Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

«Я, агент иностранной разведки, Джон Кайф. Родился по заданию ЦРУ. В совершенстве владею четырнадцатью языками, телепатией, йогой и каратэ, нанайской борьбой, дзю-до и дзю-после, умею соблазнять женщин на расстоянии, фотографирую левым глазом, в правом проявляю микропленки, плевками сбиваю вертолеты и тушу пожары, стреляю из любой пуговицы, причем из всех четырех дырочек сразу, усилием воли могу вызывать землетрясения, цунами и такси.

Меня 16 раз расстреливали, 32 раза топили в Атлантическом океане. Я выкрал 5 резидентов, 11 президентов, загрыз насмерть 47 пограничных собак. Наставил рога тридцати трем шахам с их гаремами.

Но вот год назад я получил свое главное и, к сожалению, последнее задание – незаметно проникнуть на территорию вашей страны, пересесть на трамвай и, устроившись под видом молодого специалиста, выведать, сколько человек работает в научно-исследовательском институте ВТОРСЫРЧЕРМЕТБРЕДБРАКМРАКСНАБСТЫДСБЫТ3АГРАНПОСТАВКА и что они выпускают.
A true classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

woodenchicken posted:

A true classic

Nope, rather. Close enough, though.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

visiting my grandma, and just noticed that she has carpet icon on the wall

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love St. Carpet who died lying down on the stone floor of a church to keep the feet of believers warm during mass.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I love St. Carpet who died lying down on the stone floor of a church to keep the feet of believers warm during mass.
the other way around, gigantic icon woven into a carpet

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the other way around, gigantic icon woven into a carpet

Those are amazing and you will not speak ill of the carpet icon. If for no reason than IT WILL KNOW

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Carpet on the floor?!?!?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Carpet on the floor?!?!?

My carpet was on the floor and I spilled beer on it, such is the price of deviation from the ways of my people.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Thank you whoever posted the rug photo link pages ago, now I can go back to my slav roots!

Also this was posted a while ago too:

I just caught a few episodes and it's not terrible! Maybe somebody explained it, tl;dr is that it's a comedy show about an american CIA agent sent to infiltrate a Gazprom office in Siberia. The first episode is basically a crash course and might be pretty funny even if you don't understand Russian and just skip over the talky bits: http://seasonvar.ru/serial-15173-Adaptatciya.html

So this is just some Russian clone of The American's but reversed?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

My carpet was on the floor and I spilled beer on it, such is the price of deviation from the ways of my people.

The great potato in the sky frowns upon you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my grandpa dropped by for some tea this morning, and told me about a hit and run accident he saw at the farmer's market, where an old guy did hit a car's door with his wagon, started ranting about loving cars everywhere and rode off :laffo:

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

My great-grandfather really hated the new stupid fad, a car, until the bitter end when he was killed by one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The more I learn about my Polish grandma the more I understand why we didn't visit often.
For example, she had every tooth pulled and wore dentures... since she was 20.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

peanut posted:

The more I learn about my Polish grandma the more I understand why we didn't visit often.

She's not alone

http://qi.com/infocloud/false-teeth

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

peanut posted:

That was common for working class people in Western European countries until WW2 or so. They would remove their teeth to avoid latter complications due to decay.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

peanut posted:

Military folklore says that they changed the recipe for the dried ryebread (crispbread) in the Finnish Army at one point (after WW2) because it caused too many dental problems by being too hard to eat with bad teeth.

The original recipe was more or less nicknamed "Anti-tank bread".

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I remember my grandmother telling me stories of when they first got telephones in their area. Back then it was all switchboard operated, which meant you called the operator and asked them to manually connect the phone lines of the two homes together so they could talk. One of the many downsides to this was that it was very easy for the switchboard operator to listen in to everyone's phone calls if it was a small enough town.

In my grandmother's case, the operator was an old Ukrainian woman who had wooden teeth. So often when they were talking she said they could hear a clicking noise in the background, which was the sound of the operators teeth tapping together as she was listening in on their conversation.

So eventually when people caught on and heard the noise, they would shout over the phone, "Lilly! We can hear your teeth rattling! Quit being a snoopy bitch!" and then the line would go quiet again and they could have a private call.

I don't know why, but picturing that always makes me laugh.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Letter "R" not reversed?!? How could a show about Russians gently caress it up so badly?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WukPAFHYE80

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
just watched the first john wick recently and quite impressed by the amount of effort they put into the russian, although the accents of course were atrocious

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

I thought the pilot was going to ask for a push, but no... He asked for directions.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/yebenya/status/831366364275306496/photo/1

Vakal posted:

I remember my grandmother telling me stories of when they first got telephones in their area. Back then it was all switchboard operated, which meant you called the operator and asked them to manually connect the phone lines of the two homes together so they could talk. One of the many downsides to this was that it was very easy for the switchboard operator to listen in to everyone's phone calls if it was a small enough town.

In my grandmother's case, the operator was an old Ukrainian woman who had wooden teeth. So often when they were talking she said they could hear a clicking noise in the background, which was the sound of the operators teeth tapping together as she was listening in on their conversation.

So eventually when people caught on and heard the noise, they would shout over the phone, "Lilly! We can hear your teeth rattling! Quit being a snoopy bitch!" and then the line would go quiet again and they could have a private call.

I don't know why, but picturing that always makes me laugh.

haha

a common tactic was to tell a dirty joke and listen for laughter or gasps

lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember this level in half life 2

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lancemantis posted:

So this is just some Russian clone of The American's but reversed?

Not at all, but if you want a Russian clone of an American show, check this out: https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/1194817123093/married-with-children-in-russia.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl vakal

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/EnglishRussia1/status/831938078738612225

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

russian posters may call me out, but i really think the cat is just saying "ouch"

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

What a silly noise for such a majestic animal.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

just watched the first john wick recently and quite impressed by the amount of effort they put into the russian, although the accents of course were atrocious

I re-watched it just last week and everything russian-related was silly. Especially the "translation" subtitles that aren't even close to what the people are saying. Banshee made a much better job with their ukranian mafia and more creatively too.

:D

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

A Pale Horse posted:

What a silly noise for such a majestic animal.

Sound of retching - when you're trying to throw up but there's nothing left.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Why is it that even the snow leopards sound like professional drunks?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

chinese restaurant in my hometown

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

chinese restaurant in my hometown

lmao they got the cheap knockoff spirit alright

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Has the power of at least 900 gopniks.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I re-watched it just last week and everything russian-related was silly. Especially the "translation" subtitles that aren't even close to what the people are saying. Banshee made a much better job with their ukranian mafia and more creatively too.

:D

yeah but it's a silly action movie that doesn't pretend to be anything else so the fact that they even bothered to hire a russian consultant to write the lines and teach the actors how to speak them is commendable

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sounds like the noise my cat makes when she has a bath

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

mobby_6kl posted:

Not at all, but if you want a Russian clone of an American show, check this out: https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/1194817123093/married-with-children-in-russia.html

Let's not forget It's Always Sunny in Moscow. Has anybody here watched it? I've seen some clips on youtube and it doesn't appear they captured the spirit of the show.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

yeah but it's a silly action movie that doesn't pretend to be anything else so the fact that they even bothered to hire a russian consultant to write the lines and teach the actors how to speak them is commendable

Banshee is even more ridiculous, it has Amish mafia. It might not be noticable to English speaker but Hollywood really upped the quality of all things EE lately. No more НИСLEAЯ ЯEAKTOЯ, KΣΣP OИT! That's why I was a bit dissapointed with how John Wick done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Watch the Americans. They put so little effort into the show that Colonel Zhukov has his shoulder boards on backwards in one scene, plus literally all of his medals were issued years after the scene takes place.

• Locked thread