Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
UFC is losing guys for the following reasons
1. Wme is going to cut back on cards, as they should, because there were too many insanely bad cards at 2 pm in Sweden or whatever.
2. As long as there is any other company that has a tv presence, UFC will bleed guys under the reebok deal. If you're not getting ppv points, the UFC likely has to pay you 2 to 3 times what bellator would to compensate you for wearing the reebok kit, which they will not.
3. Him and his super friends quoting each other in every post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
4. Oh sorry also the drug testing thing I forgot.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So we need a card with Weidman, Black Beast, Bigg Rigg, and Yoel Romero so Blue Deanie can dump an endless stream of poop jokes in a fight night OP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/timsylviamma/status/833543888979771392

just mad because Lewis didn't poo poo himself in the cage, leaving himself as the only heavyweight to have done so.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johny Hendricks should fight Anderson Silva

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

re: the "fewer cards" thing, I don't think it'll be much fewer. They'll probably go away from having Thursday/Friday/Saturday cards, or 2 cards in one night where there's an international one during the day and something in Vegas at night, but we'll probably still have an average of 3.5 events per month. They still need to have volume to sell for the next TV deal.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gay Horney posted:

Getting through Gonzaga, Nelson and Browne without really getting rocked is pretty impressive. Does Rothwell have a fight? He'd be perfect for Derrick.

He's fighting Werdum at 211.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

4. Oh sorry also the drug testing thing I forgot.

How long have you been in Jose Aldo's training camp?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm not going to make fun of Tim Sylvia for chiding somebody for having charisma because it's perfectly reasonable for Tim Sylvia to feel like that

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm not going to make fun of Tim Sylvia for chiding somebody for having charisma because it's perfectly reasonable for Tim Sylvia to feel like that

Destroying someone after they're clearly out, announcing that you would like to gently caress Ronda in your post fight presser, and being able to hold your poo poo inside of your body is a recipe for being far far more likeable than Tim Sylvia

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gay Horney posted:

Destroying someone after they're clearly out, announcing that you would like to gently caress Ronda in your post fight presser, and being able to hold your poo poo inside of your body is a recipe for being far far more likeable than Tim Sylvia

There's a lot of things that are a recipe for that, in all fairness.

Travis Browne, however, fulfilled one of the things that makes you somehow less likeable than Tim Sylvia.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a lot of sympathy for Tim Sylvia. After all, he does have to cope with being Tim Sylvia. Probably the second-least respected champion in UFC history (after Esparza), and by far the most depressing ratio of respect to accomplishment.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm glad Lombard lost

Same to the max

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Tim Sylvia is the definition of beige.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hes tall fat and stupid

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Rigel posted:

re: the "fewer cards" thing, I don't think it'll be much fewer. They'll probably go away from having Thursday/Friday/Saturday cards, or 2 cards in one night where there's an international one during the day and something in Vegas at night, but we'll probably still have an average of 3.5 events per month. They still need to have volume to sell for the next TV deal.

I think the cards will be a lot shorter and more stacked on star power. Also probably they'll have fewer PPV's but more TV cards.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Last page chat, but i don't think its unreasonable that Joe Silva got 2-3% of the payout plus whatever he had been putting away for years. I think he's probably under 250m at this point, but would not be remotely surprised to see him north of 100m in net worth.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm just now watching the card from last night on DVR. What is the number they are giving after their weight? Is that how much they put on between the weigh in and fight?

Edit: Nevermind it's the number of bouts.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 20, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

1st AD posted:

I think the cards will be a lot shorter and more stacked on star power. Also probably they'll have fewer PPV's but more TV cards.

I think the number of fights per event will be the same, we'll still have 12-13 fights targetted (dropping to 10 or 11 with injuries), but they'll rely more often on local talent in the prelim and fightpass prelim who they will cut right after the show if they lose or were boring.

Agree on fewer PPV and more TV, if the UFC gets to a point where there is a bidding war between FOX, ABC/ESPN, CBS, and NBC for only two packages, then the networks will make it worth their while to have PPV's maybe only every other month, and more championship fights on TV.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 20, 2017

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
It's funny that Derrick Lewis beat Travis Browne while having to poop really bad

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I can barely even hold a conversation if I have to poop really bad

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol. my favourite hector lombard stories are when josh barnett got fed up of him bullying smaller people in the gym so he pinned him down and beat the poo poo out of him, and when dan henderson said he didn't like gym bullies and had heard things about lombard, so lombard immediately started trying to intimidate him at presser events and then hendo knocked him extremely unconscious
ahaha, do you have a source for either of those feel-good tales

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheRationalRedditor posted:

ahaha, do you have a source for either of those feel-good tales

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDEypgYGGI&t=67s

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-199-dan-henderson-responds-to-hector-lombard-addresses-retirement-rumors-060116

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5QGusJokM&t=219s

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

hendo is the greatest

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Dan Henderson does not let a little thing like another fighter being unconsciousness stop him from continuing to pulverise him

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Say what you will about Josh Barnett's 18 different positive steroid tests, but the man is by all accounts a great coach and did CSW a great service by humiliating Lombard so badly that he never returned

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
thanks dunc. That elbow is still the best, it's like if a spastic flailing move from a youtube super saiyan transformation katana collecting autism teen got zapped with the computer from 'Weird Science' and became real + deadly

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love that the guy who has the worst reputation as a gym bully is named "Hector Lombard."

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

thanks dunc. That elbow is still the best, it's like if a spastic flailing move from a youtube super saiyan transformation katana collecting autism teen got zapped with the computer from 'Weird Science' and became real + deadly
It's a Fryklund elbow, but thrown from one leg, meaning Dan Henderson is better than Anderson Silva.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

freud mayweather posted:

It's a Fryklund elbow, but thrown from one leg, meaning Dan Henderson is better than Anderson Silva.

I googled Fryklund elbow expecting to see a dude named Fryklund land a reverse elbow.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Mr. Nice! posted:

Last page chat, but i don't think its unreasonable that Joe Silva got 2-3% of the payout plus whatever he had been putting away for years. I think he's probably under 250m at this point, but would not be remotely surprised to see him north of 100m in net worth.

How do you come up with that number? Was he an investor? Why would an employee be given that large of an ownership share?

Lots of bad business theories itt lately.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

n8r posted:

How do you come up with that number? Was he an investor? Why would an employee be given that large of an ownership share?

supposedly he was given equity very early on before their value blew up, any number is just a guess at how much though. He wasn't just any random employee he was an executive that helped build the company in a huge way

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

n8r posted:

I don't think its unreasonable at all to believe that Joe Silva, the man responsible for most of the success the UFC had over the past 20 years, had some equity given to him at some point. It's pretty common, even in closely held businesses like Zuffa, LLC, to give equity as a bonus or a part of the pay structure. Reports were that Silva got a massive payout as a part of the WME purchase, which would indicate some sort of equity. The bulk of the $4 billion obviously went to Frank and Lorenzo, but I have no doubt in my mind that Joe Silva had some equity in the company. It's not at all crazy to imagine 2-3%.

e:f;b.

Skip My Posts posted:

supposedly he was given equity very early on before their value blew up, any number is just a guess at how much though. He wasn't just any random employee he was an executive that helped build the company in a huge way

Exactly. Before the WEC merger, Silva was the only matchmaker and still ran 155+ after Shelby came on board to run the smaller divisions. Silva personally extended himself massively in the early days and was one of the only SEG employees kept on when the Fertittas bought the UFC. Joe Silva is probably more responsible for the success of the company than Dana or Lorenzo, but it was all behind the scenes so only nerds like us give a drat about him.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2017

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
speculating about whatever percentage stake joe silva may have had is immaterial, if it was a quarter of a percent it'd still be in excess of 10 million bucks, and the dude lives in virginia, not vegas. he's somewhere on the scale between set for life and set for a million lifetimes

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i'd believe he could have made upwards of 100 million from the sale. who knows? he's been around forever and was directly underneath dana/the fertittas.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
man set up his family forever by bitching about fights online, livin the dream

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
just while we're on matchmaker chat, sean shelby's face always makes me think of michael sheen and he should be interviewing fake richard nixons

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip My Posts posted:

man set up his family forever by bitching about fights online, livin the dream

Not even online, in letters to the editor section of Wrestling Observer magazine.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

speculating about whatever percentage stake joe silva may have had is immaterial, if it was a quarter of a percent it'd still be in excess of 10 million bucks, and the dude lives in virginia, not vegas. he's somewhere on the scale between set for life and set for a million lifetimes

Yeah but what else am I going to do on a monday afternoon?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

I googled Fryklund elbow expecting to see a dude named Fryklund land a reverse elbow.

i suppose he did land it. in the sense that those guys with red and green table tennis paddles used to land planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
good card last night .. as mr tumor loving batty said in the thread, coach zahabis brother fought on it. and hes rather good

• Locked thread