Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

^ The ARCA race and Clash are definitely on Saturday.

TY fixed.. autoweeks' site has 0 formatting for the date, I thought friday night was odd but hey nascar is now running a 3 segment Daytona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

tater_salad posted:

Friday the 24th
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series NextEra Energy Resources 250, 7:30 p.m., FS1, SRA?

SRA! http://gmsracing.net/news/?cid=66154
And Chase Elliott the race after that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

By the way I have discovered my 2017 Nascar wish.

Jr wins all races except the last one losing the championship, because he gets DQd for his body repairs taking longer than 5 min.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

SRA! http://gmsracing.net/news/?cid=66154
And Chase Elliott the race after that.

Still can't buy a dammed hat though. Mines getting dirty and I wanted to buy one for my Daytona 500 patty bingo.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

tater_salad posted:

By the way I have discovered my 2017 Nascar wish.

Jr wins all races except the last one losing the championship, because he gets DQd for his body repairs taking longer than 5 min.

More realistically, and just as effective at making a joke of NASCAR: Johnson will go on a tear this season, winning at least 7, maybe as many as 11 or 12 races, cruise through the chase playoffs, and then end up 4th.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah but I feel like if JR nation gets boned of a championship because of all these dumb as gently caress point systems and rules that will have the biggest fan impact and voice for Nascar to go back to norma.... hahaha who the gently caress am I kidding they'll make it even more insane.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
So who's NASCAR going to fix to win the pole?

My bet's on any of these:
Dale Jr (back after time off from concussion)
Michael Waltrip (last race. lol okay maybe not)
Daniel Suarez (first Cup start + Hispanic driver, double good)
Erik Jones (fresh young talent, first season, and a new team)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It'll be Junior

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Reminder, MONSTER ENERGY FANTASY NASCAR CUP 2017!

https://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/group/4769

ID: 4769
PW: SRA

L_Harrison posted:

So who's NASCAR going to fix to win the pole?

My bet's on any of these:
Dale Jr (back after time off from concussion)
Michael Waltrip (last race. lol okay maybe not)
Daniel Suarez (first Cup start + Hispanic driver, double good)
Erik Jones (fresh young talent, first season, and a new team)

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of which, who's ready for 2017 Daytona 500 Polesitter Dale "The Comeback Story" Earnhardt, Jr.?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Yeah, putting stages on the Daytona 500....

I was going to take the night off to watch it but gently caress it. This whole thing is retarded.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Danica getting the pole again, that doesn't sound gentlemanly.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

mischief posted:

Yeah, putting stages on the Daytona 500....

I was going to take the night off to watch it but gently caress it. This whole thing is retarded.

I mean, is it any worse than calm racing for 450 miles and then all the GWC's?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CBJSprague24 posted:

That B list gently caress

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Prepare to burn through your Suarez/Jones picks by week 12

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

kidcoelacanth posted:

Is Ty Dillon going full time, or is he just getting certain races? Even if he were full time I guess that still leaves the C list 9 races short on full time drivers not guaranteed to finish 30th or worse.

E: Also I get that Buesher made the chase but how is he on the B list? I wouldn't even want him on the C list if I could avoid it. Ragan, Menard, Stenhouse, and Patrick should all be C list in my opinion as well. It would at least give the C list some options.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 17, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Is Ty Dillon going full time, or is he just getting certain races? Even if he were full time I guess that still leaves the C list 9 races short on full time drivers not guaranteed to finish 30th or worse.

E: Also I get that Buesher made the chase but how is he on the B list? I wouldn't even want him on the C list if I could avoid it. Ragan, Menard, Stenhouse, and Patrick should all be C list in my opinion as well. It would at least give the C list some options.

Dillon is full-time. And Buescher isn't too crazy for b-list, JTG is a pretty decent B-level team at this point and Buescher has a lot of talent

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

That's what I said about Elliott/Blaney and I wound up with Blaney plays to give at the end of the season.

...now, granted, two drivers having extended injuries and Brian Vickers, Ty Dillon, Alex Bowman in a competitive ride, and Jeff Goddamn Gordon on the C-list probably won't be an option to save us this year, so I embrace our fate which is very creative picks at times during the season.

VikingSkull posted:

This is why I've kind of bit my tongue on the segments. If you look through all the bullshit gimmicks NASCAR is using to try and sell this to people, it's really just two cautions.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's the caution clock where you get some points. I'll watch Daytona and hope the big one happens at the end of the first segment knocking out 2/3rds of the field because they can't fix the damage in under 5 minutes.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

daslog posted:

It's the caution clock where you get some points. I'll watch Daytona and hope the big one happens at the end of the first segment knocking out 2/3rds of the field because they can't fix the damage in under 5 minutes.

Attrition races own so hell yeah

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hard not to view the segment races as a response to the lack of attrition these days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

in as Buffdaddy HD for the moment. nascar fantasy is blocked at work so i cant wait to miss setting my lineup in half the races.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

We will see how crazy it gets.. I mean you get 10 extra points for winning the segment. Not sure if it counts as a win for the chase.. and they don't all go down pit road etc.. it's basically the Cup version of the caution clock, with some points attached to it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I dunno, personally I think the segments are the least of NASCAR's issues right now, I'm fine with them.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just for reference.

2016 bonus points available for taking into round one of chase: 48
2017 bonus points available for taking into EVERY round of the chase: 112 (+21 more each round)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

You guys want some more changes to go with your changes? HAVE SOME MORE CHANGES! A NEW PENALTY STRUCTURE!:

quote:

"Our goal was to be able to, more like football or basketball or any sporting event to where we could officiate and police within the event," Sawyer told NASCAR.com. "I think the real message is that we want to get these infractions, the smaller infractions, we want to get them corrected at the race track.

"It's very similar to a 15-yard penalty. If you can get three 15-yard penalties and you can still win the game or drive down and score a touchdown, then good for you. If we can issue these penalties and you lose pit selection or you start at the back or a drive-through (penalty), and you can still come back and win the race, well then we feel like what that infraction was, the penalty fits the crime."

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/2/16/nascar-announces-new-deterrence-penalty-policy.html

They just can't stop tinkering.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

You guys want some more changes to go with your changes? HAVE SOME MORE CHANGES! A NEW PENALTY STRUCTURE!:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/2/16/nascar-announces-new-deterrence-penalty-policy.html

If you commit pass interference you will be forced to give up the position and will need to repeat the current down (lap)
Personal fouls will result in nascar disabling 2 cylinders for 30 seconds remotely.

I know that segmented races aren't NASCARs biggest issue but they way they are going about it I don't think is going to create the excitement they think it is. But maybe I'm wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I dunno, personally I think the segments are the least of NASCAR's issues right now, I'm fine with them.

My hope is that the segments work well enough to contrive excitement that NASCAR no longer feels the need to throw unnecessary cautions to bunch the field up. Of course, yes, I am a child.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

"No mans land...Use of telemetry"

I have never understood this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm watching a compilation of the best finishes from last year (there's a lot of good ones!) and it's incredible to hear just how much DW's commentary these days is just incoherent babbling and blatantly playing favorites. Please take him out of the booth, it's awful.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 17, 2017

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I hope we're all ready to hear DW try to explain the new format changes multiple times during every single race.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm watching a compilation of the best finishes from last year (there's a lot of good ones!) and it's incredible to hear just how much DW's commentary these days is just incoherent babbling and blatantly playing favorites. Please take him out of the booth, it's awful.

I was watching a clip recently of Johnson's hard it at Daytona a couple years back, where I think Sadler hooks him into the wall, and DW can't stop fawning over Danica's totally out of control car sliding perfectly between two other out of control cars. Sure, it's pretty cool how well it threads the needle, but he's trying to give her credit for it and I'm pretty sure she doesn't even have her hands on the wheel.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

mearn posted:

I hope we're all ready to hear DW try to explain the new format changes multiple times during every single race.

Oh god

Let's go segment racing boys AND DANICA

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Like listen to the finishes of the first phoenix race and Sonoma,which should be great calls, but dw is just yelling over everyone.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

mearn posted:

If we have to hear "Boogity Boogity Boogity!" three times a race I'm going to break my TV before the 500 is over.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

Like listen to the finishes of the first phoenix race and Sonoma,which should be great calls, but dw is just yelling over everyone.

The 500 is the most egregious to me because he's not even yelling words, just sounds.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

wicka posted:

My hope is that the segments work well enough to contrive excitement that NASCAR no longer feels the need to throw unnecessary cautions to bunch the field up. Of course, yes, I am a child.

It worked in Trucks with the caution clock.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My dumbass take is this, and it's somewhat based on what Dale Sr. said back in the day:

quote:

Don't forget it was Dale Earnhardt who once said, "watch the first 10 laps, mow your yard, take a nap and then watch the last 10 laps", and that was followed a few years later by his son saying: "we need to cut a couple of hours out of these races."

Solution? Just make the races shorter. Save for Daytona, Charlotte, Talladega and Darlington? There's no reason to go the length these races do. Could even divide the races up and make them "twin weekends" thus kinda making them more of a fun weekend, and less likely for us to suffer through a garbage XFS race at the same track, on the same weekend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Things used to happen before the last 50 laps. Cars would get better or worse in long runs on fresh/worn rubber, drivers would slowly get their car dialed in and find pace over 500 miles, people would blow up, or wreck. A lot of the variability and unpredictability is now gone.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Things used to happen before the last 50 laps. Cars would get better or worse in long runs on fresh/worn rubber, drivers would slowly get their car dialed in and find pace over 500 miles, people would blow up, or wreck. A lot of the variability and unpredictability is now gone.

yeah the lack of attrition really fucks with the sport it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Last year's Dover spring race was incredible because it had actually good hard racing for the lead through the entire back half of the race. It's a shame that's such an outlier.

• Locked thread