Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

There's no puzzle about Taboo. The narrative has been pretty straight forward so far. Unless you're one of the people who posts about TV in this forum, who'd have a hard time following an episode of Wishbone without asking two or three clarifying questions in the megathread.

More the *INTELLECTUAL* than the puzzle bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
People sure do like to get judgy about avatars recently huh?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I noticed the guards at the swimming pool had domino symbols on them.

I know there's a mutant named Domino with bad luck powers, but is there any organisation in the comics with that theme?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
None that I know of, although The Hellfire Club uses chess pieces for it's hierarchy, so it might be a parallel.

Did we ever find out what was in the cage when the old man was giving that "farts too loud" comment? It was the immediately before a commercial break, but I don't think there was any answers. He got mad, they gassed him, they tried to electrify him in the pool, but The Caged Thing (And The Helmet On Top Of The Cage) played no further role at all? Even when the resistance were raiding the place, it seems it was forgotten about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Did we ever find out what was in the cage when the old man was giving that "farts too loud" comment? It was the immediately before a commercial break, but I don't think there was any answers. He got mad, they gassed him, they tried to electrify him in the pool, but The Caged Thing (And The Helmet On Top Of The Cage) played no further role at all? Even when the resistance were raiding the place, it seems it was forgotten about.

A dog. One of many on this show, actually. In the flashbacks, a model one on the table during the interview, another on top of the Clockworks building.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

None that I know of, although The Hellfire Club uses chess pieces for it's hierarchy, so it might be a parallel.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about it. They gave it a ton of attention for like 10 seconds, then never referenced it again.

I'm sure it will come up later on, but it's odd that they didn't do much with it in the pilot.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I think it could be a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwolves

Was looking up Mojo and Shadow King to see which the fat guy could be. Also these Warwolves can take human form, so I'm wondering if the Garfunkel guy with the weird eye is one of them since didn't talk and seems like a subservient guy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Road to Nowhere is a pretty good song choice.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Uh, did everyone bail on this show after the pilot or something?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Barry Convex posted:

Has it been a week already? Is it on tonight?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah did it air? I cant find it anywhere

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes, an episode aired at the normal time.

And my Tivo utterly failed to record it even though it was marked as new.

Recording the 1:38 am rerun to watch later.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Good episode. Not quite as stylish as the pilot, but had its fair share of wild imagery and memorable scenes, especially Lenny trading a stove for drugs (suggesting David knew Lenny prior to being committed). It still feels like we're not remotely on stable ground in terms of what's going on with David. I'm waiting for several other shoes to drop.

one thing that's odd is that, while it seems readily apparent Syd is real, because she's mentioned by the others, nobody interacts with her in any scenes aside from the car flashback. It felt very Mr. Robot in the blocking. I think at this point either Syd is totally real and the show is messing with the people paying close attention, or some hinky poo poo is going on.

also wtf was the deal with Bill Irwin's character?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I'm still not sold on Lenny being real. The idea above about warwolves is pretty cool but I was wondering if we are seeing a Wolfsbane analogue, seeing that Legion originates in New Mutants. Nice to see that Syd's powers involve switching places and bodies on contact, and are not a direct Rogue analogue. Iterested a lot in Vapor, like is it a mutant drug like Kick? and is there any significance to "it's always blue" like is it Dazzler's blood or something?

Can't wait for next week!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Spatula City posted:

one thing that's odd is that, while it seems readily apparent Syd is real, because she's mentioned by the others, nobody interacts with her in any scenes aside from the car flashback. It felt very Mr. Robot in the blocking. I think at this point either Syd is totally real and the show is messing with the people paying close attention, or some hinky poo poo is going on.

Syd not being real would throw a pretty huge wrench into the narrative as we've seen it (like, even beyond any "unreliable narrator" stuff, huge important sections of the show would be completely negated). I think the lack of interaction is just another way of demonstrating the isolating nature of her powers. And it's easy to forget with David being our point-of-entry character to Summerland, but she's only been there and known these people what, a few weeks longer than him? So it's likely she's not super close with any of them yet.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Pretty sure Syd and Lenny are both real. I know this is basically "unreliable narrator, the show", but they go pretty far to explain both of them and why they're in the present with David. There's no mystery to why Lenny is still around, and Syd explains her powers and how they switched and all that so there's no real big mystery about what happened with her.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

For now, I'm choosing to believe Syd and Lenny are real, or were real in Lenny's case. What makes me curious are all the voices David hears; can anyone tell what they're saying? I know before he hung himself, they were all chiming in not to do it. You hear a rush of them again this episode, but I can't differentiate a thing.

Everyone keeps saying he's not mentally ill, he just has powers, but this episode just kind of cements that it's probably both, in his case. It would explain that weird jump in his memory when talking to his therapist, maybe another personality of his chimes in and that's why original David can't remember.

Loved the book: The Angriest Little Boy. That's some good poo poo to gently caress up your kid before he goes to bed.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

lokipunk posted:

I'm still not sold on Lenny being real. The idea above about warwolves is pretty cool but I was wondering if we are seeing a Wolfsbane analogue, seeing that Legion originates in New Mutants. Nice to see that Syd's powers involve switching places and bodies on contact, and are not a direct Rogue analogue. Iterested a lot in Vapor, like is it a mutant drug like Kick? and is there any significance to "it's always blue" like is it Dazzler's blood or something?

:D The gently caress is that. Looks like a prison letter.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

well what if syd is real but nobody else is.
I think thats the twist here, especially since melanie tries to convince david that he is not schizophrenic. Or maybe she is xavier projecting himself into david's mind
This show is pretty drat great, Im actually speculating whether this is happening on reality or if its all imagination of david, with flashes of reality mixed in.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm still unsure what to think about this show. The individual parts are extremely well done and really interesting to watch, but I feel like it's not... I don't know, cohesive enough. A disjointed narrative is fine for a story that starts somewhere familiar and then breaks down, but I felt like they never really established a base to work from. There's no way to tell what, if anything, is real from the very beginning. There's no weight to any specific element of it because it's so disorienting and surreal right off the bat, so why invest in anything? Why even speculate? I hope it'll start to become clearer soon, but until then it's like scene salad.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really liked the pilot, and was expecting things to get tuned down a bit after that, but i thought this episode was even better, absolutely loved it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm still unsure what to think about this show. The individual parts are extremely well done and really interesting to watch, but I feel like it's not... I don't know, cohesive enough. A disjointed narrative is fine for a story that starts somewhere familiar and then breaks down, but I felt like they never really established a base to work from. There's no way to tell what, if anything, is real from the very beginning. There's no weight to any specific element of it because it's so disorienting and surreal right off the bat, so why invest in anything? Why even speculate? I hope it'll start to become clearer soon, but until then it's like scene salad.

He's one of the least likely characters to ever get a tv show in the entire X-Men universe, because literally every moment of his existence is a ridiculous mindfuck. Like you can't have his super power and ever truly be sane and human. You get to choose one, and that's it. And I don't know how you convey even a fraction of that while keeping people invested, but it should be fun to see at least.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mulva posted:

He's one of the least likely characters to ever get a tv show in the entire X-Men universe, because literally every moment of his existence is a ridiculous mindfuck. Like you can't have his super power and ever truly be sane and human. You get to choose one, and that's it. And I don't know how you convey even a fraction of that while keeping people invested, but it should be fun to see at least.

The producer said he sees the story as one long movie rather than 8 or 12 individual episodes so I imagine it'll be better to watch in one sitting via streaming or DVD.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

The producer said he sees the story as one long movie rather than 8 or 12 individual episodes so I imagine it'll be better to watch in one sitting via streaming or DVD.
Everyone has said that since House of Cards though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but Hawley is trustworthy

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

lokipunk posted:

I think the significance of the color of the drug is similar to the symbol of the blue flower in literature: otherworldlyness, something unreachable. Color is important obviously, they really drew a lot of attention to the red lights when they switch bodies and the demon has yellow eyes. Interestingly the frog that dispenses the vapor has glowing blue eyes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I kinda feel you. It's definitely hard to explain. Most of the focus has been people trying to get David to figure out how to get a hold of himself both in terms of his powers and his sanity. David himself is torn between trying to understand himself and figuring out what the hell is going on around him physically, but he doesn't know how to separate the physical world from his chaotic mind. The threat of Division 3 is mostly in the background for now, but I'm sure they will play a more focused role in the plot to come.

I think your best bet is to ask this question: Do I like Christopher Nolan movies? If yes, then keep watching. If "Nolan is an overrated piece of poo poo", then don't.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Did anyone make out any interesting from the background noise? One of the PA announcements I think said that an advanced time travel class was cancelled.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

THF13 posted:

Did anyone make out any interesting from the background noise? One of the PA announcements I think said that an advanced time travel class was cancelled.

Oh, that's another thing, if you have a 5.1 surround sound setup in your home, that's the way to watch this show. The mix on this thing is sick-nasty.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

:D The gently caress is that. Looks like a prison letter.

I've never posted in TV before, wasn't sure how spergy people get about spoilers.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

lokipunk posted:

I've never posted in TV before, wasn't sure how spergy people get about spoilers.

He's not saying don't use spoilers, just spoiler the whole drat paragraph and have a precursor saying "Episode 2 discussion" or something. The way you did it is goofy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

While that is definitely true, my issue is more that you engage a viewer by showing your character's "ordinary world" in act one. We got a quick montage of his childhood, but that was it. His psyche wasn't fractured until his powers manifested, if I'm not mistaken, so I feel like some expansion of establishing his character and his life could've gone a long way before shifting into woo batshit territory. Like, until they said the word "sister" I had no idea if the woman seen in his flashbacks was his mother, sister, girlfriend, or caretaker, and it felt like that was on purpose. I like shows with mystery, but I feel there's no reference point to start from, so I'm not as engaged as I could be.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

THF13 posted:

Another was that the cafeteria was a levitation free zone.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sticklefifer posted:

While that is definitely true, my issue is more that you engage a viewer by showing your character's "ordinary world" in act one.

That's exactly what you are getting. There was no happy, normal childhood. By his early twenties he was already 'schizophrenic', and he'd had problems before that, and as we've seen his flashbacks to his childhood don't quite track, and are filled with plenty of disturbing information. I mean when you hear a story like "Sometimes my dad would drive me out into a field to look at the stars, and the stars would talk to me, and I must never share what they say" what made you think he ever had a more normal life? This *is* his normal. You are totally watching the day to day slice of life of David Haller. They aren't doing a one for one of any particular comic, or even taking parts of any of them really, more like a general idea. And as far as the general idea goes, "Always broken" is pretty much par for the course as far as David goes. Poor dude never had a chance.

I'd imagine that it's more about building toward the realization that his powers are actually far more debilitating than schizophrenia, and that they are wildly unequipped to deal with him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well its already pretty clear they have no idea what his powers actually are seeing as he somehow teleported an MRI machine from inside a building to outside. That's not telepathy and telekinesis.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lokipunk posted:

They're not spoilers if it's not a streaming show. And they're definitely not spoilers if you're just speculating.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Well its already pretty clear they have no idea what his powers actually are seeing as he somehow teleported an MRI machine from inside a building to outside. That's not telepathy and telekinesis.
Yeah, I also think they're wrong about "you're not crazy, you have powers!" I think it should be "you're crazy AND have powers!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

That's exactly what you are getting. There was no happy, normal childhood.
That's not what I'm talking about. "Ordinary world" doesn't = happy and normal, it's a storytelling term that means to set up beats at the beginning that give glimpses into who or what you're about to follow - establishing setting, familial relationships, some kind of history, etc. We as viewers were never told anything about David or the history of the fictional world around him outside of that brief montage, and the nature of the show so far is that you already can't trust anything you see.

I don't want it to be the archetypal Hero's Journey either, and I do appreciate the attempt at something new, but even weird and surreal shows with unreliable narrators like Mr. Robot still established Elliot's loneliness, anxiety, and drug abuse before shattering its reality. Hannibal didn't get into the magical realism immediately. Pushing Daisies did, but it told you up front what you were getting with its high-concept plot. With Legion, it's like Pushing Daisies didn't tell you, or that Hannibal started with season 3's abstract surrealism. So far I haven't yet had the sense that anything is supposed to be real, so I'm doubting ALL of it. There were never any ground rules, so there could be a cartoon space dragon living in the tears of a giant in the next episode who tells him that the first two episodes were a dream. As I've said, that's all very intriguing, it looks great and has a great cast and all that, I just haven't been given a reason to invest in it. Welcome to Legion, where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
what the gently caress! I need a frog bong gif asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
yeah, uh, I think the super-therapist crew is used to handling mutants that thought they were crazy, and think David is another instance of this. but David IS brain-broke, just not in the way his doctors thought, because you can't comprehend what's going on in David's head without reference to his powers.