Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I haven't watched it in forever, but doesn't Equilibrium also have pretty decent costuming and design as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gyges posted:

I haven't watched it in forever, but doesn't Equilibrium also have pretty decent costuming and design as well?

It's pretty bland, nondescript costuming/design, which I suppose is fine for a dystopian future hell, but it doesn't spark the imagination much. The only two things that really stand out are the cornball premise and the Gun Kata (which is well choreographed).

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Ah goddammit I should've called in Pagemaster. That was repeated viewing in my house when I was a kid. That and Goodburger were the ones I was debating between. I would love for them to watch Goodburger because I feel like it's maybe a little past their time, and I love when they're completely baffled by what they're watching.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Highlander III is the second-best Highlander movie. Do what you will with this fact.

EDIT: You can't post that Equilibirum clip without the kookoo-bananas followup scene in which armed guards stand and wait to be massacred
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weEXyoXZKs

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 19, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's so great. It's an action shlock b-movie and I love it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

God, I forgot about those loving wrist reloaders. That's straight Bollywood.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Squallege posted:

Maybe next time Donnie Darko...

Donnie Dario is awesome, and Equilibrium is pretty good. The weirdest bit is getting Christian Bale, a guy who's speciality is playing emotionless creeps, as a guy who needs to have emotions.
I saw a review of John Wick 2 talking about its Gun-Kata, a phrase I'd only heard from Equilibrium.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Did they give dates? It's not on their website and I don't use facebook.

Dug through Eric's twitter and found out they are playing like 2 blocks from my house on my birthday :woop:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Dug through Eric's twitter and found out they are playing like 2 blocks from my house on my birthday :woop:

Make sure you get front row seats so you get spit on by Steve.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Dmitri-9 posted:

But it is a Gul Dukat episode.

gently caress that.

#WeWantWorf :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

God, I forgot about those loving wrist reloaders. That's straight Bollywood.

Or when he throws 2 clips down a hallway so when he gets halfway done running and gunning through it, he can roll on the ground and reload by slamming his guns on the floor.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

My favourite part of Equilibrium is the very beginning when we get the obligatory exposition speech that all Dystopian films had to have. Its a speech played over the usual stock footage, you know the clips of war damage and fire fighters etc. But right as he says the "21st century" a clip of Stalin appears. Right there it tells you all you need to know about the priorities of the film.

Oh and I really the love the bit where Bale's nemesis is getting visibly angry in the middle of the street while denying that he has feelings, and on the contrary it is Bale who is having the feels.

and as far as the plot is concerned, he's absolutely correct

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It also has Sean Bean performing his signature move.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Oh and I really the love the bit where Bale's nemesis is getting visibly angry in the middle of the street while denying that he has feelings, and on the contrary it is Bale who is having the feels.

and as far as the plot is concerned, he's absolutely correct

"Dystopian ruling body is actually corrupt and hypocritical" isn't a new concept, so I don't think that part is weird.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Or that final fight that's entirely Christian Bale and the main bad guy trying to shoot each other in the face from like 3 inches away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsz7u4eN8I

You know what, Equilibrium might be good.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Equilibrium's biggest sin is being about twenty minutes too long and a half shade too pretentious, otherwise it's a ton of fun.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is overboard the one with a bunch of yuppies being stranded (heh) in the middle of the ocean or is that something completely different?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

e X posted:

Is overboard the one with a bunch of yuppies being stranded (heh) in the middle of the ocean or is that something completely different?

I think you're thinking of Open Water. Overboard is the one where Goldie Hawn is a rich woman who falls out of her yacht, gets amnesia, and Kurt Russel's trailer trash character convinces her that she's his wife to raise his kids.

Now that I think about it, 50 First Dates is like the movie's spiritual sequel in the gross amnesia dating genre.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 19, 2017

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

"Dystopian ruling body is actually corrupt and hypocritical" isn't a new concept, so I don't think that part is weird.

Yeah, that isn't what's happening in that scene, its the opposite in fact. The guy is correct that Chirstian Bale has been rebelling but Bale has framed him so, he defends himself, but even though his character is supposed to be still on that magic drug that suppresses emotions, he denies the accusations by visible and obvious frustration. Its part of Equilibriums overall sloppiness, when its not doing a cool action scene or a melodramatic flashback its really not interested and is just biding its time till it gets to another shootout scene.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
All you need to know about Overboard.
https://youtu.be/5mejc8BhfIQ

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I'm actually kind of glad my movie didn't get picked, because looking back I was very clearly quite drunk while leaving a message.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Equilibrium is one of those movies that may as well been a script in cold storage since the eighties. If it was shot in 1985 it'd have exactly the same lines and deliveries, just replace the (totally awesome) brutalism with really foggy neon factories and it'd be perfect.

Count Chocula posted:

The weirdest bit is getting Christian Bale, a guy who's speciality is playing emotionless creeps, as a guy who needs to have emotions.

I recently watched Captain Corelli's Mandolin where he is meant to be playing a Greek resistance fighter in WWII. I'm a fan of Bale, but anytime he has to be romantic or warm in any way he totally fails. He just seems like he's about to throttle everyone at a moment's notice. Way too intense for any scene with romance in it. Believable Italian Soldier Nic Cage comes in and bangs his fiance. You don't feel bad for Bale's character at all.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I remember having starz for a stint of time as a kid and it was Overboard nonstop for two months straight.

This movie DESERVES the WHM treatment. Even as kids my sister and I thought that it was a bit...not ok. Hooray for getting to relive latchkey kid memories!

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Every year I forget to call in Rover Dangerfield.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah, that isn't what's happening in that scene, its the opposite in fact. The guy is correct that Chirstian Bale has been rebelling but Bale has framed him so, he defends himself, but even though his character is supposed to be still on that magic drug that suppresses emotions, he denies the accusations by visible and obvious frustration. Its part of Equilibriums overall sloppiness, when its not doing a cool action scene or a melodramatic flashback its really not interested and is just biding its time till it gets to another shootout scene.

See you said in the middle of the street so I was thinking it was the scene where Brandt is visibly arresting Preston (Bale's character), kicking him around and telling everyone in the area "LOOK AT THIS loving TRAITOR", not the scene afterwards where he finds out that Preston swapped guns with him at some point to set him up and his protestations to the contrary as he's being dragged away. Especially since in the street scene he's chewing all the scenery as hard as possible. So it sounds to me like you've mixed two different scenes together.

Also keep in mind earlier DuPont snaps at Preston when he thinks he's not being forthcoming enough on his progress on finding the Resistance, complete with table pounding. My point being that this kind of contrarianism isn't much different from how it is in Fahrenheit 451 (the chief keeps and reads books), or Brave New World (the ones in charge frequently look at or review otherwise banned media). I don't consider it sloppy, per-se.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 20, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The WHM guys weren't good on it but I liked Retroactive. It's kind of like a nightmare Jim Belushi movie.

It's like you wake up your parents and tell your parents, "I had a nightmare about Jim Belushi and he was getting angry and spilling beer everywhere...! :cry:"

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

DoubleCakes posted:

The WHM guys weren't good on it but I liked Retroactive. It's kind of like a nightmare Jim Belushi movie.

It's like you wake up your parents and tell your parents, "I had a nightmare about Jim Belushi and he was getting angry and spilling beer everywhere...! :cry:"

I watched it with my mom when it aired on HBO in the 90d. Afterwards I heard her talking to a friend on the phone: "Don't watch Retroactive! I thought hey, it's Jom Belushi, it's only 90 minutes, why not? Ugh!" For some reason I vividly remember that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The David the Gnome AniDamna is absolutely incredible.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
"Bend over and I'll show you" is such an adolescent punchline, but I still laugh every time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At this point we need a warning for when an episode features an Alex Jones impression because oh boy that got so old already

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Calaveron posted:

At this point we need a warning for when an episode features an Alex Jones impression because oh boy that got so old already

It's a shame he's still relevant, which is why we still need those impressions.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Calling it an impression is a bit generous, most impressions are more than just a single line.

Catch you in beeeeed with an impression!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Calaveron posted:

I can't agree with your pro-goblin agenda here.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Calaveron posted:

I still laugh, especially at the website they listing getting weirder and weirder.

PrisonPlanet.fart.yogurt/pizza.knuckles.tv

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

enigmahfc posted:

I still laugh, especially at the website they listing getting weirder and weirder.

PrisonPlanet.fart.yogurt/pizza.knuckles.tv

dot dubya

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, now I just want to re-listen to whichever episode the MAN CAVE was from.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I got like 30 minutes into the Retroactive podcast before I realized it wasn't a comedy. Just going off the descriptions the gross behavior of Jim Belushi as a villain is indistinguishable from Jim Belushi as a comic hero up until he murders his girlfriend.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I got like 30 minutes into the Retroactive podcast before I realized it wasn't a comedy. Just going off the descriptions the gross behavior of Jim Belushi as a villain is indistinguishable from Jim Belushi as a comic hero up until he murders his girlfriend.

:same: Right up to the shooting I thought it was just a regular Jim Belushi movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Clearly this is Jim Belushi's The Cable Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

weekly font posted:

The David the Gnome AniDamna is absolutely incredible.

I can't believe no one jumped on Jupin mistakenly saying that Hinkley shot Lincoln; I've legit been cracking up just thinking about all those potential missed jokes