Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

New rule may be in place for round 1.

Just the kind of headline you want to see from a billion dollar league one month and change before the start of the season.

The rule in question is replacing the rushed behind penalty of a free kick on the goal line with a ball up 14 metres out(a marker will be painted). This will be trialled in the first two rounds of practice games, before inexplicably returning to a free kick for the final ones.

Speaking of distances, players have GPS technology which is metre accurate. Why the gently caress do umpires not have a button on the side of their whistle which communicates with their GPS tracker, which then beeps when the umpire has moved 50 metres?

That's probably a good change. The last thing we want is for games to be decided due to a bad deliberate rushed call (of which I'm sure there will be many). But surely the AFL could have predicted that such a change was necessary when they decided to change the rushed behind rule. To me it indicates just how little the AFL thinks about the implications of the rules they change before they change them.

The umpires should be professional enough to know how many strides it takes them to cover ~50m. Oh, did I say professional? Nevermind. We can't possibly expect a bunch of amateurs to master something so complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
But why should they have to devote any brain space to measuring distance when they're already carrying technology that can do it for them with accuracy?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

But why should they have to devote any brain space to measuring distance when they're already carrying technology that can do it for them with accuracy?

I'm sure they could do it, but what about the AFL gives you confidence that they wouldn't gently caress it up in the most stupid way possible?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

snaeksikn posted:

Fyfe still hasn't signed, so there's still an incredibly slim chance he could be dislodged from Freo

That said I reckon they will announce a new deal within the first month of the season if not sooner

I think (hope) once the new players agreement is put in place that he'll sign up, at least he's making the right noises at interviews about being excited about the next 4 or 5 years :shrug:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/afl/...508daac5e518ca6

what a world we live in

snaeksikn posted:

Fyfe still hasn't signed, so there's still an incredibly slim chance he could be dislodged from Freo

That said I reckon they will announce a new deal within the first month of the season if not sooner

Teams generally don't name an OOC free agent as captain unless they're really confident that said free agent will stick around

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pretty ballsy to bet on anyone other than Tyrone imo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mike Fitzpatrick has retired from the AFL Commission

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Was passing near Princes Park around lunchtime and I decided to go in and buy a shirt I saw at the shop there before the game on Saturday. Walking out I bumped into Lauren Arnell who was heading inside. I said hi and told her well done on the weekend. :3:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Saw this on instagram last and thought it was pretty swell

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Playing for the Dees seems like more of a nightmare than a dream tho

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Chairchucker posted:

Came to post this.

Testekill posted:

http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/afl/...508daac5e518ca6

what a world we live in

Teams generally don't name an OOC free agent as captain unless they're really confident that said free agent will stick around

Few clubs are as poorly run as Freo so who knows?

Nutsngum fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 15, 2017

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Nutsngum posted:

Few clubs are as poorly run as Freo so how knows?

Could easily be seen as a cost in part of keeping him "at all costs" to management. "We've done everything right by you Mr Dude, now please, pretty please sign.."

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Chairchucker posted:

the @carltondraft_ instagram shop has a sense of humour about the rest of footy, this is oddly enough one of their only serious designs

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I ended up down the youtube rabbit hole tonight due to procrastination. Was watching some American reactions to AFL and in one video they showed Hodge's goal post decapitation attempt and seemed the main reaction is Hodge should never play again and couldn't believe he was protesting innocence. Americans are dealing with Trump but they still know true evil when they see it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Time to let that one go friend

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

I ended up down the youtube rabbit hole tonight due to procrastination. Was watching some American reactions to AFL and in one video they showed Hodge's goal post decapitation attempt and seemed the main reaction is Hodge should never play again and couldn't believe he was protesting innocence. Americans are dealing with Trump but they still know true evil when they see it.

The don't know a good bloke when they see one because they don't even know what a bloke is.

He's a poo poo bloke

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That was a fake goalpost

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There was a second goodbloke on the northern mound

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

realbez posted:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Volkerball posted:

The don't know a good bloke when they see one because they don't even know what a bloke is.

Alternative good bloke

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

"The only thing im letting go of.... is an orphan clutched precariously above an open mine shaft." - Luke Hodge, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thepokey posted:

your average bout of jumper-punching would be the season's worst fight in American baseball, football, soccer, or basketball. we've legislated rough play or any kind of reaction out of sports, and it's all happened in the last 20 years - go see highlights of basketball in the 1970s or 80s and you'll see the difference.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

the @carltondraft_ instagram shop has a sense of humour about the rest of footy, this is oddly enough one of their only serious designs

They're making a big deal out of supporting AFLW which is interesting because they regularly run questionable jokes on their FB.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Football tonight! :toot:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
the gently caress is the JLT community series

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No clue but we're getting 3 back to back games on Saturday. GWS v Freo at noon, Lions v Pies at 3:30, Dogs v Dees on Ch7 at 7:30. All for premiership points with no silly rules like the nabcup.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
does anyone know if we are getting FTA pre season (in Brisbane)? i wanna watch tonight but i get paid on Monday and would rather not pay the live pass sub fee til after that comes in

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Is tonight's game streamed by AFL like last year/women's games?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

harperdc posted:

your average bout of jumper-punching would be the season's worst fight in American baseball, football, soccer, or basketball. we've legislated rough play or any kind of reaction out of sports, and it's all happened in the last 20 years - go see highlights of basketball in the 1970s or 80s and you'll see the difference.

The Malace at the Palace was pretty wild.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

harperdc posted:

At least ice hockey is still cool.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rough picked yessss

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Anyone know what the deal is with the Telstra AFL season pass thing I get for free for being a Telstra customer? Does that let me stream games?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the Telstra AFL season pass thing I get for free for being a Telstra customer? Does that let me stream games?

I think so, but I haven't tried, because my plan last season was 1gb a month. I used it to see the advanced stats though.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Yes, you can stream games all year on your phone or tablet, but not a computer. I think if you have android you can cast it to a TV but it won't look great on a big screen. And the data is unmetered as a Telstra customer.*

*provided you stream it from your mobile connection or your internet is also with Telstra.

realbez fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 16, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

realbez posted:

Yes, you can stream games all year on your phone or tablet, but not a computer. I think if you have android you can cast it to a TV but it won't look great on a big screen. And the data is unmetered as a Telstra customer.*

*provided you stream it from your mobile connection or your internet is also with Telstra.

gently caress, I was hoping to get it on the computer. Who thought making people squint at a little phone screen for 4 quarters of footy would be a good idea?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

gently caress, I was hoping to get it on the computer. Who thought making people squint at a little phone screen for 4 quarters of footy would be a good idea?

Foxtel and their TV deal. The unmetered thing is only actually on mobile data I think, not any telstra connection.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

realbez posted:

Foxtel and their TV deal.

That'd be right. I wonder if AFLDude will be back this season

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The new WatchAFL site is really swish. And the ability to watch the foxfooty channel when a games not on :getin:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The new WatchAFL site is really swish. And the ability to watch the foxfooty channel when a games not on :getin:

slow motion fast slow motion fast slow motion fast regardless of bitrate at the moment

at least the sound is playing at a constant speed. It was working beautifully half an hour ago, but I guess more people are logged on now and it is under a bit more strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
'arguably the best under 21 player in the competition' welcome back to footy!!!!

• Locked thread