Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Just throwing it out there: what new Broadcast Agreement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

Use the high ground to establish a fortified location, like an Iron Age hill fort; from there, you can control and defend the surrounding farmsteads and trade routes

The high ground is city link. Would transurban be OK with that? Also cafes basically = farms yeah

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

Just throwing it out there: what new Broadcast Agreement?

Not new, just starting this year:

The new deal will see Channel Seven, Foxtel and Telstra continue as the League's broadcasters under the new deal, which will run from 2017 to 2022.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-18/afl-on-the-verge-of-signing-new-tv-deal

http://eftm.com.au/2017/02/fans-outraged-at-new-afl-digital-broadcast-rights-no-full-screen-video-on-ipad-36745

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
So pay $80 a month for Foxtel with sports HD, watch at a max screen size of 7" or find some other way to stream the games to enjoy your footy until 2023 at the earliest. :bravo:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hopefully by then google is streaming other sports and buys the broadcast rights for the afl.

Maybe by then most homes will be connected with cable nbn (haha yeah right) so people can at least stream it in 720p.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
WatchAFL worked fine for me last night, probably five instances of pausing due to buffer the whole match, and my internet usually can't get through a round of titanfall without making GBS threads itself entirely.

Hopefully I continue to be one of the lucky ones I guess

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Pity about the streaming making it hard to watch the game. From what I did see it looks like Fantasia has picked up where he left off last year and it was good to see the returning players make it through without any injuries and looking in reasonable touch.

I thought Langford might have done a bit more given the way his preseason has been talked about.

snaeksikn posted:

Is Mcdonald-Tipingwuti rocking a Mohawk now?

I think it's a dreadhawk pulled back into a manbun

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah I had no buffering issues with watchafl last night, although admittedly only watched 1 quarter. The quality of the stream was really good...I just don't want to watch non FTA games on my phone is all

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The afl live app doesn't even full screen streams on a tablet :psyduck:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The afl live app doesn't even full screen streams on a tablet :psyduck:

that's what we've been talking about muyb

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

that's what we've been talking about muyb

I assumed you were all huddled around a phone like a bunch of tubes

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Not exactly the most reliable sources but it's still interesting:

https://www.zerohanger.com/ricky-nixon-explains-rorted-salary-cap-9852/ posted:

Ricky Nixon explains how he rorted salary cap

Former AFL player agent Ricky Nixon outlined how he manoeuvred around the salary cap in two extraordinary Facebook posts.

Given his chequered history, everything Nixon says must be taken with a grain of salt. But if what he has written is true then they are some explosive claims.

Nixon’s first post outlined a deal he put together for Wayne Carey before the 2000 season. North Melbourne had just won a premiership and Nixon was aiming to get Carey a deal worth $1 million.
According to Nixon, in 2000 the AFL club salary cap was $2.5 million, so Carey’s salary would have taken up 40% of North’s cap.

North wanted to keep the premiership side together, so Nixon came up with a creative way to get his client the money.

“I created a company owned by Wayne Carey called Carey Promotions Pty Ltd. Wayne contractually sold his Intellectual Property (his identity, likeness etc) to the company for $2,” Nixon said.

“The company then licensed Wayne Carey’s IP to Flying Start (my company) for exclusive exploitation. I then licensed Wayne’s IP to North for $400,000 non exclusively.”

Nixon said after the deal he was called into the office of former AFL CEO Wayne Jackson and warned about his dealings. But that didn’t stop him.

He was also representing Essendon duo James Hird and Matthew Lloyd in the same year. Nixon explains that after the Carey deal was made, the AFL had cracked down on third party deals.

The timeline gets a little messy, but Nixon states that Essendon needed $500,000 salary cap relief to keep Hird and Lloyd at the club for the 2000 season.

Nixon came up with another way to get his clients the money.

“I registered the domain names https://www.jameshird.com.au and https://www.matthewlloyd.com.au sold the domain names to Essendon for $250,000 each …. Salary Cap problem gone,” he said.

“Instead of 3%, the usual fee, I classed it as marketing deal and took 20%.

“The boys didn’t care they were $200K richer and i upgraded from the SAAB to a BMW and whacked a deposit on the holiday house at Pt Lonsdale.”

Essendon went on to win the premiership later that year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So you're saying Essendon was cheating in the 2000 season?

I expect my commemorative drought breaking premiership memorabilia in the mail by Tuesday Gil.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
remember chris judd's visy ambassadorship to come to carlton?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
What the hell are the cats wearing?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also I swear the Matthew Lloyd website thing has been going around for years and years

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Roughy and jaeger looking good so far. Please no injuries

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I now know why Shiels is seen as a future leader at the Hawks. That was an off the ball elbow to the back of the head worthy of a Hawks leader.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Periphery posted:

What the hell are the cats wearing?

the Good poo poo

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The deliberate out of bounds decisions tonight and last night have been pretty bewildering

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

14-3 free kicks befor ehalf time :shepface:

e: 3rd quarter kings :smug:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 17, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Aaron Black - February Supasta

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

goal of the year already

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No Jaeger no hawks

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

No Jaeger no hawks

They did lose to Melbourne last year while he was out injured so I think you're right

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Hawthorn win already, this season is awful

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

So you're saying Essendon was cheating in the 2000 season?

I expect my commemorative drought breaking premiership memorabilia in the mail by Tuesday Gil.

They breached the salary cap from 1991-1996 which makes 1993 the only year a premiership side has breached the salary cap. It is also partially why Carlton got royally hosed in 2002, the AFL wanted to stop teams doing it, as more than half the teams had been breaching the salary cap in the late 90s.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

thepokey posted:

Hawthorn win already, this season is awful

counterpoint: Collingwood are at the bottom of the ladder. (In the womens comp.)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

They breached the salary cap from 1991-1996 which makes 1993 the only year a premiership side has breached the salary cap. It is also partially why Carlton got royally hosed in 2002, the AFL wanted to stop teams doing it, as more than half the teams had been breaching the salary cap in the late 90s.

get them to return the 93 and 2000 cups at the same time as Watson's brownlow, save on courier costs.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

get them to return the 93 and 2000 cups at the same time as Watson's brownlow, save on courier costs.

Right, and then you'll have Carlton bragging about being the outright most successful club. Be careful the monster you create.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I hope Tom Lamb plays a lot today.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So women's 12:05, men's 2:05 men's 4:40, women's 7:40? :getin:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

why are there people dressed up as whitegoods at the Giants v Freo game?????

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

also both teams jumpers have plain white backs with dark numbers on them so you have to go by the shorts to tell them apart, seriously dumb decision, why would they not have Freo wear their home strip?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Combo breaker

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Combo breaker

Save your energy, the demons are playing twice today

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nice bit of play for that goal and the lead, the kick going inside 50 was poor but they recovered

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
This Giants v Freo last quarter is intense af

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

TG-Chrono posted:

This Giants v Freo last quarter is intense af

The whole game has been good, especially for two of the tree teams that haven't yet won a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thank gently caress the umpire didn't pay a 50 on that

• Locked thread