Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Huh, well I'll be.
Didn't he have a girl's voice in the cartoon?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Inzombiac posted:

Huh, well I'll be.
Didn't he have a girl's voice in the cartoon?

Eh, that's just cartoon voice acting. You usually use adult women for characters that are supposed to be young boys because adult women can work real hours and don't sound like scripted child actors. Now the trend is more towards just using adult men with high registers and not giving a gently caress that they don't really sound like 11 year old boys because it turns out actual 11 year olds don't really care that much. There's some notable exceptions, Arthur has usually been voiced by a kid, but it's been several kids, the same goes with DW although she has been voiced entirely by boys. Ash from Pokemon was originally voiced by a young girl who is still voicing him and is almost 30 now etc etc.

The worst by far is Medabots. It's worth looking up a clip somewhere if you can, the person voicing the main character sounds like a middle aged diner waitress who has been smoking since the womb and the school bully character is even worse.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I remember watching Recess as a kid and getting weirded out by the sudden change in a couple of the boys' voices. Turns out their voice actors had been replaced when puberty kicked in. :v:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ash from Pokemon was originally voiced by a young girl who is still voicing him and is almost 30 now etc etc.

Veronica Taylor is 51 years old. When she started voicing Ash she would've been ~31 :confused:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

poptart_fairy posted:

I remember watching Recess as a kid and getting weirded out by the sudden change in a couple of the boys' voices. Turns out their voice actors had been replaced when puberty kicked in. :v:

A similar thing happened on Hey Arnold. Gerald's voice change was worked into the actual script, but Arnold's voice actor changed 4 times with no in-show acknowledgement. To be fair, I think most of us as kids didn't notice it unless someone else pointed it out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

FELD1 posted:

When she started voicing Ash she would've been ~31

Lol if you're on this forum and don't consider 31 to be the real age for 'young adult'

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mega Man Legends had really great voice acting, particularly compared to the shitshows in Mega Man 8 and X4. Mega Man himself was actually voiced by a guy who acted like he was voicing a teenager instead of an 8 year old with progeria and it was a huge step forward.

Then in MML2 they replaced Mega Man's voice actor with some chick from Sailor Moon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

A similar thing happened on Hey Arnold. Gerald's voice change was worked into the actual script, but Arnold's voice actor changed 4 times with no in-show acknowledgement. To be fair, I think most of us as kids didn't notice it unless someone else pointed it out.

I remember Nick making a big deal out of Hey Arnold having a voice cast of kids. They were constantly talking that up in commercials before it premiered.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sweeperbravo posted:

ON MOONLIGHT BAAAAAY

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We din't have a tv channel that played hey Arnold when I was a kid but sometimes if you climbed the tree outback you could see it through the neighbour's window.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

sweeperbravo posted:

I marathoned Hey Arnold on netflix a few years back and I don't think I noticed any voice changes either. Admittedly I wasn't paying super close attention but still.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Nermal is a boy cat. :aaa:

I guess I've never seen a strip with Nermal in it in English so I had no way of knowing this :tipshat:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought Nermal was a girl but I only watched the cartoon as a kid and didn't read the comic strip

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Orson's female though, right?

e: According to the Garfield Wiki, Orson is indeed not female. :prepop:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

you are just having your world rocked today as regards the Davis-verse

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jerry Cotton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN7LQNDkobA
You better call this number, for Garfield.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In my headcanon Nermal is nonbinary gray ace/demiromantic (they/them)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nermal is necrogender

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

sweeperbravo posted:

On this subject, Goku's original voice is real weird because it didn't change going from Dragonball to Dragonball Z. Adult Goku in Japan still sounds like a squeaky kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz39GUm12WY

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But adult goku is just a child in a larger body, i fail to see the problem

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

food court bailiff posted:

Mega Man Legends had really great voice acting, particularly compared to the shitshows in Mega Man 8 and X4. Mega Man himself was actually voiced by a guy who acted like he was voicing a teenager instead of an 8 year old with progeria and it was a huge step forward.

Then in MML2 they replaced Mega Man's voice actor with some chick from Sailor Moon.

Burn to the ground

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mister Olympus posted:

On this subject, Goku's original voice is real weird because it didn't change going from Dragonball to Dragonball Z. Adult Goku in Japan still sounds like a squeaky kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz39GUm12WY

At 3:10 mark of this video

https://youtu.be/Bm0V0UVqFtQ

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

purple death ray posted:

In my headcanon Nermal is nonbinary gray ace/demiromantic (they/them)

That really hurts.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I didn't feel 100% about that joke honestly

He is a gray cat, does that help?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

I don't think Jim Davis knows what wet nursing is

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Big Grunty Secret posted:

wet nurse
ˈwet nərs/
verb
gerund or present participle: wet nursing

act as a wet nurse to.
informal
look after (someone) as though they were a helpless infant.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

We din't have a tv channel that played hey Arnold when I was a kid but sometimes if you climbed the tree outback you could see it through the neighbour's window.

I think this was the plot of an episode of Hey Arnold.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Big Grunty Secret posted:

i did do a double take looking at that one, not gonna lie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Keanu Reeves, from Bill and Ted's Adventure is John Wick. :aaa:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MariusLecter posted:

Keanu Reeves, from Bill and Ted's Adventure is John Wick. :aaa:

Nice guess, but nope! It's actually a different Keanu Reeves.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah, that's Man of Tai Chi Keanu Reeves, not The Matrix Keanu Reeves, who really shouldn't be confused with Chain Reaction Keanu Reeves.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

They are cousins, however, both descended from Christopher Reeves.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, man. Bill and Ted buy is almost a decade younger than John Wick guy.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Its not that recent that i figured it out but still counts because i should have known way earlier:

Cats have whiskers on their forelegs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sponge Baathist posted:

Its not that recent that i figured it out but still counts because i should have known way earlier:

Cats have whiskers on their forelegs.

By definition they are not whiskers.

e: Today I learned the definitions of whisker.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Last night I attended a stage musical based on the film Heathers. Act 2 started with a song called "I Love My Dead Gay Son" and now I know were the forums meme comes from.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hardcordion posted:

Last night I attended a stage musical based on the film Heathers. Act 2 started with a song called "I Love My Dead Gay Son" and now I know were the forums meme comes from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMroWnWIqs0

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just learned earlier today that there's a brand of rum called Mount Gay, and that it's supposedly a good, popular brand of rum.

Had it tonight (related to the thread topic, my girlfriend and bartender-for-years-before-that was vocally surprised that I never had rum before tonight), but I have no frame of reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always see big MOUNT GAY posters at pubs. I don't know if it's because it's a good rum or the name is funny.