Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I just reached the start of chapter 5 and... that opening cutscene was unexpected. That and the conversation with Nishiki gave me a good laugh though.

Is this the chapter where property buying finally opens, or is that later on?

Yeah it is. I've been stalled out (by choice) on chapter 5 grinding properties for some time now. It doesn't help that I only get a couple of hours a week to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm replaying the part where I need to gather information about the Odyssey, and I'd like to get the trophy for gathering all the info before negotiating. So far, I've talked to the guy on Bishamon bridge, and I've eavesdropped on the two guys just south of the Odyssey. There should be one more conversation that I need, but I haven't found it. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

There's a wannabe hostess on the south side of Bishamon I think.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got the limit breaker for Kiryu, and I even won some JCC tournaments in the process.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I just reached the start of chapter 5 and... that opening cutscene was unexpected. That and the conversation with Nishiki gave me a good laugh though.

Is this the chapter where property buying finally opens, or is that later on?

You will need to advance to chapter 6 about 75% through the mini game, IIRC. If something you expect fails to happen, advance the story.

Specifically: the gambling king mini game challenge is the Catfight, so you need to unlock it first, it happens just after you get the ability to toss money around.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

You will need to advance to chapter 6 about 75% through the mini game, IIRC. If something you expect fails to happen, advance the story.

Specifically: the gambling king mini game challenge is the Catfight, so you need to unlock it first, it happens just after you get the ability to toss money around.

I'm currently on the last of the 5 billionaires and have yet to progress past chapter 5, so this isn't right. Although you do need to unlock that particular thing to progress that particular billionaire's segment it can absolutely be done in chapter 5.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 19, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Occasionally, when I fish, I pull up a fortune teller thing. Does it have anything to do with anything in the game? The character throws it back immediately. It feels like an easter egg.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

I'm currently on the last of the 5 billionaires and have yet to progress past chapter 5, so this isn't right. Although you do need to unlock that particular thing to progress that particular billionaire's segment it can absolutely be done in chapter 5.

Apologies, I must have gotten 4 and 5 confused then. Or something else.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If it's possible to unlock catfighting in chapter 5 it's very well-hidden. I had the sidestory finder and it didn't show up, and the khhsubs guide says you can only find that sidestory in 6.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sindai posted:

If it's possible to unlock catfighting in chapter 5 it's very well-hidden. I had the sidestory finder and it didn't show up, and the khhsubs guide says you can only find that sidestory in 6.

That's what I thought, but I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt. The important information is that progress is barred by the catfighting minigame. :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fat Samurai posted:

That's what I thought, but I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt. The important information is that progress is barred by the catfighting minigame. :shrug:

This is definitely the worst and most frustrating minigame in the game. Just terrible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

This is definitely the worst and most frustrating minigame in the game. Just terrible.

If they HAD to have it, they could have had it be fully interactive and make each girl have one of the styles in the game, and maybe some of the ones from 4 and 5. (On the other hand, at that point it's very similar to the arena in Osaka)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, this catfighting minigame... does it involve actual cats? I'd normally say no, but, well, chicken real estate managers.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Just pick the blonde girl with the glasses cause her stats are insane. I wound up winning the progress-related fight after a single game of janken.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yeah, either just pick Jennifer, or read the ticker at the bottom of the screen to see who's having a good/bad/lucky day.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Just pick the blonde girl with the glasses cause her stats are insane. I wound up winning the progress-related fight after a single game of janken.

The girl in the green bikini is fairly strong too, however, so if blondie is against her, it's more a toss-up.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
The 24 Hour Cinderella costume does NOT come with roller skates. I give this game a 2 out of 10.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

The 24 Hour Cinderella costume does NOT come with roller skates. I give this game a 2 out of 10.

As the only Karaoke Song I've naturally been able to get 90+ from the get go, this displeases me greatly.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The only karaoke song I couldn't get on my first try was heart break mermaid and that's only because I was cracking up from the JAN JANJAJAN

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zaggitz posted:

The only karaoke song I couldn't get on my first try was heart break mermaid and that's only because I was cracking up from the JAN JANJAJAN

The karaoke is by far my favorite mini game so far, mainly because each song is a hallucination into a faux music video.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

enojy posted:

The karaoke is by far my favorite mini game so far, mainly because each song is a hallucination into a faux music video.

Bakamitai might not be. I can totally buy Kiryu singing soulfully into his whisky glass.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm still not sure if I like 24 Hour Cinderella more than GET to the Top! but both are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFoNwoMxjY

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nothing tops Saejima's rouge of love for me, it's less immediately funny than Majima's songs, but the story context for why it happens in 5 makes it the most hilarious moment in the series for me.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Ok so what do the symbols mean for the business advisor ratings. They're all like circle, triangle, and x and I don't know which is good or bad

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Ok so what do the symbols mean for the business advisor ratings. They're all like circle, triangle, and x and I don't know which is good or bad

X is worst, triangle is OK, circle is good, double circle is best. This is, to my knowledge, never explained.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

X is worst, triangle is OK, circle is good, double circle is best. This is, to my knowledge, never explained.

It's a very common scale in Japanese stuff (I'm also 99% sure that it's stated in the help files for the minigame)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ludwig van Halen posted:

To further this, eyeballing the results a 3 star advisor with a double circle seems to increase bars the same as a 4-5 star advisor with a single circle.

"Well, It's only a single circle but it IS Miracle Johnson!... So I'll use him this time-Oh that... didn't seem to do any more than usual. huh."

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
X then triangle then circle then double circle.

How do I beat the third slot car race?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

It's a very common scale in Japanese stuff (I'm also 99% sure that it's stated in the help files for the minigame)
It is, in fact, not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It is, in fact, not.
I assume you were talking about whether it was in the manual, but yeah the circle triangle x meaning best ok bad thing is just part of the background here and I need to explain to my students that it may not be obvious to foreigners.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Just finished this last night after not playing or even knowing much about the Yakuza-series in general. I have a lot of sidequests still left, but holy poo poo what a good game.
I don't want to get too hyperbolic but what I was really impressed with was the story, and I don't know poo poo if anything's a reference or a call-forward or whatever. It just worked for me - better than a lot of TV-shows...

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I finished it yesterday and now I'm a bit sad it's over. Everyone changing into their permanent duds at the end and gave it a such a nice sense of closure, which is no mean feat for a prequel. I also loved how they finally a addressed something I've been giving out about for a decade, which is how come random footsoldier Kiryu gets to be the guy with the cool dragon tattoo while people much older and more important than him are stuck with like, slugs and goats on their back. Turns out you just get whatever you want and then beat the poo poo out of whoever else happens to have the same theme.

If I had to bitch about it I'd say it's a bit disappointing how you spend 15 odd hours playing Majima and he still doesn't make any sense. Obviously they wrote themselves into a hell of a hole long before this game even entered the planning stages but what they wrote here is basically a normal guy who one day decided to start shrieking and stop wearing shirts because #YOLO.
There are several points in the game where I was like 'this is it, this is where he finally loses his poo poo!' but then 45 seconds later he's completely calm and rational again, and I wish they would've either committed to one of those as a turning point or just turned the whole thing into an elaborate act of showmanship. I mean as-is you could say it's a blend of the two (he had the Joker's voice for a reason) but if that's what's going on this game was annoyingly vague about it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's more that Goro Majima realises that his time on this earth is numbered eventually, and he is going to go balls out like Nishitani, and he is going to be weird with it. Live life to its fullest,let lose. Unhinge.

It's what I thought he learned from this Makoto Adventure.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fine, game, I've "won" 5 millions in baseball.

Ignore the 300 or so I've had to drop in the cages to get there.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I wish Krazy Kyo and the Yokomichi Silvers were a real band so I could buy a T-shirt.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume you were talking about whether it was in the manual, but yeah the circle triangle x meaning best ok bad thing is just part of the background here and I need to explain to my students that it may not be obvious to foreigners.
No yeah, it was that because me and my bro had to stop the game, connect to the internet and google around.

Kinda weird tbh, that something at that good a level of translation missed a thing like that.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I wish Krazy Kyo and the Yokomichi Silvers were a real band so I could buy a T-shirt.

Kinda wish Sega would have any kind of merch for the series. Just a line of shirts with the various characters tattoos would be nice, or maybe some gaudy tommy bahama type shirts.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I beelined to chapter 6 like someone in the before i play thread suggested and I was just wondering if there was a way to mark which properties Kiryu can actually buy. I googled maps of it because grinding my face against the invisible wall waiting for the LOOK prompt to come up isn't fun but neither is constantly checking my browser

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Guitar Wolf is basically the band they were based on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBMgHBMeKbc

precision fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 20, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I managed to figure out the x triangle circle thing without googling, but at first I thought it somehow translated to controls and was confuse when pressing the different controller face buttons did nothing on that screen. Then I saw my first double o.

As tempting as it is to rush through for dolla dolla bills, I think I'm going to take it a little slower in the hopes of getting more fun advisors from sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Yokohama Ginbae ("silver fly").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPnoqh62e7k