Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

You did note the part where they pointed out this would happen, then welded a framework of steel bars to their container so that it wouldn't happen to them, right?

I mean, I don't know the requirements to actually ensure that a container won't collapse, and they may have other problems, but this wasn't as lackadaisical as most crappy construction tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You did note the part where they pointed out this would happen, then welded a framework of steel bars to their container so that it wouldn't happen to them, right?

I mean, I don't know the requirements to actually ensure that a container won't collapse, and they may have other problems, but this wasn't as lackadaisical as most crappy construction tales.

He should have put the bracing on the inside, then it would push the container onto the frame instead of putting the force on the welds, but hey. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Only eight tonnes of soil.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It looks like they thought through most of the obvious risks (at least to a layman), but there's one thing that I really don't like. The ventilation is all at ceiling level for both intake and exhaust.

It seems to me that it would be possible for heavier than air gases to collect on the floor even with the supposed 100CFM fan running. Someone lays down on the floor and finds themselves getting sleepy, etc. I think I'd rather have the exhaust inlet at floor level. Not a hard modification to make though, overall it seems surprisingly decent for an internet project.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

But why the astroturf on the ceiling?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Actually, here's a question -- how long would 1/8" steel last in an underground environment before it's rusted to the point of uselessness? I don't have any kind of feel for that situation. For that matter, how long would your average corrosion-resistant steel last? As a non-expert that seems like the most obvious limitation on lifespan of this structure to me -- eventually those supports will rust and the "bunker" will collapse inwards.

I guess a properly-built structure would be made out of concrete (with the sump pump as before to keep it from flooding). But what would you make the ceiling out of? Assuming you still want to bury the entire structure underground, how do you shed moisture around the outside?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Actually, here's a question -- how long would 1/8" steel last in an underground environment before it's rusted to the point of uselessness? I don't have any kind of feel for that situation. For that matter, how long would your average corrosion-resistant steel last? As a non-expert that seems like the most obvious limitation on lifespan of this structure to me -- eventually those supports will rust and the "bunker" will collapse inwards

The thing about those containers is that they are massed produced as cheaply as possible to keep shipping costs down. They are great for that but they really are not built for a long life. By the time you refinish and reinforce them they are not as good of a deal as they may first appear.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Actually, here's a question -- how long would 1/8" steel last in an underground environment before it's rusted to the point of uselessness? I don't have any kind of feel for that situation. For that matter, how long would your average corrosion-resistant steel last? As a non-expert that seems like the most obvious limitation on lifespan of this structure to me -- eventually those supports will rust and the "bunker" will collapse inwards.

I guess a properly-built structure would be made out of concrete (with the sump pump as before to keep it from flooding). But what would you make the ceiling out of? Assuming you still want to bury the entire structure underground, how do you shed moisture around the outside?

The house wrap and rubber coating will keep all of the moisture in year round.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

FogHelmut posted:

But why the astroturf on the ceiling?

Why cover a wall in fake fur?

Because he's an idiot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wolrah posted:

It looks like they thought through most of the obvious risks (at least to a layman), but there's one thing that I really don't like. The ventilation is all at ceiling level for both intake and exhaust.

It seems to me that it would be possible for heavier than air gases to collect on the floor even with the supposed 100CFM fan running. Someone lays down on the floor and finds themselves getting sleepy, etc. I think I'd rather have the exhaust inlet at floor level.
This was my first thought too. Also they're both on the same side, so really all you're getting is a single draft going from one top corner to the other. There's also no backups, so if being buried underground turns out to be bad for your kitchen fan and it fails (or something blocks a pipe) and you don't notice, welp. If it was professionally made that probably wouldn't be such a big deal but it's sink pipes and a kitchen fan.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Dude said he had a CO2/CO/more sensor in the bunker, so he should be fine.

Personally I think 2 sensors would be a good idea, but he's pretty safe in theory.
With the pipes and the fan, he's probably safer than most basements. Assuming you can hear the fan (stop) running.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Its a small metal box full of flammable material, accessible only by a single hatch that opens outwards from its single entrance and exit. Some of the people on Reddit pointed out a) its illegal as hell because he didnt get any sort of planning permission or meet any code and b) when people pointed out possible issues his response was mostly "oh well guess I would die in that scenario". Then he mentioned he might put it on air bnb. There is no way a friend would get me to go down into that thing.

edit: Its possible im over-reacting but drat, probably cheaper to just build an extension.

Kea fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 18, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If there's a fire he can cut power to the bathroom fan and it'll extinguish from lack of oxygen. It's all accounted for.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
That bunker is cool, I don't care if its not a flawless retard proof padded safety shelter, I admire what the guy did.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
So how dangerous is this guys bunker? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UKNajCgpEs

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Safer than some of his other stuff

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
colin gets a pass on basically anything involving "best practices"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

~Coxy posted:

Dude said he had a CO2/CO/more sensor in the bunker, so he should be fine.
Depends...

quote:

I put in a portable gas sensor, that measures o2, CO and explosive vapors, just in case my math is wrong. It never made a sound.

If it's not at floor level it might not detect the heavy gases. Being portable also implies it might get moved around, inadvertently taken out, left to run out of batteries, etc.

Also "it never made a sound" is most likely just poor wording where he meant "it's never made a sound" but could also be legitimately past tense and mean he doesn't leave it in there for whatever reason.

I like the thing overall, I think the idea's cool and they were clearly considering the obvious hazards even if their implementation of certain safeguards might be a bit lacking. It's not an irredeemable death trap, just needs some tweaks to get to a point where I'd be comfortable treating it as a party bunker.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd still rather hang out in the other guy's movie dungeon, but I'd show him the monitor window and be like "yo get that up in here."

Also I'd have done the interior differently. Astroturf the ceiling, paint clouds and sky on the floor.

e: so what stops mice and insects from getting in through the air ducts and making a comfy home down there?
e2: oh man I'm reading the guys ventilation math and at no point does he acknowledge that those 100 CFM need to go through 4" piping. I'm no engineer but I'm sure that's something to consider, right?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 18, 2017

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone already wrote up all the problems with it.

https://np.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/5uo176/underground_party_bunker/ddvsdh6/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

e2: oh man I'm reading the guys ventilation math and at no point does he acknowledge that those 100 CFM need to go through 4" piping. I'm no engineer but I'm sure that's something to consider, right?

That is a pretty common diameter for exhaust fans, though most don't do 270° of bends. (http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-...ing-insert-fans )

I feel like the "heavy gas" problem is pretty easily solvable with a portable oscillating fan.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Guy claims to be a firefighter but this:

quote:

If someone has a heart attack, how are you going to get them out? This is a complicated rescue by a specialized team that is probably an hour away. MAYBE your local fire department does this but they would need to train beforehand and know what tools to bring. Since there's no way this meets code, you obviously cannot call them so they can prepare themselves
Is literally a strap the pt to a spineboard and man handle them through the ladder hole with engine + ambulance crew you've got 6 people to do this. So if you live in the middle of nowhere I guess that could be an hour but anywhere civilized that's a 5-15 min response time. Guy says he's a firefighter at the end of the post so I would be slightly intrigued as to what he thinks is so complicated about this particular rescue he describes. Source: EMT with almost 7 years full-time and associated PT since then + rescue squad stuff.

I'm wondering if maybe he's wanting to say it's a confined space rescue but in this heart attack scenario there is obviously someone there who is fine in the space calling for help + an engine is going to be carrying SCBA gear anyway so I still don't really know what he expects to take an hour to show up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

That is a pretty common diameter for exhaust fans, though most don't do 270° of bends. (http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-...ing-insert-fans )

I feel like the "heavy gas" problem is pretty easily solvable with a portable oscillating fan.

A bathroom exhaust fan is not a life support system. It's a small fan for reducing humidity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm wondering if maybe he's wanting to say it's a confined space rescue but in this heart attack scenario there is obviously someone there who is fine in the space calling for help + an engine is going to be carrying SCBA gear anyway so I still don't really know what he expects to take an hour to show up.

I took his comments to be confined space rescue. With as much of a poo poo show as that thing is I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies SOPs would call for full on confined rescue ops.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Motronic posted:

I took his comments to be confined space rescue. With as much of a poo poo show as that thing is I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies SOPs would call for full on confined rescue ops.

Very well could be right on that. I'll probably take a look at the local dept's SOPs out of curiosity now (though it's a separate topic perhaps to wonder if the SOP would be followed or not).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

A bathroom exhaust fan is not a life support system. It's a small fan for reducing humidity.

Nor are those containers made to retain any structural strength once cut into, or take any weight on anything but their four corners/outer edges. If anyone other than himself dies down there he's going to have a fun time going bankrupt from that wrongful death lawsuit which his homeowners insurance / umbrella policy will laugh and laugh about. Methane/propane leakage is going to be hilariously fun with the oscillating fan going, but it should keep the CO/CO2 poisoning to a minimum, or at least trip the sensor.

I also await the day a rat or bird makes its way into the nesting tubes he installed.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

"But as it stands, you essentially recreated the gas chambers at Auschwitz, except those had stairs to enter."

I know it's from reddit, but can we add this to the list of failed 'my nigga have you tried LSD?' goon projects? Tried to make a party bunker, ended up recreating nazi gas chambers.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

value-brand cereal posted:

"But as it stands, you essentially recreated the gas chambers at Auschwitz, except those had stairs to enter."

I know it's from reddit, but can we add this to the list of failed 'my nigga have you tried LSD?' goon projects? Tried to make a party bunker, ended up recreating nazi gas chambers.

Can you point me toward context for this?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Ignoranus posted:

Can you point me toward context for this?

Keeping the story short (TOO LATE), a TCC goon named SunburntAphid claimed to be slamming an unbelievable amount of tar heroin into her atrophying muscles every day. Some goons were trying to convince her to go to rehab to save her life but HondaRider, the TCC mod at the time, basically told everyone to shut up because rehab doesn't work and she should try LSD instead. HR was demodded and fled to something sensitive, and "my nigga have u tried LSD" became a catchphrase.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I was actually looking into doing something similar, until I did actual research on bunker construction and underground housing, and learned how much of a tremendous pain in the rear end everything is. The redit guy commenting covered most of the high points. It's easier/cheaper to dig a bigass Olympic pool sized hole in the ground, build a 4 car garage out of those insulated concrete forms, then bury it than it would be to waterproof and strengthen a container to do something similar. Plus you can trivially waterproof the forms by gluing them together then tarring and tyvecing the outside.

At a minimum you need:
  • True positive pressure ventilation, it must be battery backed up and have an audible warning in case the fan tachometer fails or power fails.
  • Air mixing, via a fan, A/C filtration system, something to get the air column to stay mixed and able to be vented.
  • Explosive gases, inert gases, CO, CO2, and oxygen level monitoring, with a regular calibration and testing. You can rig something up inside the air return plenum if you have an aircon style system, provided you can guarantee adequate mixing. Calibration on the sensors and alarm tests should be monthly or quarterly, depending on sensor type.
  • Multiple ingress/egress. You need at least two ways in and out of an occupied structure, preferably ones that won't be blocked by the same tree falling on your hatch.
  • Hatches that open outward need to be robust enough to open even with a tree or big rock on them, and able to be opened via hand pumped hydraulics or a screw type jack system. Any locking system you have in place on the outside, like a padlock hasp must fail when the hatch is opened from the inside.
  • Fire suppression system, dry foam, water, something to put a fire out in a big loving hurry, because the O2 level will go from 'humans are cool here' to 'dead men tell no tales' in like a minute flat.
  • Easy to access SCBA systems in case the sensors go off. gently caress all you can do in some cases, but at least you'll be conscious and able to act in the event the CO sensor goes off and keeps rising because some dipshit parked an idling tractor near an intake. Also training to put it on when tired as poo poo or just woken up, or possibly drunk as hell. That muscle memory could save your life.
  • Loud as gently caress wake the dead alarms in place for fire/atmo issues, unless you've passed out due to a heroin OD, it should wake your rear end up.
After all that's said and done, and you still want your batcave apocalyptic nerd-bunker, go for it. Good luck getting an occupancy permit for it though, most municipalities will flat out deny you one. You might be able to argue with them and get a variance, especially if you follow the guidelines in the FEMA bunker pdf.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 18, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UKNajCgpEs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Using containers for construction is a huge fad and a trap. There's a few rare situations where it can be economical, but for the most part it's really not worth it. Using one for a shed, or a storage unit at a construction site? Sure. A house or anything fit for long term human use? No. The dimensions aren't ideal, they require insulation, reinforcing, wiring, and a ton of other things to make them habitable that eat up the cost savings. And even if you do save a little, or break even, the results are kinda lovely cramped quarters with a ton of compromises.

A lot of people in construction and development and armchair housing policy folks got really excited about the idea of solving housing problems by building huge container apartments and poo poo, but after you do the math and look at the results it's absolutely not worth it. I got really excited about that poo poo when the fad first hit, but after a lot of research and looking at the practical results, it just doesn't check out.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of people in construction and development and armchair housing policy folks got really excited about the idea of solving housing problems by building huge container apartments and poo poo, but after you do the math and look at the results it's absolutely not worth it. I got really excited about that poo poo when the fad first hit, but after a lot of research and looking at the practical results, it just doesn't check out.

Pretty much. If your time is free, materials are scavenged, and maintenance nightmares until entropy converts it all back to iron oxide don't bother you, they can be a great 'deal'. As a lovely throw-away shed thing to store crap in, they work great, because that's what they were designed to do.

The answer to the housing crisis is well made apartment buildings with proper noise and vibration damping, with adequate underground parking for each tenant to have 2 vehicles plus a small storage space. Downside is asking for well made buildings during a housing crisis might as well be asking for blowjobs from a unicorn for how likely they are to actually occur.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Headline says it all.
‘A huge misunderstanding’: Contractor guts wrong Fort Worth house

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Container houses have been a big thing for years already but for office and other professional use in industrial settings, not residential use.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I think container housing makes sense if you set your bar low enough. There's a steady supply of dirt-cheap 20ft pre-insulated containers with missing or dead refrigeration systems, you can turn those into low-income "apartments" that are way better than camping under an overpass or in a doorway. Once you get to the point of trying to cut them up and turn them into a larger structure or that meets residential codes you are missing the point, and there's unfortunately where a lot of the hype went.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DC has one of those container buildings that went up a few years ago.

https://www.apartments.com/3305-7th-st-ne-washington-dc/fyzmqzt/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alereon posted:

I think container housing makes sense if you set your bar low enough. There's a steady supply of dirt-cheap 20ft pre-insulated containers with missing or dead refrigeration systems, you can turn those into low-income "apartments" that are way better than camping under an overpass or in a doorway. Once you get to the point of trying to cut them up and turn them into a larger structure or that meets residential codes you are missing the point suffering from reefer madness.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Reading that, I was like how the hell do you mess that up, but the picture at the start of the article explains it pretty drat well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It says something about the week I've had that I'm legitimately surprised that the guy is making good on it. I figured at best he'd just have some sort of insurance settlement and give them some money, but it sounds like he's taking an active role in repairing everything. Huge fuckup to be certain, and honestly kind of inexcusable, but full credit to the guy for not being a slimeball about it.