Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Doresh posted:

Fight! - Round 2

I feel like you could use Fight! to do a "Tales of" P&P RPG pretty easily. Is there a way to make it so that you have spells, and they take less time to cast depending on how many moves deep you are in a combo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
My great, great, great grandfather, Sheriff Evelyn Belzar Armstrong (I am not making that name up), was partly responsible for Harry Longabaugh, the Sundance Kid, becoming an outlaw. He and his deputy, James Swisher, went to arrest a friend of Longabaugh's, Buck Hanby. Hanby reached for his gun and was shot. Swisher was afraid of retaliation from Longabaugh and swore out a complaint. Longabaugh was apparently arrested, but escaped, becoming an outlaw.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ha ha, sounds fun. I'm in the middle of working ahead on the western books and probably one of my favorite bits is the Sundance Kid rifting to the current future, but people don't believe that he's the real Sundance Kid because he says he has never heard of the Lone Ranger or Clint Eastwood. If he was really from the old west he'd have heard of them, obviously. A lot of Lone Star is terrible garbage (anything to do with the Coalition generally is) but that's a cute idea.

Yeah, Sundance Kid in Rifts is a great concept. I've also seen a later book with the Most Wanted list in the area having a guy claims he's Butch Cassidy who isn't (crazy who watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid too many times) and Sundance put a bounty on him due to being annoyed by the fake.

As far as Lone Star:
1) I'm using Lone Star as the stand-in for Shocker for my not!Rider complete with the DM sending animal themed cyborgs from them after me and ridiculous Showa Toku (EDIT: Think Power Rangers villainy for something less obscure) plans.
2) Said book is responsible for an in-joke in my Rifts group due to the stat block for Lone Star's head taking time to mention he's got a 98% SCUBA skill. We can't think of any possible circumstance this would be relevant as he's in Northern Texas in a secure faculty all of the time. Queue us discussing hypothetical SCUBA contests between Rifts villains.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

wdarkk posted:

I feel like you could use Fight! to do a "Tales of" P&P RPG pretty easily. Is there a way to make it so that you have spells, and they take less time to cast depending on how many moves deep you are in a combo?

Sounds like a good fit, seeing how "Tales of" was a bit inspired by fighting games. Fights with multiple Fighters and Thugs would look similar to a typical Tales battle.

Spells are obviously Special Moves, probably with Ranged. The closest thing to do the reduced spell time by the book would involve Move Sub-Set, your go-to Liabilty for pre-defined combo trees.
By doing some trickery involing the Liabilty and dumping the Move's Accuracy into the ground (which makes the Move worthless outside of being used inside a single Combo), you could essentially build a duplicate of the spell that has the same effects, but fits into a smaller Level. Having to break the Combo up for the next turn could still work out if the preceding Move doesn't have garbage Accuracy as well.

A more flexible option would involve houseruling. Maybe some kind of "Spell" Element that grants a Control bonus if used following a Combo. The spell would not be part of the actual Combo (which happened last turn) to keep figuring out the Combo easier and to add a bit of risk into it since you have to win Initiative to gain the bonus.
For more complex Combo calculations, you could have the Control cost for the Moves start to go down after a certain threshold.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Cassa posted:

Quick google shows about 100 nuclear reactors in the USA, or do the Shadowrun devs also not want to write anything for Europe?

Last page but yeah, I'm guessing Shadowrun is pretty US-centric? I have to give the writers kudos for having the balls to say "Yep, our European market does not exist in-game".

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Darth Various posted:

Last page but yeah, I'm guessing Shadowrun is pretty US-centric? I have to give the writers kudos for having the balls to say "Yep, our European market does not exist in-game".

Seattle is where a lot of stuff is written, but Berlin is one of the famous settings. It's part corporate city-states, part coalition of anarchist collectives. Ireland has been taken over by Elves (kill all Elves).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Darth Various posted:

U.S.-centric? Shadowrun is the reason I know anything about the municipalities surrounding Seattle.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Fight! - Challengers

Not your typical harem anime.

Power Level 1

It's Fight! Challengers, the "bestiary" of Fight!, if you will. The Contender Compendium. The Martial Artist Manual. The Fighter Folio. The... oh, I'll stop now.

This book features 39 example Fighters from all Power Levels, usable as-is or as inspiration, be it as a NPC or PC. In fact some of these guys and gals were characters in a playtest campaign or two.
For some beat-'em-up action the book also provides 30 different Thugs, from the lowly street thug to a friggin' tank.

The organization of the book is a bit unorthodox in that the Fighters are ordered by Power Level (each using a different main color, except for levels 5 and 6 which are both blue), and then by name. I think this works out in this case since this is a book about individuals instead of generic creatures, and I guess a tournament-centric campaign can benefit from having example characters that are close in power be physically next to each other.

Each Fighter has one or two genres they should work best in. The "Standard" genre is your typical modern-day-ish setting, but there's also "Future" (high-tech stuff), "Historical" (old stuff), "Horror" (magic stuff), and "Extreme", which is basically the genre for anime fighters like Guilty Gear or Melty Blood where pretty much anything goes.
A very small number of Fighters fall into the "3D-Fighter" genre, which means they've been build using dynamic Attack Strings to simulate all those fancy combo chains you see in Tekken.

Fighter descriptions themselves are very video-gamey. You have a description of various taunts, poses and win quotes, the name of his/her fighting style, Blood Type... some even get a second appearance description for an alternative costume. The only thing I'm missing for the source material are the silly "likes/dislikes" entries.
There's also fun stuff like a "Strategy Guide" for each Fighter with tips of how to make best use of his or her Moves, campaign and character notes for some behind-the-scenes stuff, and development guidelines with tips on what to do with the Fighter in case of level-ups.

With that out of thhe way, let's tackle Power Level 1. I'll post the fighting style and one Win Quote per Fighter. None of this has any mechanical effects, but it gives a good first impression.

Amarao Azure

Time for a haiku.

Fighting Style: Storm Hand Style
Win Quote:"The wind and I will go where we will and nothing can stop us."

A character originally created for the Mana Trigger campaign. I can't really find anything about it on the web, but the book is helpful to tell us it was about mythic not-China that also had modern technology.
Amarao is one the younger of the two princes of that land, and he's obsessed with proving his father that he would make the better heir. He'll probably not be very popular, seeing how he is kind of an arrogant, self-centered douchebag. One of his "victory poses" even has him call painters to draw his glorious victory.

(He's also a good example for retooling characters, since a more "normal" setting could have him just be some bloke from a wealthy family.)

Amarao uses wind-based attacks in combat to go with his rad dragon tatoo, and there always seems to be a wind around him to move his fabuluous hair.
He's fast character who balances his low Strength with ranged attacks, namely the Wind Knife (a fast projectile that causes the target to stagger backwards) and Sky Blade (a mid-air shockwave). Opponents that come to close are in danger of eating a Leaf versus Tornado (like a Shoryuken, except done by a tornado).

Damien Darkraven

Surprisingly fun-looking for someone with that name.

Fighting Style: Animus Reqiuem
Win Quote:"It's a kind of magic." (actually his third win quote, but I just had to use it)

Damien's backstory reads like something out of Melty Blood or Under Night: As the son of two magic-users who fought demons in the Dark Ages and found the secret of immortality, he fights with a combination of magic and a summoned scythe.
Unfortunately for Damien, the power inherited by his parents is far too much for him to handle at the moment, so most of his abilities are sealed away. Still, he occasionally pulls an Iori Yagami and goes a bit crazy.
His main motivation for fighting is to protect others (like his girlfriend) and to become stronger in order to controls his powers.

Combat-wise, he's very offense-orientied with little defenses, forcing him to rely on high Initiative and Combos. He has a Special Move to represent the various basic attacks he can do with his Death Scythe (whose reach makes it a good combo starter), a KoF-style ground wave in the form of the Blood Sweep, and his Rising Scythe has him throw the scythe in the air for a more juggle-friendly Shoryuken.

Ganton Blade

The Australian "A Nightmare on Elm Street" reboot took some liberties with the original design.

Fighting Style: Valgo Hunting Techniques
Win Quote:"Amateurs shouldn't interfere with professionals."

Ganton hails from the Lastborn campaign, set in the late 21s century where most people live in megacities to protect themselves from the post-apocalyptic wasteland.
Mr. Blade here was a bad enough dude to venture outside, where became friends with the Valgo tribe and learned all there is to surviving against mutants and whatnot.
He has a pet chameleon (that can breathe fire), and the claw on his right arm is something he made out of one of his prey, Monster-Hunter-style. Also his crossbow makes shotgun sounds when reloading.

Power Level 1 is always a funny place to be in Fight!. unless you forgo ranged attacks and Combos, you'll most likely only have enough points to be somewhat decent in one type of defense (probably to keep things simple at first). Most go for Defense and Evasion as those are the most straightforward types of responses.
Not so Ganton. He has points in Tactics and Tactics alone. Since he doesn't have counter Moves (yet), his main defensive options are the Basic Response (aka interrupt people with a quick jab or something) and the Jinking Response (aka backing off at the last minute).
Luckily for him, two of his three Moves - Salamander Breath and Spike Fall - are ranged, and the other one is Claw Slash, which has reach and knocks down.

Innocence

Kamen Rider Wings. No, seriously.

Fighting Style: Sacred Sword Fist
Win Quote:"This is a distraction. I have to be going now."

Another character from Mana Trigger, Innocence is a sort of mysterious biker vigilante, patrolling the streets at night and beating up evildoers. She claims to be an angel - and has the wings to back it up - but that raises even more questions because angels aren't commonly associated with bikers.

Her Moves are flashy and cool: her Halo Burn is a damaging aura that can interrupt attackers, her Righteous Lance is a dash punch, and the Heaven-sent Hawk is a chargeable dive kick which I'll just assume to be a Rider Kick.

Kaozan the Red Tiger

Apparently both are reacting to a bad joke.

Fighting Style: Red Tiger Claw
Win Quote:"I cannot rest while people need my help!"

Another one from Mana Trigger. Kaozan is Amarao older brother. He's much less of a jerk, if a bit simple-minded, and he is so bored of his life at court that he's effectively moved on to be a wandering hero, beating up bandits and such with his fist and the help of his pet tiger.

Whereas his brother focuses on ranged attack, Kaozan is all about getting close and personal with devastating combos. He has a short hop attack (Tiger Pounce), a command throw (Tiger Tail), and a short-ranged backhand (Swatting Tiger).

Leonides

Hey, it's the Round 2 cover guy!

Fighting Style: Blazing Soul Universal Style
Win Quote:"My style is more versatile than any style in the world!"

Leonides has a simple "Chosen Hero" background: born with the mark of the Blazing Soul, he was trained in various forms of martial arts until he was ready for the Universal Style, the greatest of them all. He is eager to master this style, and find out about as many different techniques as he can.

His move set is pretty darn weird in a positive way: Blazing Zeal is a punch that sets the opponent on fire after a short delay, the Freeform Fire Kata - Alternate Stance is a random Move akin to Faust (Leonides just picks a random attack from memory), and then we have the Universal Combat Technique #11, a command throw with the Copies Moves Element.
Copies Moves - if you haven't read or remembered my review of the corebook - is Kirby, the Element. You land a hit and get a pretty good chance at copying a Move from the opponent for a short while.
All in all, Leonides is very adaptable, but also rather random.

Marie Legendre

The first challenger of the Challengers cover appears.

Fighting Style: Enlightened Revolutionary Style Combat Arts
Win Quote:"Liberté! Egalité! Fraternité!" (This quote will make more sense in a second)

Our first historical Fighter, Marie hails from 18th century France, and she's more than ready to kick royal butt in the name of the revolution.

Her stats are well-rounded so far, but her Moves are very unorthodox: Esprit de Corps is a heal Move that only works on others, Boulet de Canon has her call for a cannon strike for a massive - if inaccurate - AoE attack, and Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité has her throw makeshift bombs.

She's basically a beat-'em-up character and a real riot at larger brawls.

Mira Whitewitch

Where's a Chocobo if you need one?

Fighting Style: Tribal White Magic
Win Quote:"Be a good child from nyow on, nyokay?" :3:

Another Lastborn character. Mira hails from a tribe of catgirls and catboys whose magical tradition is threatened by the tribe's growing industrialization. As one of the tribe's last mages, she tries to keep the tradition alive while helping to give everyone a brighter future.
Also she has lots of verbal tics because catgirl.

Having a white mage theme, it is no surprise that she doesn't hit very hard, but can use Magic Heal to patch herself or her allies up. Magic Blast provides ranged support, while Everything is Cuter with Kittens has her summon a bunch of kittens to maul whoever gets close to her.
She's basically a silly mage-type, like Akari Ichijou from Last Blade.

Rafaella Roderick

And here's the Round 2 cover girl!

Fighting Style: Secret Arts of the Court of Stars
Win Quote:"You can't beat me! I can be anybody!"

With what is probably the craziest - and most white-wolfish - origin so far, Rafaella is a changeling, a shapeshifter with faerie heritage. She was part of a secret society of fellow changelings called the Court of Stars - until an organization known as the Fomorian Initiative murdered just about everyone but her. Now she's out for revenge.

Rafaella can be easily stunned with her Glass Jaw Weakness, and her Move Set makes her a hardcore Shang Tsung: All of her three Moves have the Borrow Identity Element, causing her to temporarily transform into a specific other Fighter she has met and fought before. Each identity she can take on has to be its own Special Move (meaning you can tie her to up to three other characters from the get-go).
I like the idea that these transforming Moves can otherwise work just like regular Special Moves. You could probably do some neat stuff building each respictive Borrow Identity move into something the actual character would use (an uppercut to turn into Ken, a suplex to turn into Zangief,...)

Next Time: Power Level 2. Fighter Boogaloo.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 16, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Darth Various posted:

I've run four decently long SR campaigns over the years and three of them ended up in Africa because I didn't want to deal with the stupidity of the base setting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

wiegieman posted:

Seattle is where a lot of stuff is written, but Berlin is one of the famous settings. It's part corporate city-states, part coalition of anarchist collectives. Ireland has been taken over by Elves (kill all Elves).

Berlin is also famous because Germans for some reason loving love Shadowrun to the point there is content exclusively written for them.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've run four decently long SR campaigns over the years and three of them ended up in Africa because I didn't want to deal with the stupidity of the base setting.

Funny you should say that, the second "season" of my Shadowrun 4e game that I'm playing in takes place in Lagos, Africa after season one took place in Richmond, Virginia.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

Berlin is also famous because Germans for some reason loving love Shadowrun to the point there is content exclusively written for them.

Right, It hink it's either the number 2 or 3 over here.

(I don't quite get it, personally.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
4E Hong-Kong is great and my default setting.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

IR-2015 Kani "Crab Walker"

"Kani"... does mean crab. Bravo, Rifts, maybe you're getting ahold of this language thing! But probably not. This is a car-sized crab that's used for underwater work, but is surprisingly fragile, only having about as much M.D.C. as the Tazu-Tengu. It has short-range and mini torpedoes, a blue-green laser that may as well be a pistol aimed out the window, a laser torch, and a plasma torch. In case one torch cannot perform its duties, another will be ready to stand in its place. Maybe it could face the crab mecha from Triax & the NGR for the battle for ultimate crab. What crab will win? What crab will win?

I just...why did they give the crab tank fists!? I had forgotten about that. Is it a boxing crab? They don't even shoot out rocket-punch style. Fisticrabs is heresy!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Doresh posted:

(I don't quite get it, personally.)

Wasn't Germany huge into the kind of anti-corporate punk scene that Shadowrun takes it's cues from? (Dragonfall btw takes place in Berlin and has my favorite party member: An ex-Punk band singer who likes to stomp on neo-nazis)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doresh posted:

I know both 4 and 5th edition got the same treatment with exclusive content.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Robindaybird posted:

Wasn't Germany huge into the kind of anti-corporate punk scene that Shadowrun takes it's cues from?

Yes. Germany also got a better version of Shadowrun than everyone else, because the translators of the German version looked at the original rules (this was 2e I think?) and said "wait, this is stupid, we can't print this!" and wrote the fixes straight into the translated core book.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MonsieurChoc posted:

4E Hong-Kong is great and my default setting.

I loved Shadowrun: Hong Kong on PC and would definitely play a tabletop game set there if I had any friends serious about learning to play Shadowrun.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

occamsnailfile posted:

I just...why did they give the crab tank fists!? I had forgotten about that. Is it a boxing crab? They don't even shoot out rocket-punch style. Fisticrabs is heresy!

Maybe it's based on the Chinese Mitten Crab where the claws are mostly buried in soft, luxurious fur.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rifts World Book 8: Japan Part 18: “The armor vaguely resembles the armor in North America, but has a more Japanese/samurai flavor to its design.”

Body Armor

So close to being over with the weapons parade, but not yet. We get some notes that customization and other models of armor are common, so if the art doesn't match an armor actually listed here, we have an excuse. In addition, there are several suits of armor from the corebook that are available here, even though the manufacturer (Northern Gun) doesn't have a presence here and likely doesn't even know Japan exists. Well, maybe a shipment of them fell through a rift. We get new exciting rules for armor with full environmental protection losing parts of that protection when at 25% of M.D.C. or lower, but this will not be mentioned elsewhere, so you can probably just ignore it. Kind of an important rule just kind of done in a throwaway fashion.

This section starts out with the non-armor KM-200 Jet Pack and KM-250 Underwater Propulsion, manufactured by Kiramitsu, that Republic of Japan vehicle manufacturer only mentioned once otherwise. Moving on to the mighty parade of armors!

”Kuru”, “Trooper”, and “Infiltrator” armors, respectively.
  • AT-A11 Kuru Street Armor: "Kuru" means "hunchback" or "rickets" as far as I know, so not sure what they're trying to say here. The standard armor for Republic of Japan police and light military, it's about average compared to the corebook at 65 M.D.C. There's knockoff versions that could have lower M.D.C... or higher, and greater sneaking penalties.
  • AT-A14 Infantry "Trooper" Body Armor: The main infantry armor for the Republic, this has 95 M.D.C., making it close to the Triax armors... but it has a special mobility penalty when doing physical skills, which makes it objectively worse. It also has tiger stripes, which I think makes it a member of Tiger Force.
  • AT-A15 Marine Heavy Combat Body Armor: Designed for underwater usage, this gives 120 M.D.C. along with strength enhancements. It's nearly impossible to sneak in it, but I guess you can swim in it as seemingly intended since there's no actual penalty to swimming when lugging around 40 pounds of armor.
  • IA-100 Infiltrator Body Armor: Used by sneaky sorts, ninjas included, this is a pretty generic bodysuit with pads all over. The funky eye thing is supposed to be a camera and telescope... well, monoscope, if it only covers one eye. It has an M.D.C. of 60, which is decent considering its special climbing features and extra hacking computer and that is has a laser or blade in the wrist. However, despite being the "Infiltrator", it still gives a modest sneaking penalty, even though there are heavier armors in the corebook that don't. Whups.
  • IA-130 "Sumo" Body Armor: Because it makes you look fat, get it? Get it? So it has a whopping 145 M.D.C. and a modest exoskeletal strength bonus, but gives a -60% on physical skill rolls. So if you actually try and perform sumo in this, you'll likely get knocked on your rear end faster than the judge can say "ippon".
  • HA-4 and HA-5 "Hiker" Body Armor: A crappy non-environmental suit at 45 M.D.C., and is mostly used by... farmers and traveling merchants and stuff. The HA-5 costs more, weights more, but is more popular because it looks like traditional samurai armor. They sure do love them some samurai, I tell you what. (Only the HA-5 is pictured, the HA-4 is a mystery.)
  • HA-6 and HA-7 "Frontiersman" Body Armor: M.D.C. 70, the HA-7 is a version that looks like samurai armor and costs more, no art, moving on.
  • HA-20 Juicer Environmental Armor: This makes you look like a skull samurai. A skullurai, in other words. It's M.D.C. is 75, and it has no real features that make it particularly appealing to Juicers other than skulls.

”Sumo”, “Hiker”, and Juicer armors, respectively.

Not too much exciting here, there are some with interesting features but bad implementation. Still, if you’re in Japan, this is likely all you can get. :japan:

Next: Roll to care for your tiny tree, ninja ‘borg.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Funny you should say that, the second "season" of my Shadowrun 4e game that I'm playing in takes place in Lagos, Africa after season one took place in Richmond, Virginia.

I've run one in Lagos (pirates and pharmaceutical wars), one in Kenya (building a Beanstalk on Kilimanjaro), and one in South Africa (gold miners dug up a Horror).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Wasn't Germany huge into the kind of anti-corporate punk scene that Shadowrun takes it's cues from? (Dragonfall btw takes place in Berlin and has my favorite party member: An ex-Punk band singer who likes to stomp on neo-nazis)

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 17, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Deitrich owns.

Did they ever actually release Berlin or Hong Kong sourcebooks for Shadowrun 4e? As near as I've been able to find they didn't have a lot of GM-support books.

(Oh god I have to make all my NPCs myself I haven't done that in ages :smithicide:)

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Robindaybird posted:

Nick Cave got huge there, so by that logic they should love oWoD and all things gothic punk.
Appropos of nothing, I went to a cool exhibition on German industrial music. Am I supposed to imagine everyone was playing SR between Eisturzbe Neubatten gigs? Should SR GMs play Krautrock to set the mood?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Deitrich owns.

Did they ever actually release Berlin or Hong Kong sourcebooks for Shadowrun 4e? As near as I've been able to find they didn't have a lot of GM-support books.

(Oh god I have to make all my NPCs myself I haven't done that in ages :smithicide:)

Hong Kong was one of the first 4E setting books- they were doing a thing where'd just lump 2-3 cities together thematically. Runner Havens, I think?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

JackMann posted:

My great, great, great grandfather, Sheriff Evelyn Belzar Armstrong (I am not making that name up), was partly responsible for Harry Longabaugh, the Sundance Kid, becoming an outlaw. He and his deputy, James Swisher, went to arrest a friend of Longabaugh's, Buck Hanby. Hanby reached for his gun and was shot. Swisher was afraid of retaliation from Longabaugh and swore out a complaint. Longabaugh was apparently arrested, but escaped, becoming an outlaw.
History makes for some drat fine character backgrounds, doesn't it?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Doesn't Germany have a large gaming scene? Not just creating the whole "Euro game" genre, but tabletop and LARPing in general tends to be really big. It makes some sense that Germany would be a bit overrepresented in Shadowrun because of that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I burst out loud in laughter when I first read that because so loving true - very few punk bands have a traditionally good singer. Also: "We were called MESSERKAMPF! - spelled exactly what it sounds like, including exclamation point."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I did too. :) It's one of my favourite exchanges from that game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

They did release a small Hong Kong soucebook for SR5 as a kickstarter backing reward from what I can remember.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Hong Kong was one of the first 4E setting books- they were doing a thing where'd just lump 2-3 cities together thematically. Runner Havens, I think?

Yeah, Runner Havens. The Sesttle portion is meh, but the HK part was great (IIRC, it's been years).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Robindaybird posted:

I burst out loud in laughter when I first read that because so loving true - very few punk bands have a traditionally good singer. Also: "We were called MESSERKAMPF! - spelled exactly what it sounds like, including exclamation point."

Any relation to MESSER CHUPS?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The first Harebrained Schemes shadowrun game (Dead Man's Switch) was meh, but the writing REALLY hit their stride in time for Dragonfall and Hong Kong. The crews you get in those games are all really great and get the feel of having a team you care about and rely on, which I think is important for Shadowrun.

Except Blitz in Dragonfall.. Blitz is boring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crasical posted:

The first Harebrained Schemes shadowrun game (Dead Man's Switch) was meh, but the writing REALLY hit their stride in time for Dragonfall and Hong Kong. The crews you get in those games are all really great and get the feel of having a team you care about and rely on, which I think is important for Shadowrun.

Except Blitz in Dragonfall.. Blitz is boring.

I liked Blitz fine, myself.

He works as the fuckup, the outsider, and as the regular guy, which are all helpful roles. I mean, most of your team is a tight knit group of operators who have backstories that get one kind of weird or another. Eiger's entire unit was wiped out when she was in the military, Glory's hunted by the devil, Deitrich's a dragonslayer, and Blitz... took out some loans he probably shouldn't have.

It also means, while your time with most of the crew starts with you proving yourself to them, Blitz has to prove his utility to you, which helps keep the other dynamics balanced.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

The cosm chapter of this book is actually pretty short by Torg standards: it's only about 7 pages long and covers "how we got here" and "what the current situation is". I'm actually okay with it because while it does have a little too much history, they're not spending a lot of time there unlike the other books.

The Race have no racial diversity anymore (it's been bred out), but there are a few different cultures still kicking around by way of the Free Nations.

I hope you do cover some of this because I actually found those bits like when the war started and what exactly the Free Nations are (that ties in with the first part) and other background stuff like the fact the Free Nations have mandatory cremation due to vulnerability to nano-infected zombies.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That said: yes, your Race character options basically boil down to "Race soldier" or "freed slave/rebel leader", and the cultures are barely different.

There's a few others, but you're pretty much correct. I know that one of the sample characters has an unaligned "mutant" that doesn't go much into a whole lot of detail on their background. I'm hoping with Torg Eternity that they do flesh out more of the Race, largely because the original setup was fairly limited in scope and Race characters were probably advance scouts from the Free Nations or formerly enslaved characters because I don't see anyone else coming down that Maelstrom Bridge without Jezrael's permission.

Evil Mastermind posted:

As we'll see later when I get into more detail on them, not only are they fiddly they also make the Tharkoldu a bit uncomfortably sexual and :biotruths:-y as gently caress.

Yeah, IIRC, their creation mythos is basically the "Progenitor" raping the universe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Interesting you made that change; in Torg Eternity, Tharkold doesn't get stopped and manages to land the bridge, but then not-Putin nukes it and winds up turning a large chunk of Russia into a radioactive Mad Max wasteland.

I'm actually disappointed that Ulisses Spiele description, where they describe Tharkold as Terminator, Mad Max, and Hellraiser didn't loving include STALKER or Metro 2033 (which at least has a book series before the games), since that's like the biggest change in the genre the last ten years and heavy with Russian influence. What I'm hoping is that the bridge collapse allows for variety of characters, with more Race options or includes the Tharkoldu half-breeds (which are pretty squicky).

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Count Chocula posted:

Nick Cave got huge there, so by that logic they should love oWoD and all things gothic punk.
Appropos of nothing, I went to a cool exhibition on German industrial music. Am I supposed to imagine everyone was playing SR between Eisturzbe Neubatten gigs? Should SR GMs play Krautrock to set the mood?

Hard to tell since the punk craze was before my time.

Though seeing how the other two popular games are The Black Eye and SR, I can see people like another game with lots of crunch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wiegieman posted:

So how did they manage that exactly? I mean what happened to the non-elf Irish? For that matter, how would all the elves know to go for historically misty, tree-infested locales instead of forming a social substrate like many other diaspora-ish cultures?

For that matter how do they know to act like elves? My impression is that the ork/troll people in Shadowrun are basically just treated like thuggish goons so they act like it, and dwarves acting dwarfy isn't that hard. But elves, now, elves need a certain degree of tragic and distant tradition which would be hard to introduce when your entire sub-species arose from a genetic disease a few decades ago. Are there scandals when it's revealed that Lord Eoldris was actually born Jacob Edward Borinsky?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Glory is objectively the best character in Dragonfall :colbert:

(the best one in Hong Kong was the vampire lady, and it's a drat crime she wasn't a proper party member. Gobbet is a close second, though, even if I don't like shamans much gameplay-wise)

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 17, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Doresh posted:

Hard to tell since the punk craze was before my time.

Though seeing how the other two popular games are The Black Eye and SR, I can see people like another game with lots of crunch.

TBF, Berlin being a city-wide anarchist enclave had something to due with the Kreuzberg district in Berlin and the autonoms during the early '90s.

Nessus posted:

So how did they manage that exactly? I mean what happened to the non-elf Irish? For that matter, how would all the elves know to go for historically misty, tree-infested locales instead of forming a social substrate like many other diaspora-ish cultures?

For that matter how do they know to act like elves? My impression is that the ork/troll people in Shadowrun are basically just treated like thuggish goons so they act like it, and dwarves acting dwarfy isn't that hard. But elves, now, elves need a certain degree of tragic and distant tradition which would be hard to introduce when your entire sub-species arose from a genetic disease a few decades ago. Are there scandals when it's revealed that Lord Eoldris was actually born Jacob Edward Borinsky?

Actually, there is. Elves are born from the same genes that dwarves came out, they're mostly UGE babies. But, there's been a few immortal elves that, like dragons, have been hiding out accumulating wealth and connections. Tir Tairngire (formerly Oregon) and Tir Na Nog (Ireland) are basically founded that there were these immortals. But, there's a common conspiracy theory that the so-called immortal elves are just people who made up the whole elf culture thing whole cloth to justify their racist, classist feudalism. It's gotten to be more and more ambiguous as the line has gone on, especially since the current license holders lost Earthdawn, which was supposed to be a prequel set in a prehistorical civilization and features some of the same metaplot characters. With being unattainable now, the "immortal elves are (mostly) fake" trope is something that's popped up more and more in future editions. Tir Tairngire has itself had metaplot changes that have moved away from being run by a circle of immortal elves to populist movement to unseat the circle.

The interesting thing is that, thanks to Dunkelzahn, he owned a codex that suggested there was Ork culture that predates both human and elven civilizations.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nessus posted:

Also, what's the situation with elf sub-races? Did some elves wander off to some concert, only to become the first punk elves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doresh posted:

Also, what's the situation with elf sub-races? Did some elves wander off to some concert, only to become the first punk elves?
Feanor took us to his cousin's house to take his two vans which both ran and which he wasn't using at all, but then his cousin was a douche and wouldn't give him the keys, and thus came the Kinslaying at Aqualonde. We asked, who would shuttle us, and yet none would turn the ships back at the concert, and so we were forced to make the crossing over the Grinding Ice, which is what Jaime calls the BART when they got the AC up too high.