Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I like the priest who don't wanna let anyone gently caress his girl... I hope he kicks this guys rear end. But the assassin guys gotta win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

I like the priest who don't wanna let anyone gently caress his girl... I hope he kicks this guys rear end. But the assassin guys gotta win.

While I think the assassin will probably win, I'm actually not 100% sure. I'd give the priest maybe a 10-20% chance. There's clearly something special going on with him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the other guy is the murderer from prison or is that someone else?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's someone else. You'll know him when you see him, IIRC he's still wearing prison stripes.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Ytlaya posted:

While I think the assassin will probably win, I'm actually not 100% sure. I'd give the priest maybe a 10-20% chance. There's clearly something special going on with him.

Normally I'd say it could be either but Ohma clearly needs to fight him to pay off all the buildup with the family.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Jose posted:

the other guy is the murderer from prison or is that someone else?

The prison guy is old and horseshoe bald with a beard iirc

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

RatHat posted:

That's someone else. You'll know him when you see him, IIRC he's still wearing prison stripes.

He's wearing normal clothes and is sitting with the other spectators now. He's the one who explained Haruo getting thinner last fight.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

The prison guy is old and horseshoe bald with a beard iirc

K. Flaps posted:

He's wearing normal clothes and is sitting with the other spectators now. He's the one who explained Haruo getting thinner last fight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Haha "Medically impossible". What manga does he think he's in?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, he was a student at a prestigious medical university before he went all murder happy.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

RatHat posted:

Haha "Medically impossible". What manga does he think he's in?

Medically impossible, so what

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Ytlaya posted:

Lemonhead guy looks far more similar (though I'm not sure why the character would be based off of him). His similarity to Nester isn't as significant (and there'd be no reason to make his head to side if he was aiming to make him look similar). Not to mention that, more importantly, it seems Nester was just from the American Nintendo Power magazine and it would be strange if the author was familiar with a character from the American Nintendo Power that most Americans aren't even familiar with.

The artist lived in America for many years. But Lemonhead is probably it.

chefscientist fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 17, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chefscientist posted:

The artist lived in America for many years. But Lemonhead is probably it.

Wait, is this by the ketchup ninja guy?

edit: The art looks almost the same, so I imagine so.

vvv Ah sorry, missed that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The art looks almost the same, so I imagine so.

From the OP's own mouth.

quote:

Kengan Ashura is a 2015 manga from Sandrovich Yabako (who also does Danberu nan kiro moteru?) and artist Daromeon (from Ketchup Ninja) and has been called the Baki of the 21th Millenium! It runs on the Ura Sunday Magazine, has won a poll to receive an anime last year and has a hundred loving raw chapters before the scanlators catch up!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't that the case with all of them? They all have weird hidden poo poo going for them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
usually the "ohoho my fighter is sure to win" stuff comes from their employer. this time, the vicious ancient petrified chairman is the one saying it. he doesn't have a vested interest in the outcome of this match.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So I do think Kure guy is gonna win just from story perspective. But I will not discount Robinson just yet because there is always room for plot twists and such.

Either way this is gonna be some good over the top poo poo.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Remember that fighters and corporations are not kicked off the island after they lose (I think), which allows story stuff involving them to still happen even if they're not fighting in matches themselves

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The final fight will be between Raian and Rihito. I won't hear otherwise.

Regarding Rihito, I feel like he'd benefit from learning some sort of grappling martial art, since given his superhuman grip strength it would be virtually impossible to break out of his grip.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

El Burbo posted:

Remember that fighters and corporations are not kicked off the island after they lose (I think), which allows story stuff involving them to still happen even if they're not fighting in matches themselves

This is correct. One of the best things about Kengan Asura is that defeated opponents usually come back instead of disappearing forever like most manga. Makes it feel like the world doesn't just revolve around the protagonist.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

This is correct. One of the best things about Kengan Asura is that defeated opponents usually come back instead of disappearing forever like most manga. Makes it feel like the world doesn't just revolve around the protagonist.

Yeah, this series is really good about giving defeated opponents another chance to appear.

Rihito - Previously beaten by Ohma, now awaiting his match in the tournament and also CEO of his own Kengan company.

Medicine Man - Previously beaten by Ohma, now an infiltrator on the Kengan tournament island.

Sekibayashi - Previously beaten by Ohma, now awaiting his match in the tournament.

Jerry Tyson - Previously beaten by Ohma, now a play-by-play commentator in the tournament.

Hassad - Previously beaten by Ohma Kengan chairman's bodyguards, now having fun chilling out on the Kengan tournament island after being rescued from the sea by Medicine Man.

Himuro - Previously beaten by Kaneda, now chilling out with Kaneda and Okubo while they await their matches.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 17, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hassad wasn't beaten by Ohma, he got wrecked by the bodyguards.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

AtomikKrab posted:

So I do think Kure guy is gonna win just from story perspective. But I will not discount Robinson just yet because there is always room for plot twists and such.

Either way this is gonna be some good over the top poo poo.

If the Kure loses, what was the point of Yamashita's goon son and the Kure can as a whole?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
3 posts up

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

After reading Ketchup Ninja, I totally understand how Adam Dudley came to be. :911:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The nicknames are so good in KA. I'm rooting for The Exterminating Vicar, he actually seems like he has a chance.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Haru better come back. :colbert:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whats ketchup ninja about and is it worth reading?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

whats ketchup ninja about and is it worth reading?

it's about a ninja lady who lives in America and goes to school, so there's a lot of humor about all the cultural differences between Japan and America. It's not bad.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Haru better come back. :colbert:

:yeah:

Also, I read ahead, because I'm impatient and this manga owns. Here's a few non-spoiler preview images. I'll put them in spoiler tags, just to be safe:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 19, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you reading japanese or korean or just ignoring the text?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose posted:

I'm just an ignorant American, so I can't read Korean or Japanese. Similar to Baki Dou, Kengan Ashura is pretty straight forward, so it isn't too difficult to figure out what's happening in the RAWs, especially with the tournament format.

Ketchup Ninja was translated into English though, if you're interested.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jose, I think you'd enjoy Danberu nan kiro moteru? by Sandrovich, the same author. It's really good. It's been translated into english, and the writing is pretty funny.

I won't post preview pics, since it's got a lot of NSFW/lewd content, but there's some crossover between that manga and Kengan Ashura.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can confirm Ketchup Ninja is good.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ketchup Ninja is a pretty good short and funny read and is pretty accurate with a lot of American cultural things since the author actually lived here.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

Kengan is virtually unknown in Korea, as far as I can find, and believe me, I've tried really hard to find it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I was tempted so I "read" through the raws too. I look forward to reading the translated versions in 2019.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RatHat posted:

Yeah I was tempted so I "read" through the raws too. I look forward to reading the translated versions in 2019.

Have some patience like the rest of us. Who are too lazy to go look for the raws

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The easiest raws to find are in Vietnamese somehow

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first blows are exchanged in the Raian vs Mokichi Match - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-007-Ch-053?id=347643

RatHat posted:

Pretty much every character is crazy in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I honestly think Robinson might take it, leaving the kures to take a more behind the scenes role for the tournament. The kure clan seems important to the story, but none of the important ones seem to be on the bracket. This guy doesn't seem to have much to him other than "is really crazy and obnoxious"