Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

aleksendr posted:

Also all rewards are now shared equally among wings and crew (if a mission pay 50k, everyone onboard get 50k), so no need to split hair over the money.

But are they gonna introduce a new ship that can use all that stuff without needing to grind for five hundred hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Vanguard Valentine - a Star Citizen Ship Romance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPHDgiBGNHA

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chalks posted:

My respect for Duke Nukem Forever comes from the fact that the devs gave the game the time it needs to work and play perfectly.

True store though, they used their own and publisher money to do that.

They did not fleece spergs to profit off while being a bunch of inept clowns.

Chris Roberts is a very scummy human being and deserves nothing but the scorn and shame he is bring upon himself and those around him.

Other than just waste other peoples money, He and his wife and family will profit off wasting other peoples money. A truly scummy man.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Klyith posted:

But are they gonna introduce a new ship that can use all that stuff without needing to grind for five hundred hours?

No, unfortunately, they haven't taken the business wisdom of CIG to heart, so instead of introducing a new ship that everyone has to buy in order to experience a new game mechanic, they just allow you to do it in almost any old thing that you might get pretty much from the start. What a silly bunch they are over at FDev.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Klyith posted:

The 3 crew ships are effectively costly, but you can have a gunner as soon as you have a 3rd hardooints and a second seat so most mid class ships (Cobra MK3 and above) should qualify. Even the small Adder is a 2 seater, and it cost nearly nothing. It would make sense most future ships release to allow for snub fighters or mutli crew now that its possible.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I must have missed it, but the ED stream showed a ship docking and undocking onto a bigger ship, yeah?
If that existed, gently caress me they are light years (pun intended) ahead of SC.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

The fact that they feel this is necessary to say is a good sign that they are a filthy doubter and just haven't come to terms with it emotionally yet.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The second picture with wives wanted is great. I guess Valentine's Day was a bust! Darn it, who'd a thunk it??!!! :shobon:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

happyhippy posted:

I must have missed it, but the ED stream showed a ship docking and undocking onto a bigger ship, yeah?
If that existed, gently caress me they are light years (pun intended) ahead of SC.

if your thinking of snub fighters then yea, you can even crew them with NPC. If your thinking about "mega ships" then we have very little details so far, so its mostly speculation.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

happyhippy posted:

Fighters have been around for quite a while now — the new thing there is really just that they can be controlled by another player. I suppose the “megaship” thing is new, but those are really just fancy stations, functionally speaking so it's more a case of new space-stuff models than anything properly new, mechanics-wise.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

Nothing says perfection like a patcher that looks like a 1990s era hacker group wrote it.

Nothing says perfection like taking down your entire network while trying to download it.

Nothing says perfection like a game so broken they had to remove the tutorial instead of have the capability to fix it properly.

Nothing says perfection like your avatar twisting into a destroyed mesh in the middle of nowhere randomly during play

Nothing says perfection like not having even basic functionality like cargo trading in your cargo trading space combat game.

Nothing says perfection like a maximum of around 12 players in your MMO.

Nothing says perfection like having all of these problems with over $140 million dollars in budget and 5 years or so development time.

People like this need to shut the gently caress up. :3:

:allears: I like you (more) when you're bitter about idiots.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzOzyUAUphs
15 minutes of pure fidelity

http://i.imgur.com/tKgr0Xy.gifv

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Shitizens get incredibly angry that Derek Smart can post on the Frontier forums. Haha.

I'm going to be sad when this train finally derails. It's brought such a rich harvest of laughs over the years.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

elite dangerous on ps4 will pretty much be a day one buy for me, even if half of this stuff doesn't make it in

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Spatial posted:

Shitizens get incredibly angry that Derek Smart can post on the Frontier forums. Haha.

I'm going to be sad when this train finally derails. It's brought such a rich harvest of laughs over the years.

Yeah. So I post there regularly as part of my plan to keep them on a constant state of anxiety over at /r/ds/ :grin:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello
  • 3.0 will arrive this year
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • you will not be able to fly down to the planet from space
  • there will be rovers akin to the mako for ground exploration
  • desert planet populated with several small oasis
  • playable space is less than 100km2
  • 3.0 will include a new player inventory
  • no new ship inventory in this release
  • mining will be available
  • player to player trading is not available in this release
  • crafting will not be in this release
  • the planet will only hold 32 players
  • the planet will be instanced
  • currently no ground combat npcs or other life
  • the planet will not track changes made by players
  • this will be the only planet available for this release
  • will feature 3 distinct, hand crafted outposts with new quests
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • sqlude has been pushed to q1 2018
  • mocap cleanup still ongoing with "years" of manpower still to come
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

quote:

What I sent you is what [name] considers the barest of bones release of 3.0. Currently, in order to hit [name]'s release to coincide ship sales, this is what we have to put out. I am beyond hopeful more progress will be made before we release this to backers. Planetary landings are posing extremely problematic at the moment, as well as AI. We were left last year with almost zero progress on AI thanks to [contracted company] but have since moved all work in-house. Most contracted studios are now gone replaced by in-house people.

I want to mention the negativity about the project. I don't know if you'll post this. I want to say many of us here believe in what we are doing. We are not relaxing in hot tubs surrounded by bikini-clad girls, smoking fat-cat cigars lit with backer money. We work very, very hard. Sixty hours a week sometimes. We try to breathe life into this game. We are not a faceless zombie army of programmers and artists. We are people. I want everyone to remember that.

We do understand the patience of people is wearing thing. Mistakes, sometimes big mistakes, have been made. I am not privy to every piece of information regarding those. We know they've happened. We don't stop working. We don't stop trying. We guide and mentor and continue to strive to make the best of bad situations.

We are years out from a full release. Please try to understand that doesn't mean never. Backers started this journey with us and I hope they finish it with us.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

So bets on whether space legs in Elite comes before SC 3.0?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The worm really has turned on the reddit, huh?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Sir, I served with MarchingPowder. I knew MarchingPowder. MarchingPowder was a friend of mine. Sir, you're no MarchingPowder.

So many heroes lost...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

hello
What I sent you is what [name] considers the barest of bones release of 3.0. Currently, in order to hit [name]'s release to coincide ship sales, this is what we have to put out. I am beyond hopeful more progress will be made before we release this to backers. Planetary landings are posing extremely problematic at the moment, as well as AI. We were left last year with almost zero progress on AI thanks to [contracted company] but have since moved all work in-house. Most contracted studios are now gone replaced by in-house people.

I want to mention the negativity about the project. I don't know if you'll post this. I want to say many of us here believe in what we are doing. We are not relaxing in hot tubs surrounded by bikini-clad girls, smoking fat-cat cigars lit with backer money. We work very, very hard. Sixty hours a week sometimes. We try to breathe life into this game. We are not a faceless zombie army of programmers and artists. We are people. I want everyone to remember that.

We do understand the patience of people is wearing thing. Mistakes, sometimes big mistakes, have been made. I am not privy to every piece of information regarding those. We know they've happened. We don't stop working. We don't stop trying. We guide and mentor and continue to strive to make the best of bad situations.

We are years out from a full release. Please try to understand that doesn't mean never. Backers started this journey with us and I hope they finish it with us.

I do genuinely feel bad for a lot of the "little people" working on this shitshow. It's not even their fault, but backers are really starting to feel the pressure here and the blowback that is going to happen when/if a lot of this stuff becomes public is going to be really devastating. That in no way means I'm going to stop mocking CIG and the garbage it produces, but drat - the fact that they already feel hounded by the negativity is telling.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

So many heroes lost...

Eonwe doesn't call, he doesn't write. It's like we don't exist anymore.

Beet Wagon posted:

I do genuinely feel bad for a lot of the "little people" working on this shitshow.

You should. If they really are working 60 hour weeks, they're the ones coming out of this with the lesser rewards, but that very thing itself - 60 hour work weeks outside of an _actual_ release crunch - should speak volumes.

I did eight months of 60 hour work weeks, and it got me nothing but pain and stress. Seriously, if they're reading this poo poo, consider that you have more than a year to go, and you can get another job. But that year will be gone forever, AND you'll have spent it on Star Citizen.

"We are years out from a full release." - All at crunch pace? Nope.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 16, 2017

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

TheAgent posted:

hello

so basically a "planet module" is being made with no real connection to crusader, and CIG just plans to continue putting out incomplete modules while praying that the backers imagination will continue to fill in the gaps. :allears:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Do emotes still render you 100% immune to environmental damages ?

Beet Wagon posted:

I do genuinely feel bad for a lot of the "little people" working on this shitshow. It's not even their fault, but backers are really starting to feel the pressure here and the blowback that is going to happen when/if a lot of this stuff becomes public is going to be really devastating. That in no way means I'm going to stop mocking CIG and the garbage it produces, but drat - the fact that they already feel hounded by the negativity is telling.

This really sound like a death march project.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 16, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The release of 3.0 in that form is going to really shine a light on the lie of CIG taking its time due to dedication to perfection and massively increase the contrast with what E:D can already do.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I am wondering if that negative pressure is from the community or from Crobberts. Over half of that message was dedicated to that rather than what they were working on. So what that is telling me is that the work environment there is indeed toxic.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DapperDon posted:

I am wondering if that negative pressure is from the community or from Crobberts. Over half of that message was dedicated to that rather than what they were working on. So what that is telling me is that the work environment there is indeed toxic.

"years" of crunch level "60 hour work weeks" is going to destroy this faster than Derek in an Abrams.

Edit: Something's nagging me about 'Spectrum' and Mushmouth's appearance in the Spectrum commercials. It's too much of a coincidence, but I can't put my finger on it. trademark quid pro quo?

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 16, 2017

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

hello

So the Great Star Citizen Promise was all these separate game modes in one seamless universe, without loading screens. That was the point, that was the promise, and that was the dream sold to backers.

Being able to create all these experiences separately is not proof of progress - every other game in history has managed to do these things separately. The point is integrating them into one engine, and one experience. If it was as easy as stitching them together after they're separately built, a competent studio would have done so by now, as opposed to waiting for the miserable shitlord in charge of CIG to attempt it.

I'm sure backers, being the bearers of "alternative genetics" that they are, will believe that this resembles progress, and toss even more money into the fire. But make no mistake - what comes next isn't progress - it's the concession before the fold.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

hello

The reason this leak sounds incredibly true is because it's obviously what they would have to do to push out an ideological life preserver for the backers to extend the amount of ship sales they can do. They need another anniversary sale and another gamescom sale and a dozen other ship sales, so they have to deliver something.

A completely instanced menu option that shits you out on a empty "planet" that is coincidentally the easiest type to make (desert) with almost none of the features or infrastructure that would imply a completed game or future progress?

This is where the rubber meets the road. This is where we see how desperate the backers are. They ran out of fake demos and are now spending all year to make a fake game. Backers will not understand why it is a fake game and be unable to parse the difference between a game and a fake game.

It will be like that backer smugly proclaiming that the game can't be too small if the ships are too big to fit into memory to render. "That game! Game exist!" *clacking rocks together*

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 16, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TheAgent posted:

hello

So the point of mining if you can't do poo poo with it is.....

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TheAgent posted:

hello

Is that a new post of yours or one from 2015 or 2016 ?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

hello

Just want to say I called it (in my July blog).

I bet all of the newer features people see will be specific to land stuff and FPS gameplay and vehicles (not in space).

Again it's my belief that most of the talent pool is gone, but there are tons of FPS game tutorials and scripts available to them to utilize. So expect more FPS and significantly less space type development going from here. :)

Oh well, at least you'll get your game? FPS levels separated by choppy space flight instances. I hope backers will be ok with their panty clad little sister resting her chops on a planet in the not-Mako instead of on the bridge of their poo poo class battlecruiser flying through space.

If CIG keeps going it might get to the point where you just pick your next FPS level from a map and space-cutscene your way there! Can't wait!!! :allears:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

"We are years out from a full release." - All at crunch pace? Nope.
Crunch has already been over a full year at this point, with zero chance of it stopping.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

happyhippy posted:

So the point of mining if you can't do poo poo with it is.....

Selling ground concept vehicules. They have saturated the numbers of niches available for spacecraft, but now they can begin the process anew with tanks, rovers, moblie harvesters, moblie research bases, combine harvester, etc.

The Titanic posted:

I bet all of the newer features people see will be specific to land stuff and FPS gameplay and vehicles (not in space).

But, but.. How about the Banu Merchantman ????????

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Starcitizen Patch "Oh God We need more ship sales! 3.0 coming to you sometime!

Edit: I think this will be the patch that backers point to when they wistfully talk about the potential the game had if only more people had believed and that the tires are going to fall off before they can manage to hack out a "planet" and get enough funds from backers to keep going.

"We were weeks, not months away from procedural planets, mining, missions, ground vehicles and outposts! The money wasn't wasted and I wasn't stupid for paying $3,000 for an autism chariot"

haha

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Crunch has already been over a full year at this point, with zero chance of it stopping.

Yeah, I was aware and thought they'd slacken off after they got their 2.6 MvP out. Continuing at crunch rate has to be hitting some labor laws, but they'll definitely start burning out people that presumably have some tribal knowledge embedded from the last few years.

That's going to create a hell of a lot of turnover.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Selling ground concept vehicules. They have saturated the numbers of niches available for spacecraft, but now they can begin the process anew with tanks, rovers, moblie harvesters, moblie research bases, combine harvester, etc.
They'll be rolling out the FPS kits/classes (it's been talked about since forever) soon enough. With ground exploration, I'm sure they'll do another hoverbike sale with the rovers.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't feel bad for them. Outside of contractors or short term contracts, anyone who worked at CIG and co for years participate at least passively in this scam. I hope this will be an indelible stain on their resume.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

This is where the rubber meets the road. This is where we see how desperate the backers are. They ran out of fake demos and are now spending all year to make a fake game. Backers will not understand why it is a fake game and be unable to parse the difference between a game and a fake game.

This is why CIG should probably be considered technically insolvent -- a year's worth of Potemkin game development won't represent any substantial progress toward their promised features, yet to fund this activity they will need to make yet more promises in order to sell even more ships, ground vehicles, weapons, real estate, etc. In the end they're further away from the goal than where they started, but executive bonuses have been paid for another year, so yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Is that a new post of yours or one from 2015 or 2016 ?
You can tell things are getting bad because the leaks are all becoming very circular. Sad!