Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

piratepilates posted:

Can you give examples of that? Thousands of teams being impacted by a swap in technology like a new JDK version feels to me like there's a problem inherent in that dependency.

Off the top of my head, just anecdotal stuff from my experiences at an enterprise tech company. The "innovation" team at my day job is working on eliminating at least two such obviously high-impact and bewilderingly low priority legacy problems (these are often ideas with ambiguous ownership) as are the individual teams that explicitly own and have authority over internal services and tools (and are informed enough in their domain to construct educated prioritizations, yet didn't include the obvious process fix)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Bear in mind the original quote:

In 2017, Node is not a technology that requires a year of R&D to put into production.

Yeah. In 2017, we already know that Node.JS is grossly unsuited to a great many workloads, and won't be ready to compete on an equal footing for five to ten years if that.

If you're interested in any of latency, throughput, or accuracy, or some combination thereof, to handle large sums of money, handling any of that canonically in Javascript code is a disaster waiting to happen. Hint: JS numbers are floating point.

The JVM is fast, stable, and IMO at lower risk where dealing with damning fuckups is concerned. Hands-down the best platform for fintech to be built on, all things considered.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke
As far as I can tell, innovation is the spin put on r&d to show that they are invested in delivering bottom line value.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yeah. In 2017, we already know that Node.JS is grossly unsuited to a great many workloads, and won't be ready to compete on an equal footing for five to ten years if that.

If you're interested in any of latency, throughput, or accuracy, or some combination thereof, to handle large sums of money, handling any of that canonically in Javascript code is a disaster waiting to happen. Hint: JS numbers are floating point.

The JVM is fast, stable, and IMO at lower risk where dealing with damning fuckups is concerned. Hands-down the best platform for fintech to be built on, all things considered.

Haven't we always known node was unsuited for real workloads? It checks off way too many of the "this is probably bad" boxes.

Less than 10 years old.
Primary selling point was not needing to learn an appropriate language.
HN incessantly talking about it for more than a month.
Is JavaScript.
Lacks threads.

I'll continue to stick to tech that other people proved. I'd rather solve business problems than work out the kinks of some hipster garbage. It's been a pretty sound strategy in my career so far.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

Can you give examples of that? Thousands of teams being impacted by a swap in technology like a new JDK version feels to me like there's a problem inherent in that dependency.
Deployment processes, security processes, regression testing (for crypto support, different JDKs have different cipher levels of cipher support and some organizations need to re-generate the list for export control purposes if they do business in "hostile" countries), monolithic applications, bad legacy apps relying upon JVM reflection calls coming back in a specific order (yeah, that's a wtf), vendor license agreements for particular JVM releases with Oracle, compatibility with JVM languages and platforms (I'm looking at you, Grails for breaking beyond a certain JDK 7 release, then unbreaking, causing people to think JDK 7 support stopped). I'm literally swapping the JVM around at work on a product with about a decade of solid technical debt and it compounds quite solidly with older stuff being tough to upgrade to modern things despite strong commitment to backwards compatible updates by Oracle and the JSRB. My time estimate is into the 3 month range.

At a certain point, I think it's easier to switch GCC versions or Linux distributions.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

leper khan posted:

Lacks threads.
There have been Web Workers implementations in Node for literally seven years

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

Aren't those spawned as subprocesses?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Paolomania posted:

Aren't those spawned as subprocesses?
This threaded implementation goes back to 2012 and I'm certain there are older ones floating around

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

leper khan posted:

I'll continue to stick to tech that other people proved. I'd rather solve business problems than work out the kinks of some hipster garbage. It's been a pretty sound strategy in my career so far.

I'm expecting that with the bulk of code out there already that needs maintaining/updating, C++/Java/.NET/(maybe RoR) developers won't have much to worry about for the next 2-3 decades. Granted, F500 financial institutions, health care, and government organizations don't usually have nap chambers and free haircuts, but their money is still green.

I prefer to focus my effort on learning how I can be more valuable to a business, not learning the framework du jour that will be abandoned 6 months later.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

B-Nasty posted:

I'm expecting that with the bulk of code out there already that needs maintaining/updating, C++/Java/.NET/(maybe RoR) developers won't have much to worry about for the next 2-3 decades. Granted, F500 financial institutions, health care, and government organizations don't usually have nap chambers and free haircuts, but their money is still green.

I prefer to focus my effort on learning how I can be more valuable to a business, not learning the framework du jour that will be abandoned 6 months later.

I don't know if this is relevant or not to people's career choices, but I have to share.

I work for big health care, and the way we make choices around here is amazing. We're using an expensive solution that does something with big data, ETL, data integration, and a dozen other things. No one likes it.

Recently some directors and VPs asked why we ever decided on this thing, because it's not really what we need.

The answer, I learned, is that the only reason it's being used is because, when this whole project first started, this software was a quick and temporary solution. And then everyone forgot that it was meant to be temporary.

Edit: I don't know if there's a moral in that, but it I think it's this: There is an infinite amount of money to be made in maintaining and fixing other people's bad decisions, if that's the type of career you want.

lifg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 13, 2017

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lifg posted:

this software was a quick and temporary solution. And then everyone forgot that it was meant to be temporary.

Years later you dig through the webserver config to find that everything in your production system actually hinges on index_temp_joe2.php

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

lifg posted:

I don't know if this is relevant or not to people's career choices, but I have to share.

I work for big health care, and the way we make choices around here is amazing. We're using an expensive solution that does something with big data, ETL, data integration, and a dozen other things. No one likes it.

Recently some directors and VPs asked why we ever decided on this thing, because it's not really what we need.

The answer, I learned, is that the only reason it's being used is because, when this whole project first started, this software was a quick and temporary solution. And then everyone forgot that it was meant to be temporary.

Edit: I don't know if there's a moral in that, but it I think it's this: There is an infinite amount of money to be made in maintaining and fixing other people's bad decisions, if that's the type of career you want.

The main thing I learned from this happening a couple of times is that you should not build a temporary/poc system with the assumption that it will be replaced later. Too many times "throwaway" code has become production for me to ever believe a POC is going to be replaced ever again.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
"Temporary" is the closest thing that most enterprise organizations will ever get towards realizing Agile and lean methodologies. It helps explain why they're oftentimes more successful than the "permanent" solutions that show up down the line.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

And shared memory buffers standardized for literally zero years

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

rt4 posted:

Years later you dig through the webserver config to find that everything in your production system actually hinges on index_temp_joe2.php

I'm used to seeing this in small-to-medium sized companies, where I've normally worked. This is the first time I've been at a billion dollar company. They have all the same problems, just with a larger budget.

I didn't expect that, but I guess I should have.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I'm self-sabotaging myself again - gotten an offer in London with 40% wage increase, opportunity to learn new stuff and I turned it down; the part is that I'm doubting myself, and the other one is that the vastness of London kind of scares me - I'd be paying double for a place to live (or triple if I want something similar to where I live now) + I don't have a sense of expenses; also, I've been with the current company with 8 years - I feel responsible for what I do, I like doing what I do, and I've fairly free hand, which I guess I won't have (and now I'm yet again making excuses and making reasons to stay)

I've already written a big list of reasons not to stay here for any longer.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 14, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Nothing wrong with turning down a 40% wage increase when it doesn't cover a 100% increase in your cost of living!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

CPColin posted:

Nothing wrong with turning down a 40% wage increase when it doesn't cover a 100% increase in your cost of living!

Unless your 40% wage increase is 60k and your 100% CoL increase is 20k, for example.

\/ yeah I struggle with reading.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 15, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The March Hare posted:

Unless your 40% wage increase is 60k and your 100% CoL increase is 20k, for example.

That would cover the cost of living.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Yes - as I said - self-sabotaging. For the last days I've been kicking myself over it.

vvv Yes, that's what I was thinking of trying. Will see.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 15, 2017

asur
Dec 28, 2012

canis minor posted:

Yes - as I said - self-sabotaging. For the last days I've been kicking myself over it.

If you did this in the last couple of days you can probably reverse it.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
This may sound like a dumb question, and I think I'm more bitching at the wind than asking a serious question, but how the gently caress do you get across to HR folks that it really doesn't matter much if I don't have experience with that particular piece of tech they're looking for? No, you're right, I don't have five years of Java experience, but when I had a task it took me about an hour to go from nothing to using the Spring framework to make calls to WalMart's public REST API. I know development... platform and language are (largely) window dressing.

I'm in this weird place where I've been a senior dev, doing senior dev stuff, making senior dev salary, but now to move into another job it seems like I either need to find a senior position that's looking for the particular stuff I've been doing for the past five years, which isn't in demand in my area (and nobody seems to want to allow telecommuting) or take a junior position doing something new to me.

Sorry for the bitching, it's just intensely frustrating.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
You can't. It's HR's duty to fill the requirements for a position.

That is why we need to network with other technical people so that the devs can bypass HR's pile of CV and get you straight to interviewing. It's not easy to do but really just adding your colleagues to your linkedIn and checking on the one with whom you get along and would want to work with again. I'm not very good at it either but being social and nice to other help to get referrals. Conferences and industry meetup can go a long way if you have the time for that, but they do tend to be focused on one tech/stack/framework, it might actually be a good thing if you are looking for something new.

I agree it's frustrating, business rules can be such a pain in the rear end.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 16, 2017

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

runupon cracker posted:

This may sound like a dumb question, and I think I'm more bitching at the wind than asking a serious question, but how the gently caress do you get across to HR folks that it really doesn't matter much if I don't have experience with that particular piece of tech they're looking for? No, you're right, I don't have five years of Java experience, but when I had a task it took me about an hour to go from nothing to using the Spring framework to make calls to WalMart's public REST API. I know development... platform and language are (largely) window dressing.

I'm in this weird place where I've been a senior dev, doing senior dev stuff, making senior dev salary, but now to move into another job it seems like I either need to find a senior position that's looking for the particular stuff I've been doing for the past five years, which isn't in demand in my area (and nobody seems to want to allow telecommuting) or take a junior position doing something new to me.

Sorry for the bitching, it's just intensely frustrating.

Either network past them, or work for smaller or younger companies that haven't had the time to encrust themselves in stupid poo poo yet.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 13, 2020

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
If you're just trying to get past an HR block, you can lie. List "Spring" on your resume and either it doesn't come up in the interview or you say "yeah I played around with it a bit; seems easy!" and hope that plays well with the interviewer. There aren't really any repercussions for doing this.

Sometimes, though, when it's a "senior" position and asks for some technology it's because they want someone to lead them on that technology and they're not OK with hiring you and then waiting a couple months for you to learn all the best practices and make all the connections to be that leader.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been really lucky up til now that, with the exception of that time I worked as a comic store clerk, all of my jobs have been through connections. I do have one "in" left with a former colleague of mine, but I'm looking at a good 20-25% pay cut if I go there, which as you might imagine is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

Mniot posted:

If you're just trying to get past an HR block, you can lie. List "Spring" on your resume and either it doesn't come up in the interview or you say "yeah I played around with it a bit; seems easy!" and hope that plays well with the interviewer. There aren't really any repercussions for doing this.

Yeah, I get it, but it feels super gross and I'm just not comfortable with it. Honesty is a big thing for me. I know I've suffered for it, too, but I gotta stick to my principles.

Mniot posted:

Sometimes, though, when it's a "senior" position and asks for some technology it's because they want someone to lead them on that technology and they're not OK with hiring you and then waiting a couple months for you to learn all the best practices and make all the connections to be that leader.

No question, and that's been the case a couple of times when HR hasn't been a hurdle. I understand that companies sometimes need to hit the ground running.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

runupon cracker posted:

Yeah, I get it, but it feels super gross and I'm just not comfortable with it. Honesty is a big thing for me. I know I've suffered for it, too, but I gotta stick to my principles.

Same. I always recommend against lying. But you can work with HR screeners. They are often doing keyword searches, and *want* to pass along good people. So build a few projects with Spring and list it under "Technical Knowledge," and during the interview talk about how you've worked with Spring-like frameworks for a dozen years and have already built a few real-world apps in Spring.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sarehu posted:

"Good mentoring/senior engineer support" is code for blaming others for your own inability to get poo poo done and improve yourself while doing it.

What the gently caress is this?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

What the gently caress is this?
shrughes

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
A response to you making multiple posts about multiple employers unsatisfied with your work output. All the other newbie developers I know don't keep talking about how poor mentorship is the cause of their problems.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So, here's a warning for anybody else interested in SDE stuff at Amazon: regardless of your experience or references, they will make you take a programming test with someone watching you through your webcam the entire time. Not an interview or anything interactive, just a "proctor" from a third-party company operating on the basic assumption that you are a cheating liar and you and your computer need to be monitored the entire time.

I told the Amazon internal recruiter that I found this skeevy and discouraging, and in the span of one day they went from "well, I'm not supposed to tell you, but we really think you'd be a good fit" buddy-buddy phone calls to a two-sentence "we have decided not to move forward with your application" email.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Depends on the team, I think. I had an Amazon programming interview with just a guy on the phone and a shared web-based editor.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Roadie posted:

So, here's a warning for anybody else interested in SDE stuff at Amazon: regardless of your experience or references, they will make you take a programming test with someone watching you through your webcam the entire time. Not an interview or anything interactive, just a "proctor" from a third-party company operating on the basic assumption that you are a cheating liar and you and your computer need to be monitored the entire time.

I told the Amazon internal recruiter that I found this skeevy and discouraging, and in the span of one day they went from "well, I'm not supposed to tell you, but we really think you'd be a good fit" buddy-buddy phone calls to a two-sentence "we have decided not to move forward with your application" email.

Can confirm this as well as they are pushing hard into my city as of late. I had heard about this before and recently had a conversation with an Amazon recruiter and I brought it up. She confirmed it and I just chuckled and told her good luck with those willing to subjugate themselves that.

I wonder what terrible management decisions were made that progressed Amazon into making interviews this terrible.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Roadie posted:

So, here's a warning for anybody else interested in SDE stuff at Amazon: regardless of your experience or references, they will make you take a programming test with someone watching you through your webcam the entire time.
I'm gonna guess that they've had a few time-wasters who cheated to pass the phone screen, and got a free trip to Seattle out of it to completely bomb on the whiteboard test.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

sarehu posted:

A response to you making multiple posts about multiple employers unsatisfied with your work output. All the other newbie developers I know don't keep talking about how poor mentorship is the cause of their problems.

I agree that she may be the common denominator here, but good mentoring is still really really important.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

minato posted:

I'm gonna guess that they've had a few time-wasters who cheated to pass the phone screen, and got a free trip to Seattle out of it to completely bomb on the whiteboard test.

Poor Amazon, having to deal with the same poo poo every other company trying to fill high-paying positions has to deal with. Their overreaction is going to get them more desperate recent grads that can be abused than it will experienced professionals. But then, maybe that's what they want; younger people with stars in their eyes that are willing to take some abuse.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why don't they just hire remote? When Amazon and Microsoft have drained the entire talent pool of a major city, moving a bunch of people in seems like a huge waste. Besides that, it seems like a huge risk to live in Seattle or San Francisco when one of those giants eventually goes under.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

Poor Amazon, having to deal with the same poo poo every other company trying to fill high-paying positions has to deal with. Their overreaction is going to get them more desperate recent grads that can be abused than it will experienced professionals. But then, maybe that's what they want; younger people with stars in their eyes that are willing to take some abuse.

I used to work at Amazon a decade ago, and that's certainly what they wanted then; by the time I had 2 years' experience I had more seniority than >50% of the devs there.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

geeves posted:

Can confirm this as well as they are pushing hard into my city as of late. I had heard about this before and recently had a conversation with an Amazon recruiter and I brought it up. She confirmed it and I just chuckled and told her good luck with those willing to subjugate themselves that.

I wonder what terrible management decisions were made that progressed Amazon into making interviews this terrible.

I think its a trend, Epic did the same thing to my girlfriend when she was applying (for a non developer position to boot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rt4 posted:

Why don't they just hire remote? When Amazon and Microsoft have drained the entire talent pool of a major city, moving a bunch of people in seems like a huge waste. Besides that, it seems like a huge risk to live in Seattle or San Francisco when one of those giants eventually goes under.

Because remote employees might not work every single hour they're on the clock!

I think this is part of why tech companies are opening offices in many more cities even outside of the traditional hubs. The rent has gone insane near silicon Valley and many people are just refusing to move there. Or just plain can't. Plus there is cheap office space aplenty in some lesser thought of cities. Amazon just opened an office in pittsburgh and Google has already been there a while. Granted cmu being a thing is part of it but still...that something that has to break is breaking.