Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Oh yea, we'll have 2 child seats for sure. I just mean for actually getting the kid in there, and then really fitting once it goes to forward facing, just wondering if it would be too tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

TheFonz posted:

Does anyone have experience putting a carseat in the back of a 2015+ Mustang? I see a bit in this thread, but all my searches turned up pre 2015.

I assume it is a bitch, but is it want to kill yourself doing it everyday or just, man this sucks doing it everyday?

I have successfully transported three small children in car seats in my 2011.

It was neither pretty nor easy.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Almost crashed into somebody at a stop light the other day. I was creasing a hill and it happened so fast I really thought it was my fault for not being careful.

Well, as I was approaching another stoplight, I noticed the same problem. Brake pedal pressed to the floor, RPM's rose to 1.2k

Well after the first incident i had my brakes changed, but with this new RPM change I'm a little more worried.

Thoughts?
2013 mustang GT

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That reminds me of the fun quirk that happens with my car, upon heavy braking the rpms will dip. This caused the engine to actually cut out once, while I was in the middle of making a turn.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Does the brake pedal slowly sink to the floor when you're at a stop?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Does the brake pedal slowly sink to the floor when you're at a stop?

Yeah I can push it to the floor stop.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

RFC2324 posted:

Everyone I see just puts it in and leaves it there. Buy a second carseat if you need one for a second car.

For my infant rear-facing seat we just bought another base, it's not that bad in my opinion. I'm not taking my kid in it every day but it's not a problem the 2-3 times a week I'm doing it. My wife even fits in the front with the rear facing seat in the back (GT350 recaros).

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
x-post from "people we share the road with" thread.

eighty-four merc posted:

Customer put our 2500-mile 2014 Shelby GT500 through a fence and then through a lightpole within 30 seconds of taking the wheel.

Guess he was some rich Canadian tech rear end in a top hat who had an expired license, but our GM approved test drive. We're gonna need a second wall.

Pretty sad day.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh no now what will someone do with the garage space a dumb gt500 would have been parked in 364 days a year.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elephanthead posted:

Oh no now what will someone do with the garage space a dumb gt500 would have been parked in 364 days a year.

I think it's more an issue of "unlicensed foreigner wrote off a car that did not belong to him," but if he's loaded I guess you can just send him a bill.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Was he friends with the GM? I'm guessing insurance won't cover it because of the licence, so I hope your shop can get him to pay out personally.

Still sucks though, what a shame. But on the other hand, good engine and trans for a swap.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 12, 2017

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Not really sure how it all happened exactly, but it was a comedy of errors that ended with the dude frantically climbing out the driver window and screaming about how the tires are poo poo, the car is poo poo, etc. It was a warm, dry day too. And a salesperson drove him around awhile before letting him drive, so it's not like tires were cold. Just too much car.

They made dude sign a thing saying it was his now, but I don't know if it was any more binding than an IOU.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

As Nero Danced posted:

Was he friends with the GM? I'm guessing insurance won't cover it because of the licence, so I hope your shop can get him to pay out personally.

Still sucks though, what a shame. But on the other hand, good engine and trans for a swap.

I'm guessing the dealership will fire a few techs to make up for the whole thing.

Also of interest to me, how much would insurance pay out to the dealer in this instance? MSRP?

EDIT: Assuming they accept the claim and don't deny it as previously speculated.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 12, 2017

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

eighty-four merc posted:

Not really sure how it all happened exactly, but it was a comedy of errors that ended with the dude frantically climbing out the driver window and screaming about how the tires are poo poo, the car is poo poo, etc. It was a warm, dry day too. And a salesperson drove him around awhile before letting him drive, so it's not like tires were cold. Just too much car.

They made dude sign a thing saying it was his now, but I don't know if it was any more binding than an IOU.

Do you know if he signed it before or after the crash? It might be non-binding if it was after the crash, considering he was likely to be rattled and not in the right state of mind to sign a contract. I'm not a lawyer, but if he pushed it I don't know how well that would do in court.

Then again, he clearly hosed up after being instructed how to operate the vehicle safely, and I don't know if he assumes full responsibility for his actions when he drives without a license. This will be interesting to see how it plays out. Your GM definitely screwed up by letting him behind the wheel. Hope the heat doesn't come down on you or anyone else.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

My boss, the other used car guy, did inspection because he was SVT certified when he worked at Ford store. I rode along with him for test drive. Way too much car for me, holy poo poo. Breaks the tires loose at any speed in any gear by opening throttle. Car was mint, I don't think anything could come back on us, or anyone, except no one in sales noticing his Albertan (or whatever) license was expired.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I am just glad the GM approved test drive, and not someone who can be made to fall on their sword so to speak.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Hit an important milestone on Friday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4BHS-6kKH0

(safely and responsibly in the empty cul-de-sac in front of my house during a school day)

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
I am contemplating a murder car but I want to reduce costs so I was thinking of going for a low mileage v6 probably circa 06-10 based on my preliminary searches. Will an old murder car also murder my wallet with repair expenses or can you expect them to reasonably hit 200,000 plus km/15 years old without needing repairs worth more than the car itself?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Business Octopus posted:

I am contemplating a murder car but I want to reduce costs so I was thinking of going for a low mileage v6 probably circa 06-10 based on my preliminary searches. Will an old murder car also murder my wallet with repair expenses or can you expect them to reasonably hit 200,000 plus km/15 years old without needing repairs worth more than the car itself?

If at all possible you'd want a 2011, since the engines were updated to be dramatically superior to the 2010s. 2011 V6s were really cheap even when new, so you should be able to find them quite easily, too.

(The body style changed from 2009 to 2010, but the engines/platform stayed the same. Then in 2011 the engines were updated while the exterior was left untouched until 2013).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
What Gwaihir said, the 4.0 SOHC is a bit of a dog and doesn't get particularly good gas mileage.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yep, I'd agree with that. I'd also say that if you're looking at 06-10 V6s, I'd at least think about New Edge V8s - they're kind of all the same bit of crap, but the New Edge V8 should be faster than the 06-10 V6, an at least has that V8 noise, and should return about the same fuel economy.

(Note: It's still not fast, just faster than the V6 prior to '11.)

I can't speak to the newer ones, but I can say that New Edge GTs are pretty reliable and parts are hilariously cheap when it does need them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, isn't that 4.0 SOHC the same one in the Explorer and Ranger that loves to poo poo its timing chain abomination all over the place?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I don't know about the timing chain, but it is the same engine. It's the Cologne V6 though, which might be interesting if you wanted to import a pair of Cosworth 2.8 heads and slap a pair of snails on it. Otherwise, give it a pass.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Krakkles posted:

Yep, I'd agree with that. I'd also say that if you're looking at 06-10 V6s, I'd at least think about New Edge V8s - they're kind of all the same bit of crap, but the New Edge V8 should be faster than the 06-10 V6, an at least has that V8 noise, and should return about the same fuel economy.

(Note: It's still not fast, just faster than the V6 prior to '11.)

I can't speak to the newer ones, but I can say that New Edge GTs are pretty reliable and parts are hilariously cheap when it does need them.

I thought the problem with the 06-10s was that they used the New Edge engine, but were heavier so that what was a perfectly fine engine in the New Edge was slow as gently caress in the S195? Kinda like they guys who talk about their big rear end trucks with 500 horse not understanding the weight difference in vehicles.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Nah, the New Edge V6 used the 3.8 OHV Essex V6 and made about 180hp. The S197 used the 4.0 SOHC Cologne V6 and made about 210.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Yay.

I'm not sure how useful the manifold vacuum gauge will end up being, but I still like it.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
yessss grabber blueeeee even if it's not as good on the s550 I still love it

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That's slick but needs some black wheels. To be fair I say that about most everything though.

One more month til I drag mine out of storage. :D

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 17, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ford built V6s prior to 2011, but nobody should ever voluntarily drive one. (I had a 2001 V6, shudder)

Phanatic posted:

Yay.

I'm not sure how useful the manifold vacuum gauge will end up being, but I still like it.
Track pack GT in Grabber Blue. Very nice.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Ford built V6s prior to 2011, but nobody should ever voluntarily drive one. (I had a 2001 V6, shudder)

'98 V6, bitches :whatup:

But seriously yeah, don't get a pre-'11 V6. They were real bad.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Love the car. If Grabber Blue was available in the 2016 model year that would have been a tough decision.

That said, I think I do like the black Performance Pack wheels better now that I've seen the silver ones. That was the one thing I was waffling over before I ordered one, but I found exactly what I wanted on a lot with black wheels and bought it. I'm kind of glad I "settled." :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They missed a trick not calling it grabber by the blue.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cage posted:

That's slick but needs some black wheels. To be fair I say that about most everything though.

One more month til I drag mine out of storage. :D

I've just never been big on them. Sure, they make brake dust harder to see but I want contrast between the wheel and the tire. I could see black wheels if they still made actual whitewalls.

Here's my big question, though. How easy is it to change the template that projects the horse down onto the road from the door to something else? I want Dickbutt projections.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I had to put a battery tender on my Mustang the other day due to a string of lovely weather. Usually there are enough 50 degree plus sunny days in Northern Nevada in Jan/Feb that I manage to get it out a couple times a month, but not this year. Hopefully I didn't kill the battery permanently.

Need to get the oil changed, too.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

scrubs season six posted:

I had to put a battery tender on my Mustang the other day due to a string of lovely weather. Usually there are enough 50 degree plus sunny days in Northern Nevada in Jan/Feb that I manage to get it out a couple times a month, but not this year. Hopefully I didn't kill the battery permanently.

Need to get the oil changed, too.

LPT, if you buy your battery from places that have 2 year warranties, you can just bring it back to the store where you bought it and replace it every other year and say it doesnt hold and charge and they swap it out for free. Walmart and Autozone do this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You know why I love my Mustang?

Because I've had it for 18 months, and it still put a grin on my face and let out a little giggle when I gave it WOT to redline in 2nd/3rd tonight. :D

scrubs season six: Reno?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kalvick posted:

LPT, if you buy your battery from places that have 2 year warranties, you can just bring it back to the store where you bought it and replace it every other year and say it doesnt hold and charge and they swap it out for free. Walmart and Autozone do this.

AutoZone usually wants to test the battery in my experience. Costco, on the other hand, doesn't even have the ability to do so as far as I can tell.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Phanatic posted:

I've just never been big on them. Sure, they make brake dust harder to see but I want contrast between the wheel and the tire. I could see black wheels if they still made actual whitewalls.

Here's my big question, though. How easy is it to change the template that projects the horse down onto the road from the door to something else? I want Dickbutt projections.

I'd have to look at the thing but I'm pretty sure the plastic itself is cut in the shape of a pony and the only thing you can replace is the plastic screen to change the color, and you'd probably have to do some disassembly to do that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I got to start it. :D

Got the old hinges off, new ones on. Shuts like a dream. Just gotta pop the fender back on tomorrow and Im done.

e: rotors so rusty from non driving :(

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I got mine out today too man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

They missed a trick not calling it grabber by the blue.

As my friend always thought it eluded to -- Grab 'er Bewb.