Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I returned to the diner and sat myself at the table near the window once again.

: Phew...!

Without thinking, I couldn't help letting out a big sigh.

: Oh, what are you guys gonna do about your swimsuits? You aren't allowed to change in that beach house, you know?
: Y-Yes...that's why we're already wearing them.
: What's underneath this uniform isn't panties, it's a swimsuit!
: Well, that's obvious. I also came wearing a swimsuit too.
: ...Huh? Really?
: Which reminds me...you're not wearing yours yet, huh? Then you gotta go to the bathroom so you can change!

: Here ya go, this is yours.
: Wh-What is this thing!?
: U-Um...it may be rude of me to say this but...
: Th-That...looks a little too daring!

: What if something falls out? If this is airing live, you're totally gonna get censored by the network!
: Don't worry! Even at its worst, it won't turn into a live action drama!
: That's not the problem...
: What is it then!? Are you telling me you don't wanna match with me!?
: I-It's matching!? Then I *definitely* don't want to wear it!

: Ughhh...I believe fighting is bad...so let's stop...
: Things are heating up something fierce. When's everyone gonna come? I hope they come soon.

And as she said that, Ibuki peeked out the window.

: Huh!?
: ...What is it?
: Look outside! Outside!

What's...outside...?

: Isn't that...Hiyoko?
: Jeez, don't get my hopes up. I thought it was Miss Sonia.
: Doesn't she...seem a little strange?
: If I had to describe it as a song title...it'd be "Sprint of Tears"!
: Huh? It looks like she's running from the beach. Did something happen?

Despite our questions...Hiyoko ran by the front of the diner at full speed.

: She totally ran past us but...wasn't she part of the Beach Crew?
: A-Apparently she can't swim so she turned us down...
: But she... Didn't she come running from the beach?
: I-I'm sorry...I don't really know all the details about that...
: Well, it just means women are full of surprises.

: Mahiru's the type to totally come, but she surprisingly turned us down too!
: Mahiru...she did? She turned it down? It's so unexpected of her not to join in an event like this. In fact, she'd totally plan this sort of thing...
: But it can't be helped! Apparently she wasn't really feeling well!

: Um...I'm terribly sorry to continue this topic but...why was Hiyoko...crying?
: Why are you asking us...?

But if she was sprinting away from the beach and crying... Something's definitely wrong.

: Hey...

: When'd you get here so suddenly!?

Kazuichi suddenly shouted, and what he was looking at was...near the diner's entrance. As I turned around...

: My my, how disappointing. I thought if I came early I'd be the first one to arrive.

I couldn't keep myself...from staring like an idiot.

: Whoaaaa! Chiaki, you came wearing only your swimsuit!?
: I didn't want to carry it with me. If I did, it'd be a serious burden.

S-Serious burden...? That's a total exaggeration...

: But...even though you didn't wanna carry anything, it looks like you're carrying something.
: Instead of bringing lunch for everyone...I brought ice cream.
: Um... It's not like I'm gonna turn it down but... Ice cream is completely different from lunch. I don't think it can be used as a substitute...
: Also...I was thinking of stuff we could all do at the beach together...so I brought a board game, too!
: Hmm, should we play it even though we came all this way to go to the beach? ...Nah!
: ...I see, that's disappointing...

: But, how should I say this... Is this what "gap moe" is supposed to be!? For someone normally so quiet to wear such a daring swimsuit, it makes you a little excited...right, Hajime?
: Well...um, I don't know...

That's what I said, but my heartbeat was actually getting faster and faster.

: Seriously man...I never expected Chiaki to have such huge jugs...
: :doh:

: ...Jugs?
: I-I didn't say that just now! It was Hajime! He's a pervert, you know!
: Wh-What are you saying!?
: I mean, I only have eyes for Miss Sonia! I've dreamed of going out with a blond lady ever since I was a kid!
: ...The size is a little small...but this was the only swimsuit that fit me. ...I don't look good in it?
: ...Huh? Well, no...I guess...you look good...

: Then I'm glad...I guess.
: Muah-haha! Wearing a bikini is suuuuuure daring! And you get bonus points for wearing a white one! My heart's not just thumping, it's thumping all sporadically like "Badump, thump! Thump, badump!"
: It's probably a heart attack...

???: H-Hey...I kept ya waitin'...

We heard a voice as the diner door slowly opened, and the person who walked through it was...

: H-Hey... Sorry to...keep you guys waitin'...
: Eeeeeeek! Akane!? Wh-What happened to you!?
: Wh-What...? Is somethin' wrong...? I made sure to...wear a swimsuit this time...
: ...Not that, your wounds!
: I-It wouldn't be strange if we nicknamed you "Carrie" right now!
: O-Oh... You're talkin' about these... Heh, on my way over here, I happened to run into...coach Nekomaru... And when that happens...I gotta fight him, y'know!?

Why...does she have to do that...?

: A-Are you really all right? Your head...it looks like it's split in half.
: Well, it'll heal as long as I rub some spit in it, right...?
: You're totally playing up the power of human spit!
: Hehe...I'm all fired up now... I never knew such a strong opponent even existed...!

: A-Anyway, you need to be treated! And you also need your wounds sterilized... Akane, please come with me!

With an unusually forceful demeanor, Mikan pulled Akane into the bathroom.

: That's why she's the Ultimate Nurse... Well, it's gonna be okay if we leave it to her...

???: ...What is all this ruckus?

: ...Oh? Who is it this time?

: ...Hm? Hajime and Kazuichi... Why are you two here?
: Hey... Aren't you breathing pretty heavily?
: ...I just did a little swimming.
: A little swimming...
: I swam around the island for about three hours.
: That's too obvious for me not to comment on! That's definitely *not* "a little swimming"!
: Why were you already swimming!? You guys are about to swim now, right!? Isn't that why you're all meeting up!?
: It wasn't for my enjoyment... I was trying to see if I could swim to a different island.
: ...Huh!?
: But I couldn't find any other islands. It seems it may be difficult to leave this island by swimming...
: If you didn't see anything after you swam for three hours... It's more than difficult, it's impossible...
: Yeah, that may be true...

: Hey Hajime...
: ...Hm? What?
: A woman with wet, slicked back hair is pretty fine too, huh!
: ...
: And this body too...man...

: Young ladies are sure well-endowed nowadays... Is that a challenge against all the women in the world?
: Fine! Ibuki accepts that challenge with the power of technology! Time to pump these puppies full of silicon!
: ...Don't say such asinine things.

: Anyway, it looks like everyone is almost here...and it's already past 4:00 p.m... If so, all that's left is...

???: Ah, I am terribly sorry for my delay.

: Waaaaaaaaaaaaah! Miss Sonia's here!

He's doubled down on excitement!?

: All right! What kind of sexy swimsuit is Miss Sonia wearing!?

: Gyaaaah! It's a wetsuit!
: It is to prevent sunburn. I do not want my skin to be sun damaged. However, as I have never worn a wetsuit before, I had a hard time putting it on, which resulted in my delay. ...Really, it is...my bad.

: I see... A wetsuit... Well... Miss Sonia does have beautiful, white skin...
: But that tight outfit of hers is amaaaazing! Just what I'd expect from a 100% purebred princess!

This guy...he's quick to recover...

: Um...anyway, why are you two here?
: ...I'll answer that, Miss Sonia.
: I'll be honest: if you're gonna go to the beach, please let us come with you!

: Well...this was originally supposed to be a girls-only outing to strengthen our friendship with each other...
: Do you think you can make an exception!? Pretty please!?
: Well, it's okay. It's not like there'd be any problems even if there are some boys.
: You're right...they came all the way here. It would be bad if we made them leave.
: Ack, Miss Sonia is just soooo kind...!

: All right, now that it's decided, let's get going!
: But Akane's wounds are still being treated...
: Shut up! There's no way I can just stand around! I-I'll go on ahead and prepare! I'll set up the parasol, and prepare the drinks...
: I mean it, I promise I'll give it my all to serve you so everyone has fun! *leaves*

With an abnormal amount of gusto, he bolted out of the diner.

: U-Um...

I'm surrounded by girls in swimsuits... This is...a little awkward.

: I-I...I should go help Kazuichi too...

As I mumbled my excuse, I ran out of the diner, almost as if I were escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Every swimsuit picture has the Pork Burger pig next to it.

If that's not the team lampshading this then I don't know what is.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Hold on a second. I think I cut the previous update a bit too early...

*Ding dong dong ding*

: Huh...? Th-That bell just now...
: Could it be...!?

: A body has been discovered! Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the class trial will begin!

: A-A body...? Th-That's a lie! Impossible!

???: S-Someone... Someone come hereeeeeeeeeeeee!

: ...Tch!

That was...definitely Kazuichi's voice just now!

: ...I-It sounds like he's nearby!

: Did...did that scream just now come from in here...?

Cautiously, I reached my hand toward the doorknob. As I twisted the doorknob, and tried to open the door...

*Clatter clatter clatter...!*

: ...It won't open?

It's locked...no, this is differnt. It's like something is blocking the door from the other side...

: ...What does this mean?

Kazuichi's scream... Did I really hear it coming from here?

No, what am I being nervous about...? There's...no reason for me to be nervous.

A body discovery announcement...!? I won't believe it...! I'm not going to believe it... There's no way I'll believe it.

: Who would believe something like that!?

As I raised my voice, I swiftly stepped inside the beach house.

Music fades out.

: ...I...won't...believe it...

The moment I stepped inside the beach house...

Those words...mercilessly shattered into pieces.

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO :siren:

If...this was all a dream... When did I...when did I begin dreaming?

If this is reality... Why is Mahiru on the floor covered in blood?

I...couldn't understand anything that was in front of me... And I couldn't believe in anything.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
drat it.

Mahiru was my favorite character. Most of the students are outrageously over the top, and it was nice having someone around who was fairly normal and sane, AND also still had a distinct personality. This bites.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can we rename Kazuichi to Steve 2.0?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I didn't put anything into the deadpool, but I really didn't think Miharu was going to get killed since she seems like a good foil to the wacky characters in this. :smith:

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Fabulousvillain posted:

I didn't put anything into the deadpool, but I really didn't think Miharu was going to get killed since she seems like a good foil to the wacky characters in this. :smith:

All the more reason she was doomed.

The normal ones...they don't do too well in these games.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Cangelosi posted:

All the more reason she was doomed.

The normal ones...they don't do too well in these games.

Except protagonists, but it's kinda hard to just swap who the protagonist is. Wait no I guess it isn't hard to do that either, Hajime's chances just shot up.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rarity posted:

ugh, good thing Steve's dead by now, it would''ve made that scene much more painful.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Robindaybird posted:

ugh, good thing Steve's dead by now, it would''ve made that scene much more painful.

Either way, Kazuichi wouldn't have invited him. Kazuichi is a creep about Sonia but even he thought Steve was gross.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016
I actually suspected that Mahiru was the next to fall as soon as they started noticing her disappearence. She probably photographed something she shouldn't have.
by the way, a lot of people is suspect this time: running away Hiyoko, bloody Akane, sweating Pekoyama, swimsuit Sonia (covering from some injuries?) who is also the organizer of the beach day, disappearing Fuyuhiko, suspect-by-default Kazuichi...we'll see.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Qrr posted:

Either way, Kazuichi wouldn't have invited him. Kazuichi is a creep about Sonia but even he thought Steve was gross.

Yeah, Steve would have involved some actual sexual assault in his beach plans, whereas Kazuichi's plan for achieving teen nookie is just so woefully ineffectual and non-threatening it just comes around as hilariously pathetic. I mean, hoping that the girls come around in swimsuits so that you "just meet them"? That's scrub-tier teenage boy plan; I'm not even attracted to girls and I know that.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Whenever a killing happens at least one more person has to die, thats one more person who we could never imagine doing this. And the worst part is it could be anyone.
Incidentally, I wonder if anyone will try going after us at some point, I mean we are the one who's integral to solving these crimes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rarity posted:

I don't think that's called for. He's a teenage boy who wants to hang out at the beach with teenage girls. Not exactly unusual. It's not like his plan was to spy on them from afar with binoculars. Plus, nearly everyone has already been co-ed swimming already.

Tombot posted:

Whenever a killing happens at least one more person has to die, thats one more person who we could never imagine doing this. And the worst part is it could be anyone.
Incidentally, I wonder if anyone will try going after us at some point, I mean we are the one who's integral to solving these crimes.

It's probably a little less likely in this game than the first, because most students are pretty integral to solving the crimes. In the first game Naegi and Kirigiri stood out. Hajime stands out much less in this game because his classmates are generally more competent.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Without seeing any other evidence, my money is on Sonia.

Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko are the obvious suspects, but if Trial 1 is any indication I don't think they'd give us anything so straightforward. Also they're both too short and scrawny to inflict a fatal heady injury with a baseball bat. I bet they spend half the trial accusing each other.

I would suspect Kazuichi, but he would have had to kill her before he met up with us, then spend more than an hour with us doing a phenomenal acting job. There's no way he's that clever. And Akane did show up covered in blood, but surely even she wouldn't be so dumb as to murder someone, then walk up to the others with gore still dripping from her hair. Plus her story is really easy to verify.

Sonia is the only other person with multiple items pointing at her - as Discomusic pointed out, she's the one who planned the beach trip, and she was the last one to arrive, immediately throwing out an excuse for her lateness. Also she's gotten a fair amount of spotlight this chapter, both directly (in the library) and via Kazuichi's weird stalker crush.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

Sonia is the only other person with multiple items pointing at her - as Discomusic pointed out, she's the one who planned the beach trip, and she was the last one to arrive, immediately throwing out an excuse for her lateness. Also she's gotten a fair amount of spotlight this chapter, both directly (in the library) and via Kazuichi's weird stalker crush.

She's also the only one in a wetsuit, which would be handy for covering up any blood stains on the skin.

Although I guess..uh.. swordswoman has that covered as well. I bet a dip in the ocean would wash stuff off pretty well.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
Yeah, Sonia (wetsuit, party organizer) and Peko (went for a swim) are the most suspicious people in the bunch, and Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko are definitely the major red herrings in this case.

The only other person I can think of as a suspect right now is Akane. She gets into a fight with Nekomaru to get blood all over her, so getting covered in Mahiru's blood when she kills her is not an issue. They meet at the beach house, she tells Mahiru she's hurt and kills her while she's looking for a first-aid kit or something. At the trial the nurse points out that Akane had both dried blood and fresh (?) blood over her body, or that she had much more blood over her body than she should.

Out of the three, Peko and Akane seem to be the ones with enough strength to easily deal a killing blow with a bat.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Discomusic posted:

She probably photographed something she shouldn't have.

Huh. Just like Girl D did?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mahiru Koizumi, the Ultimate Photographer...

She had an unyielding force of personality, but she was actually very good at taking care of people... And...she was always straighforward. Toward us and toward herself, she was always facing forward...

...She was that kind of person.

Why her...? Why Mahiru...why...

: Wh-Why did this happen to her!?

The muscles in my face stiffened and grew hard... Darkness clouded my vision... My legs started to wobble...and I instinctively placed my hand against the wall.

: Hey...Hajime... Before this...we were having a great time, right...? We were excited about going to the beach... We...were having a lot of fun... But...why...
: Why did something like this happen!? Someone, tell me!

I obviously don't know what's going on either...

: ...Huh? U-Um... ...

: ...A-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub!
: N-Now's not the time to make bubbles! Hurry and get the others!

Music fades out.

Ibuki instantly left the beach house. I'm sure it took some time for everyone else to come here. They had to change and whatnot... It must have taken some time. But...I didn't really know how much time had passed.

My senses were numbed. My emotions...were also numbed. Within me...various layers were peeling off... My senses started to return...around the time I realized that the others were already here.

: Wh-What the hell is this!?
: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Wh-Why...Mahiru!?

The girls were standing outside the door leading to the beach, their faces pale with terror.

: F-For heaven's sake, what in the world is going on...!?

With their pale faces still intact, the girls becan wobbling toward the beach house...until a voice stopped them.

: ...Ah, hold on a sec!
: Those things beneath you...be careful not to step on them.
: ...Beneath?

: You know, the footprints in front of that door. There are footprints leading out of the beach house, right? That's probably an important clue. So, don't step on them.
: I-If you mean evidence...
: ...Monokuma mentioned it in the announcement, right? After a certain amount of time, we'll hold a class trial...
: Another class trial!?
: Then...are you saying this is...?

: Thaaaaaat's right! One of you guys killed her!
: K-Killed...that's impossible!
: I-It's not...like, an a-accident or something?
: If you guys think that's an accident, that still means this death was caused by someone else's actions, right?

: That also counts as...a legitimate murder. Though such deaths fall into a grey area, on this island, I will make sure it's clear to you guys... On this island...dying from sickness is basically the only death that's not considered a murder.
: Well, it's impossible to get sick and die on this island. Not when Monomi takes such good care of people.

: ...Oh, speaking of which.
: There it is! The silent treatment attack! This is like the number one thing that hurts me!
: Well fine! I'm not gonna lose to your bashing! I've decided to become a tough kid!

: Th-This...is the worst... Once again...this horrible nightmare... Another victim...and it's all because of Monokuma...
: Jeez! It's not my fault! ...Huh? Then whose fault is it, you ask?
: To find out, we hold the class trial!
: Sooooo let's begin already. No whining, just begin already.

: Okaaaaaay, I shall pass out the Monokuma File #2. This should start to feel familiar.
: Now then, do your very best to investigate! I'll see you later at the class trial! *leaves*
: C-Class trial... Investigation... This...is horrible... It's just...too horrible...

: Th-Then you should've stopped the murder before it occurred! Don't you...have that kind of power!?
: Th-That...I did have the power before he appeared...
: Even if she tried to stop it... Judging from Monokuma and Monomi's relationship, there's no doubt she'd get stopped herself.
: Yes...Monokuma took everything away...including the Magic Stick...and the surveillance cameras... The only thing I can rely on...are these ears...but they can only hear about 3 times that of a normal person...
: So basically, you have no idea what's happening on this island in the first place...
: *Sob*...I'm just the worst... A powerless rabbit like me...is the worst... *leaves*

: Hey...now's not the time to focus on somethin' like that... More importantly...what should we do?
: Eeeek...! D-Do we...have to do it again? Th-That cruel thing... We have to do it again?
: I cannot believe it... Mahiru was killed by one of us...!
: Yeah...I can't do this anymore... Investigating, the class trial...seriously, I'm done...
: Everyone feels the same. But we can't do anything else except do it... A-And... There's no way we can just ignore...the reason Mahiru was killed.

: Yeah, the only thing we can do is investigate.
: Cuz...we should never forgive that. Killing...is something we should never forgive.
: Chiaki...
: The killer has their reasons...I understand that. It was the same for Teruteru, too. It's really all Monokuma's fault...I understand that, too. But...even so...

: We should never forgive...killing.

She usually has her head in the clouds, so for her to say something like that... She probably can't forgive this at all. But...that's true of me, too.

: Regardless, everyone is going to die if we don't do it. In order for us all to survive, we must do it.
: Then let's do this!
: Mahiru...probably wants us to do this, too. She would want us to reveal the truth behind her death...
: I-I understand... If everyone's doing it, I will do it too but... B-But...please give me a little time... Please give me time to calm myself down a little. Also...I will go and tell the others who aren't here about this...
: You're right...if all you heard was the announcement, you won't know where the murder took place.
: I-I shall...excuse myself...for now. *leaves*
: Then...let's begin. Who killed Mahiru Koizumi...? Why was she killed...?
: We gotta find out and solve this already.

That's right...we have to do it. It's the only way. I don't want to do this...but that's more the reason...for us to finish this...

...I'm the only one who can do this!

...First, I need to take a look at the Monokuma File.

CAUSE OF DEATH

-The victim is Mahiru Koizumi. Estimated time of death is around 3:00 p.m...

-The scene of the crime where the body was discovered is inside the beach house at Chandler Beach.

-The cause of death is a single killing blow to the head with a blunt instrument.

-There are no other conspicious external injuries, and no trace of foreign substances such as drugs.

Around 3:00 p.m... That's the time Kazuichi and I arrived at the diner... Then...if we had just gone to the beach house instead...

...No, now's not the time to feel regret. I need to focus on doing as much as I can right now. And then...I'm going to find out the truth behind Mahiru's death. That's the only way...the rest of us can survive.

: What a turn of events from the happy-go-lucky beach party we were planning on enjoying. Though, you could probably tell it was about time for something like this to happen... Unfortunately it looks like it's time to investigate Mahiru's death. Let's start by talking with everyone.

: Mahiru-Mahiru-Mahiru-Mahiru-Mahiru... Th-This is too weird... Something this weird should only happen in song lyrics...

: Mahiru...probably wants us to do this, too. She would want us to reveal the truth behind her death...
: But...what she really wanted... She probably wanted to spend time with all of us peacefully...without something like this happening...

: Hm...that's weird...
: What do you mean?
: Well, I wanted to calm myself down a little so I thought about getting a drink from that refrigerator... When I opened it a few days ago...I'm pretty sure there was a larger variety of drinks...
: Well, I guess I'm just imagining things. I mean...who cares about drinks right now, huh.
: ...What are you talking about?
: Seriously, it's okay. I've resolved it on my own so just drop it.

What the heck...you started it.

: That sounds like it bears investigating momentarily...

: I will never forgive killing...hm.
: Chiaki seemed quite different from her usual self. She must feel very strongly about killing...
: That...it's not just Chiaki... There's no way anyone would forgive something like this.
: I guess...you're right.

: What is this... This is suspicious...I think.
: ...Did you find some kind of clue?
: You know the footprints from earlier. They were in front of the entrance facing the beach, right?
: Oh, that...
: Hajime and Kazuichi's footprints show that you guys were the first ones to go inside the beach house...

: But these footprints are just the opposite. They're coming out of the beach house.
: Now that you mention it...I thought those footprints were strange too...
: ...You did?

: At first, I tried to go into the beach house from the door facing the road... But it didn't open, so I went around and tried to go in from the beachside door.
: You couldn't go inside from the roadside door...because Mahiru's body was blocking it, right?
: And that's when I noticed those footprints. The footprints leading from the beach house to the tunnel look like they belong to one person.
: Someone's footprints leading out of the beach house, huh... That's definitely suspicious.
: Now that you mention it, Peko said she went for a little swim, right? Could those footprints be...

: Unfortunately, I went swimming to scout the first beach. I do not know anything about this beach.
: Is that...really true?
: But these footprints lead straight from the beach house to the tunnel.
: Since I was swimming at the beach, of course my footprints would lead from the shore to the tunnel.
: Then...whose footprints are these?

: It's no mistake that these are the killer's footprints...but I have no clue who that might be.
: ...Well, for now... It's obvious that this is a clue...don't you think?

Yes...it's probably an extremely important clue.

: That's everyone for now. I guess it's time to suck it up and check Mahiru's body.

She's lost all life in her body... It's as if...she's a shell...

: Is this really...the energetic Mahiru I knew?

I see her laying in front of me, but I still can't believe it. I can't connect this lifeless body to the high-spirited Mahiru.

: B-But...we don't have time to wallow in sentiment.

: There's no way I can just stand here...!

*Slap*

I slapped both my hands onto my cheecks, and faced Mahiru's body one more time.

Mahiru is leaning against the beach house door that leads to the road... If she leaned onto the door like this, it would've been impossible to open.

: Maybe Mahiru tried to run away when she was attacked...and tried to crawl to the door.

Evidence can be seen in the bloodstains on the floor... They're streaked, as if she crawled through them. So...she used all her energy to crawl away, leaned against the door, and took her last breath. For someone as headstrong as her to run, she must've felt really desperate...

: What is this...mask?

Hm...? What's this...? Is this a mask...? Did someone bring this from the toy section of the supermarket...?

: Or maybe party goods... Regardless, why is this even here?

: Did the killer wear that...to conceal their face?
: No...they'd totally stand out. I mean, it's such a gaudy mask...
: ...A gaudy mask?
: Ahhh! That mask!?
: ...You've seen this!?
: Sun Witch ♪ Esper Ito! It is a super fun anime with a viewership surpassing 90% in my country!

An anime that has a viewership of over 90%... Is Sonia's country really all right?

: C-Could it be!? Was that mask placed next to the body!?
: Yeah, it was...
: I-If that is true... Could it be...!?
: Could it be...what?
: U-Um...please give me some time! *leaves*

For reasons unknown... Sonia rushed out of the beach house.

: What's...with her...?
: ...It looks like she knows something. If that's the case, I shall wait until she decides to talk about it.

Hmm, for Sonia to be so worked up, it must be something big... I wonder what she knows?

: This bat is very conspicuous.

According to the Monokuam File... The fatal blow was dealt to Mahiru with a blunt object. That blunt object...it's this metal bat, right?

: Huh...? This metal bat...

: It's the same...as the Twilight Syndrome Murder Case.
: ...Huh?
: There's a girl named Girl E was was killed in the game during the 4th Day...

: That girl...was killed with a blow from a metal bat, just like Mahiru.

: Did you...did you also play that game, Hajime? Is that why you're curious about that metal bat?
: Y-Yeah...that's exactly it, but... Did you...play it too?

: Then I'm sure you know this but... The case this time is strongly connected to Twilight Syndrome Murder Case...I think. In order to solve the mystery behind Mahiru's death, you probably need to solve that game's mystery too...
: But even if you solve the game's mystery... All the clues in it were lousy and useless. I mean, it started ambiguously, and it was still ambiguous when it ended...
: That's because you haven't beaten the game.
: Beaten...? I finished the game with a Game Over, but were you able to beat it?

: Ngh...I'm not some girl gamer who talks about video games she's never beaten...

So...what am I supposed to do to actually beat the game? I can't stop thinking about that for some reason... But, for now...I should focus on this investigation.

...So, it's okay to say that this metal bat is absolutely the murder weapon, right?

: Let's check out some of the things in the back of the room.

There's a lot of drinks inside the refrigerator but...

: Compared to last time, I feel like there's less drinks. Did people take a lot of drinks from here?

: Not only that...the only drinks left in here look either sweetened or colored. They look unhealthy.

Maybe...there's a clue inside this trashcan.

: That's what I thought but...

Hmm, there's only a bunch of empty plastic bottles. I don't see anything that looks like a clue. I guess...it's not that easy, huh.

: I think that's a good start to our investigation. We'll continue looking around the beach house next time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 17, 2017

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

FPzero posted:

...No, now's not the time to feel regret. I need to focus on doing as much as I can right now. And then...I'm going to find out the truth behind Mahiro's death. That's the only way...the rest of us can survive.

heads up, spelling mistake here

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Man, Mikan and Monomi are two of a kind, it's a bit grating...

And looks like we've got a health nut on the loose, considering the drinks. Obviously they killed our victim because she refused to get enough sunshine and exercise!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Two thoughts on this:
1. This case on the surface seemingly resembles that game that Monokuma created, but is it just a distraction from the real reason this took place?

2. Whoever had been drinking those drinks must be severely dehydrated by now, seeing how little water there would be compared to the assumed sugar content. but why would anyone do that in the first place?

I feel we are going to learn a lot from the next several updates.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tombot posted:

2. Whoever had been drinking those drinks must be severely dehydrated by now, seeing how little water there would be compared to the assumed sugar content. but why would anyone do that in the first place?

I assumed that the clear drinks were just water, but even so, all they have to do is stop someplace with water (the diner is right there, they could just grab a cup of water there) while everyone else is separated looking for clues.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

BlazeEmblem posted:

I assumed that the clear drinks were just water, but even so, all they have to do is stop someplace with water (the diner is right there, they could just grab a cup of water there) while everyone else is separated looking for clues.

Here's a thought: The killer panicked at being covered in blood and used all the water in the fridge to wash themselves off. I'm also betting that mask is actually a serial killer's calling card or something like that, which is what has Sonia so freaked out.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Ah, so its not that theres only sugary drinks available in the freezer, but that all of the water bottles have been used up.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Let's check out the open closet back here.

The closet doot is half open... The last time I came here...that wasn't the case.

: That's a little suspicious... I should probably investigate inside here too.

This...is a pretty spacious walk-in closet. But there's so much crap on the shelves and floor, only one person could stand in here... But if you think about it this way... It means it's possible for only one person to stay in here.

: First things first, hiding up off the top of the screen is the 4th Hidden Monokuma for this chapter.

Flotation devices, snorkels, nets... There's also some paint supplies too... Hmm...there's not much else that could be related to the incident...

There's a lot of stuff jammed onto the shelves, even surfboards and a surfboard case... But...they're not put away properly at all. Two boards are stuffed onto one shelf, and some boards have been left out instead of being put in the case... And there's also an empty surfboard case as well.

: Jeez...how careless...

...Hm? There's something on the floor. This yellow thing...is a gummy candy. Finding candy on the floor in a place like this...is clearly unnatural. If it's connected to the incident... Did someone drop this while they were inside the closet?

: That's it for the closet.

: Let's examine the Shower Room next. We haven't actually seen inside it yet.

So this is the shower room... There's a notice on the door... Judging from the illustration...it looks like it's being repaired or under construction...something like that.

: That's right...the shower's being repaired, so water won't come out... But what about hot water? Well, that's impossible too.
: If the shower is out of order, then isn't it just a waste of space...?
: I-I'm sowwy... Just when I was planning to fix it...my Magic Stick was taken from me... So I never got around to fixing it.
: What the heck...what does your Magic Stick have to do with repairing...?

: Anyways, it's all Monokuma's fault! Everything is all Monokuma's fault!
: Ha-wa-wa! Your doubtful eyes are telling me you think I'm Monokuma's accomplice!
: ...You must have read my mind.
: Th-Think what you want of me... I've already given up.
: But let me tell you think one more time! As long as you guys work together, you should be able to stand against any kind of despair! I promise I will help with that! *leaves*

What help...? You're doing the opposite...

: Oh well...anyway, it looks like the shower room is definitely out of order. But I guess...I should check the inside too.

This is...a really nice, really spacious shower room. If it's this huge, you could also use it as a dressing room... But changing in the beach house is forbidden. Jeez, what an unreasonable rule.[/i]

: There are a couple of things to look at in here. Let's talk to Akane first.

: Hmm, guess no one's in here... I was thinkin' the killer was hidin' in here after they failed to escape.
: It wouldn't be that easy...

There's a window...it's small, but maybe you can crawl out of it somehow. Well, it probably doesn't mean anything if someone can crawl through it...

: ...But I can't seem to take my mind off it.

However, the ceiling is really high, so that window is also situated in a very high place... It's so high that even if I stretch out my hand, I can't reach it... It's probably about 9 feet up... And not just that, it's an iron-barred window... If that's the case...

...Yep, it'd be impossible to go in and out through there.

: What...? Are you still thinkin' about that window?
: Yeah...I was thinking the killer might have escaped through there...
: Awwwww right, I got it! I'll pitch in and help ya out!

: C'mon, gimme a piggyback ride. I'll check the window for ya.

Pitch in and help? It feels like I'm the one who's pitching in and helping...

: If ya don't hurry up, I'll punch ya.

She's really into this... No matter what I say, it's not gonna matter.

: ...Fine, I'll just leave it to you.
: Don't worry. My panties are clean.
: I-I see...that's good...

I let out a deep sigh, then bent over under the window...

: Aw right!

As she shouted, Akane jumped onto my shoulders.

: Ugh...!

: Ugh...ughghghgh...!
: Heeey, your balance sucks! Make sure your stance is wider!
: Y-You...you're a lot heavier than I expected...!
: Yeah, 'cause I'm so buff... Like, every time I get a massage, they tell me I'm just a mass o' muscles.
: A massage, huh... Do you have a trainer or something since you're the Ultimate Gymnast...?
: Nah, I don't have a trainer... My stepmom's lovers like to get drunk and gimme full-body massages.

I shouldn't...have asked.

: So...how's the window?
: Let's see... Hmmm... I see, I see... So that's what happened.
: ...D-Did you find anything?
: Well, since there's this iron bar... I was pretty sure no one would be able to get through the window... But check it out.
: Ch-Check it out...? Hold on...I'll give it a try...

With Akane on my shoulders, I craned my neck so high that I started to worry...

: This iron bar ain't even pinned down. Looks like you can open and close it pretty easy. See? My head can fit through, no problem.
: Then...it's not impossible to go in and out of that window?
: Yep yep...!

Akane jumped off my shoulders and flashed a wide grin...

: Isn't this a big discovery?
: But the problem is... How were they able to reach that window?
: Hmm, even if I jump, I can't really reach it...
: But if two people worked together like us, it wouldn't be a problem, right?
: If that's the case...it would mean the killer had an accomplice.
: ...Accomplice? Sounds like a big word...is that the name of a kung fu master?
: ...B-But even if there was an accomplice, the person acting as the stepstool would still be inside...

: But if ya really think about it, just one person could get outta here without help, right?
: ...Huh? Really?
: Yeah, like...
: ...a freakin' ninja could do it, ya know!? A ninja can climb fences and walls no problem, right!?
: ...Hmm, just as I thought... It looks difficult to go in and out through that window...

: Wh-What the heck... And I even took the time to lend you my wisdom...!
: You're the one who said it was suspicious, so I took the time to pitch in and help!
: Tch...it was such a waste of time to help you out! All you saw were my panties!
: ...No I didn't!
: Oh well...it's not like the end of the world.
: I'm telling you, I didn't look at them!

There's a toilet...but you really can't use it as a stepstool.

: That's everything to examine in the shower room. Coincidentally, it's also the final thing to look at in the whole beach house so the next scene now plays.

: Um...I guess I've finished investigating all I can. But there's still not enough...

Just from the clues here, I don't think I have enough to find the truth... Looks like I should try investigating *that* again to find out why Mahiru got killed.

: Twilight Syndrome Murder Case...

Girl E was killed in that game by a single blow from a metal bat.

Metal bat... That's the same weapon that was used to kill Mahiru. That...there's no way that's just a coincidence, right?

: In truth, this game's theme is a missing link. You know, it's a recurring theme for mysteries, right? It's kinda like a hidden connection.

A missing link... If that's the killer's motive for the killing this time... Then that mystery must be hidden inside that game. Plus, the person who might know about that mystery is standing right next to me...

...I should ask her about it.

: Let's see if Chiaki will tell us more about the game.

: Hey Chiaki. I have something I want to ask you...are you okay right now?
: ...Are you done investigating here already?
: ...Huh? I think I've finished investigating once through...
: ...Then let's go.
: G-Go...?

: You want to know about Twilight Syndrome, right? Then I think you should actually play it yourself.
: Sooo...let's go!
: Y-Yeah...you're right...

Music fades out.

With Chiaki leading, I left the beach house and headed over to Jabberwock Park, where that unsettling arcade machine was placed.

But, I never... I never expected that person to be waiting there.

: Why hello there, Hajime and Chiaki. I'm glad you guys are doing well.
: N-Nagito!?
: It feels like...it's been a long time since I was able to talk to you two like this. Even though we haven't spoken...for just a few days...
: ...Why are you here?
: Well, there's no need to worry about a loser like me...

: More importantly, did you hear? Apparently Mahiru got killed this time. Jeez, how horrible... She was the heart of our group, always spirited and very eager to talk... For her to be killed... If only I could have taken her place, I would have gladly done it...
: But still...you guys will be able to shine because this outcome is full of despair, right!? That's right, no matter how dark the despair, hope can shine much brighter and stronger!
: Hehe! Though I do feel bad for Mahiru, this is quite exciting! How will everyone overcome despair this time?

: Looks like...you feel no remorse.

Jeez...as usual, he's acting so crazy he's almost pissing me off.

: So why are you here? Who told you about Mahiru?
: Y-You don't have to make that scary face. I'll tell you, you know... Monomi.

: Yes, it was me.
: You...why'd you untie Nagito without anyone's permission?
: D-Did I do bad? I just wanted everyone to get along...and, you know...cooperate...
: There's no way we'll get along! You already know what kind of guy he is!

: But...fighting among friends is what Monokuma wants you guys to do...
: Hajime, you should forgive her. Monomi is making a valid point, too.
: ...You have no right to say that!

: But now's not the time for friends to fight. There's going to be a class trial for Mahiru, right?
: Th-That's right! That's why everyone must work together and have Monokuma--
: ...Enough! Enough already...just...go away already...
: ...U-Understood. *leaves*

: Nagito, you too...hurry up and get lost...
: Well, I'm a little lonely but...I guess I'll do that. I already saw the true ending of that game, so there's really no reason for me to be here.
: ...True ending?
: So, although I might be a little late... I, too, will do some investigating for a while. I will try to be useful...in my own way.
: Who do you want to be useful to? The killer? Or us?

: ...Isn't it obvious? I will always be on the side of hope. *leaves*

The more I talk to him, the creepier he gets... The more I listen to him, the more I don't understand him... If he didn't exist, this situation would be a lot easier to deal with...

: ...Dammit!
: Hajime...let's just move on and start the game.
: ...You're right.

: Clicking either the arcade cabinet or Chiaki will continue the plot.

: Hey, can I ask you something? Is there a walkthrough for this game?
: ...Hm?
: I feel like I'm just going to repeat the 2nd Day and 4th Day again, and then get a Game Over... So if there is a walkthrough, can you tell me about it?
: When you get a Game Over...that's the walkthrough.
: ...Huh? What do you mean?

: Do you want me to tell you? I'll tell you if you want. There's a hidden command.
: ...A hidden command?
: You should have seen it too. You know, that thing that was displayed on the Game Over screen.
: Is that...?

: Are you talking about the message that says "Down five"?
: Just so you know...that doesn't mean you down five drinks or something... It means you have to press down five times.
: Then the hidden command is...!

: You just have to press the down button five times when you're on the title screen. If you do that, you...should be able to go to the real game.
: S-So that's the trick... Just as expected of the Ultimate Gamer.
: It doesn't have anything to do with being a gamer. This is just...you either get it or you don't. In fact, Nagito got it on his own so it looks like he managed to beat the game. C'mon, give it a try.
: Y-Yeah...I got it...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Every swimsuit picture has the Pork Burger pig next to it.

If that's not the team lampshading this then I don't know what is.

You know, it's obviously blatant fanservice, but I kinda like how Hinata reacts to it. Naegi described himself as being so generic it was abnormal (I think, maybe that was someone in the LP thread? :iiam:) beyond his little bit of optimism. Hinata shows his personality a bit more a bit sooner and it kinda makes him feel more... normal?

e: Then again he did kinda swoon for Maizono, maybe I'm just overly harsh on Naegi. :v:

I liked the characters in DR1 but I think DR2 has overall one of my favorite casts in any game.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 20, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I am unclear what happened to the barred part of the window when Akane opened the window bit. Is she holding it in her other hand?

Irrelevant, but it also beats me why it's forbidden to change in the shower room, it's got a shower and a toilet so the door probably locks, and the window is too high for anyone to peek through.

If I remember, down five is pretty close to a literal translation of the code. oren's LP did a different localization, it was more clever, but it would probably have been much harder to figure out than the one this version presents.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If I remember, down five is pretty close to a literal translation of the code. oren's LP did a different localization, it was more clever, but it would probably have been much harder to figure out than the one this version presents.

Our stupid lovely English language just does not have the capacity for ambiguity that Japanese does.

The game over message is "gokai shita" ("you screwed up"), except it's actually "go kai shita" ("five times down"). Options for dealing with this in English are basically limited to wordplay like acronyms or some kind of implied double meaning that somehow conveys a sequence of button inputs. And... there's nothing. There just is not anything. DULL START was a stretch. DOWN FIVE was just straight admitting defeat. Which was a reasonable thing to do, imo.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

One thing I can think of is to reverse the words to "FIVE DOWN", and have Hinata question that only one of the five girls in the group died, since being downed can be a synonym for a party member being killed in games.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Fedule posted:

Our stupid lovely English language just does not have the capacity for ambiguity that Japanese does.

Eh. English has an immense number of double entendres, mondegreens, and other ambiguous options available. I don't think it has a good one for pressing down five times, but I'm sure translating puns or whatever from English to Japanese is a huge pain too.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Qrr posted:

Eh. English has an immense number of double entendres, mondegreens, and other ambiguous options available. I don't think it has a good one for pressing down five times, but I'm sure translating puns or whatever from English to Japanese is a huge pain too.

That reminds me of an article I read few years back about translating Seinfeld to GErman.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/24/8809723/jerry-seinfeld-tv-show-international-translation

English linguistic weirdness works vastly differently from Japanese linguistic weirdness.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Uhhh, so the killer couldn't use the out-of-order shower to wash themselves off, and instead used a bunch of water bottles? And the game went out of its way to establish that Pekoyama was wet? I'm hoping there's another twist here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CandyCrazy posted:

One thing I can think of is to reverse the words to "FIVE DOWN", and have Hinata question that only one of the five girls in the group died, since being downed can be a synonym for a party member being killed in games.

Or call them Girl #1, 2, 3... and then have FIVE DOWN when #5 bites it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Uhhh, so the killer couldn't use the out-of-order shower to wash themselves off, and instead used a bunch of water bottles? And the game went out of its way to establish that Pekoyama was wet? I'm hoping there's another twist here.

Might be meta-gamey as hell, but almost everything that gets noted by anyone will come up later. The fact that there's an empty surfboard case will matter, somehow. The gummy in the closet will matter, somehow. It makes special mention of the closet being big enough for only one person and that will matter, somehow. Here's a thought: Mahiru and the bratty traditional dancer hang out together. Dancer girl likes gummy bears. There was one in the closet. Sonia was wearing a wetsuit. The wetsuits are kept in the closet. Maybe Sonia did the deed while the traditional dancer watched from the closet. Sonia douses herself with water bottles, then heads for the closet. The dancer girl hides herself inside the surfboard case so she doesn't get caught. Sonia puts on a wet suit to hide the fact that she's already wet and leaves. Peko is just a red herring.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Buried alive posted:

Sonia was wearing a wetsuit.

All good points, especially the quoted, which I had already forgotten. :blush:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I need to press down five times on the title screen. All right, let's do this.

: Open the new door to Twilight Syndrome Murder Case. Please press down five times with your own hands.

: The screen changed... She was right...
: This is the real game... Twilight Syndrome Murder Case's Truth Edition.

I should start it up. I need to find out why this is a motive. It'll start if I press the START button, right?

: Now then, let's begin Twilight Syndrome Murder Case. Please press the START button with your own hands.

> START

*Girl A runs onscreen*

: I-I'm sorry...! I'm really...really sorry for keeping you all waiting!
: Jeez, we're gonna go home late because we had to wait for slowpoke Girl A.
: Come on Girl B, you don't have to be that mad!

*click!*

*Screen flashes white. Girls A, B and C flinch and turn to Girl D*

: Heeey, don't go taking photos without permission! People might mistake us for good friends!

*Girl A turns to Girl B*

: I-I'm not your friend!?
: Whaaaaat? There's no way I'd ever be friends with a nasty, trashy, pigshit like you.
: Tahaaa! The way Girl B treats people, even loan sharks looking to collect would get sick to their stomachs!

*Girl A looks around*

: Huh... Is Girl E here yet?

: Ah, apparently she forgot something. She told us to wait just a little longer!
: She can't find her school swimsuit...
: Her swimsuit, huh... Maybe it got stolen?
: S-Stolen!?

: You don't know? A pervert has been spotted in the area recently. Kehe...you should be super careful, Girl A. A chubby weakling like you makes the perfect prey...

*Girl A backs up slowly*

: Hey, stop it... Girl A's getting really scared.
: Kyahaha! It's fun to bully Girl A!

*SMASH* *shatter*

Music cuts out.

*All Girls flinch and face right. Heartbeat bar turns yellow. Girl D looks around.*

: Wh-What was that sound!?
: It sounded like...glass breaking... It sounds like it came from the 2nd floor! Let's go!

*Girls B, C, and D run offscreen*

: This game even gets its own investigation music variant! I really love how they made 16-bit versions of a couple songs for these segments.

: We're on the 1st floor right now, so we need to go upstairs. The whole first floor hallway is open to run around in but there's nothing to see and no rooms to enter so just head on up.

: Huff...puff...huff...

*Girls B, C, and D run onscreen followed right behind by Girl A*

: Girl E! Wh-What happened!?
: I-I don't know... I walked by the front of the music room just now... And then...I suddenly heard the sound of glass breaking...
: Is...someone in there?
: That's what I think but...I think the door is locked. I can't get it open.

*Girl B runs over to the door and tries to open it*

*clatter clatter*

: You're right. It's locked.
: Did someone lock it from the inside!? Is someone really in there!?
: Um...if we use the key from the teacher's lounge, we can open this door, right?
: I'll go to the teacher's lounge and get the key to the music room! The teachers are probably gone by now, so I'm sure we can bring the key over in secret... But...I have a bad feeling about this!

*Girl D runs offscreen*

*Girl D returns*

: I found the key! Nobody was there so it was super easy to get!
: Then let's open it right away!

*Girl D walks over to the door and unlocks it*

*Creak...*

: Okay.

: ...Girl A, you lead the way!

*Girl A flinches and turns to Girl B*

: Huh? M-Me!?
: C'mon, hurry hurry!

*...Clatter-clatter-clatter*

: Empty on this side...

: ...Oh no.

Music fades out.

: S-Someone's...laying on the floor...

*Girls B, C, D, and E all run over*

*Girl B walks over to the slumped figure, stops, then crouches down with her hands over her head*

: Th-This...she's not laying down... She's dead.

*Girl D flinches. Heartbeat meter turns red.*

: D-Dead!?

*Girl E backs up slowly*

: That's impossible...why...?

*Girl A flinches*

: KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

*Girl B stands back up*

: L-Lower your voice! They might still be nearby!
: N-Nearby...?

: I mean, this...looks like someone murdered her.

*Girl C flinches*

: Murdered...huh!?

*Girl B turns to Girl C*

: Seriously, shut up! What's gonna happen if the killer notices us!?
: Wh-What should we do...? What should I do...?

*Girl B looks around*

: I see, so that's what happened. I found it. The killer's escape route.
: (Escape route...could it be...)

: We have to select the broken window here.

: Ah, the window is broken...!
: The sound we heard from the entrance hall was probably the window breaking. *Someone* probably locked the music room door from the inside, and after killing this girl... They broke the window and escaped outside. Looks like she got hit by something when she died but I can't seem to find anything bloody here... What happened to the weapon? Did the killer take it?
: Sooooo...the killer just ran out the window!?
: But...if they just wanted to run away, they could've opened the window. Why did they have to break it?
: Th-They were probably trying to leave in a hurry... Look...there's evidence.

*Girl E walks forward, bends down for a moment and then stands back up.*

: The fish tank by the window is tipped over, and all the gravel is scattered...
: They must've accidentally tipped it over when they were frantically trying to get away.

: It's not too high to jump from the 2nd floor, so maybe they thought it'd be safer than using the hallway...
: B-But...is that really it...?

*Girl B turns to Girl A*

: I mean, to lock the door, you'd have to either lock it from inside the music room...or use the lounge key.
: Oh, when I went to get the music room key, it was in the teacher's lounge...
: So the killer wouldn't have had time to return the key before they broke the window...

: Then, the door could've been locked from the inside... That means the killer was inside the music room.
: Also, to get outside from the music room, they'd need to have passed by us in the entrance hall... But we didn't see anyone pass by... Which means the killer's only escape route was this window.

: I-It's probably...that pervert I heard about... He's the one who snuck inside the school grounds.
: My school swimsuit...was stolen. I couldn't find it anywhere.
: Then...the pervert who stole Girl E's school swimsuit also murdered that girl over there!?
: They...probably locked the music room so they could rape her, but she ended up resisting...
: So, they frantically tried to get away, broke the window, and escaped?

: I-Isn't...it bad if we stay here much longer? I mean, I don't want to get involved in something like this... And the killer might still be around, too...

*Girl C flinches*

: That's bad! Uber bad! We better hurry up and run!

*Girl C runs offscreen*

: B-But... Don't we have to report this to the police?
: Don't you know what happens...when you report this kind of stuff to the police? You become the prime suspect just because you found the body first. I definitely don't want that!

*Girl E runs offscreen*

: Yeah...it'd be best if we left this room how we found it...just lock the door, leave everything how it was...

*Girl B walks offscreen*

*Girl A turns to the others who have just left*

: Ah, hey! Please wait...don't leave me!!!

*Girl A runs offscreen*

*Girl E yells from offscreen*

: Girl D!

*Girl E runs onscreen*

: Sorry, did I make you wait? So what's up? You asked me to meet here, don't tell me you're gonna confess your love to me?
: Huh...what happened?

*Girl D hands something to Girl E*

: Um...I want you to look at this photo...

Music cuts out.

*Heartbeat bar turns yellow*

: On the day of the incident...I found this when I peeked into the next-door classroom as I was going home... And I couldn't help taking a picture... What do you think these broken vase pieces mean?

: That sound we heard from the entrance hall wasn't the sound of a window breaking...

*Girl E backs up slowly*

: Wh-What is this... I...I don't know anything about this vase...!
: And if that's the case...the killer didn't escape from the window...
: S-Seriously...I don't know anything!

: It's okay, I made sure to throw it away...
: If anyone found it...you'd be in trouble, right Girl E?
: Are...are you trying to blackmail me?
: O-Of course not...that's not what this is about... If there's something you're hiding from me... I want you to say it. I mean...we're friends, right?

*Girl E walks closer to Girl D*

: You...you didn't say anything either... I knew, you know. I knew that girl who got killed was tormenting you...
: Huh...?
: No, she wasn't just tormenting you. She was seriously making your life a living hell... That bitch...was in your photography club back in middle school, right? She was probably jealous of your talent.. So she...

: I'm supposed to be your best friend! If you'd told me...none of this would have happened...
: Girl E...d-don't tell me you...!
: That bitch...thought she could do anything she wanted because of her family's influence... And I just couldn't stand it anymore!

: You know...at first I tried to talk to her. But that bitch...started talking poo poo about how she'd target me next time, so... I felt...a sudden rage...and before I knew it, I was choking her... And then...she lost consciousness...but things would've been worse if she woke up, so... That's why I had to do something about it...!

*Girl D backs up slowly*

: Th-That's...!
: It's not my fault...or yours... It's all her fault!

*Girl E runs offscreen*

: Ah! Girl E!

No Music.

*Girl E runs on screen and stops at the trash area...*

*...looks around quickly...*

*...drops something...*

*...and runs off screen. Nothing happens for a few seconds.*

*Guy F walks on screen*

: That bitch...Girl E, was it...? Word is she was with *her* on...the day of the incident... ...

*Guy F walks over to the trash area and bends down, picking up whatever Girl E threw away*

: Looks like she threw something away here... What was it?

*Guy F stands up and flinches. Heartbeat bar turns yellow*

: What the hell is this photo!? This vase is... ... Could it be...the sound of breaking glass...was actually this...? If it wasn't...why did she try to scretly get rid of this...?

*Guy F turns away from the trash area*

: That bitch...what the hell did she do to my little sister! Looks like I need to ask her a few questions... And if that bitch really did...that...

*Heartbeat bar turns red*

: I will never...

: I will never forgive her!

: Looks like...this is the end...

: That's the "Truth Edition"... The incident's 1st Day and 3rd Day are depicted in it...
: Yep, now you've filled in all 4 events from the 1st Day to the 4th Day.
: Hey Chiaki, what do you think of the characters in this game?
: You mean like Girl A and Girl B? ...Their names make no sense and they have no romantic chemistry either.
: No, not that...

: While you were talking... Looks like the ending's staff roll started.
: ...Staff roll?
: You should be able to find out what you wanna know if you look at it...probably.

What I want to know...is on this staff roll?

: W-Wait! Just now...!
: See, didn't I tell you? What you wanna know is gonna be on there.

: Yaaaaay! Congraaaaats! Miracle congratulatioooooons! You have finally beaten Twilight Syndrome Murder Case!
: Now that you guys have played this game through to the end, you should already know...
: That's right, that game is a nonfiction game based on an actual past incident!
: I-Is that true...!?
: By the way, "nonfiction" means an original story based on historical fact or records.
: Hey, answer my question...!
: Buuuuut...even if this is nonfiction, you guys probably don't remember it. Well, that can't be helped.

: The school life you no longer remember is the setting for this story.

Our...school life...

: At any rate...congratulations! Now then, as for the ending prize that I'm supposed to give you as a reward for clearing the game...
: ...I won't give it to ya!
: Ending prize...?
: There was only one ending prize, and I already gave it to the first person who beat it!
: Puhuhu, how disappointing! *leaves*

: Did he say...ending prize?
: Like...I was told the same thing when I beat it too.
: Man, I was too late. If I'd known something like this was gonna happen, I would've played the game sooner.

: But the ending prize isn't the problem. It's what Monokuma said earlier... He mentioned how he used our school life as the setting of the game...

Just as I thought...so it's connected to that this time, too... But is it really...is it really true...? We were already living our school lives... And our memories were completely taken... Is something that crazy actually possible...? Then...what did they do to us...?

: It looks like...there's something on your mind.
: Monokuma probably said the same thing to everyone else who's beaten this game. That this game is nonfiction... That it's the "missing link" that existed in our forgotten school memories...
: ...So do you believe it? Do you really believe...our memories were taken?
: I don't know but...instead of thinking about that right now, we gotta focus on solving this mystery first. Whether we believe it's the motive or not, it's clear that a murder did occur.
: If that's the case...then I need to question them directly. If I do that...I might be able to learn something.

: You're talking about the people whose characters appear in the game, right? Then I'll go too.

That's right...if I get some information from them, I might find out about something... About the mystery behind Mahiru's death... About whether this game is true or not... And...if we really had our school memories taken away.

: Then let's hurry and ask the others.

: And while you're at it...ask them how it feels to be characters in the game.
: Ah, also, if you want to gather your thoughts about the content of the game, talk to me anytime.
: ...I see, thanks. That's a huge help.

I don't know where they are right now... But we won't learn anything if we just stand here. All right...let's go!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... looking at the game from start to finish, it seems to me that this game only really would work as a motive for a very small number of students. That is different from the usual, but I think I know the reason behind this.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... looking at the game from start to finish, it seems to me that this game only really would work as a motive for a very small number of students. That is different from the usual, but I think I know the reason behind this.

Yeah, this is one of the most personalized motives. The only one that would be more specific would be the 4th case of the first game, where the motive was "Sakura is the mole, and I want her to kill someone".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

Yeah, this is one of the most personalized motives. The only one that would be more specific would be the 4th case of the first game, where the motive was "Sakura is the mole, and I want her to kill someone".

I disagree with that. The motive was "Sakura is a traitor. I've told her to kill someone. Aren't you afraid? Will no one rid the school of this troublesome traitor"? It wasn't only a motive for Sakura, it was a motive for others to try to kill Sakura.

Here, this is only a motive for someone who knew the game's dead girl or girl E, and with no ones school memories returned, no one remembers who they are, and that further narrows the potential people who would care. This game provides no motive for Nidai, for instance.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2017

• Locked thread