Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shameless crosspost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

pangstrom posted:

Think they'll settle either way but if it went to court the defense would definitely feature a lot of "yeah we had a problem, we hired you to fix it not so you could build a sex discrimination case against us".

Please deprogram our brogrammers. If they don't change you will be the problem, certainly not them, they can't help it..... They're morons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is this for real? An app for the rhythm method? :psypop: (cross-posting from Pseudoscience thread)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is this for real? An app for the rhythm method? :psypop: (cross-posting from Pseudoscience thread)

It's about time someone disrupted Catholicism.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Those are actually pretty common. A lot of period tracking apps have rhythm method features too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Those are actually pretty common. A lot of period tracking apps have rhythm method features too.

Yeah, but doesn't "approved as a contraceptive" mean that doctors can prescribe (and insurers be charged for) this as a substitute to things that actually prevent pregnancy?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, but doesn't "approved as a contraceptive" mean that doctors can prescribe (and insurers be charged for) this as a substitute to things that actually prevent pregnancy?

Jesus I hope not. I'm too cool to click links so I didn't see that feature. Death to America I guess?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jesus I hope not. I'm too cool to click links so I didn't see that feature. Death to America I guess?

The developer is Swedish and "[t]he approval comes from the German inspection and certification organization Tüv Süd, which has classified the app in the medicinal category of IIb. That means Natural Cycles officially offers a new, clinically tested alternative to birth control methods such as contraceptive pills, contraceptive implants and condoms." :shrug:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The developer is Swedish and "[t]he approval comes from the German inspection and certification organization Tüv Süd, which has classified the app in the medicinal category of IIb. That means Natural Cycles officially offers a new, clinically tested alternative to birth control methods such as contraceptive pills, contraceptive implants and condoms." :shrug:

*appears in puff of smoke* I heard somebody mention Germany and came as fast as I could!

The section of the article you quoted is at the very least misleading if not factually incorrect.

TÜV does certify apps. TÜV check whether the app works and uses the data and calculations like it is supposed to. TÜV does not certify that how a rythm method calculator compares to other forms of contraception.

As for being classified as medicinal category IIb. That is utterly meaningless, because within Europe all non-implantable or long term invasive medical devices used for contraception are to be classified as IIb. That category, by the way, is a risk category for medical devices and does not maek any statements about the contraception being effective either.

Council directive 93/42/EEC, Annex IX posted:

Rule 14
All devices used for contraception or the prevention of the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases are in Class IIb, unless they are implantable or long term invasive devices, in which case they are in Class III.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randler posted:

*appears in puff of smoke* I heard somebody mention Germany and came as fast as I could!

The section of the article you quoted is at the very least misleading if not factually incorrect.

TÜV does certify apps. TÜV check whether the app works and uses the data and calculations like it is supposed to. TÜV does not certify that how a rythm method calculator compares to other forms of contraception.

As for being classified as medicinal category IIb. That is utterly meaningless, because within Europe all non-implantable or long term invasive medical devices used for contraception are to be classified as IIb. That category, by the way, is a risk category for medical devices and does not maek any statements about the contraception being effective either.

Danke schön!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Randler posted:

That is honestly a relief, thank you.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Randler posted:

This sounds like the equivalent of how in the US placebo medicines adorn their boxes with fake official-looking disclaimers (such as a list of active ingredients) and are very careful to prominently display that they are "Regulated by the Food and Drug Administration" (because they're a food product).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ShadowHawk posted:

This sounds like the equivalent of how in the US placebo medicines adorn their boxes with fake official-looking disclaimers (such as a list of active ingredients) and are very careful to prominently display that they are "Regulated by the Food and Drug Administration" (because they're a food product).

They're usually regulated as dietary supplements, not food. "Dietary Supplements" is the "we don't have to prove anything" category in us food and drug law. (note that in practice there are regs, but it gets more complicated than would be relevant here)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Discendo Vox posted:

They're usually regulated as dietary supplements, not food. "Dietary Supplements" is the "we don't have to prove anything" category in us food and drug law. (note that in practice there are regs, but it gets more complicated than would be relevant here)

The main thing (which is newish) is that they have to prove there's no allergens after they sold a bunch of pills that used ground tree nuts as filler without telling anyone. They being some supplement company or another I don't remember exactly who.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Feinne posted:

The main thing (which is newish) is that they have to prove there's no allergens after they sold a bunch of pills that used ground tree nuts as filler without telling anyone. They being some supplement company or another I don't remember exactly who.

Supplements were subject to allergen regs since at least 2004 when the big allergen labeling revision took place. That case (man, I'm blanking on the company too) just threw violations into the limelight.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When is Grammarly going to IPO for fifty billion dollars?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

When is Grammarly going to IPO for fifty billion dollars?

When will they die so I can stop getting their awful commercials whenever I stream YouTube to my TV?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Oh god. https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

But why aren't there many women in tech?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

sounds like a good&cool workplace with a focus on good interpersonal relations&team work along with a healthy competitive spirit :viggo:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Yeah I just saw this on twitter. I know we make fun of Uber a lot in this thread for being lovely, but this is actually something that could scare away enough investors to do serious damage to them

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, not going to claim that other tech places are great in those respects at all but goddamn that sounds 1) awful and 2) very credible/authoritative.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Entirely unsurprising, given they publicly and loudly flaunt the law in other areas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moatman posted:

Yeah I just saw this on twitter. I know we make fun of Uber a lot in this thread for being lovely, but this is actually something that could scare away enough investors to do serious damage to them

Unfortunately, I don't think any investors are going to give a tenth of a gently caress. I would, but I'm not investing in Uber anyway, and I know I'm an outlier.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Even amoral investors might think that's a sign the place is dysfunctional in just a practical sense, though, and/or that its reputation will go into the toilet, and/or there will be a deluge of lawsuits, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Historically, mistreating minorities in technical divisions has little impact on corporate reputation, sales, or recruiting. Would that it were otherwise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DaveLeeBBC/status/833468365289033728

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well that's settled then.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Subjunctive posted:

Well that's settled then.

lol it doesn't settle poo poo. It means they shook, it doesn't mean anything will change.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maluco Marinero posted:

lol it doesn't settle poo poo. It means they shook, it doesn't mean anything will change.

:thejoke:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ah, my apologies, carry on then

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

But just imagine how much more SV will have to pay if they can only hire non scumbags?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I too am disappointed Uber's managers aren't fulfilling their duty to shareholder value.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In this case, they're failing moral, legal, and fiduciary duties. Really swinging for the fences.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Moatman posted:

If losing a billion dollars a year isn't scaring away investors, nothing will.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

uber financing drove a guy to suicide in india

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Have people completely forgotten about google glasses?
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39027652

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Have people completely forgotten about google glasses?
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39027652

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mean, if I'm reading this as an amoral investorial ubermensch who couldn't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about diversity, it still might put me off sticking my money in Uber. That stuff about the game of thrones style management culture is textbook failing company. It's what happens when the assholes have metastasized through the whole middle management layer because the higher ups are too clueless to excise them.