Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

OK I just watched the first 3 episodes of new 24 and what the gently caress are you nerds complaining about? This is awesome vintage Dumb as hell 24! I cannot imagine what people are having problems with, CTU still sucks at their job, the new Jack is still a damaged lone badass, it's still vaguely-to-very racist towards muslims, dudes get shot a lot, the plot is stupid as all hell with multiple twists; it's 24 as gently caress!

It's tepid, no energy, no intensity without that 24 loses a lot of its appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Is there anything to discuss though? I mean the show is basically non-stop melodrama the show and if you wonder what is going to happen at any moment the answer is "the most dramatic segue into something hopeful possible". I mean I enjoy the show but there are soap operas with more restrained dramatic developments.

I just want more people to bitch about Toby with :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DivisionPost posted:

I'd like to know more about any of this.

Checking later: Fran Lebowitz.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
James Corden's biggest fault is that he is not Craig Ferguson.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

I just want more people to bitch about Toby with :(

Well I just can't do that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Well I just can't do that.

He was really lovely in this latest episode. oh i don't wanna marry you yet because you can't quite bring yourself to tell me this insanely deep, personal fact about your family history that still clearly upsets you and that you struggle with so much. That was entirely his own hangups, and he shouldn't punish her for that. especially when it's obviously just so it can happen in the finale.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bentacos posted:

Well you can't hold that against him, but you can hold against him that his interviews are pretty boring and he's not that funny.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bentacos posted:

Ferguson was lightning in a bottle. I don't think even he could recreate what he had on that show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bruceski posted:

Ferguson was lightning in a bottle. I don't think even he could recreate what he had on that show.

He's got a live weekday "format-free" show starting on SiriusXM next week, in which he basically gets to do whatever the gently caress he wants for two hours every day. I'll be interested to see how that shakes out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

He's got a live weekday "format-free" show starting on SiriusXM next week, in which he basically gets to do whatever the gently caress he wants for two hours every day. I'll be interested to see how that shakes out.
I saw his stand up tour a couple years ago.

It was disappointing. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Josh Lyman posted:

I saw his stand up tour a couple years ago.

It was disappointing. :(

Really? I saw him in Madison back in ... I don't know, maybe November of 2014 and thought it was great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw his TV special and it was torture.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Aphrodite posted:

I saw his TV special and it was torture.

I do think he's better when he has someone to play off of. His Late Late Show found its footing relatively quickly, but it didn't start becoming something really special until Geoff Peterson came along (and then it became next-level transcendence when they brought Josh Robert Thompson in to voice him live, instead of using a sound board).

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 20, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Eric Andre is about a billion times better than Craig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGa0n-WElE

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nah

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Eric Andre is about a billion times better than Craig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGa0n-WElE

I like Eric Andre but come on, man

edit: Their comedic stylings couldn't be more different either.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vanderdeath posted:

Mu Zeta is just identity signaling, it's not really pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah, they just announced Blue Planet II. Presumably gettin it all out of the way before Attenborough croaks, but I ain't complaining.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanderdeath posted:

I like Eric Andre but come on, man

They are both pretty much post modern talk show hosts. One has the talking horse and rips up his note cards and the other has Kraft Punk queefing liquid cheese on his guests. It's the same genre and format.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If we had a thread for Girls this season the subtitle would have to be "What is the meaning of this loving oval office parade?"

Loving season 6 so far.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

He was really lovely in this latest episode. oh i don't wanna marry you yet because you can't quite bring yourself to tell me this insanely deep, personal fact about your family history that still clearly upsets you and that you struggle with so much. That was entirely his own hangups, and he shouldn't punish her for that. especially when it's obviously just so it can happen in the finale.

He's not entirely wrong there though. She did lead him to previously believe she was spending Sundays with her father whose actually dead but she's still watching football with his ashes.

While I agree that it's a hangup on his end, her hangup over her own father was/is a thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

If we had a thread for Girls this season the subtitle would have to be "What is the meaning of this loving oval office parade?"

Loving season 6 so far.

I'm really happy that show turned around so much. Season 2 was a colossal mis-step but everything from 3 onward has been pretty brilliant.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But...season 2 is the best season and 3-4 are a bit too dull before the actual turnaround in season 5?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

So Donald Glover is playing Simba in a live action Lion King remake. This better not mean even more delays before season 2 of Atlanta (which is already delayed while he does Star Wars) :/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He'll just be doing the voice for a CGI lion so should be ok

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

But...season 2 is the best season

I thought you didn't smoke weed anymore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
season 2 is easily my favourite. it's definitely the most......i dunno, anti-mainstream? but also easily the most powerful i think. it's a shame about ray followed by one man's trash followed by boys is an incredible run of television, and it also has amazing scenes like adam making that girl crawl

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Girls, HBO just announced that all of next Sunday's shows will be up on Go/Now on Friday to avoid any conflicts with the Oscars.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome. I also checked out the first ep of that Pete Holmes show Crashing and enjoyed it a lot. Artie Lange is hilarious as himself.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

blunt posted:

So Donald Glover is playing Simba in a live action Lion King remake. This better not mean even more delays before season 2 of Atlanta (which is already delayed while he does Star Wars) :/

Is it really live-action if every single character and backdrop is likely to be CG?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motion capture performances most likely. It's a blurry line to be sure.

Look at Jungle Book. The only real difference between that and this is a single human character. The animals were all motion capture though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finally checking out Orange is the New Black again. Season 3 just lost me. I quit watching about 2/3 of the way through. So I just started bavk up at the beginning if season 4. I'm about 5 episodes in and it's already much better.

I still hate Piper, but she inadvertently just founded a white supremacist group, which is pretty hilarious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, in S4 they kind of embrace hating Piper and it gets really weird/intense/kinda funny and she kind of gets sympathetic again.

A little.

But by bailing on the end of S3 I think you miss some key things to hate Piper on like her framing Ruby Rose and getting her sent to max.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm addicted to Shameless. On season 3 now. I don't like the Steve/Jimmy mob plot; it doesn't fit in the show but everything else is still good!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, in S4 they kind of embrace hating Piper and it gets really weird/intense/kinda funny and she kind of gets sympathetic again.

A little.

But by bailing on the end of S3 I think you miss some key things to hate Piper on like her framing Ruby Rose and getting her sent to max.

I had my roomie fill me in on stuff that I missed, since we are watching together and she didn't bail on s3.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I didn't know Steve Irwin had a son, I only ever heard of his daughter. Bindi, I think?

You don't remember this controversy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWYfENFLSA

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I hate myself so I have begun the Smallville binge watch. The opening CG moon, earth and corn is bad even for the era.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Well I hate myself so I have begun the Smallville binge watch. The opening CG moon, earth and corn is bad even for the era.

You are officially excommunicated from The TV IV. Do not post again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

You are officially excommunicated from The TV IV. Do not post again.

U KAN'T STAHP MEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

Why in God's name are you doing this?

Like, if you were binging Dexter or something I'd understand. There's some good seasons and its "only" 96 episodes in total.

But you're choosing to watch 218 episodes of a show that had like maybe a dozen or 2 dozen "good" episodes and most of that was just from comic fans who were starved for comic stuff in a different time before we got a poo poo ton of it?

Why would you do this to yourself?

This is why people can be locked up for their own safety.

• Locked thread