Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is incredibly illegal and they would get sued into oblivion after about one week, so I'm gonna say you're full of poo poo.

I made a post with pics about the new holes in the back of my buddy's car two years ago when it happened. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I was just at my Local Ford dealer, Raceway Ford in east Riverside. They had 4 Focus RSs, $50K.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Bogatyr posted:

I was just at my Local Ford dealer, Raceway Ford in east Riverside. They had 4 Focus RSs, $50K.

What was the ADM? $5000?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
10,000. The 2 I looked closely at had $40K MSRP

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got a 37.5 mpg tank on the way back from CO. At 80 mph for the majority of the drive on winter tires. :toot:

My best 2 tanks in the TDI were both right at 42 mpg. To be fair to the TDI, it always had a roof rack on it and one of those tanks it was loaded with a kayak and a mountain bike with a 20+ mph tailwind the whole way.

Gonna get the GTI cleaned up tomorrow to see how well the body shop did.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RS guys seems there may be a head gasket issue in some cars. There are two 2.3L engines used in the RS manufacturing v4 has a rivet and v5 a hex key plug. "You are going to need to look just above your starter, there are two plugs, a larger one and a smaller one. You want to look at the smaller one almost directly behind the starter on the front of your engine just below the intake manifold. Literally dead center of the car. Check to see if it is a flat rivet or a Hex Key plug (16mm diameter) "(info from tuner that posted about this on facebook) I have a v4 with 9500 miles and no issues besides when I had CEL for misfire, which was fixed with a change of spark plugs and proper gapping. Just a heads up, if you have rough idle on cold start, and milky exhaust take it to the dealer and get that poo poo fixed. They are just replacing entire blocks for this.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

RS guys seems there may be a head gasket issue in some cars. There are two 2.3L engines used in the RS manufacturing v4 has a rivet and v5 a hex key plug. "You are going to need to look just above your starter, there are two plugs, a larger one and a smaller one. You want to look at the smaller one almost directly behind the starter on the front of your engine just below the intake manifold. Literally dead center of the car. Check to see if it is a flat rivet or a Hex Key plug (16mm diameter) "(info from tuner that posted about this on facebook) I have a v4 with 9500 miles and no issues besides when I had CEL for misfire, which was fixed with a change of spark plugs and proper gapping. Just a heads up, if you have rough idle on cold start, and milky exhaust take it to the dealer and get that poo poo fixed. They are just replacing entire blocks for this.

I saw that on the RS Facebook page yesterday. Seeing as my car was built on 2/7/2017 and is still sitting at the plant in Germany, I obviously have no way of telling until I get it, but I would imagine that this late in the production run it should be a V5 block. Have you seen the thread on the FocusRS.org forum about the drive modes being disabled when it's below freezing? Seems that due to the angle of the exhaust pipe where the bypass valve is located, water is condensing in the exhaust pipe and is pooling near the butterfly valve and then freezes the valve shut when it is cold. When you start the car it tries to cycle the valve open and closed, and since it can't because the butterfly is frozen it gives the Drive modes unavailable message. Apparently the easy fix is to drill a small drain hole at the lowest spot directly in front of the butterfly.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah I've seen the drive modes one posted about but it hasn't happened to me and it gets cold in Jersey so I guess I've just been getting lucky.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Both drivers side bags. I basically got a new front end minus the passenger front fender.

That'll do it. Airbags are expensive as hell. Nothing went off in my car, so all it required was replacing the entire driver side of the car.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

RS guys seems there may be a head gasket issue in some cars.

Huge_Midget posted:

Have you seen the thread on the FocusRS.org forum about the drive modes being disabled when it's below freezing?

And people poo poo on french and italian cars. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

That'll do it. Airbags are expensive as hell. Nothing went off in my car, so all it required was replacing the entire driver side of the car.

Headlights too. $1200 a piece. Gonna hand wash it tomorrow, can already tell they dried it with a rag full of lovely Colorado road sand

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well maybe that'll teach you to stop running into poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Well maybe that'll teach you to stop running into poo poo.

I can't help it that people like to force me to hit them with my vehicle. Both accidents I've ever been in were the exact same scenario of a person making a blind left turn across multiple lane roads.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I wonder how many of the rs motors that will be. Crazy

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Initial reports seem to indicate not too many. I have a hunch that what happened was that they switched to a different block casting design early in the MY2016 run and some incorrect head gaskets got used. Ford has apparently been good about getting the engines replaced under warranty so far, so unless you have one of the absolute first ones that rolled off the line I wouldn't be too worried.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

Initial reports seem to indicate not too many. I have a hunch that what happened was that they switched to a different block casting design early in the MY2016 run and some incorrect head gaskets got used. Ford has apparently been good about getting the engines replaced under warranty so far, so unless you have one of the absolute first ones that rolled off the line I wouldn't be too worried.

Yeah pretty much this. I'm an early build with v4 engine with 9500 miles and I'm fine(so far). It's something like 10 cars reporting the issue so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, I'm not all that happy with the quality of the repairs. I'll get some pics up if they came out alright. Pretty easy to tell which are the new panels, scratches, hosed up orange peel, etc...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fknlo posted:

Well, I'm not all that happy with the quality of the repairs. I'll get some pics up if they came out alright. Pretty easy to tell which are the new panels, scratches, hosed up orange peel, etc...

Grim. Thoughts and prayers, etc.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
drat, that sucks. My horror story shop at least nailed the cosmetics; all the way down to matching the 7 year old existing paint. Fuckers couldn't tighten control arm bolts but they could paint at least. Hope it's good enough to sting less with time at least...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

That'll do it. Airbags are expensive as hell.

Yup, our co uses an automated formula to predict total losses prior to estimate and no single item predicts a total loss more assuredly than airbag deployment. Most cars you have to replace large portions of the interior, not just the bags.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

Yup, our co uses an automated formula to predict total losses prior to estimate and no single item predicts a total loss more assuredly than airbag deployment. Most cars you have to replace large portions of the interior, not just the bags.

I wish I'd had something heavy on the passenger seat now so that all the bags would have deployed and they would have just loving totaled it. I'm so upset right now.

My pics didn't come out very well, i'll have to work on getting some more to highlight the orange peel issue on the hood.

http://imgur.com/a/HO36l

The color difference is very noticeable with the eye. Those are all straight out of phone/camera. If you gently caress around with filters it can really show it off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...that is unacceptable.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah that's pretty horrible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

...that is unacceptable.

I added a couple that kind of show the orange peel issue on the hood.

It's just one 12ish inch patch that is like that. That I noticed anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At least you've got it back home and since you went through their shop, you should be able to get it fixed locally. Raise hell, whoever tinted that paint is awful.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Holy poo poo that is bad. You'd have been better off matching junk yard parts and paint.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I dunno how leases work, but would VW or whoever actually owns the car need to know about this? Could they hold it over your head somehow when you turn the car in at the end of lease period?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I dunno how leases work, but would VW or whoever actually owns the car need to know about this? Could they hold it over your head somehow when you turn the car in at the end of lease period?

From what I've read, as long as the vehicle isn't totaled and is returned to original specifications it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure I'd owe VW a shitload of money if I tried to turn it in in its current condition though.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Sold my Evo when I moved from California to North Carolina last month. Got a new ST as a replacement, since I was looking for something a bit more updated and comfortable, but still fun. So far, loving the car. Hard to get used to breaking traction under power, coming from AWD though.

Also, I can't wait to not live in an apartment complex. The truck is mine.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 19, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Threw my roof rack on yesterday. Someone in the "what did you do today" thread wanted some pics to see how it attached. This made me notice that the drivers front foot isn't sitting properly. I've spent about an hour here at work dicking with it and can not get it to mount properly.

Album here

I'd normally assume it was a crossbar issue, but with the quality of the rest of the work I'm obviously leaping to the conclusion that the frame is bent. For reference, the pictures of the underside should show the the clamp between the indents on both sides. You can only see both of them on the passenger side. Hopefully it's just the loving crossbar.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sipher posted:

Sold my Evo when I moved from California to North Carolina last month. Got a new ST as a replacement, since I was looking for something a bit more updated and comfortable, but still fun. So far, loving the car. Hard to get used to breaking traction under power, coming from AWD though.

Also, I can't wait to not live in an apartment complex. The truck is mine.

Jesus, I never realized the Accord was that big compared to the Focus.

Also, this is why I recommended Precision Auto :) They are an amazing shop. Other than the lovely dent they painted over on the driver sill, you'd never know the car got hit.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

veedubfreak posted:

Jesus, I never realized the Accord was that big compared to the Focus.

I'm assuming you're unfamiliar with the Odyssey or is :thejoke:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bajaha posted:

I'm assuming you're unfamiliar with the Odyssey or is :thejoke:

No, i did not realize that was a CUV.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

veedubfreak posted:

No, i did not realize that was a CUV.

lol dont drunkpost.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Also, this is why I recommended Precision Auto :) They are an amazing shop. Other than the lovely dent they painted over on the driver sill, you'd never know the car got hit.
Unfortunately for me I was more worried about securing a car to get home the next day when I had my option to choose shops. I should hear from my insurance company tomorrow to see where I go from here.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

lol dont drunkpost.

Sad part is, I'm completely sober. I just as you can imagine, don't know Hondas.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
poo poo is getting real in my search for a hot hatch. It's currently down to the Fiesta and the GTI. Anyone mind throwing down why they went one way or the other?

I want the Fiesta for the driving experience. But the GTI is so much nicer for the long hauls my wife and I like to take around the PNW. I'm having trouble justifying the extra 4-5 grand that the GTI commands though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Quite A Tool posted:

poo poo is getting real in my search for a hot hatch. It's currently down to the Fiesta and the GTI. Anyone mind throwing down why they went one way or the other?

I want the Fiesta for the driving experience. But the GTI is so much nicer for the long hauls my wife and I like to take around the PNW. I'm having trouble justifying the extra 4-5 grand that the GTI commands though.

The fiesta is a LOT smaller than a GTI. It's like asking do you want to buy the tiniest car ford sells, or a car that is useful.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Split the difference and get a Focus?

It's closer to Golf size without being Golf boring. lovely interior though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Fiesta just seems like my Focus with the trunk chopped off. :shrug: