Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
EDDIEBETTS sighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I saw Nigel Smart, but that's about all.

Coming home with the breeze, clean up the skills a little and they can do this

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Stream died on me, put on some pants and moved to the pub.

~10 people here watching it on the larger screen and a few others at the bar.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

GO CROWS

Phillips is the loving boss

E: 9006 was the crowd, only 200 down on week 1, and kids cricket was still on this morning

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 19, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Bugger, was hoping Carlton would win because I think they're an easier prospect to knock out of the top 2 than Adelaide

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rip.

Wind and davey + hariman being off at the end of the 3rd and stary of the 4th cost us.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tippett with a disgusting man bun

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I love the Crows women's team :swoon:

Erin Phillips' bomb from 60m was directly in front of me, I think I scared a few poor kids in front of me when I let out a yell as it went through, hahahaha.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

drat it Carlton. TBH I thought Crows would win but I decided to be loyal and tip the Blues.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I keep forgetting to tip, the site isn't sending me reminder emails

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's weird because it always sends me reminders and also tells me my results.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ewe2 posted:

That's weird because it always sends me reminders and also tells me my results.

Ok so it turns out that the default is to have all reminder and result emails turned off, and having them turned on on the AFL tipping didn't translate to the AFLW tipping :downsgun:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Get well soon Kellie Gibson :(

ily Erin Phillips

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I reckon Cloke looked good for the Bulldogs & Crameri looked good after a slow start while Brad Lynch will be real good winger while his body develops until he can play HBF. Wish I can say the same about Adams who really seemed to be bothered by his hand while Webb just seemed off.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Question: for the AFLW teams, 9000 was described as being a pretty good crowd. (And it was probably a bigger crowd than, for example, GWS had in some of its year one matches.) How big do we reckon crowds will eventually get? Will it be big enough to warrant maybe using actual AFL ovals?

And if not, would there maybe be room to expand AFLW into states that don't have AFL sides due to smaller populations? Like for example, one suggested reason Tassie doesn't have an AFL team has been that they have a relatively small population split up between Launceston and Hobart, but if they're not aiming for the 50,000 or so strong crowds that you get in the AFL, could Tassie sustain an AFLW team just as easily as one of the bigger states does?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Question: for the AFLW teams, 9000 was described as being a pretty good crowd. (And it was probably a bigger crowd than, for example, GWS had in some of its year one matches.) How big do we reckon crowds will eventually get? Will it be big enough to warrant maybe using actual AFL ovals?

And if not, would there maybe be room to expand AFLW into states that don't have AFL sides due to smaller populations? Like for example, one suggested reason Tassie doesn't have an AFL team has been that they have a relatively small population split up between Launceston and Hobart, but if they're not aiming for the 50,000 or so strong crowds that you get in the AFL, could Tassie sustain an AFLW team just as easily as one of the bigger states does?

I think they'll probably hover at about the 9-10k point. We had the first AFLW match that people had to pay to get into and it had a bigger turnout than the preseason match before it.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

UUGGHHHH the footage of Sam Day dislocating his hip looks painful as gently caress. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Chairchucker posted:

They could have them in AFL grounds right now you'd think, just put a bunch of tarps out

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Sounds like Roughead is probably going to miss the first four rounds with a hamstring. I knew it wasn't going to be an ACL because he grabbed the inside of his leg when he went down but I figured that a PCL was probably the likely result.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

They could have them in AFL grounds right now you'd think, just put a bunch of tarps out

They could, but they'd be operating each game at a substantial loss, and that would be unsustainable even for the AFL.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

They could, but they'd be operating each game at a substantial loss, and that would be unsustainable even for the AFL.

It's also simply a better look to jam-pack a smaller ground than have 10,000 people look like nothing in one of the bigger grounds. This was something the American MLS eventually learned too.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, I think the GF would fill out Docklands pretty nicely (if it was to be held in Melbourne), Perth and Adelaide have a few options as well. Not sure what one there are in Brisbane, though, there's a bit of a leap from that suburban oval up to the Gabba, I'm not sure there are any QAFL club grounds that can fit that 10-15 thousand mark.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Windmill Hut posted:

UUGGHHHH the footage of Sam Day dislocating his hip looks painful as gently caress. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

Yep. Not the worst I've ever seen (Robbie Gray still holds that honour) but yeah he's hosed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
From Friday, but still:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lists-too-small-strains-surfacing--clubs-push-for-more-aflw-players-20170216-guepb2.html

quote:

A club push for AFLW lists to expand – one side has proposed jumping from 27 to 40 – comes with the current cap proving problematic just two weeks into season one.

The growing tally of season-ending injuries is creating genuine concern, and varying degrees of strain, across the new eight-club competition.

Some coaches and players are already convinced the AFL's mandated limit of 27 female footballers per club is way too small and must be changed as a matter of priority for year two.

Carlton, Collingwood and Greater Western Sydney have all been forced to use the 'top-up' system which, under current rules, is only permitted when clubs cannot fill a team sheet.

It is a remarkable scenario when compared to the weekly running of AFL men's sides, which have lists of 45 and name 22 players for premiership season games like in the AFLW.

Angst over the women's list cap – each club began with 27 players, including two rookies, and can bring in 'top-up' players if the number of fit footballers drops below 24 – is materialising as some feared.

Also, this was the banner for the blues, pity about the result of the game.

SES WARNING
THE ELECTRIC BLUES
ARE HERE
PREPARE FOR ANOTHER
ADELAIDE BLACKOUT​

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 19, 2017

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Windmill Hut posted:

Now confirmed as a car crash-esque BROKEN and DISLOCATED hip.
Probably gone for the year.

I can't recall ever seeing the team doctor give a player a green whistle on the field.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pkid posted:

Now confirmed as a car crash-esque BROKEN and DISLOCATED hip.
Probably gone for the year.

I can't recall ever seeing the team doctor give a player a green whistle on the field.

Dermott said it's the same injury that finished him off. Killed Bo Jackson too. Good chance of being a career ender. Suns have the worst luck with injuries.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Should probably just retire the Suns as a brand. It's clearly cursed and is a risk to its players.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I for one am enjoying my free ticket to the gun show

https://twitter.com/Neroli_M_FOX/status/833452984856047616

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Periphery posted:

Should probably just retire the Suns as a brand. It's clearly cursed and is a risk to its players.

Rip the suns. They never played finals footy

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Josh Wagner dislocated his fibula against the Dogs. Ouch

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This is neat. French astronaut Thomas Pesquet has been taking a lot of great photos recently from the ISS. He took one of Melbourne the other day and he goes the extra step to give some information with each photo.

quote:

The beautiful city of Melbourne! First picture I took where, if you zoom in, you can see cars, or maybe trucks… sorry: utes ;) G'day, mates! The green squares and oval are where the Australian Open was last month. I hear there are some solid games of "footy" down there for the opening rounds of Australian Rules Football this month too. That's the weird type of Rugby that was influenced by basketball… I need to look more into it ;) Congratulations to the brand new Women's League!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thom_astro/32452480142/

He's a big rugby fan and watched the six nations on the projector up there. Although basketball is younger.

He took this of Uluru at sunrise the other week too.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-players-old-myspace-accounts-are-an-absolute-gold-mine/?station=melbourne

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

FREMANTLE has been fined $10,000 by the AFL for wearing the wrong uniform in its NAB AFL Women’s match against Greater Western Sydney at Blacktown last weekend.

The Dockers wore their away strip (predominantly white jumper and white shorts) instead of the predominantly all-purple combination they were directed to wear by the AFL in a dossier issued to teams last week.

The all-white outfit clashed with the Giants’ mainly all-white uniform, especially from behind (both jumpers have white backs).

At quarter-time, the Giants changed into charcoal-coloured shorts after a staff member collected them from the club’s Homebush base.

On Monday afternoon the Dockers apologised for the uniform breach and conceded they had made an operational error.

The AFL said half the fine would be suspended.

$5000 fine, a bit harsh but yeah, that first quarter was pretty drat confusing for everyone. I'm surprised they don't take both the normal and away strips to all games. It is only an extra bag for all the extras and then you can do promo things at the ground with the normal colours.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

drunkill posted:

$5000 fine, a bit harsh but yeah, that first quarter was pretty drat confusing for everyone. I'm surprised they don't take both the normal and away strips to all games. It is only an extra bag for all the extras and then you can do promo things at the ground with the normal colours.

I don't know how it is for women's footy, but I watched a documentary once on the logistics behind traveling as an NFL team, and holy poo poo. You've got to think, they're already having to pack all the medical gear, all the extra cleats and player equipment as backups in case any of their stuff breaks, all the game day staff and players, and god knows what else, and they probably don't have the biggest budgets to do it on.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nah, Fremantle isn't going to struggle to find $5000

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If anything surely taking the same stuff every week (both sets of kit) makes logistics simpler than taking different stuff based on the game

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/championdata/status/833266447899955200

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

the age posted:

Richmond star Dustin Martin has urged the Federal Government to allow his deported father to return to Australia because "he hadn't done anything wrong"

In April last year, Shane Martin was deported to New Zealand for his alleged links to outlawed motorcycle gang, the Rebels, a link Dustin Martin confirmed in a television interview on Monday nigfht.

"I am in a footy club, he is in a bikie club," Martin has told Channel Nine's A Current Affair, adding his father was no longer part of the gang.

"I wake up every day hoping to get a phone call from dad, saying 'just hold on, I am coming back'," he said.

"Just because he was in a club doesn't mean he has done anything wrong.

"I am in a footy club, he is in a bikie club, they join, get together and go for rides."

Dustin Martin was born in Victoria but his father remains a citizen of New Zealand. Speaking from there, Shane told ACA not many parents had famous sons.

"Now I sit on the other side of another country, and I can't even enjoy that," he said.

"If I committed a murder, had domestic violence or had anything to do with a threat to Australia, as they say, I could wear it.

"But I have got no charges, nothing. That's pretty hard to swallow."

Dustin Martin, a skilful midfielder who finished third in the AFL's Brownlow Medal count last year, also spoke out about missing out on his dad's support. He has had his own troubles, apologising last year for threatening to stab a restaurant patron with a chopstick after she told a drunken Martin to behave at a Melbourne eatery.

You see the other guys with their parents. I don't have my dad there. It is pretty sad. If he was a criminal, I would cop it.

"You see the other guys with their parents. I don't have my dad there. It is pretty sad. If he was a criminal, I would cop it," Martin said.

"Taking him away for association is no reason for breaking up the family.

"I think it is pretty stupid."

According to A Current Affair Shane Martin had consented to revealing his Australian criminal record, which the show reported dated to 1990, soon after his arrival from NZ.

It includes, the show reported, unlawful assault, burglary, armed with an intent, criminal damage and resisting police. He was ordered to carry out 250 hours of community work.

Over the next six years, Shane Martin was reportedly convicted and fined four times for possessing a restricted substance and once for possessing a drug of dependence.
In 2004, according to ACA, he received a two-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months for aiding and abetting in the trafficking of ecstasy.

His last brush with the law was reportedly in January 2004, when he was convicted and fined for possessing a drug of dependence, and possessing ecstasy and cannabis.

Geez who told Dusty the best way to go about this was on A Current Affair of all loving places.

I feel a bit sorry for Dusty, it would be pretty hard for someone in the spotlight like he is, who clearly doesn't like it, to have one of his parents deported would be rough.
But equating a footy club to a bikie club is a pretty loving long bow to draw.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The fb comments on foxfooty were about what you'd expect from the people trying to defend his dad "How can we deport this guy but the AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT pays for TERRORISTS to live in this country??? Double standards!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

8+ weeks for Rougheads hamstring

• Locked thread