Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Over/under on issues U19 will last? Since apparently Jump readers gobble trash right up, while hating good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
U19 has such a weird and kinda offputting premise. It's basically anime Kids Next Door but high-schoolers and more serious, with weird eugenics-sounding gene testing and a facist armband sporting adult faction.

E: also the last chapter of Demon's Plan is up. It's dumb. The Patron guy shows up and basically explains what the endgame was going to be, then the characters leave on the rest of the adventure no one will ever see.

Also I wonder if the literal translations of the demon's titles was using the "-ist" suffix because good god most of those sound stupid. Anger-ist? Revenger-ist? What?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 16, 2017

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sarcophallus posted:

We are kind of talking about a magazine targeted at teens. But yeah it's trash.

It's even too heavy handed for that. Even as a teen I'd think that was patronizing.

Fabricated posted:

U19 has such a weird and kinda offputting premise. It's basically anime Kids Next Door but high-schoolers ...

It's this. I was looking for a way to explain what it felt like and that is perfect. It's as if KND was presented completely seriously and in earnest.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

Over/under on issues U19 will last? Since apparently Jump readers gobble trash right up, while hating good things.

Sods law sort of dictates this will be the thing that sticks. After all Jump is the same magazine that dragged Nisekoi out for 200 weeks somehow and allowed World Trigger which, by all rights, should be about traveling to alternertive Universes, to be "Hyperbolic Time Chamber, the comic book"

Also Medaka Box which has more of Nisioisin's poo poo in it than I'm comfertable with there being in any one thing (Which is to say any).

Crain posted:

It's even too heavy handed for that. Even as a teen I'd think that was patronizing.

Thing is that TPN, for all the issues that I have with that comic's pacing, got this right; you establish that the world is OK only to drop the protag right into the poo poo and reveal of it actually being a shitheap designed to Kill decanters by making their hearts bloom flowers (?) / Turn them into Mindless Drones / Matrix and go from there.

It's a lost art, that of subtlety.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 16, 2017

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nisekoi worked cause it was safely generic enough that it picked up readers easily. Like all of Nisekoi is a mish-mash of elements from all the popular romcoms before it.

U19 is just pretty bad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I genuinely refuse to believe Nisekoi can be described as anything but aggressively poo poo and the author was deliberately pulling a Springtime for Hitler manouver in order to squeeze every last bitter penny out of shogakukan.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 16, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nisekoi is a master class in grudge-loving your own audience.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh by the way, I saw in Jump's TOC that that one ballroom manga has ended. Straighten up or something like that. Did it end naturally or was it axed?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mikl posted:

Oh by the way, I saw in Jump's TOC that that one ballroom manga has ended. Straighten up or something like that. Did it end naturally or was it axed?
It seemed kinda abrupt to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

Noo, I liked that series :( That's a bummer.

edit: The Adult Party in that U19 manga seems unironically good since it apparently guarantees everyone a job and a house.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 16, 2017

bondster
May 6, 2007

Read U19, yea its loving terrible and not subtle at allllllll Grown Ups Party = G.U.P :cripes:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mikl posted:

It was never sitting near the bottom, so I assumed it ended naturally, but I stopped reading cause scans dried up for a while, so I dunno.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Scans dried... but only 5 chapters away from the end???

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Seshiji-o-Pin--to-Shikakou-Kyougi-Dance-bu-e-Youkoso

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Allarion posted:

It was never sitting near the bottom, so I assumed it ended naturally, but I stopped reading cause scans dried up for a while, so I dunno.

It's hard to tell, because the scans still aren't caught up, so it may have gone straight to poo poo in the end. But it's been sitting pretty in the middle for like a year now.

I feel like there's more that could've been told, but maybe this was a strategy to build up goodwill with Shueisha to get a more out-there concept through the door. Or at least, the author is able to turn around and make that a possibility with the ending of the series.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

There was a large gap between August and November Zep! I assume the new scan group tried to catch up as fast as they could.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bah, just three months.

You and I have both waited longer than that for Hunter x Hunter.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Huh. I could've sworn it was longer. I thought it was out before Black Clover, but Wikipedia says May 2015.

Did someone think it would not be a good idea to have this compete with Welcome to the Ballroom?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

Huh. I could've sworn it was longer. I thought it was out before Black Clover, but Wikipedia says May 2015.

Did someone think it would not be a good idea to have this compete with Welcome to the Ballroom?

Wait, are there two different manga about Ballroom dancing running right now? Or were, rather, since Straighten Up just ended.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wait, are there two different manga about Ballroom dancing running right now? Or were, rather, since Straighten Up just ended.

Yeah, Ballroom e Youkoso which runs in a different shonen magazine.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also Medaka Box which has more of Nisioisin's poo poo in it than I'm comfertable with there being in any one thing (Which is to say any).

Medaka Box is a work of art and owns hardcore

I'm being completely sincere, Medaka Box kicks the poo poo out of every comic you just mentioned, and probably most of the stuff running in Jump right now

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erg posted:

Medaka Box is a work of art and owns hardcore

I'm being completely sincere, Medaka Box kicks the poo poo out of every comic you just mentioned, and probably most of the stuff running in Jump right now

Indeed Medaka Box rules and I miss it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God Medaka Box was so good.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 17, 2017

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Dexo posted:

God Medaka Box was so good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It was the freshest.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Allarion posted:

IIRC Straighten Up took a big ratings hit along with a bunch of other newer series when Bleach and Nisekoi ended, and took a while to recover. That plus how bad and dull the last big arc was probably meant the author was told to hurry things along but not outright cancelled.

Also, loving lmao at Demon's Plan's ending. Desperately begging for a continuation right up to the last second.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
parts of it sucked really hard but the rest more than made up for it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

Indeed Medaka Box rules and I miss it.

Nothin is worse than explaining a joke you just made and that is that sod's entire writing style from cover to cover.

When the joke is "LOL JUMP IS THE PITS" that's just the cherry on top.

bondster posted:

Read U19, yea its loving terrible and not subtle at allllllll Grown Ups Party = G.U.P :cripes:
Oh god every time someone brings U19 up they find some new angle to the writing :cripes:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

bondster posted:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh god every time someone brings U19 up they find some new angle to the writing :cripes:

I must have scrolled past this like 5 times, and I just now got the "joke".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The most interesting way U19 could go is for the protagonist to organize an uprising and take over the school in a coup, setting it up as an independent state.

Also :10bux: says that he actually has an even higher genetic result than his childhood friend (maybe quadruple-S or S-star or something), based on the fact that he didn't want to look at the result in the first place and he's apparently "special" so he can awaken libido problems.

Also also, can we get a name change for this thread?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > The Miscellaneous Shounen Thread: Shonen Jump Manga Death Watch

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I started MEadaka Box cuz of this stupid thread and now I'm judging you all for the non-zero amount of HEY I LOOK LIKE A LITTLE GIRL BUT GUESS WHAT I'M AN ADULT/HIGH SCHOOLER characters

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Mikl posted:

The most interesting way U19 could go is for the protagonist to organize an uprising and take over the school in a coup, setting it up as an independent state.

Also :10bux: says that he actually has an even higher genetic result than his childhood friend (maybe quadruple-S or S-star or something), based on the fact that he didn't want to look at the result in the first place and he's apparently "special" so he can awaken libido problems.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > The Miscellaneous Shounen Thread: Shonen Jump Manga Death Watch

Libido powers won't be measured on the same scale that measures the genetic capacity, allowing him to still seem lovely while having the ability to wreck house. For that "underdog" feel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I started MEadaka Box cuz of this stupid thread and now I'm judging you all for the non-zero amount of HEY I LOOK LIKE A LITTLE GIRL BUT GUESS WHAT I'M AN ADULT/HIGH SCHOOLER characters

All two of them, as I recall? And also they are both great.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Whatever it was it's already too many for me, I avoid like 99.99% of anime/manga to avoid reading the series where a forty two year old woman looks like an eight year old or whatever

Still, it is kinda fun I guess. I'll just have to deal with the "typical" shounen creepo stuff this time

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

The most interesting way would be to make The Rulling Party right. That without thier guidance mankind is doomed to nothing but the struggle with not even a hole in the ground guaranteed at the end of the day.

That those with stands have the power to rule but not the knowledge and experience.

Make it a fight between an oppressive but safe Law or a free but blood soaked Chaos.

But that would require Nuance and Good Writing, both of which this comic (and Jump, by and large) are sorely lacking and with The Good For You party being aluded to as Nazis within page 8 of the story any chance of them being painted as anything less than cackling villians is nonexistent.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 18, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

The most interesting way would be to make The Rulling Party right. That without thier guidance mankind is doomed to nothing but the struggle with not even a hole in the ground guaranteed at the end of the day.

We already know that they provide jobs/housing to everyone, and our limited view of outside characters (the main character's dad) seems to think it was a good idea. If they could just get rid of the "literal caste system" stuff it would be a pretty good society.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kuroyama posted:

I must have scrolled past this like 5 times, and I just now got the "joke".

I still don't get it. Is it a play on the German Worker's Party? Grand Old Party? I don't know anything that shares that abbreviation.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Nalin posted:

I still don't get it. Is it a play on the German Worker's Party? Grand Old Party? I don't know anything that shares that abbreviation.

It's a play on the Grand Old Party, or GOP, an alternate name for the Republican party in American politics.

I think it's probably a touch added by the translators. Could anyone confirm?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe because GU sounds like the word "jiyuu" which means freedom?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

We already know that they provide jobs/housing to everyone, and our limited view of outside characters (the main character's dad) seems to think it was a good idea. If they could just get rid of the "literal caste system" stuff it would be a pretty good society.

The problem is that if, to pull from history, it came out that demons were eating children in the U19 setting it wouldn't be a suprise because of the whole Nazi imagry and without a reveal like that to dismiss the society's good then it really just make the protagonist look like an arsewipe.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just read U19. It's... Something alright.

I haven't really read much straight up shonen (mostly a SOL, josei/shoujo, fantasy, and/or comedy manga reader these days), so now that most of the major Jump series are done, it's really interesting to see what they're trying to fill the void up with and I find it fascinating how these premises try to one up each other in batshit or normalsauce.