Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Knowing them that's probably intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This has been a genuinely excellent year for gaming so far. There are very few games I've played I was disappointed in and I know for a fact several upcoming games are good because I've played them. (Looking at you, Persona.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gaming in the Trump Years is gonna be great.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This has been a genuinely excellent year for gaming so far. There are very few games I've played I was disappointed in and I know for a fact several upcoming games are good because I've played them. (Looking at you, Persona.)

How's Horizon turning out

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Knowing them that's probably intentional.

Yes, it's intentional.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sakurazuka posted:

The DS3 DLC is March not Feb

For some reason I said tomorrow not next month. Corrected. Still makes for a strong first half of the year, along with everything else.

verbal enema posted:

"South Park: Fractured Butthole"

Great title

The real title is South Park: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE

so let's just skip it ad call it the real title they were going for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

How's Horizon turning out

I can't really say much about it quality-wise since it is under embargo but I expect it to get a positive reception. I finished it just a few moments ago.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ImpAtom posted:

The only problem is, it's very hard to afford everything. You have to pick your battles, buy some games, complete them, and buy some more.

Even last year's Q4 was pretty good, Battlefield showed that WWI is good enough to entice the hearts of millions of people to call each other fags and snipe and NOT CAPTURE THE loving OBJECTIVE online.

Titanfall 2 was fantastic and way better than most people expected.

We even finally got Final Fantasy 15AND The Last Guardian, and while not world changing as years and years of work would make you think, they were at least pretty good, and very good if you were into final fantasy already or team ico's game before.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm really curious about how history remembers FF15. It did many things well and was so very charming but it also was loving terrible in many more and the story was garbage. I don't think I've ever experienced such a mixed bag before.

But yeah it's been a great 6 months for games, especially out of Japan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

save your money and buy every cool game released in q1/q2 during the christmas sale for $20-30 a pop

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fingers McGee posted:

I'm looking for a chill controller game to play after sweaty PC FPSing. Im burnt on diablo3 and I know, I know, bloodborne, but I've never played a Souls game and every time I watch gameplay I feel like I would get bored. I tried For Honor, it was cool but not chill enough really.

Hohokum is the chillest game on the Sony PlayStation Four console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I'm really curious about how history remembers FF15. It did many things well and was so very charming but it also was loving terrible in many more and the story was garbage. I don't think I've ever experienced such a mixed bag before.

But yeah it's been a great 6 months for games, especially out of Japan.

I think a lot of it will depend on how much is fixed by later patches and DLC. It will probably lose a lot of its shine but if they polish what they have enough it will probably be remembered relatively fondly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double post

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think people will look back on ff15 fondly because of its history. it's a good game, but it's also a good game in spite of its history. nobody expected it to be any good

the patches that fix the story are gonna come after most people finish the game and never look back, so as long as they don't get a bunch of negative press then I think that just having those patches at all will add to the positive reception

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think people will look back on ff15 fondly because of its history. it's a good game, but it's also a good game in spite of its history. nobody expected it to be any good

the patches that fix the story are gonna come after most people finish the game and never look back, so as long as they don't get a bunch of negative press then I think that just having those patches at all will add to the positive reception
I still have no idea what the hell they are thinking, trying to patch the story. I didn't work for the end of ME3 and I doubt it's going to work here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still have no idea what the hell they are thinking, trying to patch the story. I didn't work for the end of ME3 and I doubt it's going to work here.

Eh, it sort of did. The ending patch alone didn't 'fix' ME3 but it combined with the Citadel patch seemed to have paved over a lot of anger.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it sort of did. The ending patch alone didn't 'fix' ME3 but it combined with the Citadel patch seemed to have paved over a lot of anger.

There was way more outrage over the ending of ME3. Because the ending wasn't what people wanted, and they hated the idea of 3 color choice endings.

FF15 (at least from what I hear), the plot is more... entangled? than your usual final fantasy plot. The plot is at least there, and it has a better... ending than ME3. It just needs some restructuring. It might even be better received when we get a PS5, and FFXV 4k Remaster with all DLC and patches intact.

You have to give Square props for trying. If Bioware didn't have so much hate over the ME3 DLC, they probably wouldn't have patched it at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXV's problem is basically that 2/3rds of the game is clearly cut for time and you get the cliff notes version, yeah. I'm not sure how much of that they can fix but it does end strongly which is an important thing. People I think can forgive a weak middle more than a weak ending.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i mean you couldve patched the ending of me3 if they had patched the ending for me3 and added an ending but what they did was barely add a cutscene. ffxv supposedly still has like most of the team still working on the game or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

me3 wasn't just the weak ending to a game; it was the weak ending to a trilogy of games, in which you made choices that shaped your character and the universe (s)he lived in. having an awful ending was a much bigger deal with that game because it was following two critically and fan acclaimed games that were liked in large part because of the characters and the story

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

me3 wasn't just the weak ending to a game; it was the weak ending to a trilogy of games, in which you made choices that shaped your character and the universe (s)he lived in. having an awful ending was a much bigger deal with that game because it was following two critically and fan acclaimed games that were liked in large part because of the characters and the story

Yeah again this is why FFXV might fair better than ME3.

People were VERY loving UPSET about taking their Shepard through an entire trilogy, to what basically amounts to a cop-out ending. They bonded with their Shepard over what, 5 years? Nobody bonded with Noctis and his gang.

FFXV just needs more content in between. And maybe a little work done to pacing (if that can be achievable) and it'd be so far better.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i mean you couldve patched the ending of me3 if they had patched the ending for me3 and added an ending but what they did was barely add a cutscene. ffxv supposedly still has like most of the team still working on the game or something

Citadel is kind of like this. I'm sure not officially, but it's intended to somehow takeplace after the ending. Bioware was stuck with the hole they wrote themselves into, and it would have likely been embarrassing for them to retcon it and write something completely different.

FFXV doesn't need the ending to be rewritten or something. It just needs more writing in the middle.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Noctis is one of the better protagonists FF has had since at least XII. It's the first time in years they actually got me to care about the main character.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unfortunately mass effect 3 had a lot of really weak stuff totally unrelated to the ending, so even if they had patched in a great ending, it wouldn't have fixed the majority of it. See: Kai leng, that goddamn kid, most of the neutral dialogue options going away

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Digirat posted:

Unfortunately mass effect 3 had a lot of really weak stuff totally unrelated to the ending, so even if they had patched in a great ending, it wouldn't have fixed the majority of it. See: Kai leng, that goddamn kid, most of the neutral dialogue options going away

It has some really good highs though, so those could have been forgiven but essentially the ending broke the camels back and opened the floodgates to bitching.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Nobody bonded with Noctis and his gang.

FFXV just needs more content in between. And maybe a little work done to pacing (if that can be achievable) and it'd be so far better.

I liked Noct & co :smith:

Hence I'm disappointed we didn't get to see them restore Insomnia and the rest of the kingdom

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Ineffiable posted:

It has some really good highs though, so those could have been forgiven but essentially the ending broke the camels back and opened the floodgates to bitching.

Yeah, the kid and Kai Leng would have been considered "lovely but ultimately acceptable low points to a great ending" if Bioware had managed to stick it instead of what they did.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

Honestly, they had two full games of lore and characters to draw on and they throw in a kid noone cares about to be the emotional lynchpin and some dude who reads like a weeaboo's space Mary Sue as a big bad :barf:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also the developers at every step along the way for five years told people the trilogy would absolutely not end in an arbitrary choice. Whoops.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also the developers at every step along the way for five years told people the trilogy would absolutely not end in an arbitrary choice. Whoops.

The ending to Mass Effect 2 was cool and dynamic, better not do that again

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The ending to Mass Effect 2 was cool and dynamic, better not do that again

I'm still steamed over that whole shitpile. Harbinger was so fantastic in me2. for him to be replaced by some fuckwit weaboo from an EU novel of all things is just baffling. but it's been 4 years since that poo poo and I was thinking of giving the new one a shot, but hey, nier automata is coming out in the same month so screw that game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The ending to Mass Effect 3 involves the player being badly injured and walking slowly down a hallway which is always fun in videogames.

Mass Effect the first had the best villain.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah I agree saren was better but it seemed like harbinger had so much potential that I was super ready to see it all culminate into something final and amazing in ME3. but gently caress me I get Kai leng, I guess. Also I loved that the neutral ending was you literally doing exactly what saren was trying to do. and that's the "fixed" ending.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

polish sausage posted:

Yeah I agree saren was better but it seemed like harbinger had so much potential that I was super ready to see it all culminate into something final and amazing in ME3. but gently caress me I get Kai leng, I guess.

No I meant Sovereign, I love it's cool voice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The fact that mass effect 2 has such an incredibly satisfying ending in spite of some dumb stuff (mainly the silly giant terminator boss with glowing weak points) is a testament to how much of a better game it is in general. Everything bad people say about being forced to join cerberus and the collectors being random out-of-place throwaway baddies is completely true, but when I finished ME2, I was goddamn pumped for 3 and immediately wanted to start another playthrough. When I finished 3, I just did not care about the setting anymore and have not bothered to play it a second time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wasn't super disappointed by me3 (tho I was incredulous at the insanely bad ending because how could you not be), but then again I'd played dragon age 2 by then and lol

I would say that me3 was more lows than it was highs tho. they should have just spun the multiplayer horde mode into a full game by itself because it was the best part

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nioh is very, very good y'all.

Now I'm thinking about what's next before Nier. I think I might do Horizon but even then there's still a week

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wasn't super disappointed by me3 (tho I was incredulous at the insanely bad ending because how could you not be), but then again I'd played dragon age 2 by then and lol

I would say that me3 was more lows than it was highs tho. they should have just spun the multiplayer horde mode into a full game by itself because it was the best part

I'm the one who avoided dragon age 2 because I was saving myself for the superior bioware game. Man I really got played. I never got to play the multiplayer for me3 tho because I "accidently" broke the disc and "accidently" threw it in the garbage can after the ending patch. Also sfxtekken came out in the same month and hot drat if march 2013 wasn't a poo poo month for me when it came to games. anywho im pretty content with my one game a month plan: Yakuza 0 in January, For Honor in February, nier in march, Persona in April, Injustice in May, and Tekken 7 in june. I've been pretty happy with this so far. I didn't think I'd like for honor as much as I do, but boy, I sure do.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was insanely disappointed with FFXV. I think maybe because I was really hoping it would be good. I feel pretty miffed for paying £40 for what is essentially a bare shell of a game :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well Horizon's first reviews are glowing.

which honestly after everything I've seen of it leaves me going "How?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mass Effect 3 is the superior Bioware game despite it being only half a good game and half an awful one. Dragon Age 2 is just that bad.

Having said that, I'm adopting a wait and see approach with Andromeda. I like the ideas and concept behind what they've shown so far, but I just don't trust modern Bioware to not completely gently caress it up.