Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I don't have any dedicated pictures of just the TV setup but this is the general idea. That 55" Samsung got moved into our bedroom and was replaced by a 65" C6P. Now I'm strongly debating buying a simple 2.1 system (is it 3.1 with a sub? the audio part is all brand new to me). From what I've gathered, I could get two decent bookshelf speakers, a sub, and a receiver and that would pretty well blow the soundbar out of the water, is that correct? I saw Best Buy has some Klipsch bookshelf speakers on sale for $199.99 for the pair right now but maybe I'll ask in another thread once I get more serious about it.

The other thing I've been debating (with fiance's approval) would be flipping the room around. That window runs along the whole length of the sectional, so the TV would partially block maybe 1/3rd of it, but then at least we could open it more during the day without killing whatever is on the TV. It's not one that gets a huge amount of sun through it, but it's bright enough to cause glare. I know it's generally a no-no but I keep considering it mainly for football/hockey games on the weekend that are on during the day. Or do you guys think that would be a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I call this picture "Oh my god, the glare."

We've actually managed to finagle things so that we both have a spot to sit with no / minimum direct window glare. Still do a lot of closing/opening of blinds though.

Originally planned on getting a center channel and mounting it above the TV, but getting the TV mounted was such a pain and :effort:.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

comper posted:

I don't have any dedicated pictures of just the TV setup but this is the general idea. That 55" Samsung got moved into our bedroom and was replaced by a 65" C6P. Now I'm strongly debating buying a simple 2.1 system (is it 3.1 with a sub? the audio part is all brand new to me). From what I've gathered, I could get two decent bookshelf speakers, a sub, and a receiver and that would pretty well blow the soundbar out of the water, is that correct? I saw Best Buy has some Klipsch bookshelf speakers on sale for $199.99 for the pair right now but maybe I'll ask in another thread once I get more serious about it.

The other thing I've been debating (with fiance's approval) would be flipping the room around. That window runs along the whole length of the sectional, so the TV would partially block maybe 1/3rd of it, but then at least we could open it more during the day without killing whatever is on the TV. It's not one that gets a huge amount of sun through it, but it's bright enough to cause glare. I know it's generally a no-no but I keep considering it mainly for football/hockey games on the weekend that are on during the day. Or do you guys think that would be a bad idea?

The 2 is the left and right spakers, the .1 is the sub.
You should consider maybe a center channel.

Klipsch's site has the R-15m's on sale for $200/pair
http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-bookshelf-speakers#r-15m

They're not the most amazing bookshelf speakers imo, I like the SVS Prime bookshelf better for that price.

That room is hosed though. I don't really know what to tell you about how to set it up. Maybe bring some more pictures? one form each corner.

tk posted:

I call this picture "Oh my god, the glare."

We've actually managed to finagle things so that we both have a spot to sit with no / minimum direct window glare. Still do a lot of closing/opening of blinds though.

Originally planned on getting a center channel and mounting it above the TV, but getting the TV mounted was such a pain and :effort:.

But "your tv should be at eye level."

Honestly though I love that setup and think it looks amazing. You could probably benefit greatly from a center channel but having it above the TV might be weird.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 25, 2017

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Wires ugly...yada, yada, yada. I'm married, my wife hates this room and I don't care. I'll spend some time figuring out a better system when I find some way to possibly contain this amount of wires.

7.2.4 is the only way to go in life.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

7.2.4 is the only way to go in life.

lol, is the '.4' the convention for Atmos now?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Dogcow posted:

lol, is the '.4' the convention for Atmos now?

Yeah. You can go 7.2.2 but why not go all the way out. That's the external amp with the red and green lights running 2 of the .4's

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yeah. You can go 7.2.2 but why not go all the way out.

Particularly when in ceiling and those angled atmos speakers are so cheap now.

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-dolby-atmos-series#rp-140sa

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Yeah, the 4 were Polk Rci80's were as cheap as my two side surround speakers (Fxi A6's).

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Definitely do this.

Just moved into a new place and now half my equipment is balanced.

Wait. I just understood your joke. "Balanced" indeed.

Probably should secure the TV to the wall or screw the stand into the mantelpiece somehow.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I just put in some center heights for my Atmos setup. I thought I'd share for those curious on doing the same:

The units:

I decided to build a backbox for better sound and to minimize sound bleed into other rooms:

Cutting the ceiling, and yeah, I was crooked:

Back boxes installed, silicone used for joint sealing:

The drywall that was cut out were fitted with the speakers, silicone was used to seal the drywall to the backbox, and screwed in securely. I'm now in the middle of patching and painting:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 14, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Very nice. Quality work. I've been very impressed with my Sonance Symphony speakers. What are you running for the rest of your setup audio-wise?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a built-in shelf for an entertainment center in my bedroom that the PO (poorly) made. My SO was complaining that there is no room on the couch to watch TV together, so off to Best Buy we went to buy a small, cheapo TV to throw in there.

That... didn't happen. What did happen was a very significantly price-reduced floor model LG OLED I found sitting casually next to a cash register. Long story short, I talked them down to a price I couldn't pass up and ended up having a ton of Best Buy rewards cash from various business purchases over the last year. I think it ended up costing me something like $326 after tax.

So after various fiddling to get the thing mounted in a hole designed for a TV 15" smaller, I came up with this:

This was taken at eye-level from the bed:

Yes, I know the paint job is really lovely. I think the PO didn't use primer and said "gently caress it" after 2 coats. I'll be painting it something more interesting and fixing the dry wall... eventually. :effort:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

There's a built-in shelf for an entertainment center in my bedroom that the PO (poorly) made. My SO was complaining that there is no room on the couch to watch TV together, so off to Best Buy we went to buy a small, cheapo TV to throw in there.

That... didn't happen. What did happen was a very significantly price-reduced floor model LG OLED I found sitting casually next to a cash register. Long story short, I talked them down to a price I couldn't pass up and ended up having a ton of Best Buy rewards cash from various business purchases over the last year. I think it ended up costing me something like $326 after tax.

So after various fiddling to get the thing mounted in a hole designed for a TV 15" smaller, I came up with this:

This was taken at eye-level from the bed:

Yes, I know the paint job is really lovely. I think the PO didn't use primer and said "gently caress it" after 2 coats. I'll be painting it something more interesting and fixing the dry wall... eventually. :effort:

It's a cool tv but I wouldn't let your parole officer do any more construction in your house.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dude, I could fill a Crappy Construction Tales thread by myself with all the stuff wrong with this house.

Have a bonus pic:

This is below a loving bathtub. I put the jacks in there until I can replace the beams because I'm seriously worried the floor is going to fall through.

Edit: Oh God, I live in GroverHaus.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 14, 2017

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Scrapez posted:

Very nice. Quality work. I've been very impressed with my Sonance Symphony speakers. What are you running for the rest of your setup audio-wise?

It's a bit of a mix, but luckily the timber doesn't seem to be too far off with a properly set crossover and LFE point.
The three front mains, sit behind the screen, are Dayton Audio speaker kits from Parts Express with Shure tweeters and Dayton woofers.
These, but with Shure tweets and different stuffing:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs722cck-speaker-kit-curved-cherry--302-973

Two sub kits from parts express, 15" sealed Daytons.

Rear speakers are I think are Pure Acoustics, nothing crazy.

Front Heights are SVS Prime Elevations.

KillHour posted:

Edit: Oh God, I live in GroverHaus.

:captainpop:

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 14, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice setup. I bet those Daytons sound great. I'm very limited in my living room so running 4.1 with Sonance s625t fronts and s624tr rears.

Impressed with them for non cabinet speakers. I will have a dedicated theater in the next house.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Going to be doing a theater and bar room renovation soon. Currently the theater room has a storage space beside it that is under the stairs leading to the main floor. This is where I have my $50 plastic equipment rack.

I'm going to be converting to an acoustically transparent screen sitting on the close side of the opening (also going to install a frame and door). Since the entry way to the storage will be blocked by the screen, I'd like to cut a hole in the wall, and frame in some recessed shelving for the equipment, and maybe some dimmable led lighting controlled by a smart hub that fades with the room lighting.

Since all my speaker wiring already is run into that room, this seems like a no brainer. Am I missing anything ?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Scrapez posted:

Nice setup. I bet those Daytons sound great. I'm very limited in my living room so running 4.1 with Sonance s625t fronts and s624tr rears.

Impressed with them for non cabinet speakers. I will have a dedicated theater in the next house.

The daytons are the only thing I haven't considered switching out in 4 years since I've had them.

jonathan posted:

Going to be doing a theater and bar room renovation soon. Currently the theater room has a storage space beside it that is under the stairs leading to the main floor. This is where I have my $50 plastic equipment rack.

I'm going to be converting to an acoustically transparent screen sitting on the close side of the opening (also going to install a frame and door). Since the entry way to the storage will be blocked by the screen, I'd like to cut a hole in the wall, and frame in some recessed shelving for the equipment, and maybe some dimmable led lighting controlled by a smart hub that fades with the room lighting.

Since all my speaker wiring already is run into that room, this seems like a no brainer. Am I missing anything ?

I'd run extra wires just in case, but you will be loving with it, a lot. That's why I would invest in a swing out.
http://www.cableorganizer.com/computer-cabinets/great-lakes/wall-mount-swing-open-rack-gl.htm?gcssku=QGL-24WMOSR

Also, if you haven't ordered screen material yet, I'd recommend the Rosebrand Microperf. It's cheap for what it is. I'm loving over the cloth stuff.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product341...2bPVC%2bScreens

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 15, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The daytons are the only thing I haven't considered switching out in 4 years since I've had them.

I'd run extra wires just in case, but you will be loving with it, a lot. That's why I would invest in a swing out.
http://www.cableorganizer.com/computer-cabinets/great-lakes/wall-mount-swing-open-rack-gl.htm?gcssku=QGL-24WMOSR

Also, if you haven't ordered screen material yet, I'd recommend the Rosebrand Microperf. It's cheap for what it is. I'm loving over the cloth stuff.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product341...2bPVC%2bScreens

The normal standard rack will be kind of weird since I have a router, switch, 5ghz transmitter, nexus player, NAS drive etc, all non standard stuff.

Running more lines is trivial as I have a drop/t-bar ceiling and can literally just toss wire over the wall into the storage room. As for screen material, original 2 layers of spandex 1 white 1 silver was the go to DIY material. I haven't looked into it in 5 years though. I'll check that stuff out.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

jonathan posted:

My first question would be: Do you still use hard media? (blu-rays) Or is there any other reason you'd need physical access to the front of the equipment to run it?

If the answer is no, or could be no, I'd not bother with a cut through. I would put the equipment on a rack in that storage room and then get a Harmony Hub or equivalent that will let you control it all from the main theater room. It leaves it out of sight and gives you great access to the front and back of the equipment. Not having access to the equipment or having it in a cramped space gets really old, really fast.

Edit: A normal rack can still work fine for you even if you have non-rack mountable equipment. They make a multitude of different shelving options that are 1u, 2u, etc. Would be the same as setting the devices up on a shelf in an a/v stand.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Real racks also make cable management a breeze.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

jonathan posted:

The normal standard rack will be kind of weird since I have a router, switch, 5ghz transmitter, nexus player, NAS drive etc, all non standard stuff.

Running more lines is trivial as I have a drop/t-bar ceiling and can literally just toss wire over the wall into the storage room. As for screen material, original 2 layers of spandex 1 white 1 silver was the go to DIY material. I haven't looked into it in 5 years though. I'll check that stuff out.

I had two cloth materials and the patterns in them drove me nuts. The perforations in this material are nice and tight. My eyes are about 10 feet from the screen and the perforations are only noticeable in some high bright scenes, and even then they aren't annoying. Audessy takes care of the high frequency loss and the only time sound is an issue is if you are extremely off axis.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Moved over the summer, mostly new setup now:

LG B6 OLED
Speakers are all Axiom Audio, same as my last post from a while ago except rears which are QS8s.
Denon X1200

Sources:
Roku 4
Xbone S
AppleTV
Steam Link

:whatup:

:getin:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Speakers are Dynaudio Emit M10s and the center is the corresponding center. The tv is 32", old and from like 2008, I need to update but I don't have space for something too huge. In the cabinet I have a Denon x4200, an xbone, wii, PS2, and PS3 and my sub which is a Waterfall Highforce 1. The record player is a Rega RP1 w/ perf pack that I got for nothing when Insound went under. All Art is by James Jean. Booze is all stuff people have left behind.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Animale posted:

Speakers are Dynaudio Emit M10s and the center is the corresponding center. The tv is 32", old and from like 2008, I need to update but I don't have space for something too huge. In the cabinet I have a Denon x4200, an xbone, wii, PS2, and PS3 and my sub which is a Waterfall Highforce 1. The record player is a Rega RP1 w/ perf pack that I got for nothing when Insound went under. All Art is by James Jean. Booze is all stuff people have left behind.

Nice setup. Where'd you get the cabinet?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nice setup. Where'd you get the cabinet?

The DWR outlet, so it wasn't as crazy expensive as it is on DWR. http://www.dwr.com/storage-credenzas-sideboards/line-credenza%2C-small/5157.html

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Recently added these puppies to my AV setup.

JH Audio 13proV2 Custom In-Ear Monitors

By far the best sounding earbuds/headphones I've ever used. Not sure I can justify the cost, but they are pretty amazing and I'm definitely impressed.

bEatmstrJ fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 15, 2017

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Went down to the tip shop and spent $10 on speakers:

Nice little 1.1 system in the garden for a Sunday arvo barbie:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Real racks also make cable management a breeze.

Real racks are a fortune.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Check these out for racks on a budget:

http://www.spacepac.com.au/Brochures/Zip-Rack/19inch-RackSystem_2pg_np.pdf

Also search for '19" channel racks' for another type that are okay in out of the way places.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 27, 2017

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

$20 from the tip shop. Playing off summed mono from the avr in the lounge, delayed and attenuated to blend with the lounge sub.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Moved into a new house last year, finally getting around to working on my home theater/audio setup.

The room with our TV is 18'x19' and in the top 4 corners are pre-mounted speakers with speaker wire run in the walls to where the TV sits.

The speakers are from the Samsung HT-Z410 set as best I can tell from google, and are PS-FZ410 (with the slight variations for Left, Right, etc names). They have an impedance of 3 ohms. Correct manual, I think, showing speaker specs

I want to keep the speakers to minimize my cost at this time.

I also have a subwoofer and center speaker from an older setup of mine from cheapo walmart land, a RCA RT2870 impedance of 8 ohms. This setup

I would like to at least replace the center speaker with one better matched to the other speakers. And would be up for replacing the subwoofer also.

What receiver should I get? Would Denon AVR-S510BT be good for me? I run a PS3 slim, Chromecast, and likely also a HDMI in from a comcast X1 box.

What center speaker and (possibly) subwoofer should I also get?

I would like to keep receiver + new speaker cost at sub $500 but I'm open to spending a bit more if required. Please educate me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

$20 from the tip shop. Playing off summed mono from the avr in the lounge, delayed and attenuated to blend with the lounge sub.

Don't take this as an insult, but the colours and setup of that room remind me of those houses they'd construct for fake towns to get hit by the a-bomb tests.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

jonathan posted:

Don't take this as an insult, but the colours and setup of that room remind me of those houses they'd construct for fake towns to get hit by the a-bomb tests.

The midwest is still waiting for the a-bombs to hit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tangy yet delightful posted:

Moved into a new house last year, finally getting around to working on my home theater/audio setup.

The room with our TV is 18'x19' and in the top 4 corners are pre-mounted speakers with speaker wire run in the walls to where the TV sits.

The speakers are from the Samsung HT-Z410 set as best I can tell from google, and are PS-FZ410 (with the slight variations for Left, Right, etc names). They have an impedance of 3 ohms. Correct manual, I think, showing speaker specs

I want to keep the speakers to minimize my cost at this time.

I also have a subwoofer and center speaker from an older setup of mine from cheapo walmart land, a RCA RT2870 impedance of 8 ohms. This setup

I would like to at least replace the center speaker with one better matched to the other speakers. And would be up for replacing the subwoofer also.

What receiver should I get? Would Denon AVR-S510BT be good for me? I run a PS3 slim, Chromecast, and likely also a HDMI in from a comcast X1 box.

What center speaker and (possibly) subwoofer should I also get?

I would like to keep receiver + new speaker cost at sub $500 but I'm open to spending a bit more if required. Please educate me.

The question and answers thread is located here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

You will likely get more advice there. With that said, 3 ohm rated speakers will be very hard to drive for most mid-grade or lower receivers/amps. For home audio, 8ohm is usually the common one, 6 and 4 exist also but 4 is usually for limited production stuff and intended to be used with very high end receivers, or people with separate amps. 3ohm is kinda only used in home theater in a box setups. You won't be able to push them very loud as the current draw will be huge and the receiver will reach it's limits long before the speakers, ie "amp clipping".

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the info, will cross-post there when I get home.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

jonathan posted:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:golfclap:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i found this credenza looking through flickr. i really, really like it, and my equipment would look great in it. anybody have a clue who makes this or where it can be bought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Abel Wingnut posted:

i found this credenza looking through flickr. i really, really like it, and my equipment would look great in it. anybody have a clue who makes this or where it can be bought?

I'm more interested in those stands. They're loving perfect for my Beovox s80.2's
I've already got the stock stands for my beovox MC 120.2 but they're not that great. They tilt the speakers but the speakers bob around too much and it negatively affects the sound.
I think those look much more rigid and still very handsome, and the tilt looks just about right.

edit: they're custom Dynaco a25 stands

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 20, 2017