Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
The Fertittas' long-term goal was global domination, hence all the international cards and fighters. I think it was Lorenzo in his big sit down that said he envisioned the sport being bigger than soccer.

The new owners have nixed that idea and want to roll back the number of cards. Makes sense short-term, the UFC still was plenty of names and if anything they had been spreading themselves too thin in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't follow how they have been spread too thin? I don't have a mind for global strategies for cage fighting tho

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it's cody man-boy-love we've all seen his courageous friend

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't follow how they have been spread too thin? I don't have a mind for global strategies for cage fighting tho

huge roster and too many events? i dunno if it's real tho. there have been some stinkers for sure but there always were

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

thin cards now is a consequence of blowing their load on shows like 200 and 205 with main event worthy fights all the way through the card, which was a price worth paying in my opinion as a viewer

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They probably won't be doing that again either.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
personally im more interested in how fun the cards are to watch than whos on them and cards now are really good compared to all of the old ones ive seen which were full of fat guys and chemical experiments who didnt belong at the top level. fights now are generally a lot more competitive and the fighters are usually eager to compete instead of having to pace themselves at a rate of 3 strikes per round in order to not gas out

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the amount of 2 man gas outs has dropped so far

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It's probably financially unrealistic for the UFC to keep every top level talent or prospect in house. They can't get in a bidding war with Bellator for every single fighter of note.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

big money big clit posted:

It's probably financially unrealistic for the UFC to keep every top level talent or prospect in house. They can't get in a bidding war with Bellator for every single fighter of note.

Yeah, the UFC isn't operating in a vacuum so you can't just say that WME-IMG is loving up and damaging the quality of the product because they're stupid. Bellator is bidding for talent and some prominent fighters made free agency work for them. Bendo and Rory might be a model for fighters going forward, instead of the exception that proves the rule.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Don't they have to pay something crazy like 100 million a year in interest on the loan they used to buy out the UFC?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Lid posted:

Yes but if you start relying on only names they realise that they control you and not tge other way around, UFC was successful in building by avoiding the boxing pitfall of letting the fighters choose. The loss of Lorenzo and Joe Silva contributes strongly to this. As for Sage and Paige everyone could see that was protection based on nothing and yeah it blew up in their faces. As for Bones he is one that shows what happens when you get too big too fast and burns out in a blaze of glory, like tge burn one feels from a fingernail raking the cornea.

I get the feeling Jones was a tremendous rear end in a top hat and gently caress up before becoming famous in the UFC.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Don't they have to pay something crazy like 100 million a year in interest on the loan they used to buy out the UFC?

• We don't know the terms of the loans
  • we know they borrowed $1.8B and $100M annual interest is a reasonable guess
  • it is not crazy, provided UFC can sustain the revenue and growth they have shown over the past few years

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Trast posted:

I get the feeling Jones was a tremendous rear end in a top hat and gently caress up before becoming famous in the UFC.

Well, he famously bragged about snitching on people who smoked pot in high school so, yes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

[
  • it is not crazy, provided UFC can sustain the revenue and growth they have shown over the past few years

And, based on the policy shift they've shown in terms of talent acquisition, retentions and release, that's in pretty loving serious doubt.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Yeah, the UFC isn't operating in a vacuum so you can't just say that WME-IMG is loving up and damaging the quality of the product because they're stupid. Bellator is bidding for talent and some prominent fighters made free agency work for them. Bendo and Rory might be a model for fighters going forward, instead of the exception that proves the rule.

My guess, judging from when the Alvarez contract stuff came out, would be that the UFC is a much better place for top guys due to PPV points. We'll probably see more mid-level/prospects bouncing around leagues as they are more viable for other leagues to poach, and in turn they can hope to leverage the UFC by going on a tear elsewhere.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

[leaning intimately close to mic at post-fight presser] i crave the rear end up

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

There's a card tonight. It's probably going to be bad. Unlike the hit new M. Night Shyamalan film "Split," certified "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810694

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Really enjoyed Jeremy Horns "Where are they now?" he seems to have it together with his once hot fighter wife turned dumpy marm. Quite the opposite from depressing as hell Joe Stevenson.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Snowman_McK posted:

And, based on the policy shift they've shown in terms of talent acquisition, retentions and release, that's in pretty loving serious doubt.

Why? Who have they lost so far that's cost them significant amounts of money. If you accept on principle that they simply can't win every negotiation then what's the alternative?

I'm also not sure losing prospects to Bellator is the worst thing. If they prove they're worth it the. The UFC will bring them back, if they don't then they won't and no great harm is done.

There's this idea that the UFC must have the best fighters, but we've seen from the WEC and Strikeforce acquisitions that there were a lot of excellent fighters fighting under other banners, and the UFC still continued to grow substantially.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

big money big clit posted:

There's this idea that the UFC must have the best fighters, but we've seen from the WEC and Strikeforce acquisitions that there were a lot of excellent fighters fighting under other banners, and the UFC still continued to grow substantially.

At that point in time, the UFC was only doing like a dozen-ish cards a year with plenty of room to grow. Now we're sitting on ~card a week and they're losing prospects and names to other orgs.

I already don't give a gently caress about most of any given card and I'm a fan.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Letting people like Rory or Lorenz Larkin go aren't terrible decisions because they come from the deepest division talent wise. Losing two young hot prospects from your weakest two divisions is bad.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If I was any of these guys, I would stay the hell away from Bellator until I knew what the tv situation was going to be long term from this Spike rebranding deal.

If Bellator doesn't fit with "Paramount Network" it's likely going to get moved to CBS Sports Network, which few people have, and the whole operation is gonna fall apart.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Marching Powder posted:

At that point in time, the UFC was only doing like a dozen-ish cards a year with plenty of room to grow. Now we're sitting on ~card a week and they're losing prospects and names to other orgs.

I already don't give a gently caress about most of any given card and I'm a fan.

If I had to guess, WME plans to run way fewer shows.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

If I had to guess, WME plans to run way fewer shows.

yeah. fewer shows and fewer international cards.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

sportsgenius86 posted:

If I was any of these guys, I would stay the hell away from Bellator until I knew what the tv situation was going to be long term from this Spike rebranding deal.

If Bellator doesn't fit with "Paramount Network" it's likely going to get moved to CBS Sports Network, which few people have, and the whole operation is gonna fall apart.

Viacom isn't CBS so I think they're more likely to end up on MTV or VH1 or something if they leave Spike/Paramount Network.

e: I think it's most likely to stay where it is, though.

DumbWhiteGuy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 20, 2017

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Viacom isn't CBS so I think they're more likely to end up on MTV or VH1 or something if they leave Spike/Paramount Network.

Does this mean that we might see the return of Bully Beatdown

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Ironic Twist posted:

Does this mean that we might see the return of Bully Beatdown

I'm here to ruin christmas for you: it was fake the whole time

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

e: I think it's most likely to stay where it is, though.

They're both controlled by the same parent company.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I'm here to ruin christmas for you: it was fake the whole time

No, I know that, and I also never watched it, and also my favorite pasttime is making jokes that don't land

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
There are more good fights then there used to be.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I think we should wait for actual numbers before we decide if what they are doing is good or bad.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dangersim posted:

There are more good fights then there used to be.

WME are adopting the 'used to be' strategy, though.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

WME are adopting the 'used to be' strategy, though.

i believe the better fights now are down to stuff like drug testing and better standards of athleticism, and little things like weigh in changes etc.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

i believe the better fights now are down to stuff like drug testing and better standards of athleticism, and little things like weigh in changes etc.

I think matchmaking and hiring practices have had a lot to do with it too, but I guess we'll see. I am not averse to the idea that fights might keep being real good, but it's equally possible that 2016 was a freak year and/or it was down to changes the Loretta's made that have now been undone, or are planned to be undone.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Being a striker in the lighter weightclasses/women's weight classes and not being confident in your takedown defence seems like it would really suck.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i think unless they fundamentally change the way mma fights work then itll stay fun for a long time. i realise they just changed the rules but it seems like the intention is to keep fights exciting and so far theyve been generally good

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think the rule changes are all good changes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

I think matchmaking and hiring practices have had a lot to do with it too, but I guess we'll see.

I get the feeling that the worst decision new management has made thus far is letting Joe Silva walk. 2014 was absolutely ravaged by main events falling apart and yet the year itself was great in no small part because he and Shelby got really loving good at their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Other organizations have proven that it is actually pretty easy to make lovely, bad fights that nobody wants to watch. Hopefully the new owners realize this.

• Locked thread