Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

Does anyone know why Ofice 365 has been making ALL of our mobile users enter their password again the past couple days? It's been about 4 months since we started using it, and I don't know if there's some password confirmation requirement every X days or what. We don't have a password change policy, I know that.
Maybe a mobile app got updated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My Outlook app on Android prompted me for a password yesterday, but then I got distracted and an hour later it wasn't asking any more. There was an Okta outage last week too that was triggered by a combination of spike in O365 auth requests + misconfiguration on Okta's end = death. https://support.okta.com/help/articles/Knowledge_Article/Root-Cause-Analysis-Service-Disruption-02022017

O365 is so loving poo poo. Looking at locking down g suite and just migrating to it for email and calendar only with everything else turned off. Their platform is looking rock solid right now, and end users can still use Outlook.

edit: and let's be honest, even a 'perfect' on-prem environment is still going to suck because Calendaring in Exchange is just broken.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 9, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We just switched to Gsuite across the board and left Office/Exchange completely and it's really good.

There were a few people whining about not having outlook but they came around. Even my stubborn as gently caress CEO.

The collaboration tools are great too and Sheets/Docs are surprisingly advanced.

I'm sure if you're an excel warrior then you need that but otherwise, I do t miss Office/Exchange at all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Maybe a mobile app got updated?

I thought that might be the case, but one of our users has the Nine app and had the same problem. So far nobody with apple devices. I've also heard something about people having trouble with Desktop outlook, but haven't confirmed it.

The Okta info seems promising, but I'd expect to find people on twitter complaining about it.

It sucks because nobody here knows their 365 password. We don't have it linked with AD, so I just made everyone secure, unique passwords and set up their phones and Outlook myself.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 9, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Matt Zerella posted:

We just switched to Gsuite across the board and left Office/Exchange completely and it's really good.

There were a few people whining about not having outlook but they came around. Even my stubborn as gently caress CEO.

The collaboration tools are great too and Sheets/Docs are surprisingly advanced.

I'm sure if you're an excel warrior then you need that but otherwise, I do t miss Office/Exchange at all.

We're definitely not going to use Docs, Drive or anything else at migration. We're going with a narrow approach and look to opening up later if ever. Everything we're hearing from peers and consultants is 'lock it down otherwise Drive and Sites will get messy fast and will be a compliance and management nightmare'. We use another SaaS platform for document management anyhow and avoided SharePoint so it's no biggie.

Funny you mention excel warriors; We had a call with a Gartner analyst and that was one thing he mentioned to be cautious about with Google Docs; it's lacking powerful Excel features. But we're going to buy volume licenses for Office and stick with that anyway. Moving our company off Office? That dog won't hunt monsignor.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 9, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

It sucks because nobody here knows their 365 password. We don't have it linked with AD, so I just made everyone secure, unique passwords and set up their phones and Outlook myself.
Oh, dear.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How not to handle email setup literally anything in IT for $500, Alex.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah the AD/o365 Sync is dead easy to set up. I'm not sure why you would do that :/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also for what it's worth, I've got my O365 account linked to the Mail app on my iPhone, and haven't been prompted to update its password. I also haven't gotten any complaints from users about this happening, but we've got DirSyncAzure AD Connect set up so they all know their passwords.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

One company I work with is on g suite and complains about lack of GAL alternative. Which I think is weird because it's pretty rare for me to see people use GAL at all on Exchange.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

One company I work with is on g suite and complains about lack of GAL alternative. Which I think is weird because it's pretty rare for me to see people use GAL at all on Exchange.

Yeah that's weird considering you just start typing their name and it pops up automatically? Even groups.

I think I used the GAL one in 10 years here.

It has its quirks and a few shortcomings (like how Gchat doesn't auto populate?) but so far I've been really happy with it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you retain Outlook, there's this: https://support.google.com/a/answer/166870?hl=en

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I swing between hating G Suite and loving it depending on whether I am trying to do anything semi-advanced with it at the time. If I am not trying to perform any weird admin stuff then it's great since it works beautifully pretty much all the time, and my users are all happy to use the web UI. They seem to have woken up in the last 12 months as well and started putting staff back onto the product rather than leaving it to stagnate.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I may have figured out why people are being prompted for password on Android. It looks like maybe the System Webview browser had an update, which messed with saved credentials with O365. I had one phone today that stopped receiving emails altogether. Resetting the account didn't fix it. Re-adding the account just gave "an error occurred." It was only when I reinstalled the app that it said the browser was out of date and didn't support the login page. Manually updating the Webview browser let him log in again.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Am I the only one that thinks a browser engine update pushed quietly by google is way scarier than the actual browser app itself? You'd have to be pretty diligent to notice that vs chrome app.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress it, let's test out the exchange high availability in the middle of the day and see how well our load balancer does.

Rebooting cas servers for patching. :getin:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm starting a s4b thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810240

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Hey anyone here know any/been an Exchange Premier Field Engineer? Over the past years I've met a couple in passing that I was really impressed by and it seems like they have an awesome job. It's not like I know these guys very well (or I'd be spewing words at them instead of the SA Exchange thread), only met them a couple days/hours at a time. They were all super knowledgeable, helpful and confident about their advice and it kind of made me want to also do their job. Recently, I worked a while with someone from another company who had been a PFE for a couple years and while he was hugely more experienced (like 10 more years of work experience), we would almost be equally knowledgable on the problems we encountered planning/performing a migration and were both relied on to give advice to the org we worked for. This made me wonder if, maybe, I could apply. But I might also be hugely overestimating myself hence this stupidly long question. I could ask that ex-PFE but because he's pretty close with my manager it might get complicated and or weird if word got out I'm applying elsewhere.

So, what I'd love to know is 1) how hardcore should my knowledge be before applying? I've done about 3 years of Exchange ('10-'16 + Online) and migrating them back and forth and planning deployments sometimes. Apart from that a bit of Lync/SfB Server and a LOT of Powershell and general MS domain stuff but I rarely do super esoteric things 2) Is support for Exchange 07 still big thing? It's mentioned as either a plus or necessary in the ad (it's vague) but so is 'a proficiency in PowerShell 2.0' :emo: so I don't know about that.

I know being comfortable around technical as well as non-technical people and adjusting your way of explaining things is also a must, but that is something I have to be/do already. I don't do a lot of teaching currently, but I do instruct coworkers in small groups or one on one and give presentations to coworkers sometimes so that might help? Anyways any input would be appreciated.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone used DKIM with Office 365 and a third-party service like Mimecast? According to technet, you can disable Office 365's DKIM policy, but it apparently will get turned back on without warning. Turning O365 DKIM on would be needs-suiting if sending the mail through Mimecast will alter the email and invalidate the signature.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spitballing here, but would a rule on outbound messages that removes the DKIM header do the trick? Either that or some way to get Mimecast to throw away the DKIM information and recalculate it before sending it out, their KB is really sparse on the details here.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Has anyone used DKIM with Office 365 and a third-party service like Mimecast? According to technet, you can disable Office 365's DKIM policy, but it apparently will get turned back on without warning. Turning O365 DKIM on would be needs-suiting if sending the mail through Mimecast will alter the email and invalidate the signature.

we have same setup as you (o365+mimecast doing dkim). I waited 30 seconds for ECP to load to tell you that dkim is disabled on our o365 side. hope that helps :tipshat:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

we have same setup as you (o365+mimecast doing dkim). I waited 30 seconds for ECP to load to tell you that dkim is disabled on our o365 side. hope that helps :tipshat:
I disabled it last week, and it still says it's disabled, but the article says it'll get turned back on at some point. Maybe it won't? :iiam:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

"will turn back on" = "when we have to roll back the environment because of a unnoticed bug".

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

"will turn back on" = "when we have to roll back the environment because of a unnoticed bug".
I was thinking when they update the server

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

I was thinking when they update the server

There was an instance where it got enabled for all customers back in the past, because O365 didn't support DKIM at first launch, and when the feature was finally added, few existing customers turned it on. MS then turned it on for everybody that 'qualified', but they did a piss poor job of determining if it would break a clients configuration.

I think the only time you'd see it turned on now is if you interacted with support in a way that they turned it on as part of troubleshooting, or you environment config got reset or rolled back somehow, both of which *should* get you a notice on your admin panel.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How do you 'qualify' without manually adding the CNAMEs required for O365's DKIM?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will sign using your .onmicrosoft.com domain

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

How do you 'qualify' without manually adding the CNAMEs required for O365's DKIM?

Those were sarcastic air quotes because I don't think microsoft ever checked anything, just went through and flipped that bit.

And a whole lot of companies use O365 for everything, including nameservers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
In Exchange Online, in order to publish a form to the Organizational Forms Library, it looks like you need Owner permissions? PublishingEditor didn't give me the ability to install an .fdm but I don't know if anyone else has any experience with this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

wa27 posted:

Why do you hate yourself?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A month or two ago my boss didn't believe that emails could be filtered into the Clutter folder automatically, and today he's implemented a transport rule to keep emails from some HR survey bullshit out of the Clutter folder.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

A month or two ago my boss didn't believe that emails could be filtered into the Clutter folder automatically, and today he's implemented a transport rule to keep emails from some HR survey bullshit out of the Clutter folder.

Clutter? Spam for the europeans? You can do some pretty amazing things through transport rules, but sometimes using them feel like i'm putting lazy dev technical debt on a new card.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

incoherent posted:

Clutter? Spam for the europeans? You can do some pretty amazing things through transport rules, but sometimes using them feel like i'm putting lazy dev technical debt on a new card.

Nah clutter is worse/better. It's a folder where Exchange can/could* put stuff it considered unimportant. The junk mail folder is basically worthless (saying this too politely) without putting some serious effort into configuring additional policies and 3rd party filtering software

Clutter is the opposite of that because it machine-learns which kinds of mail you tend to read and which you ignore. After a while you would start to receive 'less' mail, because the rest would be deposited in a separate folder. How very modern, I hear the Gmail crowd yawning (from the year 2013) but hey! It worked more or less ok and was a decent first iteration. There were some technical problems with false positives, but those weren't too bad. It could prove (darkly) humorous in some instances too, like posted above or the time I was sent to see what caused the row between a pretty bad team lead and his team. He was giving them a hard time for not informing him of some random thing or other while the team obviously said they sent him a message. It turned out that they did, he just never ever read messages coming from their mailbox.

So it was fine except when it was not. There, usually at least one of the three factors that recur like clockwork in companies new to rapid releases of their end user software happened

1. Unaware IT guys who miss/ignore/underestimate new feature announcements cause they haven't been on the O365 platform that long and didn't need to pay v close attention to new features when patching their on-premise servers.
2. Confused users, (several of whom disregard those notifications anyway because they're busy or 'don't understand this technical crap'
3. The big one was that there was also not a lot of post deployment notification. The clutter folder was kind of hidden just above the junk mail but below all user-made content. It lacked a huge arrow and some bold, yellow marked words screaming: 'SUP BUDDY - ALL THE CRAP MAIL YOU ALWAYS IGNORE IS NOW OVER HERE ------>>>

People calling IT support in a panic ('mail is disappearing') in numbers I didn't really expect either made Clutter an option to turn off by default, no matter how well it worked in other cases. Apart from a few exchange MVPs singing its praise I heard similar from a lot other freelance/consulting colleagues. I have to add that I mainly work at biggish, old-fashioned, IT-follows-business shops. At some point they'll probably get used to the iterative releases MS are doing, but a lot of these folks are wishing they could go back to a place in time where this would bother them only when they upgraded their server version to the next (skipping a few and possibly postponing change FOREVER!). Alas!

*These days I thought it got replaced on all tenants but apparently that's yet to be completed. The iteration is called Focused Inbox (like the one on the Outlook for Android/iOS app) and it's a big improvement mainly because it tackles problem no. 3 above. The algorithm may or may not work better but at least you get a way to access both kinds of mail and a fairly obvious notification that tells you about messages that arrive into the inbox not currently selected. All in the center of your screen, too.

E. hosed around a bunch because I goddamn love effortposting

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I have a customer who went with Office365 instead of on-premises, and it's quickly revealing to me the limitations of o365 vs Exchange. They were previously using their small ISP's email domain (<smalltownname>.net)for all users over pop/smtp, and were running concurrently in outlook with their new o365. It's time to shut off the ISP email, since they don't even use the ISP for internet any more, but they won't forward the email for users to their new addresses. They've offered to forward all those users' emails to a single IP address though. It's hard for me to see how that's any easier or better for the ISP since they still have to specify that for each address, but whatever. The customer doesn't have a super great relationship with this ISP, and I don't really either. I was able to setup a relay in IIS on a server to get their internal servers that can't authenticate to send outbound through o365 as a smarthost, but I guess what I need now is some lightweight SMTP server to run on-Premises that can receive mail destined to their old email addresses, and map the old address to the new address and forward it.

I'm assuming the IIS SMTP service can't do this, but I've seen programs on old servers that could do something similar but pulling from a POP account. Anyone have a recommendation? They've seen this coming for a while, but the C-levels don't understand of course. I had to push them hard to just switch to email on a domain they own.

edit: I guess one other question is could I add the <smalltownname>.net domain to o365? Obviously I'm not going to get the ISP to put in MX records, but if I have them put in the MS=ms######## txt record would that be enough to receive inbound mail if I have the ISP forward it to on 0365 IP address? I'm assuming not, but hey, gotta figure out something.

Cheech Marinade fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 10, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So you want an SMTP server to receive messages addressed to a domain that you can't prove ownership of (due to it being the ISP - and this rules a lot of cloud options out), and then to rewrite the address to one that would be accepted by Office 365, before delivering it to your tenant? I know you could do this with the IIS SMTP server but the requirement to rewrite the 'to' address rules that out.

Edit: If you can get the domain confirmed then you can just submit messages straight to the MX record that the setup tells you to use, but Office 365 doesn't let a domain exist in more than one tenant, and I cannot find any clear information on whether emails sent from other Office 365 users to this domain will be delivered directly into your tenant, or whether they perform an MX lookup.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Sounds like you need to get rid of that domain asap. I'd consider putting an autoreply on these addresses that your ISP hosts informing customers that you're going to be using your other, cloud-ready domain exclusively in X weeks/months. After that time, your problems are gone.

Otherwise a lot of mail servers support​ 'simple' address rewriting where you swap out one domain for another but IIS probably doesn't. You might not want to increase your dependency on these kind of wobbly forwarding mechanisms however, they have a tendency to fail at the worst possible time. Like in a coupele months (depending on how that smarthost you mentioned is set up) when a bunch of these solutions are gonna crash and burn:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2016/03/29/important-notice-for-office-365-email-customers-who-have-configured-connectors/

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Alright, so I've got what I think is probably a dumb question, but Google ain't giving me much help and I didn't see this in an (admittedly brief) skim through this thread.

If you have an Exchange 2010 DAG with 2 members, and one member fails and you have to restore the VM from an older backup (~48 hours or so, this was part of a disaster scenario so the more up-to-date local backups were inaccessible), will Exchange be smart and realize that the restored server's databases are old and NOT try to overwrite the newer databases when it comes back up? Or do I need to restore the VM, strip its network card, delete its databases, and make new database copies?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kaninrail posted:

Alright, so I've got what I think is probably a dumb question, but Google ain't giving me much help and I didn't see this in an (admittedly brief) skim through this thread.

If you have an Exchange 2010 DAG with 2 members, and one member fails and you have to restore the VM from an older backup (~48 hours or so, this was part of a disaster scenario so the more up-to-date local backups were inaccessible), will Exchange be smart and realize that the restored server's databases are old and NOT try to overwrite the newer databases when it comes back up? Or do I need to restore the VM, strip its network card, delete its databases, and make new database copies?
Don't take snapshots of Exchange servers, don't restore Exchange servers from snapshots.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

anthonypants posted:

Don't take snapshots of Exchange servers, don't restore Exchange servers from snapshots.

These are Veeam backups, not VMware snaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't restore the backup, build a new server with the same name and:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638206(v=exchg.141).aspx