Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Re: records being obsolete, records have much higher tolerance for physical faults than any digital medium so... I don't know but I can listen to a hundred year old records that have a few scratches but CDs from last year with just one scratch deep enough are literally unplayable. Not to mention hard disk drives. (Although it's very very hard to scratch a HDD.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jerry Cotton posted:

Re: records being obsolete, records have much higher tolerance for physical faults than any digital medium so... I don't know but I can listen to a hundred year old records that have a few scratches but CDs from last year with just one scratch deep enough are literally unplayable. Not to mention hard disk drives. (Although it's very very hard to scratch a HDD.)

Uh no vinyl records do not have higher tolerance for physical wear and damage than CDs. Vinyl is a lot easier to scratch than polycarbonate, and one bad scratch can make it literally unplayable because the needle will just skip. Even if that never happens, you play vinyl with a hard needle that is trying to cut further into the groove, so records that have been played too much wear out and sound bad. On the CD side, the multi-layered error correction encoding used by Red Book audio means that CDs often still play back bit-perfect even with terrible scratches (especially radial ones).

On top of all that you can actually recover a severely scratched CD. There are kits with filler material and polishing compounds you can use to polish a damaged CD back to optical clarity. The only truly permanently fatal CD scratch is one to the top (label) side that penetrates through the label's protective lacquer coating and damages the sputtered aluminum reflective backing and the molded pits and lands which encode bits.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Vinyl undeniably sounds worse, and will probably wear worse, than CDs.

I think the main allure to vinyl is everything other the sound. It's the ritual, the tactile experience of putting wax to turntable, and the necessity to listen to the entire thing from beginning to end instead of skipping around the parts you like. (Especially for concept albums.) The larger format for the artwork is nice too.

I listen to 99% of my music as lovely mp3s on an iPhone, most of the time set to Shuffle All. It's my background music when I'm at my job, when I'm working out, when I'm driving around town; I have favorite songs, but it's mostly just a source of rhythm and pace. But when I want to actually sit down and mindfully listen to a piece of music, vinyl provides that ritual. It doesn't have to sound great to provide that -- it merely has to sound good enough.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It's true.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the other good thing about vinyl is the amount of stuff that's available on it, going back almost a century.

you just don't have that with any other format.

I mean you don't even need electricity to listen to vinyl if push comes to shove.

also cutting and scratching with vinyl is the best

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JFairfax posted:

the other good thing about vinyl is the amount of stuff that's available on it, going back almost a century.*

*So long as you have like 6 different kinds of needles and the ability to use at least 5 different turntable speeds

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

JFairfax posted:

the other good thing about vinyl is the amount of stuff that's available on it, going back almost a century.

you just don't have that with any other format.

Nah ... Have you actually checked out one of the major streaming services?
Spotify has a catalog dating back to early Bell wax cylinders... Admittedly I suppose it only includes stuff that has been re-issued on CD or other digital formats, but I dare you to name 5 good records that are available on vinlyl or 78s, that you would genuinely miss if you only had their catalog.

(Modern music is a different story. There are tons of labels and artists that for some reason only release parts of their back catalog on streaming services.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fishmech posted:

*So long as you have like 6 different kinds of needles and the ability to use at least 5 different turntable speeds

Don't forget size.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Nah ... Have you actually checked out one of the major streaming services?
Spotify has a catalog dating back to early Bell wax cylinders... Admittedly I suppose it only includes stuff that has been re-issued on CD or other digital formats, but I dare you to name 5 good records that are available on vinlyl or 78s, that you would genuinely miss if you only had their catalog.

(Modern music is a different story. There are tons of labels and artists that for some reason only release parts of their back catalog on streaming services.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7e5R96fwU

this ain't on spotify and you can prise it from my cold dead hands

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

Keep it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
there's a bunch of stuff not on there, remixes, acapellas, instrumentals, non-US / european stuff that is decades old.

I bet there's thousands of nigerian disco funk records nowhere near spotify

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, but it's hard to track down that stuff in legit physical media too, often the only reasonable option is :filez:.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just watched a youtube about a cassette player with USB out and some fuckwit had to comment that the thing is obsolete because everything is available on-line and as proof put up a link to a sound file that was only available because the maker of the youtube ripped and uploaded it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Konstantin posted:

Yeah, but it's hard to track down that stuff in legit physical media too, often the only reasonable option is :filez:.

this is true, digging in the crates is fun as well tho'

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Well at least with records, there are online marketplaces where you can scrounge up rare releases. It's a shame most of them are poo poo that no one would want to listen to. But I concede that the music can actually be found.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you don't know about discogs and you like R@RE vinyl then I don't know what the gently caress you're doing with your life, man.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JFairfax posted:

But it is on YouTube, for free even. :v:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Don't forget size.

You're right, I'd forgotten about things like how you had 16-18 inch transcription disks and classical music releases, and how the European record industry sold half-meter diameter discs up to the 30s. A lotta regular record players aren't going to fit those.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Even titty anime is making fun of audiophiles now.

https://twitter.com/Liuwdere/status/822147046140473347

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Spindeco cables optimize the function of connected electronic equipment. The effect doesn't disappear immediately after disconnecting the cable, which makes it difficult to make comparisons."

:stonklol:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
In case you needed something to laugh at this Monday afternoon

http://www.ideonaudio.com/product/3r-usb.html

quote:

The 3R dramatically improves signal transmission from the USB cable (USB rail) through a cutting edge re-drive chip. It replaces and regenerates the USB signal utilizing a high quality low noise power supply. It re-clocks the USB signal utilizing low-jitter oscillators.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 30, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I love how people keep claiming how unreliable digital buses are. Everything works fine, except audio.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm going to start a service where each individual bit of data is carried from your playback device to your amplifier by specially trained Sherpas.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Such a lot of fancy talk which summarizes to "we made a 1-port USB hub using off the shelf silicon and are selling it for far more than it's worth".

Some of their tech claims are even believable! Yes I agree that the receiver eye closes with a long cable and you need an active repeater (hub) in the middle to pull off long cable runs. That's USB 101. A signaling standard not designed for long distance transmission needs help to do that, who knew?!

What it's not going to do is crisp your highs or thumpify your bass. Outboard USB DACs have their own local reference clock. Reclocking the data link which fills the DAC's input FIFO is not going to change the properties of the actual sample clock in any noticeable or important way.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

BobHoward posted:

Such a lot of fancy talk which summarizes to "we made a 1-port USB hub using off the shelf silicon and are selling it for far more than it's worth".

This is 95%+ of audiophile gear on the market today, just replace "1-port USB hub" with literally anything you can think off.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This is some sort of reverse audiophile phoolery. The chip itself is very good and price is reasonable, but who thought it a good idea to label the connectors with Comic Sans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-Ta...hAAAOSwA3dYbKZY

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hob_Gadling posted:

This is some sort of reverse audiophile phoolery. The chip itself is very good and price is reasonable, but who thought it a good idea to label the connectors with Comic Sans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-Ta...hAAAOSwA3dYbKZY

shoulda used Papyrus, for maximum pretension

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

In case you needed something to laugh at this Monday afternoon

http://www.ideonaudio.com/product/3r-usb.html
Its weird cos Schiit, which I respect a lot, also makes one of these

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Its weird cos Schiit, which I respect a lot, also makes one of these

it doesn't sound like they take it very seriously

quote:

Sonic benefits? That’s a lot of hoo-ha!
You’re right. There’s no reason this should make any system sound better. Although we can measure the difference in USB power supply noise, it really shouldn’t matter if the bits make it through. Despite this, some listeners have said that there are sonic benefits from using Wyrd. Us, we remain Swiss on the matter—we don’t do the hard sell by promising sonic nirvana.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

"We know this thing is 100% bullshit but there are plenty of stupid people who will buy it, so why not?"

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
If I could sell what amounts to a USB repeater for $100 you're drat right I would too

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I really need to stop getting into arguments with audiophools.

One guy seems to think it's perfectly reasonable to disqualify participants from a CD-quality vs hi-res listening test, if they express any doubt whether they could hear a difference, and anyone whose results seem like they were guessing, and not count their results in the final conclusion :psyduck:

In other words, remove the data from people who didn't get the results he was expecting :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

If I could sell what amounts to a USB repeater for $100 you're drat right I would too

Slim Devices did this with the Squeezebox Transporter after they saw people modding the $400 version with expensive power supplies and outboard DACs so they made a $2000 model with all the bells and whistles and it actually sold OK.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't get this love for Schiit. Reading a bunch of their product descriptions, while they're not audiophool level bullshit, they're walking a fine line. Kind of sounds like people over at Head-Fi fretting over minute differences in opamps that the human ear can't even pick up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Well, some of their devices perform useful functions at ok prices. Let's not completely overlook that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get this love for Schiit. Reading a bunch of their product descriptions, while they're not audiophool level bullshit, they're walking a fine line. Kind of sounds like people over at Head-Fi fretting over minute differences in opamps that the human ear can't even pick up.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Well, some of their devices perform useful functions at ok prices. Let's not completely overlook that.
This. I sold my Schiit Modi/Magni combo in SA Mart last week and kind of already regret it. It's such a nice piece of kit, a very high-quality DAC and powerful amp for the price and size.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

I really need to stop getting into arguments with audiophools.

One guy seems to think it's perfectly reasonable to disqualify participants from a CD-quality vs hi-res listening test, if they express any doubt whether they could hear a difference, and anyone whose results seem like they were guessing, and not count their results in the final conclusion :psyduck:

In other words, remove the data from people who didn't get the results he was expecting :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

You'd expect anything different from people throwing money at magic?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You'd expect anything different from people throwing money at magic?

No, of course not.

But it is sort of entertaining how he used a specific study from McGill university (on 44.1kHz vs 88.2kHz) to back up his arguments, and as I started picking it apart, he shifted to the "only qualified hi-res listening capable participants" thing and basically discredited the study himself.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Combat Pretzel posted:

They make good products cheaply. If audiophools want to throw more money at them for better magic, then Schiit has a solution for that.
I see no problem with this.

What products specifically "walk a fine line?"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What products specifically "walk a fine line?"

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

A $100 USB signal 'cleaner'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Take a look at this.

http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

How is that not treading awfully close to audiophile territory?