Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sanford posted:

I just caught a bear with a moon on its face. Is that good? I don't know whats going on any more.

If you ever need to know if a poke is good, refer to this page.
https://thesilphroad.com/species-stats

Compare it to an existing poke that you have.

It looks like Heracross might be the Blissey-killer. Fighting STAB coupled with a very high attack stat will let it chew through the immense HP pool while the bug type will provide defense from psychic type moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wish Ledian had good stats because I really like it's design.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

eonwe posted:

alright I stopped playing for a while and every gym has strong as gently caress pokemon

am I basically supposed to grind my trainer level up to get a higher pokemon max like before or how does this work

You were supposed to never stop playing to be on par with the Level 35 players now that have a full roster of 3000+CP Dragonites for every gym they encounter.

I would actually love it if gyms were locked for certain player levels. I feel like a 5-15, 15-30, 30+ tiers would do so much to bring back the casual player back into the game. Let them give out a 1/2/3 coin bonus respectively.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Why are so many of the gen2 pokemons racist?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Astro7x posted:

You were supposed to never stop playing to be on par with the Level 35 players now that have a full roster of 3000+CP Dragonites for every gym they encounter.

I would actually love it if gyms were locked for certain player levels. I feel like a 5-15, 15-30, 30+ tiers would do so much to bring back the casual player back into the game. Let them give out a 1/2/3 coin bonus respectively.

This would be a good idea. Not that the gym is locked, but that 3 gyms exist concurrently and once you level out of the gym you get your 'mon back. Poof! A full gym gets a spot, and you have to work your rear end off again instead of resting on your drat laurels.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

It looks like Heracross might be the Blissey-killer. Fighting STAB coupled with a very high attack stat will let it chew through the immense HP pool while the bug type will provide defense from psychic type moves.

Good thing Heracross only spawns in South America/really south areas of Florida/Texas and whatnot, then. :(

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Polio Vax Scene posted:

But bug doesn't resist psychic and it's also part fighting so it's weak to psychic in the end? :confused:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
These hat crows are a plague.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

kuroiXiru posted:

I think you can use the Global Nest Atlas that way if you search for individual species.

Thanks for sharing, but I'm not looking for instances of a particular species though. I'm just curious about the general frequencies of spawns in a given biome, disregarding nests. I enjoy the posts when people share what's common and what's not in their area but I realize they can clutter up the thread and it's an inefficient way of compiling that data. I think it would be interesting to browse a map or spreadsheet and was wondering if anyone has made such a project. Especially now that we have a bunch of new species for which I haven't developed a rarity scale based on experience.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Visual Sneeze posted:

Is there some place to find (and submit, for that matter) data on the relative rarity of pokemon in this game, gen II or otherwise? Maybe something that archives scan query results so I can see "yeah there are like a billion Venonat in Portland but if you see a Geodude you should probably put some effort into getting it"?

e: nvm, not good

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 17, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, but it looks like Critical Captures are in the game now, too. I've gotten quite a few of them so far.

For anyone that's not familiar with it - it's a newish mechanic in the core games (introduced in Gen 5) where occasionally you'll throw a ball and get a much greater chance to capture the Pokemon. The ball will only shake once instead of three times before the capture.

In the games, your critical capture chance went up based on your Pokedex completion rate. I'm wondering if that's a factor in Go.

e: For the record, I currently have 159 caught in my Dex.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 17, 2017

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

DizzyBum posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, but it looks like Critical Captures are in the game now, too. I've gotten quite a few of them so far.

For anyone that's not familiar with it - it's a newish mechanic in the core games (introduced in Gen 5) where occasionally you'll throw a ball and get a much greater chance to capture the Pokemon. The ball will only shake once instead of three times before the capture.

In the games, your critical capture chance went up based on your Pokedex completion rate. I'm wondering if that's a factor in Go.

I've had it happen I think twice so far. Interesting, I thought it was lag.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

DizzyBum posted:

Are they? Is there a bonus that says critical capture? I ask because sometimes the game shits itself when it goes in and out of a network that looks like a critical capture but isn't.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

On a different note, I just caught a wild Pidgeot, so I was able to confirm that candy drops based on evolution stage are 3/5/10. :cool:

Louisgod posted:

Are they? Is there a bonus that says critical capture? I ask because sometimes the game shits itself when it goes in and out of a network that looks like a critical capture but isn't.

I don't remember seeing an XP bonus for it. I have definitely seen a couple instances where the ball shook once and then clicked with a slightly different star animation. I'm also seeing scattered reports on Reddit.

Pretty drat sure it wasn't lag since when that happens the ball will never shake and then you get a long pause before the game catches up and captures/releases.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Had a crash rob me of a Wooper capture, 0/10 worst update

Seriously though I think I'm going to take the next couple weeks to just work on my pokedex and get candy/dust and let someone else figure out the new gym meta. I did notice my Vaporeons were weak (they attack so slowly now) and if you ever get a Flareon to pop flamethrower it loving hurts. That's about the extent of my gym knowledge.

e: also I'm positive I will see a level 10 gym with 10 blisseys any minute now

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

On a different note, I just caught a wild Pidgeot, so I was able to confirm that candy drops based on evolution stage are 3/5/10. :cool:

Good to know. A pinap berry on a Furret got me 9 candy total so I'm assuming they're 2/4/6 bonus candy.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Psion posted:

Had a crash rob me of a Wooper capture, 0/10 worst update

Seriously though I think I'm going to take the next couple weeks to just work on my pokedex and get candy/dust and let someone else figure out the new gym meta. I did notice my Vaporeons were weak (they attack so slowly now) and if you ever get a Flareon to pop flamethrower it loving hurts. That's about the extent of my gym knowledge.

e: also I'm positive I will see a level 10 gym with 10 blisseys any minute now

Speaking of which, there is a distinct lack of :wooper: in the OP. Please fix.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Good to know. A pinap berry on a Furret got me 9 candy total so I'm assuming they're 2/4/6 bonus candy.

It's actually double candy. There's a minor display bug where the result window shows 1 less candy than what you actually got.

For example, I used a Pinap Berry on Pidgeot and caught it, then the window said 19 candy, then the corner actually said +20. I checked my candy total and confirmed +20 was correct.

e: sorry for double post

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I have my phone plugged into my work laptop and the battery is barely able to break even whereas prior versions has at least charged a bit while playing. Really annoying.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DizzyBum posted:

On a different note, I just caught a wild Pidgeot, so I was able to confirm that candy drops based on evolution stage are 3/5/10. :cool

Does that mean the Double Candy berry will get 20 candies on a Dragonite? Potentially giving 40 candies during a double candy event? I guess that could even the playing field

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Does that mean the Double Candy berry will get 20 candies on a Dragonite? Potentially giving 40 candies during a double candy event? I guess that could even the playing field

It should do exactly that, unless for some reason they tweaked candy rates on different species or they didn't allow Pinap berries to stack with event bonuses. I don't see why they would bother doing either of those things, though.

e: VVVVVV I meant more like "oh, Pidgey line will give 3/5/10 but Dratini will give 3/4/5" or some bullshit like that. But like I said, I really don't think that is the case. I'm just playing devil's advocate. :v:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 17, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Dratini definitely gives double candy with the berry so there's no reason why Dragonite shouldn't too.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I caught a Seadra with a Double Berry earlier and it gave 10 candy, so it works on Evolutions confirmed.

Now if I could just find a drat dragon Scale

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
E: I'm a moron

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 17, 2017

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Yeah, I got 10 candy off Pupitar

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Caught a miltank, and hatched a phanpy!

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I hatched 6 eggs definitely got after the event and every single one was Gen 1. :|

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
If you started a new game, would you have a choice of all 6 starters?

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
No, someone on Reddit tried, and was still presented with the original three.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

So Blissey is apparently pretty broken. All of the gyms around me are level one with nothing but a giant blissey on them. It's impossible to widdle down its HP before the time runs out, so it's impossible to take them down if they're opposing or level up prestige if they're friendly. Cool.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

So Blissey is apparently pretty broken. All of the gyms around me are level one with nothing but a giant blissey on them. It's impossible to widdle down its HP before the time runs out, so it's impossible to take them down if they're opposing or level up prestige if they're friendly. Cool.

Seems the only way is to gangbang the gym
Has anyone not timed out when battling alone?

Caught a tree dude. I renamed him Groot.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
List of legacy moves and new moves
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/5uiwpu/gen_2_release_centralized_facts/

Looks like Dodrio and Kingler might not be trash anymore.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
got a sun stone after about 70 stops. now if I could only figure out which guys used it without googling!
edit: just gloom, OK.
I think next week I'll take note of pokestops in the journal and log how many I spin per day and how many items I get.

and man I wish I could reroll moves, especially Machamp, who appears like he's going to be one of the most important attackers now

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 18, 2017

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yay, I got a Metal Coat! I have an absolutely crappy 120CP Onix and a decent Scyther who only has three candies to his name!

... yay, I got a Metal Coat! :banjo:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

got a sun stone after about 70 stops. now if I could only figure out which guys used it without googling!
edit: just gloom, OK.
I think next week I'll take note of pokestops in the journal and log how many I spin per day and how many items I get.

and man I wish I could reroll moves, especially Machamp, who appears like he's going to be one of the most important attackers now

Sunkern also uses the sun stone to become Sunflora.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's s the best moveset for my blissey to have if I want to be an annoying jerk

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr Tran posted:

List of legacy moves and new moves
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/5uiwpu/gen_2_release_centralized_facts/

Looks like Dodrio and Kingler might not be trash anymore.

holy crap they gave seaking a water-type move :eyepop:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The new evolution sound is horrifying. When some hp lovecraft aping motherfucker says you hear some hosed up otherworldly keening, this has to be what he's talking about.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's s the best moveset for my blissey to have if I want to be an annoying jerk

It doesn't matter, their massive HP pool is annoying enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dazzling gleam does extra damage to a bunch of the high CP attackers like Dragonite, and against fighting types which are strong* vs normal pokemon. I think for the quick attacks you just want the highest damage you can because cooldowns don't matter for defenders. It's not like lick snorlaxes attack faster than headbutt ones.

*Lol, good fighting pokemon. Whatever those are.

E: So I have a 100% IV abra, but it is level one. Is it worth evolving to see if it gets a solid moveset and then trying to level it from one to something that could matter?

• Locked thread