Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Has anyone else wondered if Mikaila isn't actually dead?

We know that Bastion was involved in Duane's assassination, considers it botched, and is responsible for un-deading Duane. But we also know he philosophically objects to death, and we've seen him medically assisting total strangers before - both the victims of the Nevergreen fight and Kara, way back in the early chapters. It seems totally out of character for him to have stood by and let Miki bleed to death.

Like, the only person who told Duane anything was Lemuel, and Lemuel's behavior has been suspicious enough that Lemuel may have been involved in the assassination attempt himself. If that was the case, he'd have every reason to lie to Duane so he wouldn't try to go back to his family.

It does seem like whatever Bastion did to bring Duane back wasn't a planned thing - something he did on a last-minute impulse, and he was under the belief that it didn't work. SOMEBODY had to drive him off the scene if that was the case - why else wouldn't he have known about Duane's continued existence?

Mikaila is dead according to Ashley- her body was burned before Duane's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Fabricated posted:

Mikaila is dead according to Ashley- her body was burned before Duane's.

Unless I missed something in the Q&A tumblr, all we know for sure is that Lemuel told Duane that. And Lem is, as we've just been discussing, an extremely untrustworthy individual.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also I'd like to say that I was an entrant in the fanworks contest and partly used ideas that I saw being discussed in this thread, so thanks thread, you made me money.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hey, title drop!

Also, I just can't see why Lem would agree to the conspiracy. Like, they would have to have his family at gunpoint? I just don't want to believe it. I'll be mad if the motivation was "I've always been secretly jealous of you" or some poo poo.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Duane is a high-placed and well-liked Ssaelit official, who was on track for even further promotion up until he punched an rear end in a top hat politician in the face. Duane's brother probably believes in Alderode, or Ssael, or both, enough to sacrifice his brother if he believes that's what's required to save everyone else. The false flag was specifically directed at Cresce and Gefendur.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I don't even think it's personal, I think Lem had been descending into religious fanaticism for quite a while. Look at how he behaves on the current page. The whole "everybody can be Ssaelit" is one of the core tenants of the religion, and here Lem is talking about how Crescians can rot, which is basically the most extreme curse the Ssaelit can make.

I can't figure out what the endgame is for the Aldish, though. Duane's assassination definitely served to further tensions between the Aldish Gefendur and Ssaelit, but it seems like doing that would just weaken Alderode in its perpetual cold war with Cresce. If it came down to a religion-based Aldish civil war it definitely seems like the Ssaelit would have stood on the losing end of it, both because of their lack of numbers due to the weeping plague and because if the Crescians did sweep in during the fighting, they DEFINITELY would plan to mass-murder all the Ssaelits.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ssaelits can't catch a break with anybody. Everyone who isn't one seems to dislike them on principle - probably due to their diecidal tenets - and Alderode really only permits them religious freedom insofar as the Ssaelit bloc bolsters their manpower against Cresce. Should Cresce ever conquer the place, they'd definitely wipe them out, but they'd also get wiped out by their fellow Alds should Cresce ever cease to be a factor.

Really, the only move that affords them real long-term stability is prolonging the current status quo. A victory for Alderode or Cresce would mean their systematic irradication.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Honestly my assumption was that Duane's assassination was intended as the false flagging of a false flag? Make it seem like cresce was trying to false flag to run up the Aldish Gefendur hate for Cresce. May have misinterpreted it I guess.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I don't even think it's personal, I think Lem had been descending into religious fanaticism for quite a while. Look at how he behaves on the current page. The whole "everybody can be Ssaelit" is one of the core tenants of the religion, and here Lem is talking about how Crescians can rot, which is basically the most extreme curse the Ssaelit can make.

I can't figure out what the endgame is for the Aldish, though. Duane's assassination definitely served to further tensions between the Aldish Gefendur and Ssaelit, but it seems like doing that would just weaken Alderode in its perpetual cold war with Cresce. If it came down to a religion-based Aldish civil war it definitely seems like the Ssaelit would have stood on the losing end of it, both because of their lack of numbers due to the weeping plague and because if the Crescians did sweep in during the fighting, they DEFINITELY would plan to mass-murder all the Ssaelits.

On the other hand the Ssaelit military we've seen has been confidant that they could win a war against the Aldish Gefendur even if it would be a pyrrhic victory in the end.

reignonyourparade posted:

Honestly my assumption was that Duane's assassination was intended as the false flagging of a false flag? Make it seem like cresce was trying to false flag to run up the Aldish Gefendur hate for Cresce. May have misinterpreted it I guess.

Duane became a political liability the moment he threw away the chance to be a composer, explaining why would make the Ssaelit look weaker and expose internal divisions that would further embolden their political opponents. Ultimately he's a preacher and a single skilled mage, as a martyr he unifies the Ssaelits.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Specifically, the killing was cast as Crescian Gefendur trying to encourage their Aldish counterparts to ditch the whole "living together in peace and harmony" thing and attack their Ssaelit brethren. As is the usual procedure in false flag operations, the idea is to encourage the exact opposite thing to happen, since the people you don't like theoretically want it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Tensions seem so high between the two faiths in Alderode that that seems unlikely, though. The reasoning behind Duane's assassination is SO plausible for the political situation that I don't see it being interpreted as anything other than exactly what it looks like, especially since it was that same day the temple got confirmation that the Gefendur were trying the rebalancing plan.

But Lemuel says here: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_71.html "Better they obliterate us entirely than insult us with minority status." I wonder if he's not overstating and literally believes that to be true?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Tensions seem so high between the two faiths in Alderode that that seems unlikely, though. The reasoning behind Duane's assassination is SO plausible for the political situation that I don't see it being interpreted as anything other than exactly what it looks like, especially since it was that same day the temple got confirmation that the Gefendur were trying the rebalancing plan.

The gamble of the false flag here is that nationalism can counter religious enmity. Sure, it's all well and good when Aldish Gefendur want to take advantage of a loving plague to politically sideline the Ssaelit, but getting help from goddamn Crescians? gently caress that! If anything, they'd have to abandon the re-balancing just to show their loyalty to Alderode and distance themselves from Crescian terrorists.

Dunno, that seems plausible to me.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

The gamble of the false flag here is that nationalism can counter religious enmity. Sure, it's all well and good when Aldish Gefendur want to take advantage of a loving plague to politically sideline the Ssaelit, but getting help from goddamn Crescians? gently caress that! If anything, they'd have to abandon the re-balancing just to show their loyalty to Alderode and distance themselves from Crescian terrorists.

Dunno, that seems plausible to me.

Also the Ssaelit politicians could probably spin giving up on getting a composer in exchange for sidelining the census so the Gefendur politicians can feel like their getting something for bowing to (presumed) public sentiment.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is back, by the way. Latest pages are pretty good too; Quigley is delightfully petty.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To be fair, if I caught my son playing with dolls and one of them was me and that doll was getting chumped, I'd probably be a little bothered myself.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Sharteshane Domination!

Raposa fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 20, 2017

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

She's got a point: taking what you want is honest hard work!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Why do I keep running into these solid works of fiction that are nowhere near complete and interesting enough that it makes the wait for more a pain? I better start setting far future alerts in my agenda and just ignore this until then. If I had discovered this in the middle of the Evergreen Hell saga I would have been miffed to say the least.

So basically this is some good stuff is what I'm saying. :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ow

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey, waterfall dude survived. Not looking fantastic (and apparently bandaging himself up in a really fucky way), but living, let alone being able to move under his own power, is far more than I expected.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
On the bright side, he can do the Spock salute like a pro.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Cope insists Sette's name is pronounced 'Setty' and Duane is pronounce Do-ann or someshit.

Its 'Set' and "Do-ayne', anything else is objectively wrong, its the jif thing all over again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Setty@Home

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raposa posted:

Sharteshane Domination!

shart pryde

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Cope insists Sette's name is pronounced 'Setty' and Duane is pronounce Do-ann or someshit.

Its 'Set' and "Do-ayne', anything else is objectively wrong, its the jif thing all over again.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I can't imagine not pronouncing it "Setty", although I had no idea on Duane until I listened to one of the audio files of her pronouncing it on her Q&A thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think "setty" is some kind of furniture, but it never mattered enough to me to internalize.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

I can't imagine not pronouncing it "Setty", although I had no idea on Duane until I listened to one of the audio files of her pronouncing it on her Q&A thing.

trailing -ette being pronounced just et is common enough

i never thought it'd be setty rather than set myself

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If I was going for Setty I'd probably stick a ' in there like Set'te, problem is that poo poo visually looks pretentious and unrealistic when applied to the context of mealy mouthed criminal dock-whalloping sharts. Problem is making it 'setty' and 'Do-yane-uh' or whatever basically already sounds like a bad case of 'standard fantasy naming' especially when they're next to 'Matty' and 'Quigley' and 'Jivi' which are all pretty drat good names.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty sure the joke is supposed to be Duane's a(n admittedly lovable) pretentious nerd and wants to introduce himself with a cool fantasy name but everyone just calls him Dwayne. I'd say Ashley Cope's being pretty self-aware here. She even brings this up in the first comic where he's named, which I posted previously. He might be "Do-ahn" in Aldish but everyone else calls him "Do-ayne" for sure.

"Setty" doesn't strike me as particularly weird pronounciation by contrast, though I still read it as "Set."

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 26, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Duane Adelier" definitely looks like fantasy French so I can get the -ann rather than -ane pronunciation.

Sette could have been Settie.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Ashley has said more then once before that in Alderode they would use the fancier "Do-ann" pronunciation but the southern countries we have encountered would usually go with "Dwayne".

If you have ever heard her pronounce most of her made up words, many of them don't sound like what most people would think based on the way she spells them, which is, whatever I guess.

She also has said "say stuff however you want I'm not worried about it" so it's not like she is fuming over people not pronouncing her fantasy words with unintuitive spelling the way she does.

I'm not sure why she does it but she has definately put a bunch of thought in to it.

Another one that bugs me, apparantly "Khert" is "Zurt" or something.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Motherfucker posted:

If I was going for Setty I'd probably stick a ' in there like Set'te, problem is that poo poo visually looks pretentious and unrealistic when applied to the context of mealy mouthed criminal dock-whalloping sharts. Problem is making it 'setty' and 'Do-yane-uh' or whatever basically already sounds like a bad case of 'standard fantasy naming' especially when they're next to 'Matty' and 'Quigley' and 'Jivi' which are all pretty drat good names.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sette could have been Settie.

People, come on. You're only finding this strange because English orthography has this strange fetish for silent terminal Es. Reading "Sette" as "Se-te" is probably the most natural interpretation of that string. I mean, I suspect Cope didn't intend for that "t" to be geminate, so the second should probably be dropped. But there's really no good reason to replicate English's bizarre orthographical contortions in your fantasy conlangs.

If anything, I think if you're going to lean hard into that poo poo you should probably do the exact opposite. Readers already have such a difficult time with made up fantasy words, you really want to use the simplest, most straightforward, most rigorously consistent orthography you can construct.

Of course, Cope then proceeds to stick a silent e on the end of "Duane" so gently caress it all I guess nothing matters. :geno:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If you want to hear her pronounce the names, you can get them in the video here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/502093706/unsounded-comic-volume-1

Khert is pronounced /xert/ according to the wiki, which I believe would be a k-like sound (or more specifically the ch sound from "loch ness") followed by an e like "met" or "bed" with a terminal t sound. So more like kehrt, which I think lines up with the way I've heard her say it (although I can't dig up the audio right now).

EDIT: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:IPA_pronunciation_key may be a useful resource if you see people write things like "/xert/".

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 26, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Kh being pronounced as a guttural "ch" sound in the back of the throat (ejective, think the ch in "bach") is a really alien concept for english speakers, but it's common in Armenian and Georgian. Sounds like Ashley has been mining some obscure resources for her cultures, which is great. :science:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Rime posted:

Kh being pronounced as a guttural "ch" sound in the back of the throat (ejective, think the ch in "bach") is a really alien concept for english speakers, but it's common in Armenian and Georgian. Sounds like Ashley has been mining some obscure resources for her cultures, which is great. :science:

I'm pretty sure that /x/ is not ejective. Are you thinking of /kʼ/?

With the amount of thought she's given into name pronunciation, I'm more than a little disappointed she didn't actually work on real conlangs for the universe—even just a naming language for phonetic/morphemic consistency would be nice.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Axiem posted:

I'm pretty sure that /x/ is not ejective. Are you thinking of /kʼ/?

With the amount of thought she's given into name pronunciation, I'm more than a little disappointed she didn't actually work on real conlangs for the universe—even just a naming language for phonetic/morphemic consistency would be nice.

Tainish is actually fairly developed. She's not Tolkien or whatever, but she has made grammatical and spelling rules for it. There's a short guide for the language in the second book she made, I think.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
For as much as Duane blusters he isn't really wrong about how Cresce and its upper echelons are lodged completely up their own rear end. Alderode's shown politicking seems pretty bog-standard poo poo to me where Cresce is starting to come off as particularly diseased in places.

Granted, if I had to pick I'd definitely loving live in Cresce.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This reminds me that in one of the really early chapters, Duane found a belt buckle or something from a Crescian soldier that said "Republic of Cresce" on it (iirc). Was that retconned or are they going with the Roman principate "We're totally a republic even though we have a monarch, honest!" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
General Bell is becoming one of this comic's most repugnant characters with impressive speed.