Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

There's a moment of silence, then Jo gives a polite round of applause at Michael's ingenuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Michael Grey - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Michael sighs as a bit of tension leaves his body. "Accepted. Thank you Dr. Milton, Dr. Ross, for doing the heavy lifting on this. Looks like we can explore this unit some more if you want Cap. I wonder if we can change the view? "

operate Goa'uld Console Electronic Operations : 3d6 14 target 13 Guess Mike can't change the view.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Changing the view isn't so much the problem, it's doing it in a controlled fashion. Lt. Grey transitions from view to view, but can't quite manage to hit the back button or find the damned overview. Context-sensitive controls and lack of naquada in the blood makes using Goa'uld tech a frustrating exercise.

The situation appears to be calming down so if you spend 10 minutes or so of playing with it you won't need a roll to do basic operations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

"Excellent work everyone. Maybe this thing will be able to tell us if there's an active enemy force on this planet or if it's safe to get back on mission." Over the radio, "Alright sergeant, the alarm had been disabled, we're probably in the clear for now if you wanted to come up and check out the Goa'uld's toys."

I'll remain just outside the door where I can poke my head in if needed but mostly still keeping an eye on things outside while the more technical folks figure out how to change the channel.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry - Goa'uld Tower Clearing

With a quick shiver, Jacob stands down - being on edge and on alert can do a number on one's nerves, especially when artificially kept there. With a quick click and a "Copy that, Cap." he lets his weapon hang. With a quick pat on the flank, he whistles to the Master Sergeant, nodding to the tower as he heads over. With a quick 2-finger salute to the Captain, he steps in, interested in doing his own little search.

On the inside, he takes a quick look around, deciding to pick through one of the packets of field rations as he pokes about. "Things are pretty clear out there for now - saw a whole lot of nothing, but that could change at any time." As soon as he opened the packet, he immediately regretted it. "Oog - note to self, avoid alien foodgoop." Letting McGriddles take a sniff should he want, he checks through the weapons crates, just in case something had been overlooked.

Search 7 vs. 13 to see if there's anything hidden in the crates - false compartments, overlooked sections, etc.

"Hey, do any of you guys know how they charge those weapons of theirs? Surely they have to reload or something. Eventually. Right?" He wondered how long it might take to integrate some of the energy weapon technology they've discovered into something a little less obtuse. Form usually follows function in terms of design, but some of this gear didn't make much sense to him. Then again, he wasn't raised on Naquata.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

"Probably," Jo says as she moved to help Jacob with the supplies. "I still don't think we ought to do much with them unless it's an emergency, but maybe we can get command to brief us on how they work. Did we find any clips to go along with them? If not, maybe they just last a long time." She goes through the bins one at a time, helping in the once-over before they group moved on.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

McGriddles' opinion on the Jaffa rations is also poor. A couple of sniffs and a tentative lick is all he's willing to give it before turning away and sniffing around the rest of the crates. Thoroughly searching the crates doesn't reveal any hidden treasures unfortunately. There doesn't appear to be any ammunition supplies for the Zat guns, only the small vials that power a staff weapon. You can say with complete confidence that there are no tricks, but there is a small bit of graffiti of all things scrawled on the underside of one of the covers. Jaffa get as bored as anyone and scribble what is likely dirty jokes on whatever surface is handy.

By now the Doctors and Lt. Grey have figured out the console controls and should be able to get some useful information out of it.

Dr. Ross overhears Dr. Lawry's comment about the Zat guns and recalls some information from her studies on the Goa'uld tech. The Zat guns are a tightly engineered piece of weaponry that integrates the power supply into the body. They are re-armed not so much by swapping out a power cell of some kind but by re-charging somehow the entire weapon like a cellphone. They have a high number of available shots per charge, now if only the SGC could figure out a reliable way to recharge them...

Not wanting to get you guys too bogged down in searching crates and the walls for secret doors and stuff so here's a head's up that the Zat guns are the goodies to get here, along with whatever you learn from (what I assume will happen) tinkering with the console. Or hoover up Jaffa rations and staff weapon cells, far be it from me to stop y'all from burgling the Goa'uld. :)

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
:siren:Burgle Averted!:siren:

Jacob Glengarry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Tossing the slime aside, Jake grabs a few of the small cylinders that power the staves. Anything that harbors power can become an explosive, after all! Giving his assent to the safety of the place, he posts up by the door again. "Now that we've got that taken care of, what do we do now? Any signs of other posts, or should we try to get back on the trail?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"My hope is as this appears to be a monitoring station of some variety, we'll be able to figure out what the Goa'uld have been monitoring. Be it simple weather observations, information on whatever made the ruins we're here to look at, information on the nomadic people still living here, or spying on their own camps, it would be good to know. If nothing else hopefully we'll be able to use this equipment to find out if there's an active Goa'uld force on this planet that we need to be wary of.

As for the rest of this gear, try not to bog us down too much, we're carrying pretty heavy loads as it is. If there's anything interesting here, the SGC can send out another team to dismantle equipment.

Figure out what you can, I want to be out of here before it gets too late. I don't want to be making camp next to a Goa'uld supply outpost."

What time of day is it anyway, if we got out of here soon could we still make the SGC monitoring outpost? I know we've walked a couple hours in the wrong direction at this point. If there's no chance of that I'd probably start considering doing a little recon for a camp site.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Here to help the doctors with any translating necessary.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
To make things easy, SGC timed your arrival for local morning-ish. It took about an hour to get here and clear the tower, and according to your notes it's 5km or 2-3 hours to the SGC monitoring station from the gate. The local day is ~28 hours long with 12 hours of daylight. Hooray axial tilt!

Drs. Ross, Lawry, Milton you can interact with the control panel with Lt. Grey's help translating allowing one person at a time to roll Electronics Op or Computer Op at -2 (language barrier) to get a useful piece of information pointed at the specialty from it every 15 minutes. Let me know if you're looking for something specific.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Let's take a look at what information they're gathering - seems like a good place to start." She starts to tap at the console, resorting to hunt-and-peck after only a couple seconds. "Yeah... a sensor diagnostic. A list of what this place is capable of. I want to know what they're interested in on this pleasant little planet, so whatever they're gathering must be important to them for that purpose."

Computer operation vs 15-2: 12 :rolleye:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Goa'uld Tower P6T-313: +1hr 15m on planet

Jo scans through the various displays. Everything appears to be operating normally, and after a few minutes of cycling through the various views you build up a picture of what the tower is monitoring. Several of the views overlook valleys and ridges. Looking at them closely reveals that some of those views are centered on clearings with obvious footpaths worn through them. The last truly interesting display is a view of an ancient set of ruins carved into a cliff face, and another view that monitors the approach to those ruins. Those ruins appear to be the very same ones that were in the mission briefing. The display is such that it's possible even to see into one or two of the rooms of the structure, though from here you can really only determine that they're empty and stone. The display monitoring the slope going up to the ruins would easily spot any but the most stealthy of persons entering the crumbling complex.

Kurt, as Dr. Lowry manipulates the control panel, you hear a whirring sound coming from above you. McGriddles whines and whuffs while looking up at the noise, which is being made by an orb-like device on top of the spire that twists and adjusts with the doctor's commands.

Added elapsed time to the header

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Not a lot going on here," Jo says, shaking her head. "Just visual observations. They're tracking some exposed fields, so presumably watching movement and number of people active on the planet. Like us, they're interested in those empty ruins. They've got a perfect view from here. No doubt when we go there we'll be on Goa'uld Candid Camera. Should keep that in mind."

She looks at the others. "What else?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"Is there any archival footage or is this entirely live? Almost hard to imagine the Goa'uld caring about the carrying on of some tribal primitives, so I'm curious if there's something else going on. If nothing else it might give us a head start on those ruins."

Pointing out the stone, "Dr Ross, what do you make of that orb? It appears to be what the console is controlling, is it connected to other monitoring equipment, or is the orb itself the observation device? If that's something we could take with us that connects to other stations it could be useful. Or even if taking it just disables this station that'd make me a lot happier about approaching those ruins."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"If I limit it to the view of the ruins, I could try and scan through some archives." Jo shrugs. "Maybe there's some recognition software hooked into the system, but it might be beyond me." She takes a breath, a suck on her water bottle, and starts parsing through old video of the ruins at high speed.

Computer operation vs 15-2: 9

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Alexandra Ross - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

She purses her lips thoughtfully, not unlike Mckayla Maroney, and opens her electronics kit.

"If I had to guess, Captain, I'd wager that the orb is a link to actual monitoring equipment, given its location," Dr. Ross spitballs, examining EM signatures in the area, and particularly coming from the orb.

"Removing it would likely disable this station, and be non-trivial for them to repair, but wouldn't give us any actual advantage. Not a lot of stationary equipment is designed to be any good when it's moved, you know?"

Goa'uld engineering vs 15: 11

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313: +1hr 45m on planet
The science staff continues to work diligently over the Goa'uld technology. Dr. Ross gets busy pulling panels off of various things around the interior of the tower and digging into electronics while Dr. Lowry searches for some feed archives buried in the system. There's some juggling of priority between test commands to help Dr. Ross figure out the mechanics of the tower equipment and Dr. Lowry's inquiries into the archives that slows both of them down a bit but after a half-hour or so it looks like both experts come up with some results.

Dr. Ross determines that the orb-device on the tower spire is in fact a fancy directional antenna and camera device. While the tower records information coming in from various feeds located around in the general area, the orb can be controlled to get a real-time (she thinks) look at something. Disabling it would probably make the tower ineffective at its job until it was replaced or repaired. Doing so from inside the tower is probably do-able for Dr. Ross. Removing it would require someone to climb the tower with a prybar. Of course, shooting it would probably do the trick.

Dr. Lawry digs up archival footage of the monitor pointed at the ruins. It's pretty dull, as there isn't a whole lot going on there and nobody comes up to bother it really. Skipping around, she finds a something interesting on images from about 2 month ago. A fellow in primitive looking clothing carrying a pair of slender spears appears on the approach to the ruins. He pauses for some time to meditate, plan, or have lunch, and then creeps towards and then into the ruins. A few short hours later, a half-dozen Jaffa appear on the feed. They march purposefully into the ruins. Two bright flashes are seen coming from inside the ruins somewhere, and then the Jaffa march back out.

----
Both checks are successful, 30 minutes added to time on planet.
To tinker with (I presume disable?) the orb would be an Engineering check to disconnect it from the panel, a Climbing check to retrieve it, or simply shooting it without a check because a soccer ball sized object at 20 yards ain't a hard shot to make.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

6Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

"Here we go," Josephine says brightly. "One of the natives went to the area with the ruins, followed up by a group of Jaffa, who killed him. So they're observing the structure, and sending hit squads if anyone enters them. Don't see why we would be excluded from that. If we're going to explore them, we'll have to be mighty careful - unless you want to lead them into a trap, I suppose." She looks at Tash with a raised eyebrow.

How far would it take us to get from the tower to the ruins? That is, if the Jaffa left the tower to the ruins, it would take longer than the couple hours it took for them to show up at the ruins according to the video, right? I'm wondering if there's another Jaffa base that the tower is contacting when they see someone entering them.

Shall we move on after this? I don't want to get bogged down in watching security videos.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Does the number of Jaffa/timeline match the tracks and such that we've seen? This tower was unoccupied for a while. Also, if the Jaffa were to run or something from here, would they be able to make it to the ruins based on what I know of the layout?

"Everyone be sure to take a look at the angle of this camera on the ruins. The mission is still to check them out, once we get there we can see if there's an angle we can get in without being on the approach watched by this tower anyway.

Doctor Ross, disable that orb, I'll climb up and retrieve it. The techs back home would probably like a look at that, be a shame to shoot it up, but at the same time I don't want this tower recording.

Unless someone has something compelling they still need to do here, we move out to the SGC outpost as soon as I'm back on the ground."

I assume there's a crowbar or something equivalently useful in that toolkit.

climbing that tower (15): 3d6 6

and in case it is relevant, some rolls to study the ruins approach
tactics (11), observation (14) on the screen: 2#3d6 10 8

e: That climbing is actually vs 13, looks like the app put the flexibility bonus into the score already, so no double dipping on the +2.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 8, 2017

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yeah, a small crowbar is very reasonable to find in a toolkit.
The Jaffa tracks seen on the way here could have been made back then. Based on your best guesses on the area and terrain, a Jaffa warrior (who are at minimum the peak of humanoid capability) could make that run quickly. A good runner can do a 5k in 15 minutes. Load him with armor and weapons and rough terrain would triple that or more, but the physical stamina of the Jaffa is legendary. Underestimate them at your own risk.

I'll wait for Dr. Ross' roll to disable before removal to preserve sequencing and for folks to get any weekend posting in.
While you wait on that, Capt. Tash figures that with some planning and scouting the team could come up with a creative approach to the ruins that avoids the monitored areas. The easy way up is via a talus scattered slope without much cover but also without much obstacles. The entrance is the hardest part, since even the most sneaky of approaches would be pointless if you went through the front door. Of course, if nothing is watching the front door...

Lots of ways to tackle the puzzle, you've got a good look at the biggest dangers.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

She clucks in agreement. "Yes, it would certainly be quite a shame to wreck this marvelous device. Even if it weren't a potential treasure for my colleagues to reverse-engineer, it would be like spilling coffee inside one of Google's server banks."

Dr. Ross examines the entire installation very carefully before beginning the process of shutting it down -- very easy to wreck something if you don't have the manual.

6,5,5 because I can always roll high in the one game where I don't want to.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313: +2hr on planet

Dr. Ross gets to work disabling the monitoring system from the console and recording system. It takes a few kicks, but surprisingly doesn't take as long as she thought. "All clear!" she says to Capt. Tash, gesturing with an interlock crystal pulled from beneath the console. Suddenly, the whole system goes dark. The control panel no longer responds, the blinking lights are no longer blinking, and when checked even the door locking mechanism appears to be offline. Dr. Ross accomplished her goal of disabling the camera-orb device, with the side effect of disabling everything else as well. A few moments pass with no threats appearing so the situation seems no more complex than what it appears to be: the tower is offline in nearly every respect.

As unexpected of a turn the situation is, Capt. Tash does have an opportunity to accomplish his part of the plan. The tower is an easy climb, and the orb pops off of its mount without much resistance. The team is certain, to an absurd degree now that they are definitely not being monitored.

I mean, despite the high roll you didn't fail at what you wanted to do... The tower is offline in all ways you can tell. IF you are so inclined, turning it back on would be a similar roll against electronics repair with the attendant time cost.
Orb is soccer ball sized and about as heavy as a full growler of beer.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
George Milton

"Well, let's hope they weren't expecting any transmissions," George says quietly.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Huge apologies for the silence - I've been on the road all of February and still have another 13 days in the field to go. Keeping up as able!

Jacob Glengarry

Taking a moment to ruminate on what played out in the recording, Jacob safety-spots the Captain as he retrieves the device. There was definitely a ritualistic aspect to that encounter, and he was somewhat surprised it hadn't been mentioned earlier. "Why do I get the feeling this place isn't so much a hunting ground as a recruitment pool? A final test for those on this world wanting to "ascend" to Jaffa-hood? Those spears certainly wouldn't kill a Jaffa, but they wouldn't need an entire squad to take out one guy, either. Survive the encounter, get a worm and Real Ultimate Power? Sounds up these guys' alley."

He figured it was a safe bet that, like most other worlds the Goa'uld have their wrigglers on, ancient stories had legends of the powerful [insert type of god here] that would grant power to the worthy. It wasn't a completely off-base assumption, right?

Savoir-Faire (Military) to think of other ritualistic bearpits and compare similarities: 9 vs. 12

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Jo shakes her head and grins at Dr. Ross. "Well, I didn't know we had an assassin in the group. I guess I should be thankful you didn't just set the self-destruct." She grabs her things, and heads out of the building into the brightly lit grounds. "Are we ready to head out?"

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
George Milton

"Makes sense. That said, it seems to me like if this were a trial, they wouldn't shoot the candidate. Not because they don't want to kill them, but just because they'd never get any recruits if it's spear vs jaffa staff weapon." George points out. "Surely anybody who was being tested would end up being beaten to death if they failed instead..."

He then adds, "Though having said that, from the reading up I've done the Goa'uld do seem to like acting like Saturday morning cartoon villains, so perhaps I'm expecting too much sense out of them..."

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry

Shuffling his pack a little and redistributing his weight, he does a quick clear of the outside of the tower before waving folks through and continuing the conversation. "While those are valid points, there's still a matter of an economy of scale: This isn't the only world they have to draw from, so if they want a badass who can take down 5 fully-armed Jaffa with a spear, they can take their time. That, and they aren't exactly going to be facing bows and arrows in the field, either. You'd think that if there was some sort of valuable artifact, the area would be in better shape. Just my take, though!"

Shouldering up on his weapon once more, he gets back in the stack, calling the Master Sergeant to his side to continue the expdition.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313: +2hr on planet

Rhyos posted:

Savoir-Faire (Military) to think of other ritualistic bearpits and compare similarities: 9 vs. 12

Sgt. Glengarry thinks on the possibilities of the ruins and the intruding local. Dangerous ruins are excellent trial venues, and without knowing what's inside them it's possible that it's a funhouse of physical challenges and clever traps. However, Jaffa are an engineered species yet are self-perpetuating like any other so it'd be odd for them to recruit unless their Goa'uld master is Up To Something. The mission report detailing the Hathor incident comes to mind. Collection of Goa'uld hosts may be more likely as the snakes prefer 'perfect' hosts that are young, strong, and brave. Whatever the true nature of the ruins is, there's not a lot of information to go on from just the video. Your best guesses are at this point just that: guesses. A chat with a local would certainly help clarify the situation.

Sounds like you guys are about ready to go. Once Grey, Ross, & Tash check in I will narrate y'all hitting the trail again. Sounds like the SG-15 camp is the next stop, barring any encounters or requested actions from someone.
In preparation for that, please roll your hiking skill.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Michael Grey - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

"I wonder if the Jaffa are more concerned about the locals not getting to something in the ruins? At least we have something to think about after we make the base camp."

Hiking roll: 3d6 10 target is 10

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

She sighs ruefully, frowning at her handiwork.

"Well, that could have gone better," Dr. Ross chirps, awkwardly shuffling her gear back into place to leave, and picking up the orb to take with them. "I'm sure next time my field skills will be more impressive, though!"

She's not an outdoorsy lady, but she's passed all the physical tests, and she brought sunscreen, so Dr. Ross is only moderately anxious about her prospects covering larger amounts of terrain.

3,4,6, once again above my skill

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Kurt climbs down the tower, hands the orb over to Dr Ross, re-stows the toolbox in his pack, and makes ready to go.

"Alright everyone, I think we've done enough damage here. Make sure you haven't left anything behind and let's head to the weather monitoring station. With any luck we'll get there before nightfall, I wouldn't want to be hunting for it in the dark. Lt Grey, you're back on track covering duty, at least until we make some distance from this tower."

I think as I have 14 leadership we could technically be making a single hiking roll against the party average, might make it quicker in the future.

Hiking (10) and Navigation (17): 2#3d6 13 7

As long as I'm not rolling it apparently :v:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

"My impression was that they're guarding the ruins themselves," Jo says as she shoulders her pack. "They weren't testing anyone, they just shot him. You certainly don't need to send a squad of your best soldiers to combat a local. I mean, maybe it was some medical test that he failed, but why bother waiting until someone is in some ruins you don't care about when you could just blow up a couple houses in a village and then line scared people up to have their DNA checked?"

She nods to the captain. "Ready, sir."

Hiking vs 10: 9

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Hiking Default (5): 3d6 8

And this is where I notice I forgot to stick a point in hiking. Oh well; once we get character points...

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Jake shrugs. "Eh. Maybe I' overthinking it, and the crazy worm-people really are just being aloof and weird and unknowable. So long as bullets kill it, it's really not all that important. Let's head out!"

You have some of the brightest minds on Earth here in your squad, and you think you have a new insight? Stick to your drat job.

Soldier doesn't include hiking? I thought basic would have proven otherwise!
Hiking (Default): 13

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313: +5hr on planet
The team shoulders their packs and heads out in formation back down the trail towards the Stargate, and then beyond to the SGC monitoring station. The side-trip up to the Goa'uld monitoring tower ate up a decent amount of time, so now instead of a misty forest the light and warmth of an alien sun transforms the wilderness as you march. It takes a little less than an hour to backtrack to the Stargate now that there's less concern for tracking and caution at forging into the unknown. The gate area is quiet, so after a quick re-orientation SG-13 marches onwards.

By now the local sun has risen high into the sky and the clouds have mostly cleared off. A cool breeze carries away the heat of exertion as the team travels making the hike through the strange trees almost effortless. While stopped for a rest and a bite near a creek a brightly colored bird screeches its anger at its territory being violated and dive bombs Captain Tash before flapping off into the trees.

Two hours later the team arrives at the SG-15 station. It is situated in a small hollow on the edge of a sloping meadow. Sgt. Glengarry spots the station first, catching the glint of sunlight off of the anemometer spinning in the breeze. Once the team reaches the site itself, everything seems to be undisturbed. The weatherproof boxes with the provisions and equipment are tucked into small depressions to protect them from view and the elements.

MSgt. McGriddles sniffs around the area exploring the sights and smells, but once again Capt. Tash is the man who spots the thing that is out of the ordinary.
Capt Tash: By the supply boxes are bootprints made by a un-soled or smooth-soled boot. A very, very recent bootprint so fresh that if he put his hand on it it might still be warm.

----
Hiking rolls were offset by good weather, it's a very nice day today so it only takes a couple hours to make it to the SG-15 station.
Basecamp is secure!
Or is it? Capt. Tash spots some prints that aren't SGC or Jaffa. They track around the area, but look like it was just one entity.
All other perception checks report that the immediate area is a quiet forest.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - SG-15 Monitoring Station

Kurt points to the tracks, "Looks like we've had company, and recently too. Based on the bootprints I'd say this is probably one of the locals. At the very least it isn't a Jaffa boot. In any event we should see if they're still around and say hello, maybe they could tell us something about what's going on with those ruins before we head that direction tomorrow."

Kurt unclips his pack near the station for some mobility, just taking his weapon, binocs, and flashlight.

"Milton, Grey, you're with me. Hopefully between the two of you we can figure out some way to communicate with our visitor. The rest of you secure camp and check on the equipment. I don't want to go chasing after this guy with a huge group like those Jaffa in the ruins. We'll keep in radio contact, I have no intention of chasing him across half the planet so we won't be too far."

If you guys would rather have some alternate split up here speak up, but my goal is to not be chasing this guy through the woods with six strangely dressed offworlders and a large dog or we'll never get him to trust us.

Tracking the basecamp visitor (19): 3d6 15 - Not my finest effort.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Michael Grey - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

Mike, shrugs off his pak, and stows it next to the monitoring station as well.

"Sure, Captain. Talking to locals should be fun."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

Jo lets her pack down as well, stowing it near the others. It was a relief to have it off her shoulders, though she was getting back into the habit pretty quickly. "No problem, captain," she says. "We'll probably have lots of data to look at. If we see anything out of the ordinary, we'll radio you." She sets about inspecting the stowed goods, and finds nothing out of the ordinary.

"Would anyone mind a quick medical inspection? I wanted to make sure nothing odd was affecting us, being on another planet and all."

Search (default) vs 10: 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

Giving his shoulders a few moments rest, Jake sets his pack down near the base of the station as well. Keeping his eyes and ears open, he does another quick sweep of the area, glancing back to the Doc as she suggests a checkup. "It's only been a few hours, but sure - what does the check involve?"

If everything checks out, he'll let it hang for a moment, giving the pup some free reign to look around.

"How's the tin can doing? Everything working as expected?"

• Locked thread