Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Gumball episode where it's basically a parody of FF7 the whole time is unbelievable :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Miraculous is good start for 3d animated shows along with sonic boom. The latter seems to remain as a single season show but it was decent.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sonic Boom season 2 is airing RIGHT NOW

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

The Gumball episode where it's basically a parody of FF7 the whole time is unbelievable :psyduck:

Looking forward to watching it. I'm a sucker for video game parodies.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember most people panning Sonic Boom earlier in the thread. Did it change for the better as time went on?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

I remember most people panning Sonic Boom earlier in the thread. Did it change for the better as time went on?

I'm not sure what the former opinion on the show but IIRC from the episodes I've seen the main problem is that it is so all over the place quality-wise. Like, there'll be a really funny episode, then the very next one will be awful. It's like two different writing teams are working on the show and one is poo poo. Of course I haven't seen it in a while, so maybe they've achieved some level of consistent quality.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd say it's still inconsistent. There's more hits than misses now since they're pulling more gags based on Sonic as an IP and they seem to have found their groove, but you'll still get stinkers fairly often.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Miraculous is good start for 3d animated shows along with sonic boom. The latter seems to remain as a single season show but it was decent.
Something I like about Miraculous is that it's (so far) had a pretty high hit ratio with its stories. The only one I thought was sub-par was 'Stormy Weather', and it's not bad per se, just not up to the level of the rest. It's probably because it was the first episode produced - not all the pieces quite fit together properly. The villain being totally unconnected to Marinette or Adrien even in passing is the only time it happens, and it makes the conflict feel a bit "eh" as there aren't any personal stakes; "Oh look, here's an rear end in a top hat supervillain for us to take down. Ho hum." (I think they later retconned her to be a student at their school.)

Although they've burned through most of the secondary cast as villains now (who's left beyond Marinette's parents, Gabriel's staff, the Mayor and the teachers?), so season 2 is either going to have to expand the cast or tweak the format. Adding two new Miraculous holders and a second boss villain is a pretty big change, admittedly...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I was somehow under the impression that Miraculous wasn't on the U.S. Netflix, so I'm pretty stoked to finally watch it unimpeded. There were some alternative ways to watch it previously, but they were way too much of a pain. From what I watched of it I loved.

A buddy of mine recently let me know that Gravity Falls is on Hulu, so I've been watching that lately. The jokes and gags are sometimes a little too on the nose for my liking, but the show is so drat charming that I don't even care. I'm having a blast going through that. As strange as it sounds, I'd describe it as a family friendly Rick and Morty: weird poo poo goes down with a strange family unit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm spoiling this because I don't know how far you are in, but my favourite line in Gravity Falls was probably on the clone episode:

"I thought we weren't going to do [the clones turning on the original plot], you promised!"
"Yeah, I think we all knew we were lying :haw:."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Payndz posted:

Although they've burned through most of the secondary cast as villains now (who's left beyond Marinette's parents, Gabriel's staff, the Mayor and the teachers?), so season 2 is either going to have to expand the cast or tweak the format. Adding two new Miraculous holders and a second boss villain is a pretty big change, admittedly...

The latter is season 3. I'm excited for ChloBee and VolpinAlya though.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

get that OUT of my face posted:

They did have an entire episode dedicated to making GBS threads on Shadow the Hedgehog.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sonic Boom season 2 is airing RIGHT NOW

Oh shiiiiiiiit :D nice.

Gonna have to watch that now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
DC just announced that due to the success of the Hanna-Barbera comics, that they're going to do a similar line for Looney Tunes, starting off with a set of one shots crossing over LT characters with DC ones, with the currently known ones being;

Martian Manhunter/Marvin The Martian

Lobo/Wile E Coyote & The Roadrunner

Jonah Hex/Yosemite Sam

Batman/Elmer Fudd

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm spoiling this because I don't know how far you are in, but my favourite line in Gravity Falls was probably on the clone episode:

"I thought we weren't going to do [the clones turning on the original plot], you promised!"
"Yeah, I think we all knew we were lying :haw:."

I actually just watched that one before bed last night, and that line definitely got a big laugh out of me. I love self-aware jokes like that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The best part about watching Gravity Falls afterwards is that you aren't waiting six months to a year between random episodes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just caught up on Star Vs. Loved Ludo in the latest episode, he's just so eager to reach his potential. When the situation with Toffee's voice in his head is resolved I could see him not caring about power anymore and just wanting to see what he can do, considering the fun he was having with just the most basic spells.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

BioEnchanted posted:

Just caught up on Star Vs. Loved Ludo in the latest episode, he's just so eager to reach his potential. When the situation with Toffee's voice in his head is resolved I could see him not caring about power anymore and just wanting to see what he can do, considering the fun he was having with just the most basic spells.

I loved the new episode. Ludo is so desperate for a father figure that he tries to shoehorn Glossaryck into that role. It made for some funny bits, but was just a setup for what's really going on. The Toffee reveal actually caught me off-guard, since I assumed he was dead. But I'm happy he's back, it makes sense in the story and this show needs more Michael C. Hall.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Buncha new upcoming Gumball episodes just got put up on demand on CN's site. I'm watching the one called The Catfish, and it's strong. Strong enough that I had to pause the video and take a break by posting in this thread.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Benne posted:

I loved the new episode. Ludo is so desperate for a father figure that he tries to shoehorn Glossaryck into that role. It made for some funny bits, but was just a setup for what's really going on. The Toffee reveal actually caught me off-guard, since I assumed he was dead. But I'm happy he's back, it makes sense in the story and this show needs more Michael C. Hall.

I think my favourite aspect of Ludo is that he is a better student than Star - Star has unlimited power but no idea what the hell she's doing with it, her signature spells are throwing a lot of something stupid at someone and hoping she hits her target without obliterating everything around it. She is a bad magic user because she can rewrite the laws of the universe, but she doesn't understand them on any level so lacks consistent results. She has no respect for what she's doing, the book that is supposed to be her instruction manual, or Glossaryck himself. She ignores the latter two and finds knowing anything important about the universe too boring to care about. She can't even pay attention to Time and Space itself telling her why she stuck herself in a timeloop without having to be talked down to like a 3 year old.

Ludo on the other hand, may have more limited potential, we don't know his limits yet, but while he only learned how to do one thing, he practiced that thing until he had it down, and was more than willing to be patient, and let the secrets of magic unlock for him as they would, it was only after having Toffee egging him on that he tried to skip ahead by having Glossaryck open the forbidden chapter. He seems to have more respect for the book and it's tutor than Star ever had, so it wouldn't be surprising if the next time they fought Ludo actually did quite well despite a more limited arsenal due to understanding how to apply his limited pool of spells in interesting ways.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite aspect of Ludo is that he is a better student than Star - Star has unlimited power but no idea what the hell she's doing with it, her signature spells are throwing a lot of something stupid at someone and hoping she hits her target without obliterating everything around it. She is a bad magic user because she can rewrite the laws of the universe, but she doesn't understand them on any level so lacks consistent results. She has no respect for what she's doing, the book that is supposed to be her instruction manual, or Glossaryck himself. She ignores the latter two and finds knowing anything important about the universe too boring to care about. She can't even pay attention to Time and Space itself telling her why she stuck herself in a timeloop without having to be talked down to like a 3 year old.

Ludo on the other hand, may have more limited potential, we don't know his limits yet, but while he only learned how to do one thing, he practiced that thing until he had it down, and was more than willing to be patient, and let the secrets of magic unlock for him as they would, it was only after having Toffee egging him on that he tried to skip ahead by having Glossaryck open the forbidden chapter. He seems to have more respect for the book and it's tutor than Star ever had, so it wouldn't be surprising if the next time they fought Ludo actually did quite well despite a more limited arsenal due to understanding how to apply his limited pool of spells in interesting ways.

This is pretty spot-on analysis. It seems like the running theme of Season 2 is everyone but Star realizing how much power Star has, and getting alarmed about it. Glossaryck revealing that she never learned her spells from the book, and just made them up, is pretty drat telling. In the meantime, Star is slowly learning that she can't solve every problem by Narwhal Blasting it, but is still prone to impulses and doesn't really have a mentor figure anymore.

And let's not forget Star embracing the "rebel princess" persona and writing down spells in her own notebook. On top of everything else, who knows what kind of poo poo she comes up with during boredom.

I'm fascinated to see where they go with this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It would actually be interesting is due to his paying attention to the basic spells, Star found it really hard to steal the book back because of Ludo using spells that she can't just blast through, like placing a barrier spell across his bedroom door before sleeping each night, that kind of thing. Have Ludo take better care of the book than Star did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gonna double post here because this'll be a bit of an effort post:

After thinking about Star Vs in detail I have started to think that it's main themes are that of education - understanding the fundamental mechanics behind the world being as important as living in it.

1) Star's main problem is a lack of discipline, and knowledge about how to focus her magic properly - most of the other characters are in the situations they are in because of this - Marco and his family are hosting her because her parent's kicked her out, the teacher is now an ogre due to a stray spell and Ludo is finally breaking out of old habits because Star took an "Out of sight out of mind" approach to him. Her development is largely coming into focus because she is in situations that she can't just Narwhal Blast her way out of:

As an aside, Star also never realised the truth behind the Monster Massacre until Marco called her out on it - she routinely skipped the boring parts about how the fights actually went and never realised how one-sided the whole conflict was because she couldn't be bothered to read the book until Marco's reasoning started bothering her and she realised that he was right.

She had great difficulty with the giant wolf because she just threw spells at it willy nilly until she got lucky with Spider with a Top Hat. Her book was stolen on her watch, and Glossaryck seems just fine with his new arrangements, and because she doesn't know any non-destructive spells apart from the All Seeing Eye she has no idea how to find him. She didn't use it, so she was destined to lose it.

Hell, everything in her life is telling her right now to finally grow up and figure her poo poo out, from her Dance club shutting down due to the owner getting tired, to the time-loop that was just asking her to do her loving homework like literally every other version of her in the multiverse did.

2) Her teacher was initially bummed about being an ogre for the rest of her life, until she saw the museum that finally informed her about her new form - she found out that she will now live to hundreds of years old while being able to bench press a minivan, and all of a sudden she's not feeling so bad about her new form - she found solace in education. Also she is starting to go a little easier on Star because while she failed to answer the math problem she tried, finally - she is starting to take her education seriously, even if a little too late, and the teacher is finally getting a sense that she can be taught.

3) Ludo, after his coasting through life cost him everything through his naivety and being taken in by Toffee, was forced to coalesce - everything about him that made him a worthwhile person was put to the test when Star threw him into the void. He had to learn survival skills and fought the elements, and two powerful forest creatures that he subdued, entirely on his own. Then he found his own wand, and tried things Star's way, by flying by the seat of his pants, but it failed him. Then he discovered Glossaryck, and stole the book and now everything in his life is coming together - he is unlocking the secrets of his wand because he submitted himself to Glossaryck's curriculum, hell he has Glossaryck going through the theory stuff as a bedtime story after the practical drills are over. He cares about all parts of his wand, practical or no, and seems to have forgotten his old obsession with getting a "Big boy body" from the first season. He has matured, and realised he doesn't need it. He is content with allowing Glossaryck to get him to whatever his full potential may be.

All the other characters are improving themselves through formal education, Star is only just starting to see the use in it, and only when forced to. If she doesn't pull her wand out of her rear end, she will get left behind and will have noone to blame but herself.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 17, 2017

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That is some real anti-Ponyhead talk.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inkspot posted:

Ponyhead is a bad influence who needs to learn the same lesson but is steadfastly refusing to. Ponyhead is the real villain. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Speaking of Ponyhead and the concept of education:
The headmistress of that reeducation center for princesses hasn't shown up since they trashed that place, right?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

cant cook creole bream posted:

The headmistress of that reeducation center for princesses hasn't shown up since they trashed that place, right?

She appeared in the gift card episode

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cant cook creole bream posted:

No, she sent a bounty hunter after Star and Marco in the episode with the Quest Buy gift card and also one of next week's episode descriptions has her appearing agian.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Inkspot posted:

She should've been a one-off character, honestly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Maybe I need to actually sit down and watch through Star Vs, jesus christ :psyduck:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If you're not into it by Diaz Family Vacation, turn back forever. It's not for you.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

She should've been a one-off character, honestly.

You take that back.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I watched the first episode of Star Vs shortly after it came out and I thought it was too twee for my tastes and the humor relied too much on lolrandom stuff. After season 1 had finished, I watched through it on the urging of this thread and I was really surprised at how good it was. And it's only gotten better in season 2.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I've seen a random episode here and there and every time I do it's much better than the last. I'll give the show a proper watch sometime.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I will not sit idly and allow any Ponyhead hate in this thread :colbert:

(admittedly much of her appeal for me comes from Jenny Slate goodwill)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

All of this Sonic Boom talk has me wondering: Does anyone have a list of the good (or at least watchable) episodes?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senerio posted:

The latter is season 3. I'm excited for ChloBee and VolpinAlya though.
Season 1 Chloe was irredeemable human garbage on every level, though, so it'll be interesting to see if they're actually going to give her some character development and force her to start being a better person, or just make her as appalling as ever but with superpowers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Macaluso posted:

Maybe I need to actually sit down and watch through Star Vs, jesus christ :psyduck:

It's pretty good! A lot of random type humor, especially early on, and Star's kind of an awful person so if you can't stand that as a protagonist it's kind of rough going. However! It's clear that they're really setting her up for development so I think it'll hopefully be worth it.

The first half of season 1 felt kind of 'adventure of the week' which isn't necessarily a bad thing but around when Toffee shows up you realize "oh they have a plan"

e; ok the best description and most praising thing I can say about it is that is like a halfway mix between Dave the barbarian and Kim Possible

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Star's main problem is that she's extremely talented and exactly as spoiled as you'd expect a literal princess to be. Between those two facts, she's never had to work hard or own up to her mistakes before the start of the show. Her parents even spoiled her by sending her to Earth instead of St. Olga's after she burned down a town with her wand.

Of course, what I'm really looking forward to is next week. They've been teasing us about Marco's time skip by focusing on Star and Ludo all this week, but the next two episodes sound like they'll be centered on him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's a good show and I enjoy it.
The end of that time skip episode felt weirdly real. He basically fought a long war and nobody is aware of it or cares. Then everyone expects him to return to his ordinary life as if nothing ever happened. Of course he forgot a computer password he set up decades ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm glad this thread is finally catching up to my level of enjoying Star Vs. on deeper levels.

I don't know why they advertised "NEW EPISODE ON EVERY WEEKDAY" and don't have any on Fridays, but at least it's an actual consistent schedule for once. Much more than we can say for most Disney shows.