

I know a lot of us create custom roles for role madness games, and I'm interested to see if anyone has a favorite role they created.

I have a few:

The Javelin - Hunger Games
This game had an item system that allowed people to get random powers. The Javelin was a weapon that would kill your target and then pass through them and had a 75% chance of killing each person who targeted your target that night. If I remember correctly, it ended up comboing with a lightning rod and killing like three people in one shot.

The Bride/Buffy Summers - The League I/II/III

Each role in the League had two powers. The Bride's allowed her to guard herself from kills from a player of her choosing each night and, if they do kill her, she could resurrect on a day of her choosing within the next two. Her other power allowed her to find out who killed her target if they died instead of killing her that night. It was a very powerful role that would only work in very specific circumstances.

Forrest Gump - The League

Most of my games are flavor-heavy to the point of being pedantic. I also normally give night action flavor to each individual. Gump's power allowed him to cameo in the flavor of whoever they chose. It was useless, but really funny.

Bill & Ted/Jay & Silent Bob - The League II/III

These were confirmed masonry lovers who also shared very powerful abilities. Bill & Ted could speak to the dead and Jay & Silent Bob could ask the mod questions about the game. I like the idea of confirmed masons sharing a power.

Carrie White - The League II/III

Had the ability to reset the vote count once every two days. A very tactical town power that could be used to save yourself or save others, though with the threat of a no-lynch looming.

There's more I liked, but those come to mind.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I like naive cops a lot.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kashuno posted:

I think cops can be really interesting but only when they are non-standard/have a drawback for picking the wrong target. A standard cop is very predictable. If cop claim, scum will do what they have to to kill the cop. If there are other power roles (watcher, doc) they will do what they can to protect the cop. Game becomes follow the cop and boring. If, however, a cop cops a townie and has something/suboptimal happen to them, it becomes a much more thought provoking role for the person playing them. I might play around with the idea of cop variants soon.

Check out Shield mafia in the archives.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

EccoRaven posted:

I like naive cops a lot.

We know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still really like the Enforcer role I stole from Shark, which is the Cop/RB version of Jailer's Doc/RB